Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd have to agree with not wanting EB.  I thought he would make a big difference but we can see why he was let go of by KC.  Maybe Jeff Z would take over as the interim if RR is let go of after Thursday's game.  All of us have to watch how this plays out.  We don't know enough about Harris yet. 

Yeah I just talked a little about EB on the QB thread after listening to Logan's podcast. 

• Like 1

For those of us who think that firing Ron or JDR midseason is a bad look for the organization to outside would-be candidates, do you think a blowout defeat to Dallas on Thanksgiving provides Harris with enough justification to fire the coaching staff without negatively impacting the organization in the eyes of future replacements?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

For those of us who think that firing Ron or JDR midseason is a bad look for the organization to outside would-be candidates, do you think a blowout defeat to Dallas on Thanksgiving provides Harris with enough justification to fire the coaching staff without negatively impacting the organization in the eyes of future replacements?

Yes. If a candidate thinks otherwise, he is an idiot

1 hour ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I think it would if the perception was that Ron staying was likely to get a star player injured or if it would hinder evaluation of the younger players.

If it looks vindictive or done on a whim, then it's a problem.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron should have fired Jack WEEKS ago and maybe a stuffed Toucan could have called a better defense.  But at 4-7, it's too late to worry about firing a guy to try and make this year better.  

I've got some bad news...I spoke to all my stuffed Toucan friends and not a single one of them wants to coach here.

• Haha 3

Just now, Commander202 said:

I want Slowik or Ben Johnson, I also like Eric B but he be option C for me. Sadly like I said the other day I do think the next coach is BB once he gets fired .He’s basically the nfl version of doc rivers for Harris and he brings a lot of credibility .

I saw you earlier mention all the noise about BB so I feel compelled to tell you, there are no substantiated rumors or reports about Belichick at all. And the one person in a position to have a scoop (the source connected to Rales who texts in to the Junkies or whatever) says there’s no truth to it. Everywhere else he’s been, Harris has prioritized starting with a the best GM he thinks he can get. No reason to think he’d do differently here.

And he’d lose credibility hiring Belichick in the year 2024, not gain it. 

If you’re doing all this to talk yourself into it because you’ve seen the rumors or whatever and think it’s inevitable, I just wanted to let you know that you don’t have to do that, it doesn’t seem to be a real report at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Ben Johnson’s name is always mentioned, and rightfully so. He’s my number one. I like what I’ve read about Slowick too. But what about Shane Waldron from Seattle? He’s been their coordinator for the past two years and resurrected Geno Smith. He comes from the McVay tree.

He would be someone I’d have on the interview list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Yes.

If Josh decides to fire on Friday or after the Miami game; Ron will have earned it. Miami might score 70 again.

It will not hurt.  We will have a Top 10 pick. Maybe a top 5 pick. We have a qb that a new coach could build around or if the new guy wants his own guy; can trade for picks. 5 picks in first 3 rounds.

We have a new owner that will do whatever is needed to turn franchise around.

After San Diego, this should be a top destination. Only Chicago might be competition because of those very high 1st round picks .

Ill be the salmon that says the next coach seeing Harris ignoring this seasons disastrous coaching may make any viable candidate NOT want to be here. Wondering exactly what else he is not going to address when I AM coach. Sure some may argue "yeah I'll get a long leash he doesnt fire anyone!!!!1!" but it kinda reeks of incompetence.  Does a coach want an incompetent owner whose stadium doesn't have hot water, and whose players have become completely demoralized or had their development stunted or ruined?  The players are silently saying SAVE US (like us fans said loudly for a decade) or some may even be quiet quitting to get Jack **** canned. Who knows.  All are looking to Harris and... he's only watching.

