Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (New) Offensive Line Thread

method man

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

We have selected 4 offensive lineman in the first round since 1981. Eagles 8, Cowboys 3, Giants 7.  I guess I'm wrong and oline can be filled easily through the lower rounds. We just haven't been good at it at all.

3 and a bag of uselessness named Andre Johnson.  We have had fantastic success in later rounds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But now next off season shoud be fun, assuming if Howell is progressing -- it will be all hands on deck for O line.  Maybe an edge to replace Sweat or Chase.

And linebacker probably. We’ll have a new defensive coordinator. They may want to run a completely different D

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You and I are generally the two polyannas around here and I just feel so deflated, especially after the Giants and Eagles just crushed their offseason. Eagles came off a superbowl, lost some big FAs and somehow improved. I don't see us winning 1 game in the east next year.

I'm usually hopeful and optimistic, but this team can prove me wrong. It's a bad team and if Harris takes his usual approach to franchise building it's about to get a whole lot worse for a while.

The not addressing TE in a historic TE draft is just mind blowing to me. That's an absolute failure.

So is not taking one of the very many LBers  to start day 3.

We really could have rebuilt our Oline days one and two, then filled in a defense that was already one of the leagues best, while grabbing a TE, QB, LBer

I mostly agree.  But I don't think Harris has to start over or will feel the need to.  I think the next step will look obvious.

This team has never really had an All Star FO or coaching staff under Dan.  With the exception of Gibbs 2 -- where ironically Gibbs was no longer an All Star but had some underlings who were very good.  Shanny had all stars on the offensive staff but not the defensive staff and the FO was "meh"

Schoen and Daboll went to town on hiring the best of the best in their FO and coaching staff.  And it made a big difference in short order.

I think the next FO-coaching staff will inherit a better team than Schoen-Daboll did with the Giants.  If Howell is the goods, they'd work to fix the rest of the roster fast.

Harris likewise is into hiring the best of the best and that will be new for this team.

Harris is inheriting a unique situaton with a declining fan base.  I doubt he goes slow rebuild.  For starters, the dude he hires for the FO, I doubt they will believe to rebuild this from scratch.  But the kicker is i think fans will forgive a down season now because it's what Harris inherited. 

But I think they'd want some quick results in his first off season.  And its Harris style to make a splashy move or two.  Not stupid splashy but smart flashy.

I think if I were in Harris shoes what would frustrate me the most about Rivera's off season compared to the Giants is the Giants both made moves that arguably will do more to improve their roster AND they were much splashier, too.  It's like they come off both smarter and more fun.    Ron's off season was fine, not aggressive enough IMO and certainly there was zero fun to it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

no, I think that's foolish.  I mean it's not like we spend a ton of time swapping them around once they win the jobs

So, you're saying it doesn't matter? Then we agree, go and get guys that are GOOD a position. Not because they "can play" 2 or 3.

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

And honestly I think quality players are adaptable players.  Position flex means you can get the best five on the field,

Not really. Jack of all trades, master of none.

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

So, you're saying it doesn't matter? Then we agree, go and get guys that are GOOD a position. Not because they "can play" 2 or 3.

Not really. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Jacoby played every position but center. Grimm played guard and center. May played at least three don't know if he played LG. Mckenzie  played all but RT. Simmons played all but center.

The majority of our best guys played multiple positions

7 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Weight they say for a OT.  He has weight and height and athleticism for a pulling guard perhaps.  Just figured he looks much more athletic in his film vs others going that late in the draft.  Why not try it as the Saddiq Charles experiment has gone nowhere for years and he was taken in the 3rd wasn't he?

That's good to hear. It's reasonable to assume he can put on more weight so if all of the other traits are there and he's long enough, he might be an OT after all.

2 hours ago, redskinsfanatic63 said:

my feeling is if the offense does well this year beenemy is headcoach next year 

Please stop posting in bold text. And please learn the proper spelling for people on the team that you're fanatical about🙂. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The good news for me is what Ron did IMO, is set up the roster somewhat methodically for 2024.  i do like the defense.  There is just about nothing to fix on that unit and its deep.

Contract years for Young and Sweat. Not inconceivable we will need two new DEs next season - and very likely we will need at least one.

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Contract years for Young and Sweat. Not inconceivable we will need two new DEs next season - and very likely we will need at least one.

Depending on how the season goes, we’ll likely reup or at the very least franchise tag one of them by mid season. Which will lead us to a debate about what to do the following draft/FA period.

