Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

33 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

As a Stillers fan, I will say Tomlin will never get anywhere near 320 wins. He would have to average 10 wins per season for another 16 years, which is doubtful since he lost to two 10-loss teams in consecutive weeks at home. The problem is in Pitt is that Tomlin isn't bad enough to fire, while in the meantime a good season to him means 9 wins. He's 9-7 every year, like an inverted Jeff Fisher.

And he gets out coached by a half senile Bill Belichick and made Zappe look like Tom Brady II.

I meant he will catch Marty.  He won't catch anybody else on that list.  He's not getting anywhere close to Shula or Belichick. 

I am a Tomlin defender, but partially because he kicked me out of watching TV in the University Center at William and Mary when we were there in the late 1990's.  :) 

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

But Terry is the one somewhat pseudo-leading the charge against EB, so clearly it isn't that simple

Oh I don't think its simple. I mean yes clearly he is a dick and the players are poorly coached by him. Also they lose so all the effort for what exactly? I just don't think, outside of like 3 guys literally, any of the players on the team deserve any kind of credit at all. 

Basically this roster and organization from the HC down are an example of one of the worst groups of professional football players and coaches ever assembled. Mentally and physically. And no one is working hard. Including the people ****ing the loudest. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am a Tomlin defender, but partially because he kicked me out of watching TV in the University Center at William and Mary when we were there in the late 1990's.  :) 

You are a fan of an NFL coach because he kicked you out from something? There's a story here that demands to be told, no matter how short.

Edited by NickyJ

Just now, NickyJ said:

You are a fan of someone because he kicked you out from something? There's a story here that demands to be told, no matter how short.

Chuckle, I was actually visiting William and Mary as a HS Senior and sitting in the University Center watching the "big" projection screen, in absolute awe of it's majesty (Probably was like a 45" projection screen, but back then it was HUGE), and Tomlin and a bunch of the football guys came in and usurped the TV.  But they were very polite about kicking me out, and Tomlin said something to the effect of "it's a great school, you should come here. Thanks for leaving so we can watch what we want."

I had no idea who he was at the time, clearly had no idea he was going to be a football coach, but it's a fun memory. When I saw his face on TV when he was the DC at the Vikings, I almost spit out my drink and was like, "hey, it's that guy who kicked me out of the TV area when I was visiting W&M!"  And then he got the Steelers job. 

And we went to the same school and not that many W&M football people are in the NFL, so, eh, it's kindof a thing.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Oh I don't think its simple. I mean yes clearly he is a dick and the players are poorly coached by him. Also they lose so all the effort for what exactly? I just don't think, outside of like 3 guys literally, any of the players on the team deserve any kind of credit at all. 

Basically this roster and organization from the HC down are an example of one of the worst groups of professional football players and coaches ever assembled. Mentally and physically. And no one is working hard. Including the people ****ing the loudest. 

Yeah I agree with that. Like, if Dyami Brown were to come out and **** about EB I'd tell him to stfu and work on his routes. Coming from Terry is another matter, but ultimately it's all about results and winning.

But then again, Ron's atrocious OL put EB and the rest of the offense in a position to lose from the jump. But why not move around personnel to mitigate the damage? Move Wylie to guard and start Lucas at RT? Wylie is an EB guy, too. It's just a whole pot of **** and I can't wait to start clean on January 8.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Do I hit the "like" or the "sad" button, we don't have both.

I still wish they had extended Sweat before the start of the season.

Unfortunately, they extended the wrong player, Payne.  He blew it up his contract year and played well.  He back to his normal playing self.  Way below the way he should be playing.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Unfortunately, they extended the wrong player, Payne.  He blew it up his contract year and played well.  He back to his normal playing self.  Way below the way he should be playing.  

Weird how poor Payne played this season but he really has been a very good player over the years regardless of blowing a year ago.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Weird how poor Payne played this season but he really has been a very good player over the years regardless of blowing a year ago.

Not really.  He got paid.  Also, a player and team play up to the leadership of coaching and I don't see any of this in their coaches.  They don't seem to know how to.  

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Payne’s pressure rate is apparently inline with his career norm according to Paulsen. His pressure to sack rate has fallen off a cliff. So there is an argument to be made it is more luck than effort

Also didn’t he break a finger in Atlanta?

Edited by method man

Was listening to Logan Paulsen breaking down the team on Al Galdi's podcast yesterday and they were discussing Payne. According to Paulsen, Payne is playing pretty much the same way he has the past couple of years and his pressure rate mirrors what it was last year except he isn't getting the sack numbers. He felt the same about his tape two years ago and that sometimes individual sack numbers in a box score don't tell the story. Take that for it's worth. He did say Allen struggled earlier in the season but has since played better. 

On 12/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, method man said:

Payne’s pressure rate is apparently inline with his career norm according to Paulsen. His pressure to sack rate has fallen off a cliff. So there is an argument to be made it is more luck than effort

Also didn’t he break a finger in Atlanta?

Yeah.  It was memorable because you never see that guy go down in games.

Allen has been playing hurt too, and so has Terry.  These guys are our best players and they are all good eggs.  The fact that they are having low production seasons in a lost year for the team isn't worrisome.  It's just what happens when good players get hurt and the team falls apart around them.  They'll be back to their old selves next year so long as we don't make the mistake of giving up on them.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

According to Tom Curran, Belichick and Pats are parting ways at season end.  That's likely to occupy the news cycle and Ron firing will go unnoticed.  LOL

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/patriots-made-decision-bill-belichick-future-patriots/572113/?partner=yahoo&cid=yahoo

According to Patriots insider Tom E. Curran, the Patriots' embarrassing 10-6 loss to the Indianapolis Colts in Frankfurt, Germany on Nov. 12 led to the team concluding it would part ways with Belichick after the 2023 season.

