Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders @ Philly (from FedEx Field)

KDawg

This team has not shown an ability to mold a Day 3 pick into a consistent starter yet. From Rivera’s first draft, Charles is a disappointment as he came with high expectations to turn into at least a starting level guard down the line. Ismael is no longer on the team. Hopefully, Paul can break this curse, learn some technique and grow into a starter at center or guard. He certainly has the brains

• Like 3

Not much to contribute but agree with the oft repeated mantra that the best disinfectant for this franchise would be to rid itself of Snyder once and for all. I loathe Bezos as well but suppose if such a scenario transpired, I could live with it. 

Maybe Brian Robinson will be that spark and turn the season around even with our ailing OL I think BRob could have an important impact both psychologically and on the field itself.

Doug Peterson coaching the Jaguars is doing fairly well.  Ron is a defensive coach so now he really cannot help improve Turner on the offensive side.

If we had hired Peterson he would have drafted a young quarterback and we would be rebuilding like the Jaguars.  Jaguars beat the Chargers yesterday.

But we really need one of those young coaches like the 3 or 4 young ex-Commanders who left the past few years and have become head coaches around

the league.   Our coaches cannot make in game adjustments very well at all.  Even if they could make some decent half time adjustments it would be nice.

It's obviously not all on Wentz but Wentz is a big problem. He is an average qb at best. He has days where he just looks like he has no idea how to play QB. I think he is one of the most frustrating players to watch in the entire league. He has no feel for the pressure, he doesn't know when to give up on a play, he constantly throws high or behind and somehow he refuses to throw to our outside receivers for entire halfs. He targeted Terry and Dotson a combined 2 times in the first half if I remember correctly and it feels like that's for the third week in a row.

I just find it utterly ridiculous that our front office decided to trade a 3rd and a 2nd plus swapped 2nds for this player and agreed to pay $28m on a one year contract. The Eagles might have the best GM in the game and he decided to get rid of him for an unproven 2nd round QB. Then the Colts decided to get rid of him after investing a first round pick for him after just one year. Our front office is for sure one of the worst competence-wise but I think they are also simultaneously one of the most arrogant ones in the league. They honestly believed that they got the upper hand in this trade. They think they are so good that they bring back player after player and coach after coach of a regime that didn't have any success outside of one year with an MVP QB. Apparently they attribute past failures to everything but themselves.

The frustrating thing is that Wentz has theoretically everything to succeed at QB. He is tall, quite mobile and has a great arm. This can lead to really exciting games, because on a good day, he is a good QB. But at this point we know who he is and it won't change. You know what you get. Everyone here knew it. We played against Wentz many times. I can't believe that he still tricks front offices into believing they could get more out of him.

As one can probably tell, I didn't like this trade at all. Not because I think he is the worst QB in the league by any means. But because the upside of this trade was always going .500 or a bit better. And you are trading assets away that are needed for the upcoming offseasons. I wasn't really excited for the last years but I never really got into a groove this year. I wasn't expecting it to be this bad but I also didn't expect an exciting season.

At the end of the day this is year three of Rivera and this is what he came up with. We put our hopes into Carson Wentz of all people. And he for sure ain't even our biggest problem. We get punched in the mouth game after game and the players just fold. Did anyone watch the Bills OC go berserk after they failed to spike the ball in time? It feels like we get punked every week and everyone has just accepted it. It doesn't feel like any of our coaches inspires confidence. Does this look like a coach who has a good plan:

This started with a rant about Wentz and got to a rant about the people in charge. I honestly don't know where to go from here. Ron was given the keys to this organization. He has all the power and yet (or because of that) we are no better than when he took over. He talked about changing the culture and all we have are buddies of him and has-beens from his time in Carolina. Don't know how that will create a winning culture when you bring in people who haven't won for the most part.

I like Ron as a person, I really do. I think he is one of the nicest guys to be part of this organization over the last couple of season and I think he can have a role on this organization. So don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for getting him out by all means. But from an operational standpoint I think he just doesn't have it. And that is true for the entire front office. We need some young energy. Someone to be bold and who understands the modern day NFL. Someone who is innovative and who isn't afraind to take a swing. Not someone who recycles players that others have no use for anymore because they think they can change them. But: I am also a realist. It won't happen. It can really only happen if Snyder is forced to sell. Because no one who is talented enough to achieve that will come here and if they are already here, we don't have the culture and infrastructure to make them succeed. So as long as Snyder stays, this is who we are. And I don't believe for one second that we are going to witness the day where he is selling this franchise.

