Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.πŸ˜€πŸ˜„

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

We need Danny boy to do a rebuild, not a remodel. Β We do this every few years. Β We try to slap new paint and new carpet and think we did a rebuildΒ 

Agree.

Β 

However, even if he was totally onboard with doing a rebuild, do youΒ reallyΒ want Dan in charge of it? Β  I mean...there's zero evidence to indicate (even if willing (yeah, right)) that he could even begin to identify and hire the correct people who could pull off resurrecting this franchise. Β Einstein could be sitting right there and he'd pick Larry, Curly and Moe, and boast how he was so smart to hire three minds instead of one. Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

We need Danny boy to do a rebuild, not a remodel. Β We do this every few years. Β We try to slap new paint and new carpet and think we did a rebuildΒ 

"It means you're close." That's the BS they keep feeding us every year, and the sad thing is they are so dumb they believe it themselves.

Β 

No moves in FA this year since they thought all they needed was a QB and then it's back to the Superb Owl. Good teams are always adding depth and not deluding themselves into believing they're one player away, because what if there's injuries or guys just don't play up to snuff?Β 

Β 

That this team still doesn't get that after 23 years of Snyder's Folly says a lot about who is really running the team.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

"It means you're close." That's the BS they keep feeding us every year, and the sad thing is they are so dumb they believe it themselves.

Β 

No moves in FA this year since they thought all they needed was a QB and then it's back to the Superb Owl. Good teams are always adding depth and not deluding themselves into believing they're one player away, because what if there's injuries or guys just don't play up to snuff?Β 

Β 

That this team still doesn't get that after 23 years of Snyder's Folly says a lot about who is really running the team.

Β 

They may be getting close to the Super Bowel, where all of the worst teams get to. If the past three weeks are any indication (and yes, I include Detroit based on the first half there and then making similar mistakes in two more games), then I think this team has a very good chance of being the worst we've seen.

Β 

I do think that someone will force Turner to run the ball more at some point in the season, and then we'll win some games. I believe that will happen. I don't believe any sane person should accept that as proof that this HC or his creation (GMs, coaching staff) deserve any more time here. Just my opinion, but there was too much obvious stupidity:

- Wentz's deal cost way too much; no one was competing for his services, so we definitely overpaid. Colts basically gloated about it later.

- Wentz's deal led to a LOT of attrition that was basically admitted.

Β  - Ioannidis (his agent said something about Wentz contract being why the FO changed their minds on keeping him)

Β  - Settle (just a guess that it was related, but regardless I think this was idiotic)

Β  - DeAndre Carter (again, idiotic planning)

- Jamin Davis as a first round pick; this was widely thought to be a reach. It looks like this was a reach. When you make moves as if you are the smartest guys in the room, and you end up being very wrong, that's a bad look. Some analysts are saying that Davis is being asked to do too much (in terms of complexity) by Del Rio. In both cases, in my mind, it is a reflection of Rivera in some way because Rivera has his fingerprints on the FO and coaching staff to such a large degree.

- There is more, a lot more, but anyway I think it's enoughΒ 

Edited by SkinsNumberOne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SkinsNumberOne said:

Β 

They may be getting close to the Super Bowel, where all of the worst teams get to. If the past three weeks are any indication (and yes, I include Detroit based on the first half there and then making similar mistakes in two more games), then I think this team has a very good chance of being the worst we've seen.

Β 

I do think that someone will force Turner to run the ball more at some point in the season, and then we'll win some games. I believe that will happen. I don't believe any sane person should accept that as proof that this HC or his creation (GMs, coaching staff) deserve any more time here. Just my opinion, but there was too much obvious stupidity:

- Wentz's deal cost way too much; no one was competing for his services, so we definitely overpaid. Colts basically gloated about it later.

- Wentz's deal led to a LOT of attrition that was basically admitted.

Β  - Ioannidis (his agent said something about Wentz contract being why the FO changed their minds on keeping him)

Β  - Settle (just a guess that it was related, but regardless I think this was idiotic)

Β  - DeAndre Carter (again, idiotic planning)

- Jamin Davis as a first round pick; this was widely thought to be a reach. It looks like this was a reach. When you make moves as if you are the smartest guys in the room, and you end up being very wrong, that's a bad look. Some analysts are saying that Davis is being asked to do too much (in terms of complexity) by Del Rio. In both cases, in my mind, it is a reflection of Rivera in some way because Rivera has his fingerprints on the FO and coaching staff to such a large degree.