I can see prospective coaches watching it all from afar wondering, is DC for me?  We still have that whole stadium overrun thing to iron out.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Ill be the salmon that says the next coach seeing Harris ignoring this seasons disastrous coaching may make any viable candidate NOT want to be here. Wondering exactly what else he is not going to address when I AM coach. Sure some may argue "yeah I'll get a long leash he doesnt fire anyone!!!!1!" but it kinda reeks of incompetence.  Does a coach want an incompetent owner whose stadium doesn't have hot water, and whose players have become completely demoralized or had their development stunted or ruined?  The players are silently saying SAVE US (like us fans said loudly for a decade) or some may even be quiet quitting to get Jack **** canned. Who knows.  All are looking to Harris and... he's only watching.

I can see prospective coaches watching it all from afar wondering, is DC for me?  We still have that whole stadium overrun thing to iron out.

I'll give you credit, you definitely have the most unique opinion. Until now, I have never come across someone fretting for the coaches who worry "what if the owner doesn't micro-manage me enough?"

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Harris should be having contractors working on the stadium the day after the Dallas game.  It needs be renovated before season starts and fix the problems.

Canning a coach now won’t change the trajectory but some coach (Jack) needs to be fired Friday; if Ron is still coaching.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Canning a coach now won’t change the trajectory but some coach (Jack) needs to be fired Friday; if Ron is still coaching.

Steelers fired their OC, first time they've fired any coach of any kind, midseason, since 1941. Yet JDR continues to roam the sidelines and call the shots in Washington. This is organizational malpractice. I agree with Randy Holt, the players need JDR to be gone. St. Juste basically stated this in his post game comments about zone coverage schemes and how hard they are to pick up. 

Just end it Josh.....RR will be fine. In fact, he may be shocked he's still the HC given his horrible losses this season.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Yeah, sorry—you’re just projecting. Seems like you’re spiraling about this and it’s affecting your view on Harris before he’s even done anything. Mistake imo, but we all cope differently. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

To each their own.  But considering Harris actually owns OTHER sports teams and has a long record with both -- its actually part of the reason why some of us were jazzed and still are to see him here.  This isn't his first rodeo.  So this isn't a learning curve about him.   By reputation, he gives the FO-coaches everything they want.  The best equipment, best facilities, etc.  And is willing to spend top dollar on scouts, coaches.   He goes the extra mile. 

As many national observors have spoken about, among others Will Brinson said this the other day on 106.7, asking around this is a really good spot for prospective HCs right now and GMs.   Harris has the reputation of being a good dude to work for, he doesn't interfere, and gives whatever resources needed to win.  And we got draft picks.  And as many have said the higher the draft picks the more sexy the job is.

I don't want another owner who is about winning battles to lose the war.  That was Dan.  Harris by reputation is about the long game.   They gain nothing by firing someone now outside of feeding the emotion of some fans.    But even that, not all fans feel the same.    I personally don't want to see a spin off of Ron's coaching tree finshing the season and handing them a chance to be the guy next year.    I don't think this roster is as bad as their winning record.  So a coach who isn't checked out IMO can likely pull another 1 or 2 more than Ron.  And I'd rather not have that happen for multiple reasons. 

At this point, I want a top 5 pick.  It would make up for the crap season to have a top 5 pick and potentially two top picks in the top 5.  Heck the Eagles clearly lost on purpose a few years ago to this team because they wanted the higher pick.  Roseman thinks the long game.  This team when run by a high strung emotional owner couldn't deal emotionally with losing a battle to win the war.  Harris can do it.  And I like it.

John Keim flat out said in a podcast he talked to agents of prospective coaches who told hm firing coaches early this season would be a red flag to their clients.   Keim doesn't BS.  It's close to 100% accurate about everything.  Cooley liked to joke that Keim is never wrong because he won't say anything until 7 different sources verfiy the same thing.

And heck even if my thoughts were about punishing Ron and company.  I think lettting them string out a 5-12 season in front of booing fans is much more torture for them than putting them out of their misery.   But for those who want Ron fired.  Sounds like the best shot at it is if they get blown out on national TV tomorrow.  From what I gathered there is a limit to how miserable Ron can make the season. 