This realization that nothing is ever going to change is the worst part about being a fan of this team. It takes a toll on your mental health. I can absolutely understand why people don't go to the stadium anymore, I also wouldn't pay money to let them ruin my mood over and over again while you watch other fans taking over the stadium, waving good bye to you on your way home while they got to celebrate an actual football team play.

There just is no hope with Snyder. It is what it is.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

So the big plays were different this week. The last couple of games they were mostly scheme breakdowns. Yesterday it was their WRs just making great plays against our CBs. That actually has me encouraged because most teams won't have WR talent like Philly, and I actually think Fuller and St. Juice's coverage weren't bad on a lot of the throws, there were just great throws and catches. I've always said if the other guys just beat our guys, well it sucks but I can live with it. What I couldn't stand watching was the constant blown coverages or guys throwing their hands up in confusion. Funny how when braindead WJ3 isn't in the lineup suddenly there isn't as much confusion. 

I think the next few weeks we'll see the big plays plummet big time as we face some pretty subpar offenses and the D will get better as Young returns, Curl gets his legs under him, etc. It also looks like we're figuring out how to use Davis better. He had another sack yesterday. 

Maybe I like to zag when everyone else zigs but I'm not as pessimistic as others about this season. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

So the big plays were different this week. The last couple of games they were mostly scheme breakdowns. Yesterday it was their WRs just making great plays against our CBs. That actually has me encouraged because most teams won't have WR talent like Philly, and I actually think Fuller and St. Juice's coverage weren't bad on a lot of the throws, there were just great throws and catches. I've always said if the other guys just beat our guys, well it sucks but I can live with it. What I couldn't stand watching was the constant blown coverages or guys throwing their hands up in confusion. Funny how when braindead WJ3 isn't in the lineup suddenly there isn't as much confusion. 

I think the next few weeks we'll see the big plays plummet big time as we face some pretty subpar offenses and the D will get better as Young returns, Curl gets his legs under him, etc. It also looks like we're figuring out how to use Davis better. He had another sack yesterday. 

Maybe I like to zag when everyone else zigs but I'm not as pessimistic as others about this season. 

Davis had two sacks yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Consider this:

The WFT brought in a depleted roster to Philly last year and Garrett Gilbert...GARRETT GILBERT...had a better first half than Wentz did

Yesterday was so bad that even Mark Sanchez and John Beck had better games. It goes down as one of the worst QB first halfs in recent Commanders history. The Commanders have had some ****ty QB's since 2000 and yesterday's performance by Wentz is up there.

I saw it with my own eyes. They didn't cross the 50 until 3 minutes left in the 3rd. That's inept offense.

Yep, the HUGE problem with this team is the also terrible defense.

It can't stop a toddler in kindergarden.

2 hours ago, method man said:

This team has not shown an ability to mold a Day 3 pick into a consistent starter yet. From Rivera’s first draft, Charles is a disappointment as he came with high expectations to turn into at least a starting level guard down the line. Ismael is no longer on the team. Hopefully, Paul can break this curse, learn some technique and grow into a starter at center or guard. He certainly has the brains

Kam Curl?

I can accept losing close games because oftentimes the answers are right there and you can see where things went wrong.  You can see where if a pass had been completed or if a coverage wasn't blown or an assignment wasn't missed, or how if a field goal wasn't missed, your team could have won the game.

What ****ing sucks is seeing this team get the absolute **** kicked out of them for two weeks in a row.  There's so much blame to go around, I don't even know where to start.  And this team is further away from being good than where it was 3 years ago when they backed into the playoffs on a a 7-9 record.  At least then you had an inclination that maybe, just maybe they could put it together and string some winning seasons and playoff berths together.  That Ron might have been the guy.

I suppose what makes this mostly frustrating for me is that they're getting WORSE.  They could have easily lost the Jaguars game if Trevor Lawrence completes some passes.  They get blown out last week against the Lions, they get blown the **** out yesterday, too.  Greenberg on ESPN said it earlier this morning, the 24-8 score makes the game sound a lot closer than it actually was and he's correct.  

The other frustrating thing is that you can make an argument (Ryan Clark made this argument earlier on Get Up) that Philly is the best team in the NFC.  Now I don't like making those proclamations 3 weeks into the season but I can see where he has a point.  

