Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Either way, I think Mayer is in play for our first. Bienemy had Kelce. Roman has 300 tight ends.

Not saying we do it. Just that it's not out of the realm of possibility for either of them to push for Mayer. I think we are essentially locked into OL... but just thinking out loud. 

I agree we are locked in at OL or CB most likely. Cant see them passing on either of those positions for a TE. But who knows?

Robinson looks the part of a quality starting RB. I don't think he'll be a stud or anything but you don't need that in today's NFL. I put his low YPC more on bad playcalling. We ran too often in obvious run situations. I think he'd get much higher YPC in a more pass friendly offense that opens things up more.

I like him and Gibson as a duo.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think RR was just talking and didn’t think Bienemy was an option. He did say he doesn’t want to play it safe just recently.

Kinda like he did immediately after last season when he said the team needed to upgrade the linebacking unit…. and then later in the off-season he wavered and said he has seen more film of Holcomb and they were pleased with his progress so they didn’t do anything?!?!

It explains why his team is where it is…. and we all expect him to be fired.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Kinda like he did immediately after last season when he said the team needed to upgrade the linebacking unit…. and then later in the off-season he wavered and said he has seen more film of Holcomb and they were pleased with his progress so they didn’t do anything?!?!

It explains why his team is where it is…. and we all expect him to be fired.

I’m not defending him one way or the other. But taking any HC at their word completely is always something I recommend against. They say what they need to but don’t always say everything they can.

He probably imagined being run heavy due to current personnel and sophomore QB, now his thoughts are evolving and sees Bienemy as a real option.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

My 2 cents.

I prefer EB… because of the makeup of the roster.

But when the season ended…. RR was questioned about the offense’s lack of identity. And he responded by saying that he wanted to be a run-oriented ball control team with read option. 

To me, the hire then has to be Roman.

If he hires EB…. where I don’t remember the Chiefs ever having a prominent running game… the RR is once again showing a lack of awareness.

Or you’re showing a lack of awareness of what Rivera’s been trying to do since he got here—figure out QB and throw the ball. Notably, he’s failed at this, but it’s been his goal all along. The post-season presser was just he and Mayhew filling airtime talking about the one thing we did pretty well so that they didn’t have to talk about the failure of the Wentz acquisition longer than they had to. It’s obvious Rivera knows the direction the league has gone and only ever resorts to the 1980’s run game as a fallback once our QB/passing situation for that season has cratered. Which has happened over and over again, and that’s a hit against Rivera’s work at the QB position (as hard as he’s tried, it hasn’t worked obviously). 

But no, I don’t think hiring EB shows a lack of self-awareness bc I think we’ve been shown over and over again that Rivera doesn’t really believe what he said in that end of season presser. But what’s he gonna do, re-litigate Wentz/Heinicke for a half hour? That was deflection 

edit: I’m not a Rivera guy and can’t wait for a new owner to clean house ASAP, likely next offseason. I just think you’re interpreting him incorrectly here. Every year Rivera tries to make a move for a QB so we can throw the ball, and every year we end up watching some limited backup manage the game while we lean on a ground game and try to shorten games and increase variance by doing so. But that’s not his end goal for this roster, it’s done out of necessity once his QB moves fail. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think RR was just talking and didn’t think Bienemy was an option. He did say he doesn’t want to play it safe just recently.

Doesn’t negate your point (and I could be wrong), but wasn’t his “safe” comment about hiring a less proven OC?  Or rather (maybe), not solely focusing on ‘high floor’ candidates.

I find it interesting that Turner was fired Jan 10th, Roman the 19th, but we didn’t bring him in for an interview until recently.  Curious if this was a byproduct of a methodical search or was it due to how things went w/ Shurmur, Lynn, et al (ie them turning down the job, their interviews not going swimmingly, etc)?

I know next to nothing about these candidates, but if we wind up w/ Roman, it sounds like they could do with a passing game coordinator.  Especially if that someone could help build a passing attack that works off of/mirrors the run plays.

@ConnI agree with your last post.  I would guess though that he truly does want to give Howell a chance and believed in a run heavy approach aiding Howell’s learning curve.  That’s not to say he’d put guardrails on an OC to force that issue, or that he won’t change his mind (or already has changed it).

