Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Lions Command Respect

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said this previously, Jay Gruden who is brutally honest said when asked in a podcast that Del Rio's defenses were among the easiest for him to prepare against because he doesn't try to trick you, you know what they are going to do. 

There was undoubtedly some scheme issues. Del Rio is fairly simple. But here’s the rub… he’s simple but yet his guys still don’t cover who they are supposed to. We have multiple issues on this team.

Thing is that we have enough talent to look good one week, but we lack enough talent to look awful the next. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said this previously, Jay Gruden who is brutally honest said when asked in a podcast that Del Rio's defenses were among the easiest for him to prepare against because he doesn't try to trick you, you know what they are going to do. 

exactly what i meant when i said JDR is basic and unimaginative. the game has passed him by.

but that week 1 tape on Jamin is going to plague him and us all season. Jags went at him, Lions saw and went at him. Expect Philly to do the same.

Turner and the offense is "ok".  I wish they made adjustments faster but I do like their relatively quick strike ability---that is a nice feature to have.

The defense is embarrassing.  Our defensive linemen do not rise to the occasion vs f'in backups----they cannot beat a guy one on one! 

Offensively and defensively, we let one guy destroy our entire game plan.  We had no counter-punch to St. Brown and Hutch doing whatever they wanted.  Hutch was having such a good time that he over-exerted himself.  Swift caught a ball, did fifty pushups and still scored a touchdown untouched.

What is the rationale for the second attempt for two????

Thought I'd see more love for Jamin. Had a couple impact plays. About as many as he had all last season. A lot of that came from blitzing him, and even having designed stunts to really simplify things for him. They challenged him, made things a little easier and he responded a little bit. Something to build on

Disappointed to see us forget to use Gibby in the way we did last week. Went right back to previous season usage. What was that.

Alllllmost ready to call Dot a legit redzone threat. Wanna see one more. Hes our best option at it right now, so I'm certainly scheming for him around the RZ.

Hopefully we get curl back. D could use the jolt

Coaching moves were bizarre.

• Thumb up 1

Defense is bad no doubt about it. The team did not come ready to play this week and this will be a bad lose for tie breakers.

Will be interested to see how we do next week. I think this team can contend for a wild card spot in NFC. It does not look like any of the nfc east teams look particularly great depending on what eagles do tommrow.

Edited by Redskins 2021

9 minutes ago, Captain James said:

It felt like our guys didn't actually study any of Detroit's tendencies throughout the week or something- like the were caught completely off guard by their defense and offensive stars.

To be fair it's only been a game they had to study on.  I didn't watch the Lions Eagles game so I'm not sure if they ran alot of the same play designs or not.  Hell we were so disguised in our own play calling not even Cam Sims knew about the flea flicker we ran lol

Hutchinson has already had the kinda game we haven't seen from CY in a year and half. In one game he's half way caught up to him in sacks.. But I will say Wentz gave him one of those sacks..

I mean listen, they addressed their offensive needs this past offseason, with the return of Samuel its clear this offense is legit.. Its only gonna get scarier once Robinson comes back and we include Bates and Turner.. LB and corner needs to get addressed this offseason, and if you can find a legit safety get one..Lions clearly showed last week wasn't a fluke..

Question: someone mentioned Shawn Springs saying they need to admit they can't get home with 4 and change the scheme. Does it make any sense (genuinely curious, I do not know enough about defense or football in general to know the answer) that they think the rush will improve when Chase gets back and therefore don't want to change the entire scheme before then? Ignoring the opinion of whether or not Chase will actually make that big of a difference when he returns or not, could that be a possibility as for why they continue to try?

Edited by CarlH
Missing letter

2 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Question: someone mentioned Shawn Springs saying they need to admit they can't get home with 4 and change the scheme. Does it make any sense (genuinely curious, I do not know enough about defense or football in general to know the answer) that they think the rush will improve when Chase gets back snd therefore don't want to change the entire scheme before then? Ignoring the opinion of whether or not Chase will actually make that big of a difference when he returns or not, could that be a possibility as for why they continue to try?

Probably but they are blitzing more. The sack on the first drive was a blitz from Davis. And we had a DB blitz last week that resulted in a sack.

The problem is if we blitz and don't get there(which happens often), we get absolutely TORCHED because the secondary has no ability to hold up at all.

• Thumb up 1

Turner's scheme won't scheme two receivers into the same place, but it might have two outbreaks routes, or two crossing routes, where if one of them are thrown off, two receivers often end up in the same area. His scheme sometimes creates congestion and traffic and/or brings extra defenders to the play side. Kurt Warner has broken it down well in his review of game one; the deficiencies we reference about Turner's. Obviously he's not telling two guys to stand next to each other. He creates too many opportunities for that to be a possibility, though.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but it starts and ends with coaching.  Everything we are doing wrong can be tied directly to coaching.  This was one of the most poorly coached performances I've ever seen.  It laid bare for me how truly awful our staff is, from Rivera on down.  JDL is an absolute disgrace.  Dude should have been canned last season.  Norv Turner...sorry, Scott Turner, is a just like his old man: moments of promise surrounded by long spells of absolutely atrocious in game play calling.  And Rivera is just clueless.  Clueless on personnel and clueless on coaching.  This is not a guy who should have final say over anything, let alone everything.  All these teams that have been awful for long stretches--the lions, Jax, detroit, bengals, miami, the freakin giants, are all turning it around, but the commodores or the commanders or whatever stupid name we have, we are just stuck in neutral forever and ever. 

Ron made a big deal about year 3 because he felt he had to but really it is about year 4. You have a QB now, Wentz can play and the offense has its weapons signed for a few more years and I think we may have an awesome RB. It needs to be all about D, D coaching, and D players for the next year then we will have turned the corner.

"Today was a total team failure."

That means it was coaching.  Some of you seem to have an insane crazy person idea that coaches only exist for 3 hours on Sunday, and dont spend 300 days a year coaching the players, motivating them, making phone calls, cutting players, signing players, scouting players, developing gameplans etc.  If a couple of players blow assignments and cost the team its the players.  If its the entire team, its the players.  

Because I know none of you that work for a bad company that seems incompetent will take the fall for horrible management, so why is it okay in football?

• Like 1

I think it can simultaneously be coaching and the personnel.  In the case of the defense, there just aren't NFL starting caliber players in too many positions on the field at any given time.  

The way Ron has reacted to the defense for the first 2 games of the season, it almost seems like he realizes they don't have the caliber of players right now to where they just need to be "coached up better"  I am a little baffled why he has called out Jamin Davis by name after both games.  I can only rationalize it by assuming Rivera honestly feels there is a special player there that is waiting to break through, versus a lot of the secondary and the other linebackers that he feels their issues aren't coachable. 

• Like 2