But you look at Philly and see what they have and what we don't.  They have a talented GM, one of the best in the sport, quite frankly I can't even tell who our GM is; Ron?  Martin Mayhew?  Who the **** is Marty Hurney and what the **** does he do?  They picked guys from Alabama, we picked guys from Alabama and you could argue we picked the wrong ones.  Hurts (yeah, he used his last year of eligibility at Oklahoma but he made a name for himself at Alabama) and DeVonta Smith look to be great, we've got a D-line with some Alabama guys that we thought was going to be legendary and, in turn, we massively overrate.  It's a moot point anyway, had we drafted Hurts he probably wouldn't have been as good here as he's developing in Philly. 

They made the decision to jettison Wentz, and after a stopover in Indy, we get him and we're as excited as dogs getting to lick a plate at the dinner table.  Now I don't think Wentz is as bad as he showed yesterday, but I will say he's not great.  And that's the thing about the real great ones, they don't have bad games.  For them, a mediocre game is a bad game.  They might have a clunker like Wentz did yesterday but it's few and far between.  I won't be surprised if Wentz has another game like that this year.  Meanwhile, Hurts looks to be ascending towards the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL.

I suppose that's one of the main reasons why I was so upset yesterday, not only was it a division game but it was against a team who I loathe but have a deep respect for because they're almost always good.  And when they're bad, they're not bad for very long.  

I look at Philly and I see the inverse of where we are, the opposite end of the spectrum.  They're a deep team, brimming with young talent, solid veterans, a bright young coach and a great front office.  The Commanders are not those things and they're not even close.  

I'm fearful of how much rope Ron (and in turn, his coaching staff gets) due to the fact that "Ron is a good guy," and "Ron is a respectable guy" and the "He did such a great job while battling cancer."  I'm fearful that we're in another Jay situation where he's going to be the coach for awhile because he's a "likable guy" and doesn't rock the boat.  Also, my conspiracy theory here is that Dan wanted to stick it to the fans because we were all upset for him changing coaches all the time so he saddled us with milquetoast Jay and to prove it to everyone who criticized him, he let Jay ride out his contract.  I think that's what's going to happen here with Ron.  

Anyway, yeah.  I'm so tired of this **** and like I said yesterday really took it out of me.  I think I'm always going to be a fan, I think I'm always going to be posting here, partially because typing long ass ****ing **** like this is somewhat cathartic.  But quite frankly, I'm wondering what else I can do with Sunday afternoons in the fall in the coming weeks.  Dallas is next week and that's always must-watch for me so I'll probably watch that.  However, if next weeks results are in line with these past two weeks, I'm going to be finding something else to do.  I'll watch replays, I'll watch highlights but I can't honestly say that I can mandatorily set aside Sundays at 1pm for this ****ing football team anymore.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can accept losing close games because oftentimes the answers are right there and you can see where things went wrong.  You can see where if a pass had been completed or if a coverage wasn't blown or an assignment wasn't missed, or how if a field goal wasn't missed, your team could have won the game.

What ****ing sucks is seeing this team get the absolute **** kicked out of them for two weeks in a row.  There's so much blame to go around, I don't even know where to start.  And this team is further away from being good than where it was 3 years ago when they backed into the playoffs on a a 7-9 record.  At least then you had an inclination that maybe, just maybe they could put it together and string some winning seasons and playoff berths together.  That Ron might have been the guy.

I suppose what makes this mostly frustrating for me is that they're getting WORSE.  They could have easily lost the Jaguars game if Trevor Lawrence completes some passes.  They get blown out last week against the Lions, they get blown the **** out yesterday, too.  Greenberg on ESPN said it earlier this morning, the 24-8 score makes the game sound a lot closer than it actually was and he's correct.  

The other frustrating thing is that you can make an argument (Ryan Clark made this argument earlier on Get Up) that Philly is the best team in the NFC.  Now I don't like making hose proclamations 3 weeks into the season but I can see where he has a point.  

But you look at Philly and see what they have and what we don't.  They have a talented GM, one of the best in the sport, quite frankly I can't even tell who our GM is; Ron?  Martin Mayhew?  Who the **** is Marty Hurney and what the **** does he do?  They picked guys from Alabama, we picked guys from Alabama and you could argue we picked the wrong ones.  Hurts (yeah, he used his last year of eligibility at Oklahoma but he made a name for himself at Alabama) and DeVonta Smith look to be great, we've got a D-line with some Alabama guys that we thought was going to be legendary and, in turn, we massively overrate.  It's a moot point anyway, had we drafted Hurts he probably wouldn't have been as good here as he's developing in Philly. 

