Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

On 12/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, profusion said:

Has trading for a coach ever worked out? The only time that might qualify would be the Bucs trading for Jon Gruden and then immediately winning the title. He did it with Dungy's players, though, and never got close to that again. It's just as likely the Bucs would have won that year with Dungy, anyway, because that team was amazing.

And yes, trading for Tomlin would be a quintessential Danny Boy move. I see nothing in the record supporting the idea that Josh would do that. He's going to want a fresher, analytics-focused hire.

The Dolphins gave a first round pick to the Colts for Don Shula. Though perhaps not a trade per se, it obviously worked out well.

6 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

The Dolphins gave a first round pick to the Colts for Don Shula. Though perhaps not a trade per se, it obviously worked out well.

I hadn't realized that. Yeah, you'd have to say it worked out for the Dolphins. Maybe not so much for the Colts!

1 hour ago, profusion said:

I hadn't realized that. Yeah, you'd have to say it worked out for the Dolphins. Maybe not so much for the Colts!

It was a tricky situation. The Colts were upset with Shula at the time. They held it against him for losing the Super Bowl to the Jets and were disappointed with failing to make the playoffs the next year. He believed they had given him permission to sign elsewhere. He agreed to go to the Dolphins. At that point, Colts ownership cried foul, and the league decreed that the Dolphins had to give them a first round pick as compensation. There was a lot of animosity at the time between the two teams.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Drafted by Jay, didn't reach his potential here, killing it with the Bears while also taking shots at this regime.  One in a series of damning events for Ron.  His regime has aged to me as the 2nd worst in the Dan era after Zorn

Spurrier is a forgotten joke. I distinctly remember them blocking Simeon Rice, the year he had like 19 sacks, with Trung Candidate and Zeron Flemister, instead of Chris Samules.

I think Spurrier was on par with Zorn.

16 days until January 8th

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Drafted by Jay, didn't reach his potential here, killing it with the Bears while also taking shots at this regime.  One in a series of damning events for Ron.  His regime has aged to me as the 2nd worst in the Dan era after Zorn. 

Starting to see positive Sweat posts from guys that were down on him at times...shame on you fools!  😞

10 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Starting to see positive Sweat posts from guys that were down on him at times...shame on you fools!  😞

🤷 I still wouldn’t want to have given him that contract, sorry. Even if I had to spend that money at EDGE, I’d do it on a similar player in FA and still have a 2nd in my pocket—because Sweat had already toxified in the culture here and wasn’t enough of a leader to be part of the solution. Not his fault, but it didn’t work here and I wouldn’t want such a tremendous loser and underachiever here with the new regime if the alternative is a premium enough draft pick and the cap space to replace him with someone who has a clean slate. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

🤷 I still wouldn’t want to have given him that contract, sorry. Even if I had to spend that money at EDGE, I’d do it on a similar player in FA and still have a 2nd in my pocket—because Sweat had already toxified in the culture here and wasn’t enough of a leader to be part of the solution. Not his fault, but it didn’t work here and I wouldn’t want such a tremendous loser and underachiever here with the new regime if the alternative is a premium enough draft pick and the cap space to replace him with someone who has a clean slate. 

To me Sweat has been a solid player, consistently producing pressure. Over the years we have had too few players that have done this. That's been the same through the league and why good DE/Edge players are in high demand. This years draft is below average for the position so a 2nd rounder equating to the play of Sweat is doubtful. Same with the chances of this team pulling in a good one via FA. Leaves another void in the lineup that will need to be addressed, especially with Chase also being gone. I guess you and I will agree to disagree on this player. 

19 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think Spurrier was on par with Zorn.

16 days until January 8th

Spurrier was obviously famous from his Gator days, but neither him nor Zorn really had much in the way of NFL coaching pedigree. So expectations shouldn't have been high for either.

I'd put Shanny and Ron as the ones who have been the big disappointments.

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This years draft is below average for the position so a 2nd rounder equating to the play of Sweat is doubtful. Same with the chances of this team pulling in a good one via FA.

At the time of the trade, would you have signed him for $75m guaranteed, or whatever it was? I wouldn’t have.

Either way, we’d have to pay a DE, be it Sweat, Hunter, Allen, Burns or whomever. And it’s unlikely he would have resigned here, based on what people have said. So instead having a hole at DE, we have a hole at DE and an early 2nd round pick. We may not fill DE there, but maybe TE, LB, OG, WR or any of our other holes.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Spurrier was obviously famous from his Gator days, but neither him nor Zorn really had much in the way of NFL coaching pedigree. So expectations shouldn't have been high for either.

I'd put Shanny and Ron as the ones who have been the big disappointments.