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Agree, I mentioned on another post, probably one edge, that's about it.  I'd be surprised if both are gone.  According to Keim, they want to keep Sweat.  So it feels like the wildcard is whether its both Sweat and Young or Young just kills it and they feel like they can only keep one edge and Young supplants him.

But I don't get the vibe at least right now that they'd lose both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

unless they're both terrible why wouldn't we just tag one?

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

unless they're both terrible why wouldn't we just tag one?

Because the franchise tag would be very expensive from a cap perspective and we already have a lot of cap space invested in the d line with Allen and Payne. Hard to see how we can have four large contracts tied up across that D’line without it impacting our ability to sign players in other positions - like for example (to bring this back on topic!) the O’line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

I like the DEs we already have. Not world beaters, but pretty good with room to grow. If Sweat is affordable, he's a keeper. 

Chase balls out, then maybe a midseason trade for draft capital happens. Be nice to have multiple firsts next year with Maye coming out. Or, if Howell does well, more fat boys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redskinsfanatic63 said:

my feeling is if the offense does well this year beenemy is headcoach next year 

I agree w this. The O line is woefully undermanned especially against some of our division rivals. Our only hope is we can scheme our way to overcome that.  That said, a basically rookie QB with an entire offense learning a new offensive system makes that highly unlikely.

• Like 1

EB might be a head coach next year but probably not with us.

All he has to do is show enough improvement and that improvement can be tied to his coaching; regardless of the team’s final record.  That should get him looks elsewhere and a head coaching gig; especially if openings are on the high side in 24.

I don’t think he gets the gig here, unless he becomes interim coach after Ron is fired. He proceeds to have a decent turnaround after Ron’s firing that the owners decide to go with him permanently.

Just listened to Keim's latest podcast. He and Bram both said that the team views Daniels as a 'project' who needs developing. That's gonna take time. They would want him playing LT because of his athleticism, but there's a lot to correct/coach up. The OL player coaches really wanted was Avila to help solidify the inside, and they were gonna trade up in the 2nd to do it, but couldn't get any teams to trade on terms they were willing to meet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Just listened to Keim's latest podcast. He and Bram both said that the team views Daniels as a 'project' who needs developing. That's gonna take time. They would want him playing LT because of his athleticism, but there's a lot to correct/coach up. The OL player coaches really wanted was Avila to help solidify the inside, and they were gonna trade up in the 2nd to do it, but couldn't get any teams to trade on terms they were willing to meet.

This isn't a shocker. His name had been brought up by Keim and others as the team having interest. They probably saw him as the starting LG with with the ability to kick to C or RG if needed.  They must have been even more enamored with him them realized. I would have been thinking it would be Bergeron due to their worry at T and he might have also been able to play LG. There were a number of fairly equal rated OL like Mauch, JMS, Torrence, or Tippman. 

Edited by DWinzit

15 hours ago, MrJL said:

Jacoby played every position but center. Grimm played guard and center. May played at least three don't know if he played LG. Mckenzie  played all but RT. Simmons played all but center.

The majority of our best guys played multiple positions

When they were at their best, when the Hogs got their name, Joe Jacoby was a fixture at LT and Russ Grimm a Hall of Famer at LG.  Jake only moved inside at the end of his career and that was dictated by Father Time. You post as if Grimm was moved up and down the line and that was not the case. Coach Gibbs moved him to center, I believe for one or two seasons, to block the big NT Burt from NY as he felt Bostic was undersized.  I don't remember Mark May switching positions all that often either, if he did it was probably due to injuries,  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This isn't a shocker. His name had been brought up by Keim and others as the team having interest. They probably saw him as the starting LG with with the ability to kick to C or RG if needed.  They must have been even more enamored with him them realized. I would have been thinking it would be Bergeron due to their worry at T and he might have also been able to play LG. There were a number of fairly equal rated OL like Mauch, JMS, Torrence, or Tippman. 

I'm so glad we didn't trade up for Avila.  That guy is slow.  He's just a big phone booth power player and his only trait that stood out to me was his strength.  Great anchor in pass pro, but he's got no first step, no explosiveness, and no range.

If you're taking an IOL early, I feel like you need to get someone who can run.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

EB might be a head coach next year but probably not with us.

Seems like a very pessimistic POV - not sure how you can come to this conclusion at this stage in the game.  If Dan is/were still here, then you may have a point, but we have no idea what the Harris group would want to do.