They made the decision to jettison Wentz, and after a stopover in Indy, we get him and we're as excited as dogs getting to lick a plate at the dinner table.  Now I don't think Wentz is as bad as he showed yesterday, but I will say he's not great.  And that's the thing about the real great ones, they don't have bad games.  For them, a mediocre game is a bad game.  They might have a clunker like Wentz did yesterday but it's few and far between.  I won't be surprised if Wentz has another game like that this year.  Meanwhile, Hurts looks to be ascending towards the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL.

I suppose that's one of the main reasons why I was so upset yesterday, not only was it a division game but it was against a team who I loathe but have a deep respect for because they're almost always good.  And when they're bad, they're not bad for very long.  

I look at Philly and I see the inverse of where we are, the opposite end of the spectrum.  They're a deep team, brimming with young talent, solid veterans, a bright young coach and a great front office.  The Commanders are not those things and they're not even close.  

I'm fearful of how much rope Ron (and in turn, his coaching staff gets) due to the fact that "Ron is a good guy," and "Ron is a respectable guy" and the "He did such a great job while battling cancer."  I'm fearful that we're in another Jay situation where he's going to be the coach for awhile because he's a "likable guy" and doesn't rock the boat.  Also, my conspiracy theory here is that Dan wanted to stick it to the fans because we were all upset for him changing coaches all the time so he saddled us with milquetoast Jay and to prove it to everyone who criticized him, he let Jay ride out his contract.  I think that's what's going to happen here with Ron.  

Anyway, yeah.  I'm so tired of this **** and like I said yesterday really took it out of me.  I think I'm always going to be a fan, I think I'm always going to be posting here, partially because typing long ass ****ing **** like this is somewhat cathartic.  But quite frankly, I'm wondering what else I can do with Sunday afternoons in the fall in the coming weeks.  Dallas is next week and that's always must-watch for me so I'll probably watch that.  However, if next weeks results are in line with these past two weeks, I'm going to be finding something else to do.  I'll watch replays, I'll watch highlights but I can't honestly say that I can't mandatorily set aside Sundays at 1pm for this ****ing football team anymore.  

Agree with most of this besides the comment on Hurts.  He still looks pretty pedestrian to me at QB.  The difference he is stands behind a wall of an O-line and has playmakers at WR.  For the most part he makes a lot of shorter passes and lets the playmakers do the rest.  In fact I think what stings so much about the game yesterday is a microcosm of what this franchise never seems to be able to figure out.  Hurts was making a lot of throws to WRs that were pretty well covered, yet the WR's used their physicality to make the catches.  Had any of our QBs made those same throws, they are likely incompletions or worse and we are all yelling at the TV asking why they even made those throws.   Also, the Eagles offense came out of the gate pretty slow and ineffective until they connected on that pass down the sideline that was actually an incompletion.  It was the offense doing absolutely nothing for 3 quarters that removed any chance of winning.  As a QB if you can consistently throw jump balls and they end up as completions or TDs, you are going to have a good day on the stat sheet. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@Spaceman Spiff I can’t believe it took this long to reach indifference. I watch because it’s engrained. But I can’t tell you the last time I was genuinely upset.

Yeah, I watch out of habit.  And that's what I told myself yesterday, it's time to break this habit.  I'm looking at this like quitting smoking or something.  

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Agree with most of this besides the comment on Hurts.  He still looks pretty pedestrian to me at QB.  The difference he is stands behind a wall of an O-line and has playmakers at WR.  For the most part he makes a lot of shorter passes and lets the playmakers do the rest.  In fact I think what stings so much about the game yesterday is a microcosm of what this franchise never seems to be able to figure out.  Hurts was making a lot of throws to WRs that were pretty well covered, yet the WR's used their physicality to make the catches.  Had any of our QBs made those same throws, they are likely incompletions or worse and we are all yelling at the TV asking why they even made those throws.   Also, the Eagles offense came out of the gate pretty slow and ineffective until they connected on that pass down the sideline that was actually an incompletion.  It was the offense doing absolutely nothing for 3 quarters that removed any chance of winning.  As a QB if you can consistently throw jump balls and they end up as completions or TDs, you are going to have a good day on the stat sheet. 

That's fine, we can agree to disagree although I can understand why you feel that way about Hurts.  I'm not saying he's like Lamar Jackson or anything but I think he's pretty good.  And you're correct, Philly has given him the tools and the weapons to win, which, like you said is a microcosm of what the commies never seem to be able to figure out.  