Edited by skinny21

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Doesn’t negate your point (and I could be wrong), but wasn’t his “safe” comment about hiring a less proven OC?  Or rather (maybe), not solely focusing on ‘high floor’ candidates.

I find it interesting that Turner was fired Jan 10th, Roman the 19th, but we didn’t bring him in for an interview until recently.  Curious if this was a byproduct of a methodical search or was it due to how things went w/ Shurmur, Lynn, et al (ie them turning down the job, their interviews not going swimmingly, etc)?

I know next to nothing about these candidates, but if we wind up w/ Roman, it sounds like they could do with a passing game coordinator.  Especially if that someone could help build a passing attack that works off of/mirrors the run plays.

I also think it's quite possible Roman doesn't really want to coach this year and Rivera doing him a solid by interviewing him, thus making sure that Balt still pays his salary this year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@ConnI agree with your last post.  I would guess though that he truly does want to give Howell a chance and believed in a run heavy approach aiding Howell’s learning curve.  That’s not to say he’d put guardrails on an OC to force that issue, or that he won’t change his mind (or already has changed it).

According to Keim they asked to interview Roman earlier but Roman just finally decided to take the interview.

45 minutes ago, Conn said:

Or you’re showing a lack of awareness of what Rivera’s been trying to do since he got here—figure out QB and throw the ball. Notably, he’s failed at this, but it’s been his goal all along. The post-season presser was just he and Mayhew filling airtime talking about the one thing we did pretty well so that they didn’t have to talk about the failure of the Wentz acquisition longer than they had to. It’s obvious Rivera knows the direction the league has gone and only ever resorts to the 1980’s run game as a fallback once our QB/passing situation for that season has cratered. Which has happened over and over again, and that’s a hit against Rivera’s work at the QB position (as hard as he’s tried, it hasn’t worked obviously). 

True.

Michael Phillips referenced on the radio today he followed up with Rivera on the point.  And Rivera told him he's totally open to any system including a pass happy one.  His point was he'd like a team that gets ahead and can run the ball to ice the clock to finish the game ala what they did in the 4th quarter against Dallas.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

His contract is up, correct? My guess is Andy Reid is NOT pushing him out... but rather saying, "look, we love you and you could stay on here as a xx coach, but that won't look good. We need to get other guys in our system to learn and grow and have the ability to climb the ladder. You are blocking that. You have done great things but its time to move on."

Meanwhile we're the only ones with an open full OC spot where he doesn't have a Offensive OC available.

• Like 3

I wonder if they offer EB the OC position with assistant HC title. I’m sure that would get him a bit more clout when it comes to interviewing elsewhere. Also, I like the idea that was floated out there of EB as OC and Roman as run game coordinator even if it’s not likely.

Haven't checked in with you ****s for awhile, but am I the only one here who's not excited about Bienemy?  

The signs are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.  And perhaps I'm just a jaded, bitter Commies fan...well, okay, I am a jaded and bitter Commies fan, but I just can't get behind this move.

He's been on the head coach wish list for a long, long time now.  And in a league that's constantly starved to find the next guy who could be a McVay or a Shanahan or a Sirianni or a Saleh or a Ryans, he's been passed over.  Repeatedly.  People can claim racism and there might be an aspect to that but Bienemy hasn't been snatched up in the past 3-4 years despite always being a scorching hot candidate in some circles.  At some point you have to wonder why.

And he's been doing it in Kansas City with a generational talent in Mahomes and one of the best head coaches ever in Andy Reid.  I'm sure he's learned a lot from Andy Reid but he's NOT Andy Reid.  And he's got the luxury of doing it with Mahomes, who is six years into his career and looking like a GOAT contender.  On top of that, he's been able to work with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, two of the best players at their current positions.  I love TMC, but he's not on that level.  We don't have a TE on Kelce's level.

So I'm not excited about him coming to a place where he's working under an average coach in RR, a big question mark at the quarterback position, some talented skill position players but not the talent he's had the luxury of working with in KC.  

Add the Commanders stank to that where practically nothing works out for this franchise and I predict most people who are in favor of this hire will quickly change their minds a few weeks into the season.  Some will preach patience, I'm sure we're going to have to hear bloviating about how everyone needs a year to get up to speed on Bienemy's "system" which is a steaming load of ****.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I see nothing but warning signs here.  

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Haven't checked in with you ****s for awhile, but am I the only one here who's not excited about Bienemy?  

