Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Seems Jeremy got the news early 

And we wonder why the defense is dead last. You need every edge in the league to win and if the players don’t like you or want to play for you, you’re done.  The fact Rivera doesn’t have the discernment to see his team not following his staff to the staff’s detriment is his greatest failure as a leader. Sad really… Loyal to a fault. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly. At this point it's just impatient and punitive. We've had almost a quarter of a century of that. It's time to find something different.

The punitive part is definitely true but I really can't stand this narrative. Dan stopped being impatient at just the wrong time in his tenure. I saw a post recently that had Mike McDaniel, LeFleur, McVay and Shanahan all on the Redskins staff.  The worst part is, we sort of knew what we had with Shanahan and McVay (the worst was McVay.) How long did Gruden get? He sucked and it was obvious pretty early. 

I don't agree with firing Rivera right now anymore, because what will you really replace him with---but this thing that Dan went through coaches just wasn't true. I wish it were because we could have just fired Gruden and hired McVay but I know that he likely would not have had same success here.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The only reason RR is still here is because Harris told him he'd have to season to be evaluated. He gets that. That's not a guess, that's been reported. It's a smart, patient move by Harris.

Yep it's a good move. A lot of fans want Rivera out right now but I understand waiting til the end of the season. Whoever we want to talk to for GM or HC, are probably already with other teams right now. Therefore we can't talk to them anyway, without tampering issues.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

And we wonder why the defense is dead last. 

If Jeremy Reaves feels that way I feel that way. He's an AllPro (St) and a pros pro journeyman at the same time. Not some hot headed diva. That's enough for me. Well that and the awful defense. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

The punitive part is definitely true but I really can't stand this narrative. Dan stopped being impatient at just the wrong time in his tenure. I saw a post recently that had Mike McDaniel, LeFleur, McVay and Shanahan all on the Redskins staff.  The worst part is, we sort of knew what we had with Shanahan and McVay (the worst was McVay.) How long did Gruden get? He sucked and it was obvious pretty early. 

I don't agree with firing Rivera right now anymore, because what will you really replace him with---but this thing that Dan went through coaches just wasn't true. I wish it were because we could have just fired Gruden and hired McVay but I know that he likely would not have had same success here.

I agree with you, but McVay has said that he wouldn’t have taken the job here if we’d have fired Gruden to make room for him. He still would have taken the Rams job (and he’d have been right to, given Snyder). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

I bet Harris has a wink/ nod agreement with Rivera to let him coach out the rest of the year to save some dignity, and if so Rivera will retire on his own and save harris a few mil in salary

I doubt it’s wink/knodd.  I think it’s probably been directly discussed, probably more than once and almost certainly was discussed yesterday/this morning.

Josh Harris is a PE straight shooter.  He wouldn’t have any problem saying “it’s your job until the end of the season, let’s work this together.  What do you want to do between now and then?” 

And with Ron taking over the defense, he can’t fire Ron anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

No shame for Mike Silver and Ron.

Ron had to put up with a bunch of BS that no coach should have to as a result of accepting a check and “total control” from Dan Snyder, and there is no doubt that dysfunction impacts one’s ability to be their best.  I have no doubt that it was a struggle from a financial and recruiting perspective with Dan in tow.

But, you can’t go blaming deep seated dysfunction on a dude who hasn’t been around at all for near the entirety of 2023.  Even then, he went out of his way, unprompted, to defend Dan in his final days.  

Have some accountability and dignity, my god.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No shame for Mike Silver and Ron.

Ron had to put up with a bunch of BS that no coach should have to as a result of accepting a check and “total control” from Dan Snyder, and there is no doubt that dysfunction impacts one’s ability to be their best.  I have no doubt that it was a struggle from a financial and recruiting perspective with Dan in tow.

But, you can’t go blaming deep seated dysfunction on a dude who hasn’t been around at all for near the entirety of 2023.  Even then, he went out of his way, unprompted, to defend Dan in his final days.  

Have some accountability and dignity, my god.

Don't expect accountability from a guy who has never been accountable himself.  Rivera will always pass the buck when possible to save his own skin.  Thank goodness we only have 5 more games of this crap left.

3 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

I believe it to an extent.  Ron caught the fever in that context of...

A.  Winning isn't the operative thing instead its about pushing a narrative that is driven by excuses and scapegoating.  Heck Ron flat out says he changed the culture and the way he answered a reporters question about that he came off that changing the culture isn't about winning.

So Ron's version of culture isn't that different from Bruce's winning off the field line.