- There is more, a lot more, but anyway I think it's enoughΒ 

Β 

What is such a shock is that the FA crop in Rivera's first year is a top 3 FA class in the Dan Snyder era. They were amazing that offseason at picking up unheralded talents on the cheap in Thomas, Fuller, McKissic, Darby, Lucas, Schweitzer and a number of others. The "worst" of that crop may have been KPL who had a decent season, all things considered. However, that was when Kyle Smith was running personnel. Ron has gone out of his way to give his coaches credit for many of these signings but I don't buy it - if that were true, why didn't they deliver any of these same types of wins with finding hidden gems the past couple years (only exception maybe being Carter)?

Β 

Ever since these two washed up boomers came in in the two Martys, the FO has gone to ****. Fitz and WJIII were huge busts as signings. Very little depth in most units, especially on defense. Poor cap planning resulting in letting good homegrown players leave.Β 

Β 

One item you didn't mention that was an absolute embarrassment was not staying in touch with McKissic during FA and nearly letting him leave, which he would have done if he had not come back to the team to match the offer. How do you not check in with one of your key offensive weapons in free agency??? Because of this incident, the ties between WAS and BUF have broken down. Keim believes we were going to have joint practices with the Bills this offseason but that became a no go after the McKissic incident.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, method man said:

One item you didn't mention that was an absolute embarrassment was not staying in touch with McKissic during FA and nearly letting him leave, which he would have done if he had not come back to the team to match the offer. How do you not check in with one of your key offensive weapons in free agency??? Because of this incident, the ties between WAS and BUF have broken down. Keim believes we were going to have joint practices with the Bills this offseason but that became a no go after the McKissic incident.

Yes that is a big mention, I just got tired of listing, haha. I actually didn't know that last point from Keim, interesting. Yeah I did read how upset BUF was. That's pretty stupid; a LOT of good things happen when you maintain good relationships. This is the other huge indictment I see in Rivera. He was supposed to usher in "respectability" and a "culture change" but this offseason proved the opposite. They made huge missteps that proved "more of the same" and in some cases MUCH WORSE than with Kyle Smith running our FA/draft. We have 0 respect from the Colts and Buf. Colts because they 100% know they fleeced us, we had no competition and overpaid for Wentz REGARDLESS of his performance. You don't overpay for no reason! BUF was very annoyed by the McKissic situation. McKissic clearly wanted to stay in WAS.

Β 

The thing you are referencing as a "mistake" - do you know, they said that was their "POLICY???" So it wasn't really a "mistake" as much as the most moronic plan you could imagine. Much worse than a mistake. Either this was a VERY STUPID plan, OR (and I think this is true) they knew they'd have attrition from Wentz contract and some negative pub, so they decided to not contact anyone and let "nature take its course." Well, guess who you lose then? You lose your BEST VALUES, other teams swoop in and take YOUR BEST VALUES.

Β 

What an absolute shock that Settle, Carter, and McKissic disappeared so quickly, along with Ionnaidis who was particularly upset about treatment (culture change??). This lack of respect to players is the opposite of culture change and respectability. This is the kind of stuff where I saw with confidence, Snyder or not, this regime of Rivera and FO need to get the boot. Actually I really think Rivera has managed what I thought impossible. He took away a lot of places where we had some real potential growing. Amazing. Managed to make this team demonstrably worse.

• Like 1

Β I think the next game that the defense coughs up a 40-burger, the heat will REALLY go up on DelTaco.

Ron has a difficult decision at that point; fire his buddy and hire some other unimaginative statue who will not do any better,

or,

stick with his buddy and ultimately get canned himself along with DelTaco.Β 

This team's FO personnel list has been a 'Verizon Plan'; friends and family group over the last umpteen years. For once it would be refreshing to see nobody who is a relative working the FO. Thing is, these 'family members' develop a superiority complex over the others who are not related, and when push comes to shove, family bonds are strong, and will usually override any common sense idea.

