Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheating scandal rocks professional fishing world

Cooked Crack

13 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I never understood fesh water fishing.  The majority of this fish aren't worth eating and a decent size catch is the size of the bait I would use in the gulf.

You catch much better fish in the ocean… but it’s simpler with less technique.  I’ve never had to skip a bait under docks, work a grass line, or slowly work a lure through a wood pile to lure a big fish in the ocean.  I just boat out to a spot and wait.  Maybe do some trolling.  Surf fishing requires a little bit of reading the land scape but it’s not comparable to working out where the big bass might be in a river.  i guess the challenge makes it fun.

That being said, the ocean smells better, the fish taste better, and hanging out on or near a beach all day is fun.  Ocean fishing is great.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I never understood fesh water fishing.  The majority of this fish aren't worth eating and a decent size catch is the size of the bait I would use in the gulf.

Because freshwater fishing has always been best when the fish are incidental to the process

• Like 2

Back when I was a kid in Williamsport PA in the 50s, we fished inland all the time. My grandfather was a taxidermist and head of the local sportsman club. We fished in streams, rivers, and my great uncle had a pond with bluegills in it. Those fish put up a fight! This was when waters weren't polluted. 

My best friend fishes in Delaware, throws them back because of pollution.

When you live 1000 miles from the ocean, and love to fish, it's all ya got.  It's also significantly cheaper.  Any time I do get to fish salt water I jump on the chance but catching bass and trout are plenty of fun on appropriately light gear.  I put walleye up against most salt water fish for eating. But they are more the exception and less the rule.

Seems a pretty ham handed way of trying to cheat.  I remember back in the day when Bass Masters was more popular and involved quite a bit of money.  One ol boy had his buddy down there in scuba gear putting big fish on his hook. Still got caught but I have to believe they probably got away with it a time or two.

Edited by The 12th Commandment

My husband could get strapped in the fighting chair and carry on with a fish for hours.  (I never witnessed any of this, just heard the stories.)  The only time I ever fished was with my step-brother and I snagged the back of his hoodie with the hook.  Never again. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why would you cheat at catching fish

22 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Cause money is involved?

Thousands upon thousands of dollars, apparently.  And the guy won a boat in a tournament.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, Destino said:

You catch much better fish in the ocean… but it’s simpler with less technique.  I’ve never had to skip a bait under docks, work a grass line, or slowly work a lure through a wood pile to lure a big fish in the ocean.  I just boat out to a spot and wait.  Maybe do some trolling.  Surf fishing requires a little bit of reading the land scape but it’s not comparable to working out where the big bass might be in a river.  i guess the challenge makes it fun.

That being said, the ocean smells better, the fish taste better, and hanging out on or near a beach all day is fun.  Ocean fishing is great.  

I agree with this.  I've done both and with salt water fishing you're basically sitting in a boat driving around waiting for "fish on"  With bass fishing as you said it's all about putting the lure in the right spot with the right action.  I'd much rather catch a 4 pound bass on a top water bait at sunset.  It's more satisfying because I feel I earned it more than salt water where I basically drank beer amd waited for the rod to bend.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

My husband could get strapped in the fighting chair and carry on with a fish for hours.  (I never witnessed any of this, just heard the stories.)  The only time I ever fished was with my step-brother and I snagged the back of his hoodie with the hook.  Never again. 

You never fished off the ship while underway?  That's one of my favorite memories.

19 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree with this.  I've done both and with salt water fishing you're basically sitting in a boat driving around waiting for "fish on"  With bass fishing as you said it's all about putting the lure in the right spot with the right action.  I'd much rather catch a 4 pound bass on a top water bait at sunset.  It's more satisfying because I feel I earned it more than salt water where I basically drank beer amd waited for the rod to bend.

Fishing is about 90% eating tasty meat for me.  And just sitting back, BSing while I wait for the line to tighten.