Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Sam Howell QB North Carolina

PCS

Like most people on here Howell was a great pick in the fifth but ideally he never sees suits up on game day because Wentz plays solid. Wentz does get nicked up occasionally and may miss a game or two. Hopefully Heinicke got stronger this offseason and can fill in on a spot start. 

If we can’t afford Wentz next year or he plays poorly, then with a year under his belt Howell can compete for the starting job. I do worry about a qb controversy this year when I want stability at the position. 

22 hours ago, HigSkin said:

What I really like about Howell, in a post draft interview with JP Finlay he offered no excuses about the performance he had last year after losing most of offensive weapons.

Yeah agree. He sounds humble and ready to go. Love the pick.

• Like 2

Sorry to be a debbie downer but this is a wasted pick.  The odds of a 5th round QB to become a solid starter is extremely low (if not non-existent). 

Who are the most recent pro bowl QBs who were drafted in 5th round or later in the last twenty years?  Tyrod Taylor (2012) and Derek Anderson (2007).  Both made pro bowl once and have never thrown more than 11000 yards in their careers.  Both were really backups.  

I would have picked Micah McFadden or even Khalil Shakir.  At least they can contribute ST right away.

• Thumb down 2

7 minutes ago, Wafers said:

Sorry to be a debbie downer but this is a wasted pick.  The odds of a 5th round QB to become a solid starter is extremely low (if not non-existent). 

Who are the most recent pro bowl QBs who were drafted in 5th round or later in the last twenty years?  Tyrod Taylor (2012) and Derek Anderson (2007).  Both made pro bowl once and have never thrown more than 11000 yards in their careers.  Both were really backups.  

I would have picked Micah McFadden or even Khalil Shakir.  At least they can contribute ST right away.

Total Debbie downer. We didn't draft him in the 5th to be the savior or a All Pro/Pro Bowler. With a 5th round pick if we get a high quality back up that has great character then ot is really good value. Now how many excellent back up QBs have been taken in the 5th or later? I bet that number goes up huh Debbie!!!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2022 at 2:45 AM, KDawg said:

We also took some pressure off of him with Dotson. Different positions but now there are more talented receivers on the offense. Brown is going to do fine this year.

Our WRs 1-4 have to be as good as any in the NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

Total Debbie downer. We didn't draft him in the 5th to be the savior or a All Pro/Pro Bowler. With a 5th round pick if we get a high quality back up that has great character then ot is really good value. Now how many excellent back up QBs have been taken in the 5th or later? I bet that number goes up huh Debbie!!!

Hahaha.  It is fair but you do not need to spend a fifth round pick to find a backup QB who most likely will be released in 2-3 years.   

6 minutes ago, Wafers said:

Hahaha.  It is fair but you do not need to spend a fifth round pick to find a backup QB who most likely will be released in 2-3 years.   

For a good one you do. Or you can spend a 1st and realize he’s a backup after he fails.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wafers said:

I’m curious, how would you have felt if we hadn’t traded for Wentz and instead picked Howell early (like 1st or 2nd round)?

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Forever A Redskin said:

Ringing endorsement from Kurt Warner here. Seems like he's saying he's his favorite of the 5 that came out this year.

Bonus: can get an eye on our UDFA LB from ND.

On Part 2 Kurt Warner goes over his negatives for Howell, and (spoil alert) it's technique. That's really exciting to me, because technique can be learned, and Howell sounds like he has the work ethic and desire to be great to fix those technique issues.

Imagine looking back on this draft and it being our Cinderella story draft when we got our franchise QB in the 5th round like a Dak or Wilson.

Learning how to QB under center and technique development for a year and we might really have something here.

Of nothing Howell brings work ethic and three years of leadership; he was thrust into starting role first year and made all us UNC alums proud! He will be just fine if given some time 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, xxprodigyxx said:

if he won't fight his guts out, i'm not interested

He’s a fighter for sure 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Thanks HTT Skins, that tape breakdown on Howell was excellent to see - although QB ability & smarts at this level are a rare find, you can see from this tape example that the Commanders like the potential they're getting with this pick. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, Wafers said:

He is a 5th rounder. He was not picked primarily to be a starter but as another quality arm which we needed bad. That we were going to pick a day 2 or 3 QB was almost a given. The nice thing is that we were able to get one with some game-day potential so late. This was NOT a wasted pick. A good backup QB is a harder find than a your number one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I heard he was erratic at rookie mini camp.  