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Well someone got fired today, just no Commies coaches.

Ive watched several of the Panther games as I drafted CMC in Fantasy. Β One thing has stood out - poor decision making by the coaches and under performing players. Β Something very familiar with that. Β Look at what the Giants are doing... They have quite a few injuries, they have no receiver anyone has ever heard of, they are being led by Danny freaking Jones. Β They have a great RB and thats it. Β A NEW coach comes in and has them at 1-4. Β This team has decent talent and are barely competitive. Β They get smoked by the 1-4 Lions. Β 

Β 

Ron is in his 3rd year. Β The team has gotten worse since he took over. Β He has helped the team's image/culture I suppose but the product and talent on the field is bad bad. Β Ron and all his pals need to go.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I hate the derisive nickname stuff, always have. Just personal preference but I think it makes the poster seem less rational and more biased even if the intent is just humor. β€œCandle”, β€œHaynesworthless”, β€œKurt”, β€œWince”, etc. Even the ones about our division rivals always seemed childish to me lol I had some unpopular posts in the ATN directed towards tr1 or whatever his name was about how silly I found all that lol. That’s just me though, I get that it’s just a message board/social media thing that exists.Β 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

Ron Rivera is stupid and stubborn.Β  Brutal combo for anyone let alone a head coach in the NFL.Β  It's been his calling card since he arrived.Β  Can he related to players and maybe even get them up from time to time?Β  Perhaps, but he's got zero ability to identify coaching talent and absolutely no clue how to manage in game situations.Β  He also never learned the adage: when you're in a hole, stop digging.Β Β 

Β 

His comments about the QB were so absurdly out of line and even if you give him a pass for blurting something out, he then doubled down and got called out for his ridiculous explanations.Β  He should have anticipated a question like this from the media and deflected it back among the coaches.Β  He should have taken some responsibility.Β  He should have done anything but what he did.Β  And he did it.Β  Absolute moron.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Ron Rivera is stupid and stubborn.Β  Brutal combo for anyone let alone a head coach in the NFL.Β  It's been his calling card since he arrived.Β  Can he related to players and maybe even get them up from time to time?Β  Perhaps, but he's got zero ability to identify coaching talent and absolutely no clue how to manage in game situations.Β  He also never learned the adage: when you're in a hole, stop digging.Β Β 

Β 

His comments about the QB were so absurdly out of line and even if you give him a pass for blurting something out, he then doubled down and got called out for his ridiculous explanations.Β  He should have anticipated a question like this from the media and deflected it back among the coaches.Β  He should have taken some responsibility.Β  He should have done anything but what he did.Β  And he did it.Β  Absolute moron.

RR is an absolute POS buffoon of a head coach. Β  He's full of ****. Β What's worse is he knows it and still expects his ridiculous and embarrassing answers to be accepted by the media.

He sits there all smug, like he's this great football mastermind and we the simpleton fans and media have no idea what's going on. Β 

Β 

I'm convinced, because of his smugness in the midst of the most ridiculous "explanation" for failure that I've EVER heard, that Ron has been absolutely guaranteed the full 5 years of his contract by Snyder. Β 

Β 

What Ron said today wasn't just pure buffoonery, but insulting. Β 

Β 

I've said it before and I'll say it one more time: how anyone, in the wake of what's happened on the field in Year 3 and what's been said in the last two weeks worth of press conferences, can legitimately claim they support Ron is just incomprehensible. Β He's an abject embarrassment. Β So...I guess he fits right in here in Snyder's disorganization.

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

This is what his response should have been to that question about the difference between this rebuild and others.Β  Well, we lost two starting offensive lineman one by our choice one by his choice.Β  The scrubs that we as the front office and coaching staff chose to replace those starters have turned out to be just that, scrubs. So that's on us, the front office and coaches.Β  We knew going into the offseason that we had problems at linebacker but through free agency and the draft, we chose to ignore it and go with what we had.Β  That decision has not worked out so that is on us, the front office and coaches.Β  We signed a free agent cornerback last year who soaks up the second most cap space on our team who was awful last year and no better this year.Β  So either we as a coaching staff and front office did not do a very good job of evaluating this individuals talent and how it could fit into our scheme or we have not done a very good job of developing a defensive scheme that highlights his talents because he has now been benched.Β  So that's on us as a front office and coaching staff.Β  Our offensive coordinator could not come up with an offensive game plan that could net us more than a 1 for 14 conversion rate on 3rd down yesterday.Β  That's on us as a coaching staff.Β  And yes, our quarterback could have played better, hell everyone could have played better in these games but it starts with the coaches and front office and to this point in our tenure here, we have not done a very good job.Β  That would have been a more appropriate and actually more accurate response to that question.

