Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

I just wanna  know who's  practicing when Charles is out

Both Charles and Cosmi are listed as questionable for Sunday. Cosmi has a hip but was at least practicing in a limited fashion - he probably plays. Charles is a did not practice - he's likely going to be out. So good question about who plays in his place. I'd move Wylie inside and start Lucas at RT. I'd also play Stromberg over Gates. I doubt that is what they will do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Both Charles and Cosmi are listed as questionable for Sunday. Cosmi has a hip but was at least practicing in a limited fashion - he probably plays. Charles is a did not practice - he's likely going to be out. So good question about who plays in his place. I'd move Wylie inside and start Lucas at RT. I'd also play Stromberg over Gates. I doubt that is what they will do.

I truly fear for Howell's safety.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

I truly fear for Howell's safety.

I bet they’re about to be forced to accidentally field a better OL because of these injuries. (I’m assuming Cosmi is gonna play but Charles will sit, and they’ll explore changes with Wylie and Gates) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

It's basically gotta be Paul.  I'm for that, something's gotta change. They keep rolling out the same guys to get bulldozed.  At this point, the OL should be Leno, Paul, Larsen, Cosmi, Lucas.  I dont even want Wylie inside.  

Now, I dont wanna give too much credit to one guy, but they were 6-1-1 during the 8 game stretch in the middle of the year when Larsen was the starting center, 2-7 when he didnt play. But I do feel like he solidified the middle of that line when he got in there. Unless something's wrong with him health-wise I'm not aware of, not sure why he's not been in the equation.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It's basically gotta be Paul.  I'm for that, something's gotta change. They keep rolling out the same guys to get bulldozed.  At this point, the OL should be Leno, Paul, Larsen, Cosmi, Lucas.  I dont even want Wylie inside.  

Now, I dont wanna give too much credit to one guy, but they were 6-1-1 during the 8 game stretch in the middle of the year when Larsen was the starting center, 2-7 when he didnt play. But I do feel like he solidified the middle of that line when he got in there. Unless something's wrong with him health-wise I'm not aware of, not sure why he's not been in the equation.

Could be Stromberg, too.

They're not going to give up on the new signings that quickly so Wylie to the bench is unlikely(though I'd love to know what the cap hits would be if they were June 1 cuts)  And throwing to many young guys might be any better for Howell than our regular line

Now Cosmi might be the second best of this dumpster fire, but he's not so good that a hurt him is better than the replacement(though considering who I think should be the replacement other might disagree

I sit Charles an Cosmi, leave them both inactive so my line would be Leno, Gates, Larsen, Wylie and Lucas

If Larson starts at center and Stromboli doesn’t play guard, that’s another huge indictment on the atrocity that was the 2023 draft.

Remember, the cut Larson to get to the 53, then brought him back after Mathis went on IR.

It’s clear they drafted a 3rd string center in the third round.

I get best player available, but come on man, this is some weak sauce.  

getting literally nothing out of the draft class or any FA they signed.  

Just awful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Larson starts at center and Stromboli doesn’t play guard, that’s another huge indictment on the atrocity that was the 2023 draft.

Remember, the cut Larson to get to the 53, then brought him back after Mathis went on IR.

It’s clear they drafted a 3rd string center in the third round.

I get best player available, but come on man, this is some weak sauce.  

getting literally nothing out of the draft class or any FA they signed.  

Just awful.

well, he's a second string guard

Stromberg was one of the last players picked on day two. He's a project, not a projected starter. He should be C2 and not LG1. 

And there is nothing wrong about that. He was a great pick with that in mind. Late first, through the second round is where all the starting OL were drafted. There were about 25 picks that were not OL, before we grabbed Strom.

Larson is a vet, knows the protections and can take a lot out of Sams hands to help this offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we looked a heck of a lot better from just this move alone.

Leno, Gates, Larson, Cosmi, Lucas is the starting 5 we should be going with. 

With Wharton we have a first year OL coach, with a great pedigree coming up under Matsko, but a first year guy having 4 new starters on the line, an OC he doesn't know and a bad RT, while not being able to be with the team for a while was just absolutely poor management on Ron and EB. 

Wharton also has seen Charles the entire time that he's been here and never put him into a starting line up for a reason.

I think Wharton will be an excellent OL coach eventually, but he walked into a bad situation this year and it's hard to hang it on him. I think the OL will start performing much better as the season continues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Why does everyone want to kick Wylie inside? I’d like to kick him to the sideline. 

Because the assumption is this coaching staff will not admit their mistake on signing him and will find a way to play him somewhere. I don't think many of us believe he's part of our best 5 - but what we think plus $5 will get you a caramel latte at the Starbucks of your choice.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stromberg was one of the last players picked on day two. He's a project, not a projected starter. He should be C2 and not LG1. 

And there is nothing wrong about that. He was a great pick with that in mind. Late first, through the second round is where all the starting OL were drafted. There were about 25 picks that were not OL, before we grabbed Strom.

Larson is a vet, knows the protections and can take a lot out of Sams hands to help this offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we looked a heck of a lot better from just this move alone.

Leno, Gates, Larson, Cosmi, Lucas is the starting 5 we should be going with. 

With Wharton we have a first year OL coach, with a great pedigree coming up under Matsko, but a first year guy having 4 new starters on the line, an OC he doesn't know and a bad RT, while not being able to be with the team for a while was just absolutely poor management on Ron and EB. 

Wharton also has seen Charles the entire time that he's been here and never put him into a starting line up for a reason.

I think Wharton will be an excellent OL coach eventually, but he walked into a bad situation this year and it's hard to hang it on him. I think the OL will start performing much better as the season continues.

Agree with most of this - I would play Stromberg over Gates personally. Stromberg could be part of our future - Gates not so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Because the assumption is this coaching staff will not admit their mistake on signing him and will find a way to play him somewhere. I don't think many of us believe he's part of our best 5 - but what we think plus $5 will get you a caramel latte at the Starbucks of your choice.

Agree with most of this - I would play Stromberg over Gates personally. Stromberg could be part of our future - Gates not so much.

Ya, but what we think isn’t going to matter regardless. So aim high.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Maybe. He's our Center of the future hopefully and Gates is not bad at Guard. If we're trying to win games now, I'd have Strom at C2 for now. Larson does have injury history. Be great for Strom to work on the mental part of this. Center is important.

I'm not opposed to Strom starting at Guard though.

• Like 1

The Commanders' offensive line is arguably the worst in the NFL at protecting the quarterback, allowing the most sacks in the league (40) and ranking 24th in pressure rate allowed per dropback (38.7%). Their 121 pressures allowed are the second-most in the NFL, behind only the Giants (135).4 hours ago

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, MrJL said:

well, the Saahdiq Charles experiment at LG should be over.  You don't put a guy on IR with a calf strain if you value his play more than his roster spot

I think you end up right either way but disagree with the logic, you absolutely IR a guy for a multi-week calf strain, that roster spot is huge even if he was a good player (unless it’s late in the year and the playoffs are at stake). But I’m sure it was easier to make that choice with Charles because they also wanted to try out some changes on the OL 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Daniels is about as injured as you and i are. Wouldn't have made the roster; IR has saved his spot, and attempted to save face for those who chose him. Just another terrible pick

you know, I'd believe it if they claimed something really minor, but a torn rotator cuff?

What a difference it makes when the team changes out both the left guard and the center.  Larsen and Paul make a more potent duo.  I'm not going to fault Paul too much for the two false starts.  Rookies make mistakes on their first start. Why wasn't this change made earlier??  

• Like 3