Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now that We Are the Commanders....What Will Be our Mascot?

DCdangerous

7 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

I think if Washington brings in a new hastag #AlphaCommand, it will show more fluidity to the name Commanders. It can be military theme, but also space theme and also wolf theme. Three marketing fields that are there for the taking. And those who don't want one field can focus more on the other field.
I even made three logos for #AlphaCommand. All three show the W intact, and include the three DC flag stars.

AlphaCommand.png

You made these? Nice work. The wolf one is really cool, and also makes me very angry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

I think if Washington brings in a new hastag #AlphaCommand, it will show more fluidity to the name Commanders. It can be military theme, but also space theme and also wolf theme. Three marketing fields that are there for the taking. And those who don't want one field can focus more on the other field.
I even made three logos for #AlphaCommand. All three show the W intact, and include the three DC flag stars.

AlphaCommand.png

All three of these are better than anything Washington’s marketing team has trotted out, very nice!

• Like 1

Here is another idea for a new mascot for Commanders. And it really started with the recent release of the Cherry Blossom uniforms of both the Nationals and the Wizards. I personally don't like the idea that the only real DC icon we have (that isn't the federal government or museums) is a pink flowered tree. (We shall see if Commanders makes a Mumbo Sauce uniform). But people have been rejoicing over this. They even want the Commanders to make their own Cherry Blossom merch. That is how much the fans here really get behind something that is local. That is unique to DC.

But that is when I had a breakthrough. There is another canine we can have on our Washington team! And it doesn't just come from the military, it comes from the White House.

President Biden just got a German Shepard named Commander. One of a few German Shepards the President owns. Obviously we all know that, but this is definitely a local connection to the area, something DC can get behind.

In 1967 the Louisiana Restaurant Association gave the Saints a St Bernard named Gumbo as a gift. And that became their dog mascot to this day. 
Our connection with the Prez's dog would be on equal standing as Gumbo.

And no it would not be considered too political to choose a mascot from the President. Let a dog be a dog, just one owned by the Commander in Chief.
(Naming the German Shepard mascot Brandon, now THAT is too political)

Also the breed of the dog is important as well. The US Military uses dogs in many departments to do tasks such as attacking intruders, rescuing people, checking for landmines, etc. And the #1 dog breed they use? German Shepard.

Another factor the German Shepard has is that I have looked up all the dog mascots in pro and collegiate sports.
There are breeds like Bulldogs, Greyhounds, Huskies, Retrievers, even Terriers. And yet no team has ever used a German Shepard. That gives us an edge for uniqueness. It could even be a GS mix with a wolf to both increase its uniqueness and bring the spirit of the red wolf that many dogs already have.

And for what it is worth, that means you can name the German Shepard mascot Alpha. You would have no fears of lawsuits from teams like AR St or Minn, no one else claiming the rights to Alpha for a German Shepard, and you can still use the Alpha as a play on Alpha dog. A more rounded way of having the hashtag, #AlphaCommand.

So in summation, the fans really care about something that is local. So most likely the mascot has to be based on something local. This may not have been the wolf I was hoping for, but a canine is a canine. I am willing to transfer all my passion from the wolf to the German Shepard named Alpha in order to give the fans the local connection they want as well as uniqueness.

A German Shepard mascot, based on the President's dog, with a breed used in the military, and never used in any other sports team. And with so many people hating on the reent merch sent out lately, this team needs a different perspective on their name to bring more creative ideas.

So I adjusted the wolf W up there to give is a German Shepard shape. It's a short hair version in this one. But its neck not as thin as a Doberman Pincher, and not as wide as a wolf. Maybe if more people can see the German Shepard in this logo, I will give more hair on the back of the neck.
FPJtMwZXMAQKnnK2.png.2197e6ec25b86524c7ee08785eb7c4a2.png

I also went so far as to make the costumed mascot in all three Commanders uniforms. I never did this before but I definitely get my point across better with visuals. I made it two fur variations. One in black and tan, and one in black and red.
327032944_qJs5K7WX.jpgmedium.jpg.468a927a6b3fd03518764ba60266d2b5.jpg
218026436_O1yqgSG7.jpgmedium.jpg.26456baeba38e63eb459d8dd9e031bb9.jpg
I even reused my wolf paw design and adjusted to make it a German Shepard paw.
Alpha_Paw2.png.1e4a7f6afeb4d1034d4cb48ee04bb85c.png
This can fall into place if you know where to look!
Edited by DCdangerous
  • Like 4

On 4/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, Koolblue13 said:

The Alpha thing in dogs and wolves doesn't really exist though. That's an old myth.

One of my favorite fun facts, it’s crazy how few people are aware of this due to the proliferation of this idea into pop culture. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

One of my favorite fun facts, it’s crazy how few people are aware of this due to the proliferation of this idea into pop culture. 

Does a huge disservice to dogs. Assholes like the dog whispering prick Chavez keeps pushing that myth, while abusing dogs. Sucks.

:ols: I got 93'd by @max21 for some reason.   :ols:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Does a huge disservice to dogs. Assholes like the dog whispering prick Chavez keeps pushing that myth, while abusing dogs. Sucks.

:ols: I got 93'd by @max21 for some reason.   :ols:

93’d LOL. And I was just playin mate 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

@TK

When I was at the FedEx practice last saturday, one of the employees for the team said there was a suggestion box on the main Commanders website for the new team mascot, and that new mascot would be picked from that.

I'm having trouble finding it, is that true? And if so, where is it that I'm too dumb to find it? : /

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@TK

When I was at the FedEx practice last saturday, one of the employees for the team said there was a suggestion box on the main Commanders website for the new team mascot, and that new mascot would be picked from that.

I'm having trouble finding it, is that true? And if so, where is it that I'm too dumb to find it? : /

Even if this is so; we know Dan already has the mascot picked out. Doesn't matter what the fans pick.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@TK

As someone that works at the stadium, I can’t say I’ve heard of that, but I do know that voting will begin on Saturday at the preseason game. 

fans in attendance will receive a first look at the mascot category options and be able to cast their vote, and fans can also visit Commanders.com/HTTC from Saturday through 8/21 to vote on which category they prefer. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@TK

I found it!!! :cheers:

Spoiler

SuggestionBox-gif.gif

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 3

I'm gonna go back to being petty and pathetic (oh, wait, i am always those things)... I'm reenabling my chrome browser plugin Word Replacer II to replace C0mmanders/C0mmander with Redskins/Redskin. At least in my own pathetic world when i look for things about the team in my web browser, I'll see the glorious Redskins instead of the garbage C0mmanders name. HTTR!

i need to find out if there's a similar image replacer plugin for the logos!

image.thumb.png.2431a8589727926ff2f480bab7239e94.png

Edited by slinky
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, mascots don't really bother me. Even if they're cartoony and kinda dorky, if you really embrace it it can be fun.

But you gotta make the right pick. We've already messed up so many things with this rebrand I'm pessimistic.

Uh, we are going to mess that up. Everything they do they will mess up. Even if they get a new stadium; they will mess it up.

This myth there’s a choice of the mascot , there isn’t. Dan already knows what he’s using and my guess it will some sort of military theme, to with the name.