Clearly this is the worst pick of all time, he’s a bust, and Dan Snyder phones the pick in from the yacht.

Life sucks.

(if you can’t tell that’s sarcasm go get your sarcasm meter fixed)

Source?

On 5/6/2022 at 10:56 AM, Wafers said:

The easiest way to look at it is to consider trend lines with the handful of hits, and he fits in with them. Good early breakout, good #'s, good production when things were right, the horrible season is totally explicable. Will he hit? Probably not, but with Howell, the talent generally had a 1st to 2nd round grade before the disaster last year. He's not a normal "Chris Hakel/Gibran Hamdan" day 3 flyer that you know will suck from the jump. He's the day 2/day 3 guy that eight times out of ten is Conner Cook or Jimmy Clausen but is occasionally a Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, or theoretically <cough> Davis Mills. 

Additionally you could look at it from the hit rate percentage (which I'm absolutely sympathetic too, especially if it was some whatever prospect like a Hakel, like a Hamdam), or you could look at it from the "we have no chance in hell till we have a QB perspective" which is actually true and has been for decades. Maybe Wentz is, but I don't think the Eagles let him go for the roll of the dice that Hurts can learn to throw, let alone throw at the NFL level, or that the Colts let him go when they have no other options worth a damn on the roster if they think he has it. 

Edited by The Consigliere

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Another point is: The only QB's this team has ever hit on were late rounders like this dude. Cousins, Trent Green, and Gus "Hammerhead" Frerotte. Oh and Rypien and Schroeder too. 

Yeah I’m not sure that’s really relevant, though it is interesting.  

Several different owners, coaches and GMs have factored into that.  

Regardless, where we are now, we’ll see what happens with Carson, and how Howell develops.  Shrug.  

On 5/8/2022 at 9:54 PM, zCommander said:

The source

Yes exactly.

I was building off of JP’s pod where they said he was a little all over the place on some drills, on the first day of rookie mini-camp throwing to guys who mostly will be in other lines of work in 2 months.  

They spent way too much time teeth grinding about a few passes which hit the ground or weren’t accurate.  

Which led to my “source.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah I’m not sure that’s really relevant, though it is interesting.  

Several different owners, coaches and GMs have factored into that.  

Regardless, where we are now, we’ll see what happens with Carson, and how Howell develops.  Shrug.  

Yes exactly.

I was building off of JP’s pod where they said he was a little all over the place on some drills, on the first day of rookie mini-camp throwing to guys who mostly will be in other lines of work in 2 months.  

They spent way too much time teeth grinding about a few passes which hit the ground or weren’t accurate.  

Which led to my “source.”

Yet Jahan Dotson was said to look remarkable. Terry-esque even. He can't look Terry-esque without the ball being delivered on target.

4 minutes ago, Sacks &#x27;n&#x27; Stuff said:

Catching balls that weren’t delivered on target is one of the things Terry does best.

I'd argue a lot of the balls Terry caught were on target... just he had to field them like a punt instead of a pass :ols:

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yet Jahan Dotson was said to look remarkable. Terry-esque even. He can't look Terry-esque without the ball being delivered on target.

Yeah, clearly I think the whole "analysis" of mini-camp is completely pointless.  Which was kindof my point to begin with. 

We'll see Howell in some preseason games.  My guess is we're going to see him play about a game and a half worth of football over the three preseason games.  And that will be somewhat telling, I think. 

I have seen enough "first round talent QB steals" in the later round (Conner Cook, Matt Barkley, Ryan Mallet etc etc) to know a 5th round QB draftee is at best a career backup and most likely a camp cut in three years.  It is a wasted pick.

18 minutes ago, Sacks &#x27;n&#x27; Stuff said:

Coaches must be able to glean something from these minicamps. They saw enough of Cosmi in one day without pads to feel good enough about him starting that they cut Morgan Moses.

I think that had much less to do with the one day of practice and much more to do with the MONTHS of research they had done on him, with one day of "hey, he showed up.  Now onto part B of the plan."

Also, I just don't think they loved Moses.  Just like Matt I.  I think they kept him around, he didn't fit real well, and then when they could exit the player, they did. There were some rumblings that Moses was a little too opinionated about changing techniques.  Keim and a few others had that. So away he went.  

• Like 1