• Thumb up 1

Washington is not a place a lot of coaches want to go.Β  All the mistakes of this year ARE on the front office and the coaching staff, which is running the whole show.Β  But, since Washington is viewed as an awful place to coach, I feel you have no alternative.Β  You have to just stick Ron out longer.Β  It gives him a chance to learn from his mistakes, and it gives the feeling to other future coaches that Dan will stay hands off and let the coach run things.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, skinfan2k said:

Β 

All he's gonna do is defy good sense and go with some weird structure that isn't gonna work.Β  He seems allergic to a traditional front office model.Β  Even with Rivera, he let Rivera run with this coach-centric nonsense where he's hiring the people that should be his boss.Β 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Β 

All he's gonna do is defy good sense and go with some weird structure that isn't gonna work.Β  He seems allergic to a traditional front office model.Β  Even with Rivera, he let Rivera run with this coach-centric nonsense where he's hiring the people that should be his boss.Β 

I mean coach-centric is fine if you get the right coach and surround him with the right FO people. Andy Reid and Brett Veach are more so partners in Kansas City. Ditto Pete Carroll and John Schneider in Seattle. Sean Payton worked closely with Mickey Arison and Jeff Ireland in New Orleans.

Β 

The problem is Rivera is both a bad Xs and Os/tactical coach AND a bad evaluator of talent. On top of that, he brought in friends and yes men to serve as his FO people instead of qualified talent evaluators.

Β 

Its a recipe for disaster on all fronts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bringing in friends and yes men is the true definition of disaster.Β  You don't need people around you who always say everything is fine.Β  You need people who will argue with you

and help you think outside of the box and be willing to change some things.Β  Ron subscribes to the "My Way or the Highway" approach which worked in the 1990's. We need a younger head coach who can relate better to the younger players.Β  Cooke went out and hired Gibbs who was a young Chargers assistant many years ago.Β  Hiring a defensive minded coach

was not the way to go.Β  The Eagles got it right unfortunately.Β  Of course you also need talented players too.

Β 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean coach-centric is fine if you get the right coach and surround him with the right FO people. Andy Reid and Brett Veach are more so partners in Kansas City. Ditto Pete Carroll and John Schneider in Seattle. Sean Payton worked closely with Mickey Arison and Jeff Ireland in New Orleans.

Β 

The problem is Rivera is both a bad Xs and Os/tactical coach AND a bad evaluator of talent. On top of that, he brought in friends and yes men to serve as his FO people instead of qualified talent evaluators.

Β 

Its a recipe for disaster on all fronts.

What he considered the prototypes of "coach-centric" success in the NFL are clearly the ones you laid out, plus Belichick. Since BB is a unicorn, it's really the other 3. All of whom became probably the most powerful football person in their respective organizations, but that was after success that was achieved in concert with established, brilliant Front Offices, who continued to do their jobs well while those coaches allowed them to do their work independently.Β 

Β 

To look at these situations and say "Hey, what works in the NFL is a coach who is in charge of everything" is so simplistic and stupid, it doesn't seem like it comes from an owner who just doesn't know what to do, but one who seems determined not to make any effort to figure out what the right thing is.Β 

Β 

I mean, if someone on this board had suggested the argument that Carroll, Payton and Reid meant going with a "coach-centric" model based around giving a new coach hire all the power was the best plan, they would have been smacked down by our resident acerbic and sarcastic posters (you know who you are, jerks).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Β 

I dont think he understands it. I think he just thinks of his childhood with Gibbs being the main face of the organization. Which hes not wrong about with the HC being the face. That doesnt mean most HCs are the decision maker though. Thats what gets lost on Dan.Β