Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Nah, Paul being inactive is due to the past two years of Center trauma. The way they set things up yesterday they had five guys who could play tackle, five who could play guard including Gates and three who could play center. Activate Paul over Stromberg or Larsen and it’s six, five and two

Position Flex on three! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Nah, Paul being inactive is due to the past two years of Center trauma. The way they set things up yesterday they had five guys who could play tackle, five who could play guard including Gates and three who could play center. Activate Paul over Stromberg or Larsen and it’s six, five and two

I honestly question who can play T at this point. If Wylie and Charles play truly looks that bad when they review the tapes, neither belongs on the field at their currently listed positions. That relegates Wylie to G and Charles to the glue factory. Move Paul to active. Hell, they may need Scott as well, it should be an all hands on deck to protect Howell next week. 

After what just happened to Rodgers this line from NFL.com could have been about us (and Howell). And worryingly could still be.

"Worries did arise during training camp and the preseason over the state of the offensive line's ability to protect the 39-year-old, though.

Regardless of the victory, those concerns have already reared their ugly head, dooming the Jets' best-laid plans for a season with Rodgers leading them to new heights."

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Jets losing Rodgers and having to go with a 1rst rounder with little experience, is exactly like us when Fitzpatrick went down and we went with........oh nevermind. 

Or the Jets could have looked at us for wisdom and said let's spend money on the OL first and then drop in a real QB from the draft. We gave them two chance to see that but they still did exactly like us expecting different result. Insanity. ;) 

Ron apparently missed my post where I said to spend money on OL and then draft a QB. That was back in 2021. If only...

• Haha 2

Are we being too hard on the o-line and the entire offense? Here's my semi-worthless take:

It's a brand new scheme, folks. These things take time. We all know that in preseason teams go "vanilla," so it's not like we were running the exact plays that EB has installed. The season opener was literally the first live trial with a new coach, a virtual rookie QB, and some new offensive line pieces. It's a complete reboot on that side of the ball. 

Week one is always a wacky week in the NFL. Good teams can look bad and bad teams can look good. Does anyone think the Steelers or Giants will spend the whole season looking like they did on Sunday? I sure don't. The Buffalo Bills and Cincinnatti Bengals looked pretty anemic this week.

The Daniel Snyder era has turned us all into kneejerk panic people and that might be justified but what we saw at FedEx on Sunday is something I expected. To assume that we'd run up the score on Arizona just because of the perception of who they are and the inflated perception of what our offense should be ALREADY was just naive. 

The offensive line will get better. They won't be "great" but they do need time to gel, as does the whole offense while adjusting to a very different plan than Scott Turner had.  It's week one, Commanders fans. We could very well lose to Denver in week 2 but we can't panic. Makes perfect sense that the offense didn't come out with a perfect grasp on everything, including and especially the o-line.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

You could see it in preseason and on Sunday. We can't run the ball.

Did we switch run schemes? It seems last year we ran a mix of power / zone but it seems more power now.

My complaint is that we didn't run it enough. I also don't think we have a "break one off" type RB on the roster. Robinson is tough and Gibson is crafty, but neither one of them are going to juke or escape defenders and take it to the house... or even for 30 yards. That's not going to happen. When we run the ball, we're trying to control clock and wear down defenses. You have to run the ball 35+ times to do that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Chachie said:

My complaint is that we didn't run it enough. I also don't think we have a "break one off" type RB on the roster. Robinson is tough and Gibson is crafty, but neither one of them are going to juke or escape defenders and take it to the house... or even for 30 yards. That's not going to happen. When we run the ball, we're trying to control clock and wear down defenses. You have to run the ball 35+ times to do that. 

Maybe our OL is better at pass pro vs run?  Curious what you think the starting 5 OLs collective strength is... .besides position flexibility. this aint gymnastics.... I read Howell held the ball too long on some of the sacks but maybe Howell's mobility covers for pass pro OL deficiencies better than OL run deficiencies. So... pass first vs old school predictable run into a brick wall on 1st every drive.

OCs can pass first and still get the same # of carries for his backs. Games changing and while it was the Riggo drill at Fedex on Sunday, it really wasn't. it was the EB Howell show.

I think we didnt run it enough early but EB was clearly itching to throw to Logan and who can blame him! He was like a kid on christmas with TMC Jahan Samuel Logan Gibby Dyami and Howell as toys he was gifted. EB coming from Kelce City i knew Logan would be targeted. But those Logan drops / bogus pick penalty killed his game plan I am sure.  EB won his first game so he did some good things despite 2 turnovers from Howell.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

My general reaction:

Family Guy Puke GIF - Family Guy Puke Brian Griffin - Discover & Share GIFs

Seriously though, why did the team make no effort whatsoever to address the offensive line during at the first two rounds of the draft?  Did they really need two more defensive backs?  And is Sidiqqui (sp) Charles still a football player?

