Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

My initial bias was that firing Ron at this time was pretty pointless and just looks bad.

Β 

But the more I think about it and considering he's also essentially GM, I think firing him makes more sense.Β  There are actually decisions that can be made that can impact the team over the next 3 or 4 years.Β  Are there people you might want to extend or resign now?Β  Are there people you want to trade?Β  I don't know the NFL rules in terms of in season contracts, but would somebody like Chase Young be more willing to sign a reasonable contract now (giving him more protection from an injury) vs. after he's played out the year.

Β 

I'm not sure if Ron would be willing to resign/be fired from his front office job that essentially gives him control of the roster w/o being fired as head coach.Β  But if possible, I think I'd look to hire somebody that will actually be running the team sooner rather than later.Β  And if Ron can't/won't work the person that is hired to actually run the team as the coach, then Ron the coach has to be fired.

Β 

(I'm to the point I don't care what they do on the field, there's no way I'm leaving Ron as the person in control of the whole organization.)

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

My initial bias was that firing Ron at this time was pretty pointless and just looks bad.

Β 

But the more I think about it and considering he's also essentially GM, I think firing him makes more sense.Β  There are actually decisions that can be made that can impact the team over the next 3 or 4 years.Β  Are there people you might want to extend or resign now?Β  Are there people you want to trade?Β  I don't know the NFL rules in terms of in season contracts, but would somebody like Chase Young be more willing to sign a reasonable contract now (giving him more protection from an injury) vs. after he's played out the year.

Β 

I'm not sure if Ron would be willing to resign/be fired from his front office job that essentially gives him control of the roster w/o being fired as head coach.Β  But if possible, I think I'd look to hire somebody that will actually be running the team sooner rather than later.Β  And if Ron can't/won't work the person that is hired to actually run the team as the coach, then Ron the coach has to be fired.

Β 

(I'm to the point I don't care what they do on the field, there's no way I'm leaving Ron as the person in control of the whole organization.)

Yeah that’s the biggest thing. There’s current players that may or not be here next year. There are current players that won’t be here that currently have value in trades. Couple that with draft position and I see no reason for Ron to float in the wind other than optics to let him retire with honor. This is a cutthroat league and the Harris group owes him nothing. The longer he stays the more he sets the team back.Β 
Β 

Fire him as soon as possible.Β 

my god…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Rivera sold previous ownership some old BS, but this ownership isn’t going to have any of thatΒ 

Agreed.

Β 

If they do fall for it, then I think we can all agree we'd have much, much bigger problems than just Ron. Β Β 

Β 

This ownership group seems like they are much smarter than this. Β 

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

Yeah that’s the biggest thing. There’s current players that may or not be here next year. There are current players that won’t be here that currently have value in trades. Couple that with draft position and I see no reason for Ron to float in the wind other than optics to let him retire with honor. This is a cutthroat league and the Harris group owes him nothing. The longer he stays the more he sets the team back.Β 
Β 

Fire him as soon as possible.Β 

my god…

"Looking at the draft class...there's a reason why we drafted some of those guys."

Β 

WHAT????

Β 

So he's telling us there's no real reason they drafted some of the other guys. Β And after totally avoiding the question. Β Ron may be a good dude but in the NFL world he's just totally lost it. Β We're wasting our time with him as our Head of Personnel and our Head Coach. Β At this point listening to Ron's nonsensical speak in just about every presser is not only infuriating but it's very sad. Β 

Β 

If there was ever a clear cut case of the game passing a coach by, well...Ron's the poster child for it. Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Redwards
  • Haha 2

Imagine how much better we’d be with a competent FO drafting and laying the road ahead. Β 1st and 2d round picks should be contributing to your teams building and success. Β You don’t draft projects in 1-2 rounds. Β Therein lies the evidence of a team that just doesn’t have high end talent to compete with juggernaut teams. Β It’s almost like RR truly believes he’s the smartest in the room. Β I’m all for him drafting character players, but we’re talent depleted and no one to blame but our attrosive 19th century roster creation and implementationΒ 

• Thumb up 2

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ron has full blown Snyderitis, and the new emerging treatment of Harris can’t cure it.

Β 

He sounds worse every time he opens his mouth, just an absolute shell of his former self. Β Every single coach not named Joe Gibbs suffered the same fate, almost like Gibbs took the Snyder vax before he came back.

Β 

Gibbs sounded out of touch with reality at times towards the endΒ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

That might be one of the dumbest lists I've ever seen.

I mean it was put together to get reactions obviously but at the same timeβ€”seems pretty damn accurate to me. What exactly do you disagree with to the extreme point that it’s β€œone of the dumbest lists” you’ve ever seen? Obviously you could quibble but it’s way closer to reality than not imo. Way too reasonable to be hit with the description you gave it.Β 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ron has full blown Snyderitis, and the new emerging treatment of Harris can’t cure it.

Β 

He sounds worse every time he opens his mouth, just an absolute shell of his former self. Β Every single coach not named Joe Gibbs suffered the same fate, almost like Gibbs took the Snyder vax before he came back.