I don't see Del Rio being fired but I don't know.  The problem is as many beat guys have pointed out, Ron has amassed a lackluster group of assistant coaches so who would take over?  And Ron at this point doesn't seem to want to work too hard -- otherwise he'd take over the job himself.  But if anything, I keep hearing Ron delegates HC duties to Jack and Bieineimy let alone have interest in putting more duties on his own plate.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I am just playing devils advocate. You know why? Taking 10 million to stand on a pile of **** will have candidates lining up with shovels.

We are a ****show until we aren't and other orgs simply provide a more attractive, lets call it stable or proven environment. Sure there is the promise of a light at the end the tunnel with new ownership but we are a damaged scarred organization with baggage and candidates know it. I have said it many times over the years but its awkward AF for our new players and coaches to see our stadium overrun, or empty. Hell its awkward AF just watching Rivera and JDR still on the sidelines every damn week. And its getting more awkward with every loss. When will the **** covered shoe drop?

Random thought on why a new coach may be thinking twice... what if he doesn't like our beloved king Sam Howell. Wants the 6'4 pure pocket type with less sack / turnovers, or wants an elite runner type. Not a deal breaker but more to my point if Howell was completely dominating this year, consensus that he IS the real deal, that makes the job more attractive. Draft an LT and lets roll.

Edited by RandyHolt

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't want another owner who is about winning battles to lose the war.  That was Dan.  Harris by reputation is about the long game.   They gain nothing by firing someone now outside of feeding the emotion of some fans.    But even that, not all fans feel the same.    I personally don't want to see a spin off of Ron's coaching tree finshing the season and handing them a chance to be the guy next year.    I don't think this roster is as bad as their winning record.  So a coach who isn't checked out IMO can likely pull another 1 or 2 more than Ron.  And I'd rather not have that happen for multiple reasons. 

I think this is key. I dont want to see the waters "muddied" by bringing in someone else just as a stop gap. Just leave Ron in there, if we get curb stomped by the Cowboys fire Del Rio if you feel a need to "do something" but it will be a meaningless gesture anyway. Let the season play out (best chance at a top 5 pick and lets not forget that also moves the needle on the other rounds) and drop the hammer the day after the last game.

Having said that I don't feel that if Harris were to fire Ron it would be perceived as a negative toward Harris. Harris did not hire him, the league knows how bad the coaching is here already, its an embarrassment. Again not advocating it but I don't think it will deter potential HC candidates next year. I think this will be the marquee GM and HC position going into the offseason, even more than the Chargers.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am just playing devils advocate. You know why? Taking 10 million to stand on a pile of **** will have candidates lining up with shovels.

We are a ****show until we aren't and other orgs simply provide a more attractive, lets call it stable or proven environment. Sure there is the promise of a light at the end the tunnel with new ownership but we are a damaged scarred organization with baggage and candidates know it. I have said it many times over the years but its awkward AF for our new players and coaches to see our stadium overrun, or empty. Hell its awkward AF just watching Rivera and JDR still on the sidelines every damn week. And its getting more awkward with every loss. When will the **** covered shoe drop?

Random thought on why a new coach may be thinking twice... what if he doesn't like our beloved king Sam Howell. Wants the 6'4 pure pocket type with less sack / turnovers, or wants an elite runner type. Not a deal breaker but more to my point if Howell was completely dominating this year, consensus that he IS the real deal, that makes the job more attractive. Draft an LT and lets roll.

I think its only awkward because we are losers on the field. If they would win and not get embarrassed each week the fans would show and opposing fans would not be so prominent. The coaches and players brought "awkward" on themselves.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We are a ****show until we aren't and other orgs simply provide a more attractive, lets call it stable or proven environment. Sure there is the promise of a light at the end the tunnel with new ownership but we are a damaged scarred organization with baggage and candidates know it. I have said it many times over the years but its awkward AF for our new players and coaches to see our stadium overrun, or empty. Hell its awkward AF just watching Rivera and JDR still on the sidelines every damn week.

