Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

To be fair, that narrative was clearly driven to the media via Irsay and/or someone close with him.  It was obvious that the mission was to destroy his character and make the narrative “If Reich doesn’t want him, why would anyone?”.  But as things started to unfold it became pretty clear that it wasn’t Reich who wanted him gone, and his call to Ron speaks to that.  Irsay wanted to muddy the waters about his character, painting the picture that his departure was addition by subtraction, making whatever they got in return seem solid.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I think it's pretty clear Irsay ran the Brucifer playbook to justify dumping Wentz for less than it took to trade him. Then the trade happens and everyone in the media + fans congratulated Chris Ballard for a genius move for some reason. Now Indy has no QB and is flailing around while the players grumble about instability at the position... tell me why this is supposed to be good for them?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I think it's pretty clear Irsay ran the Brucifer playbook to justify dumping Wentz for less than it took to trade him. Then the trade happens and everyone in the media + fans congratulated Chris Ballard for a genius move for some reason. Now Indy has no QB and is flailing around while the players grumble about instability at the position... tell me why this is supposed to be good for them?

In DC, the media would label that "dysfunction".

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, the point is that DC and Indy media, along with national media, have a different spin and angle in response to situations like this. 

Of course Indy is a much smaller market, but they’ve also produced a Super Bowl and competitive football more often than not - so that buys them some goodwill.

We have an owner that can’t even fluke his way into fielding a competitive football team + we’re in a market built for drama.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To be fair, that narrative was clearly driven to the media via Irsay and/or someone close with him.  It was obvious that the mission was to destroy his character and make the narrative “If Reich doesn’t want him, why would anyone?”.  But as things started to unfold it became pretty clear that it wasn’t Reich who wanted him gone, and his call to Ron speaks to that.  Irsay wanted to muddy the waters about his character, painting the picture that his departure was addition by subtraction, making whatever they got in return seem solid.

Yep. 

Most likely explanation is that impatient, impulsive, owner was upset about performance in last few games. 

Time will tell but I find it hard to believe that a GM and coach would choose to get back less than they paid and go into the season with no ****ing QB because Wentz is such a awful player and leader. 

It’s a horse**** smear campaign, and I hope Wentz takes it personally and delivers for us.

Can you believe some of the stuff they leaked out? I would be embarrassed as a Colts fan.

GM Chris Ballard noted, "In 4 seasons Carson Wentz has ZERO playoff wins, 48 fumbles." Privately, one Colts coach mentioned "his teammates hate him. He’s terrible for chemistry. He has no heart no desire to win." Another added, "he has the IQ of a potato"

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ballard is a damn good GM. One of the best in the league. He wouldn't trade Wentz for a 3 and a 2 a year after giving up a 1 for him in a QB desperate market unless he was mandated by the owner.

Or knew he was getting one over on the club he is trading with and getting out from under a bad signing

• Like 2

Ballad and Reich is gone after the 22 season. Irsay got spoiled with Manning. Then he lucked into Luck but ruined that with a poor o-line; which drove Luck into retirement. The Colts really didn’t improve their oline until after Luck’s retirement.

The Colts are heading back to what they were pre-Manning.

i'm not going to dismiss the entire history of 'negative wentz coverage' over the years, but my analytical take is that at this point the colts look real messy coaching and fo-wise all on their own over this ending.

that's even counting the 'upside' points for them that peeps may make for the deal. in contrast. while i sure can't 'celebrate' where we are at qb at this time in terms of where we 'should' be or want to be, at least i think ron has a legitimately defendable rationale for the move in the context of the current options and it is a move forward imv.

that's more than i can say for the colts, who actually seem to me to have squandered their window again this year in a manner that reflects poorly on their fo/coaching and they are currently flailing. they are coming off right now as a powerful body with a weak mind on and off the field and i'd think their fan base has cause to be more upset with their leadership than commanders fans.

only time will tell who ends up looking more 'right' in the long run of course. if wentz ends up a stinker here then it's obvious how this will be written so we remain in r perpetual state of 'wait and hope.' 

decades of this status wears on the phsycial and mental health of we old decaying fans. i am looking into filing a class-action lawsuit against dan for this abuse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Or knew he was getting one over on the club he is trading with and getting out from under a bad signing

That's certainly a possibility, but look at how crazy this QB market has been. Deshaun Watson literally didn't play for an entire year and might be a rapist, and he got 5 years $200+ Million. 

Wentz for all his faults is still a respectable starting QB in the league. You don't just give up someone like that when you're an expected contender. Its not like he sucked for the entire year, he had a bad two game stretch to end the season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ballad and Reich is gone after the 22 season. Irsay got spoiled with Manning. Then he lucked into Luck but ruined that with a poor o-line; which drove Luck into retirement. The Colts really didn’t improve their oline until after Luck’s retirement.

The Colts are heading back to what they were pre-Manning.

His team tanked for Luck in 2011 for sure. Curtis Painter was their QB, with Dan Orlovsky and Kerry freaking Collins each starting games that year.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It was an impulse move by Irsay. Wentz was by and large pretty good last year until the last two games of the season but people forget like the entire team got COVID at that point in the season. 