B.  Ron and Dan apparently shared the deluson about Carson Wentz judging by reports.  Dan with the we finally found the QB line.  And Ron doubling down that he studied the analytics himself on Wentz and predicted a winning season last year.

C.  Ron and Dan come off like they are victims.  This very story is another version of Ron saying he's the victim.  Dan also was always the victim.

D.  The odd delusional and arrogant stuff which hasn't been earned -- send me my SB ring, etc.  Dan and Ron same drill.

Don't get me wrong though Dan is a total scum bag and Ron is a good person.  But I buy that Ron inherited some of the stink from this organization.  Like all our coaches under Dan they leave damaged.

Ron is using his buddy to blame this on Dan while is apt is also misplaced considering how Ron sucked up to Dan to well past the point where he had to.  Ron more or less saying that Dan was unfairly witch hunted for stuff from eons ago and he's a different dude now.  And then in another interview he said Dan has been great and gave him everything he wanted. 

Now, that the season has gone south Dan has been his issue.  I got no doubt that Dan impinged plenty on Ron's ability to succeed but Ron is the one dude who i don't give an out for on this considering how effusive he was in his praise for Dan.

Ron is very aware of the local and national media reports about him.  That's clear.  I suspect that what's bothering him is he's gone from thinking he's losing his job next year yet the fans will still applaud what he accomplished here -- to now coming off like a punchline with a damaged legacy.  And I bet it annoys the hell out of him and he's trying to rally back.  His friends in the national media will help him but the local media here hasn't played along.

I think he's earned that infamy with his delusional arrogant statements in the off season.  The out of touch statements praising Dan.  The out of touch approach to the off season of doing nothing to help this team take the next step and giving no juice-excitement to the fan base.  Coming off checked out and uninterested on the sideline and his coaching has been Zorn level dysfunctional.

For me, he comes off like a dude who just wanted to coast through this season and collect his 7.5 million and have his cake and eat it too -- not work that hard and have the fans also embrace his tenure.  I did to some extent embrace his tenure until this off season where IMO he's shown no professional pride.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe it to an extent.  Ron caught the fever in that context of...

A.  Winning isn't the operative thing instead its about pushing a narrative that is driven by excuses and scapegoating.  Heck Ron flat out says he changed the culture and the way he answered a reporters question about that he came off that changing the culture isn't about winning.

So Ron's version of culture isn't that different from Bruce's winning off the field line.

B.  Ron and Dan apparently shared the deluson about Carson Wentz judging by reports.  Dan with the we finally found the QB line.  And Ron doubling down that he studied the analytics himself on Wentz and predicted a winning season last year.

C.  Ron and Dan come off like they are victims.  This very story is another version of Ron saying he's the victim.  Dan also was always the victim.

D.  The odd delusional and arrogant stuff which hasn't been earned -- send me my SB ring, etc.  Dan and Ron same drill.

Don't get me wrong though Dan is a total scum bag and Ron is a good person.  But I buy that Ron inherited some of the stink from this organization.  Like all our coaches under Dan they leave damaged.

Ron is using his buddy to blame this on Dan while is apt is also misplaced considering how Ron sucked up to Dan to well past the point where he had to.  Ron more or less saying that Dan was unfairly witch hunted for stuff from eons ago and he's a different dude now.  And then in another interview he said Dan has been great and gave him everything he wanted. 

Now, that the season has gone south Dan has been his issue.  I got no doubt that Dan impinged plenty on Ron's ability to succeed but Ron is the one dude who i don't give an out for on this considering how effusive he was in his praise for Dan.

Ron is very aware of the local and national media reports about him.  That's clear.  I suspect that what's bothering him is he's gone from thinking he's losing his job next year yet the fans will still applaud what he accomplished here -- to now coming off like a punchline with a damaged legacy.  And I bet it annoys the hell out of him

I buy what Silver is saying (he worked for the organization a little while).  This season has felt like a Snyder hangover, it’s felt like one of his bad seasons.  (Sidenote: imagine how awful this year would be if he hadn’t sold … FedEx would be worse than a ghost town). 

Organizational culture is a funny thing. Seems like the org still has too much of Dan in it. Harris and Co. probably need to basically get rid of everyone at this point (Rivera, Wright, Mayhew, etc), and reboot to the studs, regardless of how competent everyone is. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah, that is probably way outta context.

Mini bye is a term commonly used for a team that is playing on a Thurs (or in this case Fri) and then return to normal scheduling as you get extra time off. 