You're also correct, the offense didn't do anything for 3 quarters but I'm not going to delve into Norv's kid and why I should be thinking he's some playcalling genius when he's a slave to his 15 ****ing scripted plays to start a game or whatever.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think the season was in jeopardy when we did nothing in FA. And if anything lost depth.

Sone here decry Rivera having power yet at the same time believe that he did this off season the opposite of what FOs run by coaches do which is instead of indulging in the buffet too much at the detrment of the teams long term future he skipped the Buffett and took food off the plate.  

We got 3 diiferent beat guys who suggested the Dan had him on a budget. We got Dan 2 years or so ago skipping paying his minority owners at the time complaining about cash flow due to Covid. We got Rivera saying Richmond was out this year because it was expensive. We got the Sheehan report from his show that he heard that they had to cut back on travel perks and food this  year.

Yeah I put some of this fior sure on Rivera but I put a lot more on the owner.

Other reports that they wanted Collins back and indeed fished in FA for some established names but the money was too rich hence they signed minimum salary guys on the cheap.

All signs point to me that it’s counter intuitive that Rivera imposed his own draconian approach on the budget for kicks - it points big time to Dan.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the season was in jeopardy when we did nothing in FA. And if anything lost depth.

Sone here decry Rivera having power yet at the same time believe that he did this off season the opposite of what FOs run by coaches do which is instead of indulging in the buffet too much at the detrment of the teams long term future he skipped the Buffett and took food off the plate.  

We got 3 diiferent beat guys who suggested the Dan had him on a budget. We got Dan 2 years or so ago skipping paying his minority owners at the time complaining about cash flow due to Covid. We got Rivera saying Richmond was out this year because it was expensive. We got the Sheehan report from his show that he heard that they had to cut back on travel perks and food this  year.

Yeah I put some of this fior sure on Rivera but I put a lot more on the owner.

Other reports that they wanted Collins back and indeed fished in FA for some established names but the money was too rich hence they signed minimum salary guys on the cheap.

All signs point to me that it’s counter intuitive that Rivera imposed his own draconian approach on the budget for kicks - it points big time to Dan.

Yep I agree we backed ourselves into this corner when we bypassed free agency.

For all the talk that Dan held the money back, we currently have a reported salary cap number in the 3mil region. Basically all but nothing. I understand the difference between cap and cash, I mean we could have and still can re work deals to create space. However there appears little desire to do so.

I think Rivera got Wentz and badly over rated the quality of our remaining roster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What bothers me is……this team NEEDS fans back, but winning has to happen first. And the longer it takes to start winning consistently, the less fans we’ll have. And while i 100% understand it, it sucks at the same time :( THANKS DAN! **** you 

Dan's ****ed this franchise in a lot of ways.  One of the main ones is losing a generation or two of fans that are local to the DMV because of how ****ty they've been.  Either they root for random players because of fantasy teams or root for other teams entirely.  

Growing up here in the 80s and early 90s, the Redskins were almost a religion, it was practically unfathomable to watch something else or do something else on a Sunday afternoon in the fall.  It was such a big thing and those days are gone and never coming back.  And it's been that way for quite some time now.  A generation or two of fans grew up in the DMV without knowing what that was like and, as a result, they're just not interested in this team anymore.   

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@Spaceman Spiff I can’t believe it took this long to reach indifference. I watch because it’s engrained. But I can’t tell you the last time I was genuinely upset.

Same. I don't get upset over losses anymore. I'll get frustrated/angry over dumb plays during the game but get over it pretty quick. Can't imagine anyone still has emotional attachment to this franchise anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dan's ****ed this franchise in a lot of ways.  One of the main ones is losing a generation or two of fans that are local to the DMV because of how ****ty they've been.  Either they root for random players because of fantasy teams or root for other teams entirely.  

Growing up here in the 80s and early 90s, the Redskins were almost a religion, it was practically unfathomable to watch something else or do something else on a Sunday afternoon in the fall.  It was such a big thing and those days are gone and never coming back.  And it's been that way for quite some time now.  A generation or two of fans grew up in the DMV without knowing what that was like and, as a result, they're just not interested in this team anymore.   

Yeah, like I said, I 100% understand it. It sucks, at the same time. I want people to support the team. I understand fully the reasons, believe me I do. It does suck however :( 

• Like 1