Edited by kfrankie

I gather on the same note their metrics didn't have Cosmi have a good game since he didn't make their top 20. 

According to their metrics the pass blocking overall was good, the run blocking was bad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38356170/2023-nfl-pass-rush-run-stop-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

IOL Pass Block Win Rate Rankings

RANK NAME TEAM WINS PLAYS PBWR DOUBLE
TEAM %
1 Ryan Kelly IND 28 28 100% 81%
1 Corey Linsley LAC 27 27 100% 82%
1 Joel Bitonio CLE 25 25 100% 67%
1 Ben Powers DEN 20 20 100% 74%
1 Matt Feiler TB 19 19 100% 55%
1 Ethan Pocic CLE 25 25 100% 85%
1 Josh Jones HOU 23 23 100% 77%
1 Austin Schlottmann MIN 24 24 100% 82%
1 Andre James LV 17 17 100% 78%
1 Lloyd Cushenberry DEN 20 20 100% 84%
1 Will Hernandez ARI 18 18 100% 72%
1 Joe Thuney KC 35 35 100% 57%
1 Frank Ragnow DET 19 19 100% 77%
1 Will Fries IND 28 28 100% 55%
1 Creed Humphrey KC 35 35 100% 90%
1 Quinn Meinerz DEN 20 20 100% 58%
1 Tyler Linderbaum BAL 21 21 100% 71%
1 Spencer Burford SF 20 20 100% 61%
1 Cody Mauch TB 18 18 100% 64%
20 Trey Smith KC 33 34 97% 61%

OT Run Block Win Rate Rankings

RANK NAME TEAM WINS PLAYS RBWR DOUBLE
TEAM %
1 Jake Matthews ATL 24 25 96% 20%
2 Charles Leno Jr. WAS 22 24 92% 33%
3 Trey Pipkins III. LAC 30 33 91% 30%
3 Rashawn Slater LAC 30 33 91% 21%
5 Garett Bolles DEN 19 21 90% 38%
6 Darnell Wright CHI 17 19 89% 47%
7 Laremy Tunsil HOU 16 18 89% 11%
8 Ronnie Stanley BAL 14 16 88% 13%
9 Andre Dillard TEN 16 19 84% 58%
10 Walker Little JAX 23 28 82% 25%

IOL Run Block Win Rate Rankings

RANK NAME TEAM WINS PLAYS RBWR DOUBLE
TEAM %
1 Josh Jones HOU 17 18 94% 33%
2 Creed Humphrey KC 13 14 93% 36%
3 Jamaree Salyer LAC 30 33 91% 36%
4 Corey Linsley LAC 29 33 88% 61%
5 James Hurst NO 19 22 86% 32%
5 Landon Dickerson PHI 19 22 86% 18%
7 Austin Schlottmann MIN 12 14 86% 64%
7 Joe Thuney KC 12 14 86% 57%
9 Aaron Brewer TEN 16 19 84% 95%
10 Laken Tomlinson NYJ 21 25 84% 56%

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

They sure make Leno look good. We all know he is pretty decent and needs to stay healthy...like all of the OL.

I thought Cosmi had  a good game list or not! 

I see Mauch made the list...

Will Hernadez, huh.

I am a little surprised with Walker Little making the list, always thought he was a stiff. Well, it's one game so lets see if he stays up there. 

Edited by DWinzit

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I am a little surprised with Walker Little making the list, always thought he was a stiff. Well, it's one game so lets see if he stays up there. 

I think he sucks too.  The Jags are stuck betting on him because Cam Robinson got suspended, but make no mistake, they tried to replace Little with Anton Harrison.  I'm curious to see what happens with Little's PT once Robinson gets back next month.  They might be able to move him to LG, but that Jags line is surprisingly airtight.  They've got four of the five starting spots locked up with good players.

• Like 1

Collins is 30, and is still 4-6 weeks from being healthy.  He tore an ACL and had reconstructive surgery in January.  He was once a very solid RT, and is young enough where you think he could bounce back from injury.  With the way Wylie has looked, I hope they kick the tires.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PFF thinks we had the 8th best pass blocking in the league.

SIS thinks we had the 16th best (league average)

ESPN's metric also liked us as Top 10.

Looks like our pass blocking was better than we thought? Some issues with Howell trying to do hero ball and either holding too long or trying to buy too much time.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1