Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington vs Jacksonville

TK
Message added by TK,

923125569_ScreenShot2022-09-11at4_24_32PM.thumb.png.6b22cff457e7a198dfe87f0908b441ea.png

Jamin did not fare well today, which was something I was worried about even with the camp reports. Going up against the same O every day and vanilla Os in preseason totally negates his biggest issues of reading and reacting. I need to see him come out against other opponents, who are actually trying to disguise and fool him, before I can say I see improvement, and we really didn't get that today. Some of it was not his fault, dude had no chance lined up vs Kirk, but he was still getting routinely beat multiple players for easy completions. Gotta see more outta Jamin moving forward, shame his sack was wiped out.

Forrest looked great though. Coverage, hitting, the works. I feel a lot better if our starting Ss have to miss some time with him around.

I'm getting worried about our draft class tho. Dot has to carry all the water right now. Dudes are dropping like flies.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

So with Phidarian Mathis apparently getting a bad injury (didn't look good) and Daron Payne looking like an absolute beast, we now must sign him, yes?

We can always franchise Payne next year until we see if Mathis will bounce back or if we draft another tackle. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Welp seeing him failing covering a WR means if they actually get him on a TE or back maybe he can be Monte. I don't ever recall a Skins LB covering a WR multiples times in a game... ever.   We cannot fault him for failing to cover Kirk. JDR put him in a position to fail.

TF ya supposed to do? I mean Samuels ended up on LBers all day today. No LBer runs with WRs like a CB, but you can't not put LBers out there

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

TF ya supposed to do? I mean Samuels ended up on LBers all day today. No LBer runs with WRs like a CB, but you can't not put LBers out there

Line up a DB on Samuel instead. Dime. Zone. New DC. Draft better. Why haven't OCs abused LBs with WR our entire lives?

27 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm getting worried about our draft class tho. Dot has to carry all the water right now. Dudes are dropping like flies.

Mathis was massively unlucky.

Robinson got shot going to dinner.

Butler is playing, I think

Howell is the inactive 3rd string QB

Turner I think was active (though I’m not sure)

the rest….

Nothing you can do about Mathis or Robinson.  Just bad luck.  

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Mathis was massively unlucky.

Robinson got shot going to dinner.

Butler is playing, I think

Howell is the inactive 3rd string QB

Turner I think was active (though I’m not sure)

the rest….

Nothing you can do about Mathis or Robinson.  Just bad luck.  

Any report on Mathis yet or just MRI in the morning? 

37 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Jamin did not fare well today, which was something I was worried about even with the camp reports. Going up against the same O every day and vanilla Os in preseason totally negates his biggest issues of reading and reacting. I need to see him come out against other opponents, who are actually trying to disguise and fool him, before I can say I see improvement, and we really didn't get that today. Some of it was not his fault, dude had no chance lined up vs Kirk, but he was still getting routinely beat multiple players for easy completions. Gotta see more outta Jamin moving forward, shame his sack was wiped out.

Forrest looked great though. Coverage, hitting, the works. I feel a lot better if our starting Ss have to miss some time with him around.

Davis just doesn't play fast. And even when he has an opportunity to make a play, he's just so stiff and ends up whiffing. I'm not gonna kill him for getting roasted by Kirk, no LB can cover a WR, but the things he's supposed to do well at he sucks.

Classic example of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Jamin may turn it around but he’s not a natural football player. His instincts aren’t there.

I think the issue is that Jamin doesn’t have football smarts. I think his reaction to whether it’s a pas or a run is very slow and then if he has zone responsibilities, he’s completely lost.

As I said I think we can officially call him a bust and we will need to live with him. Unless we move Bostic to MLB and move Holcomb back to the outside. Actually this may not be a bad plan. 

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

Wild that the titans just ran one of those bull**** plays to reposition the ball for their kicker as if 47 yards is a gimme, and then miss. They had time for one more pass play, idiots 

Yeah that was just silly, lost a couple yards and kinda had to rush after spiking the ball.

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think the issue is that Jamin doesn’t have football smarts. I think his reaction to whether it’s a pas or a run is very slow and then if he has zone responsibilities, he’s completely lost.

As I said I think we can officially call him a bust and we will need to live with him. Unless we move Bostic to MLB and move Holcomb back to the outside. Actually this may not be a bad plan. 

I can't believe we are again talking about Bostic. Such a disappointment

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I can't believe we are again talking about Bostic. Such a disappointment

Do you want Davis who does a good job covering the invisible man and had a whooping 3 tackles today? Sometimes it’s better to admit your mistake and move on. 

He had the entire offseason to learn how to play linebacker and it’s the same thing as last year. The guy makes zero impact plays. 

Edited by skinsfan93

5 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Do you want Davis who does a good job covering the invisible man and had a whooping 3 tackles today? Sometimes it’s better to admit your mistake and move on. 

He had the entire offseason to learn how to play linebacker and it’s the same thing as last year. The guy makes zero impact plays. 

Honestly I don't love either. I expected the LB position to be better addressed in the off season. It was kinda of ignored. I know, there were a couple fairly unknowns that played okay and were injured in preseason but we all knew at least the back ups required upgrades that it didn't occur

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

IMO It was not a coincidence we went pass happy and won. A few smarter plays from Wentz, a few less over throws and the game likely didn't come down to the final drive. Stay pass happy to setup the run. Running hoping its effective enough to start to try play action is dated.... you don't even need to run to setup play action. You just need a good QB at selling the fake handoff.

one of our drives failed after a bubble screen was hit for a loss and a pass attempt resulted in a sack, so it wasn't all about going safe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Honestly I don't love either. I expected the LB position to be better addressed in the off season. It was kinda of ignored. I know, there were a couple fairly unknowns that played okay and were injured in preseason but we all knew at least the back ups required upgrades that it didn't occur

I agree. There were so many linebackers that we should have went after but we didn’t. But we’re into the season now so how do we fix the problem? We could let Jamin continue to play but he’s showing as a real liability on defense. Holcomb is okay at mlb but we need a true freak at the outside backer position.