Β 

I don’t mean to be crass here but he has looked less healthy every year he’s been hereβ€”and a lot of that may be the toll the cancer (and cancer treatments) took on him. But even the way his eyes slightly bulge, it’s not normal. He is actually slowing down (in a normal early 60’s way where many lose their fastball but are totally functional, exacerbated by his health issues and the stressors of his job and life, imo).Β 
Β 

And not to get too personal but the dude played LB in the NFL. For quite a while. Back when no one cared about player safety or concussions. CTE, hello? He’s a prime candidate and there’s really no evidence to suggest that a guy in his position would have been spared the brain degeneration it can cause to varying levels. The guy is not fully there and hasn’t been since he arrived. People won’t be comfortable with this but watch a press conference with him now compared to 10 years ago. He’s not the same man.Β 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t mean to be crass here but he has looked less healthy every year he’s been hereβ€”and a lot of that may be the toll the cancer (and cancer treatments) took on him. But even the way his eyes slightly bulge, it’s not normal. He is actually slowing down (in a normal early 60’s way where many lose their fastball but are totally functional, exacerbated by his health issues and the stressors of his job and life, imo).Β 
Β 

And not to get too personal but the dude played LB in the NFL. For quite a while. Back when no one cared about player safety or concussions. CTE, hello? He’s a prime candidate and there’s really no evidence to suggest that a guy in his position would have been spared the brain degeneration it can cause to varying levels. The guy is not fully there and hasn’t been since he arrived. People won’t be comfortable with this but watch a press conference with him now compared to 10 years ago. He’s not the same man.Β 

It’s obvious to me, just looking at clips from him when he first took the job to today. Β Something isn’t right.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Strong, prospective HC candidates are actively fielding commitments from potential staff. Same goes for potential GMs. The longer you wait and let the RR cesspool fester, the worse we're gonna be, come off-season, when we could be left with scraps. The ownership group fully understands this. Don't let good cop (media) / bad cop (hidden approach to deal with the cesspool) throw you off

Β 

@skinzplay What are you hearing about the prospective staff Ben Johnson may assemble? My worry when it comes to him is that he wouldn't seem to have a very good first degree network based on where he has spent his career (Miami in the down years, including time with Gase, and Detroit doesn't seem to have a lot of young high upside assistantsto bring with him...Engstrand, a Harbaugh disciple, gives off those vibes but it seems like the Lions are positioning him to take over as OC once BJ leaves Detroit)

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I mean it was put together to get reactions obviously but at the same timeβ€”seems pretty damn accurate to me. What exactly do you disagree with to the extreme point that it’s β€œone of the dumbest lists” you’ve ever seen? Obviously you could quibble but it’s way closer to reality than not imo. Way too reasonable to be hit with the description you gave it.Β 

Lions are legitimate. No idea why they're in that tier. What questions do they have? They'll win that division.

There really isn't much difference between us and the Packers.

Colts aren't going to be fun soon. Richardson is going to have a really short career. He's already been hurt a number of times.

Beyond the obvious teams, it's mostly arbitrary and stupid. Therefore a dumb list.

Β 

The Jets, though, are, in fact, cursed by God...and probably Satan too.

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Β 

Β I've had discussions with a couple of people about these very things. A friend of mine with experience called it "chemo-brain"

Β 

It would explain a lot of the odd comments.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But with who?Β  That's my question.Β  Replaced with who?Β  They've done a wonderful job building a defensive staff where literally not one other coach has called an NFL gameday defense.Β  Ever.

Β 

The only 2 people who have are Castillo and Ron Rivera.Β  Castillo is the run game coordinator.Β  So that seems unlikely.Β  Ron hasn't called defensive plays since he was the DC in Sand Diego in 2009.Β Β 

Β 

Do we need to go out and hire the Ron Rivera version of the bingo caller from 2009 to come in and call plays?Β  (Parenthetically, I STILL can't believe that happened.Β  Like, holy smokes, how did that happen?)

Β 

F it, make Ron fire JDR and then coach the defense himself.

Β 

He's having his mic pointing up in the air not talking to anyone the whole damn game, not even during halftime.

Β 

So its not like making him call the defense would be taking away from him doing other things.

Β 

I believe the Bears HC we just went up against is doing something similar right now (his DC resigned though versus being fired).

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, Conn said:

Β 

Β 

This has to be said, so I'm glad you it.

16 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Can we at least start interviewing new GMs? Why wait until it's too late to get a good one. We need to get the ball rolling so we can fire the Marty's ASAP and start planning for the future.Β 

Can we kick those guys out the rolling car so we can pick up someone worth the gas money?

Ron and JDR and lame ducks, fine.Β 

That’s the problem because the head coach and de facto Gm are held by the same person. Yes, Ron doesn’t technically have the Gm title but he’s the one with complete control over the organization. So, you can’t be looking for a Gm until you fire Ron.

Β 

The ideal time to fire Ron, give EB his audition and to get a jump on the 24 Gm/coaching hiring season is the Dec. 10 bye week. Our bye is after the Dolphins game and we gave 4 games after that.Β 

GM Ron won’t make the moves to get rid of players for future assets, ie like trading Young.

Β 

As for the players future, that’s up to the new Gm and new coach. Β There’s not a single player who’s guaranteed a spot on the roster in the new regime. The new coach will see which players match his scheme and which ones don’t. I fully expect that 2-3 years most of the roster will have turned over; as happens with every coaching change.

10 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

GM Ron won’t make the moves to get rid of players for future assets, ie like trading Young.

Β 

I don't think it's a matter of won't, but can't. Ron is on watch. Contract or no contract, the new ownership won't allow a potential lame-duck coach to trade or dump assets that could possibly hold value for the next GM/coach, unless they approve it.

Edited by BurgundyBooger