The signs are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.  And perhaps I'm just a jaded, bitter Commies fan...well, okay, I am a jaded and bitter Commies fan, but I just can't get behind this move.

He's been on the head coach wish list for a long, long time now.  And in a league that's constantly starved to find the next guy who could be a McVay or a Shanahan or a Sirianni or a Saleh or a Ryans, he's been passed over.  Repeatedly.  People can claim racism and there might be an aspect to that but Bienemy hasn't been snatched up in the past 3-4 years despite always being a scorching hot candidate in some circles.  At some point you have to wonder why.

And he's been doing it in Kansas City with a generational talent in Mahomes and one of the best head coaches ever in Andy Reid.  I'm sure he's learned a lot from Andy Reid but he's NOT Andy Reid.  And he's got the luxury of doing it with Mahomes, who is six years into his career and looking like a GOAT contender.  On top of that, he's been able to work with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, two of the best players at their current positions.  I love TMC, but he's not on that level.  We don't have a TE on Kelce's level.

So I'm not excited about him coming to a place where he's working under an average coach in RR, a big question mark at the quarterback position, some talented skill position players but not the talent he's had the luxury of working with in KC.  

Add the Commanders stank to that where practically nothing works out for this franchise and I predict most people who are in favor of this hire will quickly change their minds a few weeks into the season.  Some will preach patience, I'm sure we're going to have to hear bloviating about how everyone needs a year to get up to speed on Bienemy's "system" which is a steaming load of ****.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but I see nothing but warning signs here.  

Okay, so let me follow this up with a very simple question:

So what? (I mean this sincerely)

I'll hang up and listen. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay, so let me follow this up with a very simple question:

So what? (I mean this sincerely)

I'll hang up and listen. 

You beat me to it. Who cares, we’re likely getting a new owner and this is mostly a lost year. If there is even a 2% chance that Bienemy is the real deal and lights it up with Howell and changes our trajectory, we have to take it. The alternatives are not better, we should LOVE a boom/bust candidate in our situation. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well they need an OC. So there’s that. 

But I wouldn’t expect this move to be a difference maker. Unless we get a really good QB. 

Okay so… the OC move is a risk. Check.

Our staff is likely gone after this year, including new OC. Check.

Staff may get to stay on if team makes a significant run. Check. 

So team needs an OC, Bienemy is risk vs. reward. Zampese is status quo. Which would you prefer to take a shot on in a year we have virtually nothing to lose given the scenarios playing out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay so… the OC move is a risk. Check.

Our staff is likely gone after this year, including new OC. Check.

Staff may get to stay on if team makes a significant run. Check. 

So team needs an OC, Bienemy is risk vs. reward. Zampese is status quo. Which would you prefer to take a shot on in a year we have virtually nothing to lose given the scenarios playing out?

Honestly, feels like a win-win situation.

• Like 1

It would be very interesting if we hired Bienemy and he pushed for us to get Carr. RR would have to listen....gotta believe that will be one of the main topics they talk about in the interview. What/who the QB position looks like and what guys Bienemy will have to coach.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

It would be very interesting if we hired Bienemy and he pushed for us to get Carr. RR would have to listen....gotta believe that will be one of the main topics they talk about in the interview. What/who the QB position looks like and what guys Bienemy will have to coach.

Got to be honest, I’m kind of hoping EB would want Carr. I’m still on that boat, I think :ols:

Is Rivera really going into year 4 with that boom or bust attitude ? Tough call IMO.

Just now, Hooper said:

When was the last time the whole league was wrong and we were right?

But hey... gotta be a first time!

Well we’re not making him HC so I’m not sure we’re wrong and they are right....

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

When was the last time the whole league was wrong and we were right?

But hey... gotta be a first time!

We aren’t hiring him as a HC, which is what the rest of the league has refused to do—but as an OC? He’s never been available for a lateral move before. This is no risk for us, if he sucks designing the offense and calling plays without Andy Reid then who cares? We start over next year with a higher draft pick.  

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Got to be honest, I’m kind of hoping EB would want Carr. I’m still on that boat, I think :ols:

Is Rivera really going into year 4 with that boom or bust attitude ? Tough call IMO.

Well we’re not making him HC so I’m not sure we’re wrong and they are right....

No OC offers either. And there were better openings. Just saying, it's odd.

Hope it works! 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2