Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheating scandal rocks professional fishing world

Cooked Crack

Back to the story this really is a big deal with so much money on the line.  I mean the guy won thousands of dollars and a boat by cheating the others.  I do know in the big money tournaments they X-ray the fish because this weighting is not new, I guess they don't do it for the smaller tournaments

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Back to the story this really is a big deal with so much money on the line.  I mean the guy won thousands of dollars and a boat by cheating the others.  I do know in the big money tournaments they X-ray the fish because this weighting is not new, I guess they don't do it for the smaller tournaments

You’d think they could feel weights as big as this guy was using.  If you picked the fish up it would be hard to miss that it was awful heavy in the middle.  Then again he did get caught so maybe they caught it exactly like that.

I’ve never paid much attention to tournaments. Now I’m wondering how many anglers show up with their “catches” already secured.  Just stash them out on the lake somewhere if they search boats,

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

You’d think they could feel weights as big as this guy was using.  If you picked the fish up it would be hard to miss that it was awful heavy in the middle.  Then again he did get caught so maybe they caught it exactly like that.

I’ve never paid much attention to tournaments. Now I’m wondering how many anglers show up with their “catches” already secured.  Just stash them out on the lake somewhere if they search boats,

It's literally fish...

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why would you cheat at catching fish

I remember going fishing with my friend and his dad. His dad cast his line out without putting any bait on it. 

I said “You not gonna bait

your hook?”

He replied “No. I don’t want the fish bothering me.”

That’s when I learned what fishing was all about. 😆

• Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

The answer to this is probably going to depress me, but how much money can there possibly be in fishing competitions?  I saw the "thousands of dollars" thing above but before that, I would have guessed they were cheating to win a $50 gift card to Denny's.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I'm the opposite.  It isn't worth it to me if I don't intend on eating it.  

I feel that way with crabs.  But with a bass I'd rather throw him in the lake and maybe catch him again.  Fish doesn't taste as good as crabs to me.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

The answer to this is probably going to depress me, but how much money can there possibly be in fishing competitions?  I saw the "thousands of dollars" thing above but before that, I would have guessed they were cheating to win a $50 gift card to Denny's.

First prize in this tournament was $45k. 

Guy caught cheating has earned 3 million in his career (20 years). This has completely enthralled me, some of these tournaments have prizes in excess of 100k for the winner. In some the winners can get a new boat worth north of a $150k. 

The earnings are secondary to sponsorship and the like. Also, from what I’ve read the police thing is not uncommon. Cheating is serious because the prize value is so high and can be considered a felony. 

• Like 1

From what I’ve read about this, his fish were 8lbs heavier in total then the second place fish. 

I’m not a fisherman by any stretch of the imagination, people who are hardcore fishers can guess the weight of a fish pretty accurately based on size and type. When they weighed these fish people were calling BS and the weigh go took it aside and gutted them. 

I think it was such an outlier that caused them to do it. Also, I think because it’s a regional tournament has something to do with it, people know each other and have a level of trust. 

Edited by GoCommiesGo

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

I don't know about this particular tournament, but a guy I grew up was in the tourney below out of OCMD (and other bill fish tourney's). His boat has won several million in these tourney's. Boat is out of Manteo, NC. 

image.thumb.png.c74bae99c2798583d662cc4f3a88fa3d.png

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

This man gets it.

6 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

In these types of tournaments, the fish are returned to the water alive after being weighed.

Given the prize money and prizes involved there has to be a a way to check the fish. Maybe just random checks. Check the biggest fish caught at each tournament? I don’t know really care tbh. But clearly trusting others because it’s a small community that takes this seriously didn’t work out so well for these guys.

Mr. Fischer, who is a police sergeant in a Cleveland suburb, said he had spoken to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources about what happened. “Everything was turned over to law enforcement,” he said. 

Wildlife officers with the department responded to the tournament, “collected evidence and are preparing a report” for the Cuyahoga County prosecutor’s office, Stephanie O’Grady, a department spokeswoman, said on Sunday.

“As this is an open investigation, we have no further comment at this time,” she said. 

Mr. Fischer said he was unclear what recourse he had for recovering money from previous tournaments won by Mr. Runyan and Mr. Cominsky. 

He said that the men had taken voice-stress and polygraph tests for his tournaments, a common practice for winners of such events, and had passed. Mr. Fischer said an observer had also been on their boat during a previous competition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/02/us/fishing-tournament-cheating-scandal-lake-erie.html

Did not know polygraph tests were a normal part of fishing tournaments. Tells you how useful they are though.

8 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

In these types of tournaments, the fish are returned to the water alive after being weighed.

Yeah that's standard procedure which is why I was surprised to see all these dead fish.  Most don't survive the stress, which is why for some big money tournaments they have officials on board to weigh, record, then release the fish.

Guys the prize money he won was 40 grand.  As posted he has won millions as well as a boat (according to the video). That money was stolen from the other competitors, he should face charges as he stole a lot of money. 

As for the weights those were 1 ounce weights.  You can't tell by looking at a fish it is weighs 4 pounds 7 ounces from 4 pounds 8 ounces.  But in 5-7 fish it could be the difference between 1st place and 3rd and that means thousands of dollars.   

• Like 1