Agree there is a stench on this organization.  I don't get the vibe even a little that its lost on the league that Harris is a night and day change from Dan. 

As Brinson pointed out yestrday, this organization's past failures will likely seen as a plus for someone new.  Fans embracing change and the bar is low to succeed -- all making this spot more attractive to some. 

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Random thought on why a new coach may be thinking twice... what if he doesn't like our beloved king Sam Howell. Wants the 6'4 pure pocket type with less sack / turnovers, or wants an elite runner type. Not a deal breaker but more to my point if Howell was completely dominating this year, consensus that he is is the real deal, that makes the job more attractive. Draft an LT and lets roll.

The rest of the season I think will tell the tale on Howell.  He's facing some tough defenses coming up, too.    I learn positive on him.   But will see.

However, if they aren't enamored with Howell, its another reason why it would be great to have a top 5 pick.  This draft isn't Caleb and Drake or bust.  In theory its a similar draft to 2012 where its deep -- Daniels, Mccarthy, Penix.   to that tweet below I doubt Daniels is falling to round 2 anymore a few weeks ago maybe but not now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Having said that I don't feel that if Harris were to fire Ron it would be perceived as a negative toward Harris. Harris did not hire him, the league knows how bad the coaching is here already, its an embarrassment. Again not advocating it but I don't think it will deter potential HC candidates next year. I think this will be the marquee GM and HC position going into the offseason, even more than the Chargers.

I work in a position where people can sometimes get fired in the middle of completing a job in a campaign.  If a candidate fires someone else in the middle of their job -- it only puts a red flag for me that i coud be next if things don't start on the right track.  There is zero I like about working for a client who I just saw fire someone else who did my job but was let go in midstream.   If they let the previous person finish their job to the end its only a plus for me.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

However, if they aren't enamored with Howell, its another reason why it would be great to have a top 5 pick.  This draft isn't Caleb and Drake or bust.  In theory its a similar draft to 2012 where its deep -- Daniels, Mccarthy, Penix. 

This is where I am at if they go QB, Daniels and Penix in particular although I admittedly have not studied any of the players yet. It makes sense with where we are with Howell to bring in competition. 

I can see some thinking hey, we can grab Nabers and Daniels. I am not a fan because we need at least one OT early.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I work in a position where people can sometimes get fired in the middle of completing a job in a campaign.  If a candidate fires someone else in the middle of their job -- it only puts a red flag for me that i coud be next if things don't start on the right track.  There is zero I like about working for a client who I just saw fire someone else who did my job but was let go in midstream.   If they let the previous person finish their job to the end its only a plus for me.

I understand and agree that in the context of an organization that is already established, I just don't think with a new owner it would be perceived that way, especially with the embarrassment that this sideline has become. Ron doesn't even seem engaged in the day to day anymore. Again Im not advocating for it but I could see where many would not view it in these circumstances as a particularly bad move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This is where I am at if they go QB, Daniels and Penix in particular although I admittedly have not studied any of the players yet. It makes sense with where we are with Howell to bring in competition. 

I can see some thinking hey, we can grab Nabers and Daniels. I am not a fan because we need at least one OT early.

I'v watched plenty in real time.  But I got to study them.    At a minimum if they keep rising, the idea that Harrison might fall to 4 or 5 isn't as ridiculous as I once thought.  It's part of the reason why a top 5 pick i think would be tremendous in this draft.  

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I understand and agree that in the context of an organization that is already established, I just don't think with a new owner it would be perceived that way, especially with the embarrassment that this sideline has become. Ron doesn't even seem engaged in the day to day anymore. Again Im not advocating for it but I could see where many would not view it in these circumstances as a particularly bad move.

I agree that Harris would be given a pass.  But I see zero upside to do this in the contect of winning over a future coach.

• Like 2