Shanny was submarined by Dan and RG3. He and his son were not a disappointments. Ron is a 100% disappointment. More like Pardee

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

At the time of the trade, would you have signed him for $75m guaranteed, or whatever it was? I wouldn’t have.

Either way, we’d have to pay a DE, be it Sweat, Hunter, Allen, Burns or whomever. And it’s unlikely he would have resigned here, based on what people have said. So instead having a hole at DE, we have a hole at DE and an early 2nd round pick. We may not fill DE there, but maybe TE, LB, OG, WR or any of our other holes.

I do not believe the contract would have been that big. Once the team declined the 5 year option on Chase it was evident that unless he had a monster year, and they tagged him, he'd be gone. I believe Sweat should have been signed and set going into the year. We have no true starter for either side so reality is, we need to two and will be lucky to find one. If filling all those holes is to be handled via draft, they need lose today and throughout then listen to trade back offers to gather picks.

I've been 100% behind resigning Sweat from day 1, but I understand why we traded him. It took a pick that was almost a first rounder to pry him out, before a rebuild happens.

Spurrier I had some hope that he'd work out. Zorn was such a cluster**** from day one. Worst hiring process ever. Fassil, Bingo halls, just failure. I think Ron sits just above them barely, but he is firmly in that bottom 3.

It's crazy how dysfunctional we were, yet had so many current HCs on our staff at one point. It's like 1/6th of all coaches came from us. I'm not mathing today, but that rivals Reid.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I believe Sweat should have been signed

This is my point: Sweat and no 2nd round pick. OR. Hunter/Allen/Burns AND and early 2nd? Give me the latter. Whether we traded Sweat or not, we would have had to fork out cash for a DE anyway, so why not add a 2nd, and go after one of these DEs in free agency? We are not beholden to only the draft. All speculation is Harris and Co. will spend this year, with a legitimate, analytics-based front office. This is no longer where careers go to die. Yeah our facilities still blow and our stadium still is a **** hole, but we now know it will change, and soon.

I wouldn't pay Young a dime. He's demonstrably an overrated glory hog who quits on plays.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is my point: Sweat and no 2nd round pick. OR. Hunter/Allen/Burns AND and early 2nd? Give me the latter. Whether we traded Sweat or not, we would have had to fork out cash for a DE anyway, so why not add a 2nd, and go after one of these DEs in free agency? We are not beholden to only the draft. All speculation is Harris and Co. will spend this year, with a legitimate, analytics-based front office. This is no longer where careers go to die. Yeah our facilities still blow and our stadium still is a **** hole, but we now know it will change, and soon.

I wouldn't pay Young a dime. He's demonstrably an overrated glory hog who quits on plays.

My point is there is zero guarantee Hunter/Allen/Burns are available when FA hits. They could be resigned or tagged. If they do reach FA there will be lots of teams competing for their services. Some of those teams will be contenders with good track records, proven coaching and good facilities. You would need to add one other scenario to the two you offered - you could end out with no Sweat, no Hunter/Allen/Burns and no 2nd rounder, with 2 DE/Edge slots that still need filing. Then you start looking at the second and third tier FA's.

I agree regarding Young.

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

My point is there is zero guarantee Hunter/Allen/Burns are available when FA hits. They could be resigned or tagged. If they do reach FA there will be lots of teams competing for their services. Some of those teams will be contenders with good track records, proven coaching and good facilities. You would need to add one other scenario to the two you offered - you could end out with no Sweat, no Hunter/Allen/Burns and no 2nd rounder, with 2 DE/Edge slots that still need filing. Then you start looking at the second and third tier FA's.

I agree regarding Young.

Actually Hunter cannot be franchised.  That was put in his current contract that is expiring

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I agree regarding Young.

True, but I think we would have had to overpay Sweat, significantly. But it's all speculation at this point.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, profusion said:

Has trading for a coach ever worked out? The only time that might qualify would be the Bucs trading for Jon Gruden and then immediately winning the title. He did it with Dungy's players, though, and never got close to that again. It's just as likely the Bucs would have won that year with Dungy, anyway, because that team was amazing.

I can think of one that worked out pretty well.

giphy.gif

• Thumb up 3

On 12/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Drafted by Jay, didn't reach his potential here, killing it with the Bears while also taking shots at this regime.  One in a series of damning events for Ron.  His regime has aged to me as the 2nd worst in the Dan era after Zorn. 

I don’t know. There’s some tough competition for worst Snyder regime.

Shanahan, Spurrier and Zorn all had a 37.5% win pct. 

Rivera has a whopping 40% right now. He is very likely to finish 26-40-1. That is a 38.8% win pct. 

Shanahan at least has good coaches. But the other three? Toss a three sided coin.

• Like 1