We are on a Mini-bye before we play Mia.

and even if it was stated as it came across it isn't like it would be a lie, I mean the Commanders are easily the worst team in the NFL w/no direction in sight except for Jan 8th

Edited by Command The 414

2 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

I buy what Silver is saying (he worked for the organization a little while).  This season has felt like a Snyder hangover, it’s felt like one of his bad seasons.  (Sidenote: imagine how awful this year would be if he hadn’t sold … FedEx would be worse than a ghost town). 

Organizational culture is a funny thing. Seems like the org still has too much of Dan in it. Harris and Co. probably need to basically get rid of everyone at this point (Rivera, Wright, Mayhew, etc), and reboot to the studs, regardless of how competent everyone is. 

Agree.  But Ron praising Dan this off season for giving everything he needed to be successful and that Dan was being unfairly maligned by people for things that happened eons ago and that he's a good dude now -- while now leaking that Dan was the issue all along comes off hypocritcal from him.

If Ron shut his mouth about Dan this off season, he'd get a pass from me.  But heck Ron takes pride for being honest so I take him at his word when he explains to Sheehan for example they weren't high on Herbert or Tua so hence neither were on the table for them in that draft or when he pumps up the idea that Dan is unfairly characterized and Dan's a good man who gave him everything he wanted.

Ron is desperate to salvage his legacy.  it clearly doesn't escape him that his legacy isn't hot here.  He's shifted from hey be patient with our young QB with our elite defense, send me my SB ring when it all comes together.  That narrative didn't hold.    Then it became a general take on hey we got a young and growing roster bear with him.  Then it was hey i changed the culture and found the QB, case closed.  Now, he's going to well that its Dan Snyder's fault.

Look I gave him the Dan Snyder excuse for the first three years.  It doesn't hold for me this year.  And heck I'd give it to him this year too if he kept his mouth shut about Dan.   Just like I'd have given him an out on not taking Herbert-Tua.  But when he explains himself, I take him at his word.  I don't think he keeps track of what he says -- its constant spin and the goal posts keep changing.  It doesn't work on fans like us because we pay enough attention to everything where we indeed remember it all.   So when he zigs and then zags, it doesn't work on most of us.  I gather that's frustrating for him because it doesn't work on the local media.   The national media mostly buys it, not everyone, but enough do.   But locally his legacy is damaged IMO and he made that bed. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

If Harris does not fire Rivera at the end of the season then Harris is worse than Synder in my opinion

Oh is he sexually harassing people while he does it?

Please. Rivera will 100% be gone so it doesn’t matter, but the commentary on what that would make Harris is ****ing stupid. No, he wouldn’t be worse than Snyder if he made one stupid head coaching decision. Of which Snyder made many, on top of all the other actually evil **** he was doing. Grow up. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Ron is gone, and that shouldn’t even be a concern to anyone. What is concerning - at least to me - and borderline distressing is the amount of work that is ahead of us. This isn’t going to be a quick turnaround. The dysfunction isn’t sourced to coaching but the culture, which means the poison afflicting the team is coming from every contaminated remnant of Snyder’s ownership — from the front office to personnel and coaching, all the way down to the administrative staff. A complete overhaul of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with all the little, moving parts could take years. That is why I’m lukewarm on the idea of Belichick coming here. Like most skeptics, I believe his best years as a head coach and GM are behind him, but I absolutely believe he can ruthlessly establish a solid foundation, much in the same way Parcells did with the Jets, Patriots, and Dallas. He’d immediately fill the lockeroom with the necessary vets he’s previously coached and have the credentials to deal with the alumni hires presently occupying personnel jobs off their work from 35-40 years ago. Even if we don’t make it to the title game with BB, he’d at least create a structurally sound organization for the future guy to take us back to the promise land.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gross, no. Not going to want to tolerate another “reset” regime who is just fertilizing the ground for the next guy to actually win with. We don’t need that. Just commit to a path with progressive adaptable people in the FO and on the coaching staff, and start building. We don’t need another stop-gap “steadying presence” type to ready the franchise for future success. **** that. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Florio says when you make someone an interim HC the coach may get a bump.   because players play up to try and change it.... but yeah.

I see little reason to Promote Eric to Interim, I don't see what that gets us except less focus on Sams' development which is what matters, IMO.

• Thumb up 1

This franchise doesn't have ego driven owner who looked to the past for a quick fix anymore.  Harris is progressive and will find the right guy to turn this things around.  It will probably be a process just like his other sports franchises, but it has shown results in the long term.  This is what we have to look forward to going into the future

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Thumb up 1

It will be interesting to see who Harris goes with.  He was a minority owner in Pittsburgh with the Steelers.  Does he go with Pittsburgh's now Asst. GM, Andy Weidl who studied and admires former Steeler's GM Kevin Colbert who is friends with Harris?  

• Thumb up 2