Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Jaguars vs. The Command

KDawg

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We're criticizing the pass rush and it feels like to us they needed to blitz to get any pressure. Which makes it sound like the Jags OL was good. But just checked on some Jags fans and they unanimously think their OL got worked over.

Maybe our DL (minus run D) played better than we thought.

We had two sacks.  Two pressures that ended up in an intentional grounding call.  A third sack that got bailed out by a PI.  And the final pressure which forced an INT. They played well.

• Like 1

1.  Carson showed what he can do, good and bad.  The best arm we have had in a decade or so.

2.  Based on our skill set, Carson needs to throw the ball 40 times a game and take advantage of our strong WR group.  
3.  Defensive schemes still seem lacking.  Can’t continuously have your LBs trying to cover WRs.  Single coverage with no safety help might not be the best plan with our DBs.

4.  Effort looked good, guys looked like they were playing pretty loose.

5.  If Robinson was here, I think we would have been able to run the ball between the tackles against Jax.

6.  If we can avoid turnovers and penalties we can win 10 games, if not 6.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rewatching the game and I didn't realize that it wasn't just Wes that went out. Norwell did as well and Charles came in.

That would explain why our O sputtered a bit. Losing both starting guards at the same time.

Apparently Norwell was subbed out according to a plan.  In RR’s presser he said they wanted to do that because Norwell had missed some time in TC and wasn’t quite in football shape.  Don’t really know how Charles played (he hasn’t been great to this point), but I think it’s a good sign that they were willing to sub him in - gives me some hope things are coming together for him in his 3rd year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

We had two sacks.  Two pressures that ended up in an intentional grounding call.  A third sack that got bailed out by a PI.  And the final pressure which forced an INT. They played well.

Our DTs played well. Yes.

They accounted for 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 3 PD, 4 QB hits I believe. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Our DTs played well. Yes.

They accounted for 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 3 PD, 4 QB hits I believe. 

I thought Sweat had a couple nice pressures and almost got there once or twice. And the backups put some pressure on as well.

The interior rush was fantastic.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Eh, I dont know.  He simply hadn't played to that level before now.  Solid, above average player, and he'll be a good player somewhere else most likely.  But yesterday felt like standard contract year stuff.  If he looked like that more, maybe he's not in a contract year to begin with.

I think they really like Mathis and think he will give those quality snaps.  And before he got injured, he was rotating in there quite a bit.  I think the whole point of drafting him was to give an approximation of Payne for pennies on the dollar.  

With Payne I think it all depends on how much he wants. If he wants an enormous contract, he's not worth that and we should let someone else overpay. If he wants a decent but still reasonable contract, I'd like to have him back.

He's solid and reliable but he's not a game changer who teams have to account for at all times. We gave Allen a top 5 DT contract. He's definitely top 10, maybe borderline top 5, so I think that was close to reasonable. Payne IMO isn't in that category so if he wants the same sort of contract that Allen got, they're just going to let him walk.

Scott reminded me of his Dad yesterday - well crafted opening drive, followed by a failure of second half adjustments. Still, he finally seems to be using Gibson effectively rather than pounding him between the tackles until he fumbles.

Trevor Lawrence still sucks...okay, maybe not sinking to the level of suckitude, but he isn't the franchise savior he was hyped up to be, and is closer to Jameis Winston or Jared Goff than Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow.

I may soon have to gleefully apologize for all the Josh Jahan Do(c)tson jokes I made around draft time.  He and Curtis Samuel show a lot of possibilities.

Did Kendall Fuller have as bad a game as it looked like? He looked like Roland Bailey trying to cover Amani Toomer back in the day.

When our #1 RB recovers from the gunshots, if he is the bruiser back he looks like, we may have a solid, well balanced offense.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gonna have to bring in new interior D-line dudes. That's a given

Given how Logan looked Turner has a shot to get some real burn when he returns. I don't see him getting a lot of Bates reps.

Kinda weird that Amari just ceased to exist after the start of the game. I don't know how many reps he got but it didn't feel like a ton.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I thought Sweat had a couple nice pressures and almost got there once or twice. And the backups put some pressure on as well.

The interior rush was fantastic.

Sweat played better late in the game but just didn’t make game breaking plays you’d expect. He wasn’t bad by any means. Just not where you’d expect.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sweat played better late in the game but just didn’t make game breaking plays you’d expect. He wasn’t bad by any means. Just not where you’d expect.

Not sure how this all eventually works out but we may not have to pay the "big 4", if Sweat doesn't rate that investment and depending on if Chase can get back to his explosiveness. May be able to pay Allen and Payne after all. Still a long season to go to work its way out though.

• Like 1