Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Happiness is simple pleasures …

Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Unless it's the tea I made, with a full glass of ice.   Then you suck it down and want more. :ols:

4 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Unless it's the tea I made, with a full glass of ice.   Then you suck it down and want more. :ols:

One of our first WTF experiences in the USA was on a road trip ordering a sandwich and tea at a diner not long after we arrived in the country. We were served a container the size of a small bucket with cold brown liquid with ice in it. We learned that day to say “hot tea”.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Destino said:

I’d climb onto the dais and ask for something reasonable.  This would happen monthly, as weekly has always felt entirely too greedy for me.  

For their convenience on the payment form they should have to uncheck the box that says ‘make this contribution monthly’.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

The stories people tell themselves to feel better …

There are about 10,000 people in the USA with a net worth over $100million. While very few ultra wealthy people won the lottery, many came across their money as much through luck as hard work.

Tech startups have created tens of thousands of millionaires and only a small fraction were brilliant founders. The rest were just mostly competent folks along for the ride. Being rich is not a roadmap to financial ruin.

People like to tell similar stories about very high bankruptcy rates for NFL and NBA players, whereas in reality the actual numbers are much lower.

Exactly.  They myth of the unhappy lottery winner plays on American's deeply-held but questionable belief that wealth magically confers itself on people who deserve it (and only those people) due to their hard work and brilliance. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Exactly.  They myth of the unhappy lottery winner plays on American's deeply-held but questionable belief that wealth magically confers itself on people who deserve it (and only those people) due to their hard work and brilliance. 

Present company is obviously the exception. Our wealth was earned entirely though brilliance and hard work.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My takeaway was always that if one never develops the processes (life/business) to create wealth, then they also wouldn’t have the processes in place to sustain it.

But, for instance, if Oprah went bankrupt tomorrow, she’d probably make most of it back because she knows (has learned) how. 

Mark Brunell and Clinton Portis OTOH… 😂

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:05 PM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Semi-retire at 52, grow my hair out like a Viking, buy a Mazda dealership to keep the money moving, get stoned and lounge around the pool cranking old Tears 4 Fears and Peter Tosh songs, get a Swedish/Hot Stone massage twice a month, shop for property in the Bahamas just in case the Nazis take over, etc.

I believe the massage therapist is from Sweden too  and blonde, right ?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Powerball is at $700 million. 

I play the lottery fairly frequently, and I don't recall having so many gigantic jackpots. Seems like every month there have been $700 million+ jackpots.

I know, I don't buy nearly as frequently as I did in years past.   Won a couple hundred bucks early in '21 on a QP.  Thought it was gonna be my year.