"When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made," Curran said Monday on NBC Sports Boston's Arbella Early Edition, as seen in the video above. "They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year there would be a parting of the ways, for a variety of reasons."

• Like 1

"Part ways." Lol.  Too embarrassed to admit they're firing the greatest coach in NFL history.

That **** is shameful.  You just don't do that when you are lucky to have a Mount Rushmore coach.  You take your medicine and let him decide when things are over.

May they never win another Superbowl for that complete lack of gratitude and grace.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

"Part ways." Lol.  Too embarrassed to admit they're firing the greatest coach in NFL history.

That **** is shameful.  You just don't do that when you are lucky to have a Mount Rushmore coach.  You take your medicine and let him decide when things are over.

May they never win another Superbowl for that complete lack of gratitude and grace.

They have taken what he has brought to the table for granted.

Their history from the the mid 60's through Bellichick's arrival (barring 84-85 and 96-97) resembles Washington's post Gibbs1 history.

He brought them most impressive run in NFL history. I doubt any team matches what they have done in the 2000's.

• Like 3

I don't feel like the Pats are trying to do Belicek dirty. Trying to sound diplomatic is the best course if they want to part ways. But coaching tenures are odd things and there are times when the message and/or operations get stale. John Madden was once quoted saying that the coaching message has a shelf life of @ 10 years or so, which is why he stepped out when he did. Another layer to the long-tenured coach is that they tend to have so much control, that bringing in a GM who attempts to have any sway can cause serious friction and not ever work, either. Interesting times up there in New England. Not sad that they experience some hardship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

No, even great ones reach a point where it’s time to go. BB has failed post Brady. It’s time to move.  Some desperate team will hire BB.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

According to Tom Curran, Belichick and Pats are parting ways at season end.  That's likely to occupy the news cycle and Ron firing will go unnoticed.  LOL

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/patriots-made-decision-bill-belichick-future-patriots/572113/?partner=yahoo&cid=yahoo

According to Patriots insider Tom E. Curran, the Patriots' embarrassing 10-6 loss to the Indianapolis Colts in Frankfurt, Germany on Nov. 12 led to the team concluding it would part ways with Belichick after the 2023 season.

"When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made," Curran said Monday on NBC Sports Boston's Arbella Early Edition, as seen in the video above. "They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year there would be a parting of the ways, for a variety of reasons."

Thanks for the post as always, HigSkin.  I am so hoping that Harris doesn't hire BB.  He was successful ONLY because of Tom Brady.  JMO.  :) 

He needs to give all the credit to Tom Brady and his GM(s).  Look at his record w/o Brady.  JMO but Brady would have made any HC great.  

On 12/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, DWinzit said:

Do I hit the "like" or the "sad" button, we don't have both.

I still wish they had extended Sweat before the start of the season.

Sweat is doing great in Chicago.....it shows that there is talent in DC but there is still plenty of dysfunction and poor leadership/coaching. I'll bet Fuller and Curl run to greener pastures rather than staying here. Same with Gibson and the rest of them. The saying goes that it will get worse before it gets better so maybe a total re-start is in order. We could be picking in the top 5 again next year until the new staff gets things right. 

On 12/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, DWinzit said:

The entire defense sucked this year.....every one of them. That has to be on the coach. No way they can all just suck out of nowhere. Payne gets a pass in my book because I think he cares. 

• Like 1

As a Sixers fan, and knowing the track record of Josh Harris' coaching hires, I think it will be very tough for him to not pursue Bill Belichick if he becomes available. I would bet Magic Johnson will be very intrigued as well. How could you not be? If you were the owner, just dropped 6 billion dollars, and the most successful coach in NFL history came available wouldn't you take a hard look at him? Who will be a better candidate? 

I'm in no way endorsing this move but Harris has twice hired former NBA championship coaches when making changes. There are much worse options for re-starting a franchise than the best to ever do it (besides Saint Joe). 

This offseason is gonna have our collective heads spinning. We all need to stick together and embrace the changes about to come. 

And there’s not even any glory to be gained doing what they’re doing. The AFC is ****ing stacked right now, the Patriots are going to stay in a rut for a while unless they get lucky with one of these top QB’s if they draft in the top-5 (which would have been a great way to get Belichick his all-time wins record—let him kickstart the career of a talented, toolsy QB after whiffing on Jones and then hand it off in a few years. He can still clearly scheme defense). 

I live here in Boston, the fans are just spoiled. There are fans around my age (30’s) who have almost literally never known true failure—and not just in football. Kraft is old as hell and his legacy is secured. Him not being willing to ignore those loud NE fans for a few years to let Belichick go out on his own terms is embarrassing, I agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I live here in Boston, the fans are just spoiled. There are fans around my age (30’s) who have almost literally never known true failure—and not just in football. Kraft is old as hell and his legacy is secured. Him not being willing to ignore those loud NE fans for a few years to let Belichick go out on his own terms is embarrassing, I agree.

I love traveling to Boston.  And i do my share of traveling.  Logan Airport is the only airport I can recall that displays all the championship banners of the city's sports teams.  It's about as in your face as it gets for sports teams.

Being a Yankee fans and going to Fenway multiple times, I felt the passion of that city's fan base.  :ols:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't feel sympathy toward BB at all. The same ruthless, calculated, and pragmatic measures New England has historically performed on players and player assessment would eventually pivot to underperforming coaches and personnel staff. It's the type of culture that they've promoted, with great success, and Belichick was a proponent of it so he needs to lie in the bed he helped to make.

Edited by BurgundyBooger