To make it even worse for Wentz, he got Covid just in the week they played the Raiders in week 17 (tested positive on Monday and then played on Saturday). I don't know how much it affected him, but everybody in the media talks about the bad 2 final games of the season, but none of them didn't at least mention that he just recovered from Covid (unvaccinated) right before these games.

Edited by Vandelay_Industries
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

His team tanked for Luck in 2011 for sure. Curtis Painter was their QB, with Dan Orlovsky and Kerry freaking Collins each starting games that year.

I don’t wanna give the guy too much credit, but if Irsay saw that their best hope long term was to get rid of Wentz, add draft ammo next year and tank for a top qb next year, and then they do land their franchise qb (ala Luck)… man, wouldn’t that be something.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t wanna give the guy too much credit, but if Irsay saw that their best hope long term was to get rid of Wentz, add draft ammo next year and tank for a top qb next year, and then they do land their franchise qb (ala Luck)… man, wouldn’t that be something.

The Colts have too good of a roster to suck bad enough for a high pick. Even with a bottom 5 QB that team will win 6 or 7 games. Its basically a better version of our roster that managed 7 wins with Taylor freaking Heinicke. 

5 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Evidence, like this, that is completely antithetical to the prevailing, "Wentz was a poor leader, indifferent to losing and not well liked in the lockerroom," narrative, is exactly why we can't blindly accept anything the talking heads say as gospel.

Everyone in power (GMs, coaches, owners etc.) has an agenda and they are motivated to leak stories, true or not, that support that agenda.

It would be naive of us to think that informing the public, simply for our edification  and benefit, is anything other than an afterthought.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

Just watched a good breakdown on Kurt Warner’s YouTube channel breaking down Carson Wentz.  Basic conclusion is his eyes are often in the wrong place.  He is working so hard to look off defenders when not necessary and it’s hurts his ability to read key defenders.  Kurt was critical of several of Indy’s offenses schemes but Carson missed open throws because his eyes were late to the target.  If he can get through progressions a bit quicker and not be afraid to hit check downs he has a chance to be successful.  Its going to be critical that the QB coach and OC scheme progressions that Carson can work and convince him that a check down is always better than a sack.  Good news is Carson has the skills you can’t teach (size, speed, arm strength) and should be able to learn the rest.  It’s a little scary he has made it this far without these skills, hope he Is able and open to learning.  I’d love to see Carson and Kurt go through that tape together.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, evmiii said:

Just watched a good breakdown on Kurt Warner’s YouTube channel breaking down Carson Wentz.  Basic conclusion is his eyes are often in the wrong place.  He is working so hard to look off defenders when not necessary and it’s hurts his ability to read key defenders.  Kurt was critical of several of Indy’s offenses schemes but Carson missed open throws because his eyes were late to the target.  If he can get through progressions a bit quicker and not be afraid to hit check downs he has a chance to be successful.  Its going to be critical that the QB coach and OC scheme progressions that Carson can work and convince him that a check down is always better than a sack.  Good news is Carson has the skills you can’t teach (size, speed, arm strength) and should be able to learn the rest.  It’s a little scary he has made it this far without these skills, hope he Is able and open to learning.  I’d love to see Carson and Kurt go through that tape together.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it yet...

It's clearly obvious from the video that Wentz has a lot of room for improvement. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a challenge and challenges can be highly motivating if you have the right motivator.

Fortunately, we've got a very underrated qb coach in Zampese, who is something of a qb whisperer in his own right; and unlike last year (due to covid) Carson should benefit from a full off season of hands on work. 

• Like 1

In a QB needy league where teams fight over the QB scraps, it is a huge flag to see ANY team give up on a QB. You can try and talk yourselves into saying Indi was wrong here. It MIGHT be true, though Indi has made a number of good decisions of late. They're not a terrible organization. The problem is that it doesn't explain why Wentz was also run out of Philly. How does a seemingly decent QB get run out of two organizations in just over a year? And neither Philly or Indi really have viable alternatives at QB (and no, Jalen Hurts does not count) or a pattern of otherwise poor decisions. As much as Wentz seems like a decent enough QB, there's something going on there. Sure we can all speculate, the easier answer is this team is now stuck with Wentz and will know in a year exactly what they have. Hopefully it works out, but I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

I'm so-so on Wentz and the trade, but I hope we do get to stick it to the person who wrote this article for NFL.com: https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-frenzy-three-good-fits-and-three-head-scratchers

GOOD FITS

Mitchel Trubisky, Pittsburgh Steelers

The contract: Two years, $14.25 million with incentives that could push the total value to $27 million.

This deal is a great pairing of minimal downside with lots of upside. Using last year's QB contracts as a comparison, Trubisky's annual salary would've ranked 28th. This deal is also an alignment fit, as Next Gen Stats show that Trubisky's 114.4 passer rating on throws of fewer than 10 air yards led the NFL in 2020 (his most recent year as a starter). Last season, Pittsburgh's offense had the highest rate of pass attempts traveling fewer than 10 air yards at 71.9 percent. Trubisky can leverage those shorter passes into big gains -- and ideally, the former No. 2 overall pick's growth and development will allow the Steelers to include more difficult passing concepts.

HEAD-SCRATCHERS

Carson Wentz, Washington Commanders

The trade: Acquired from the Indianapolis Colts (along with a 2022 seventh-round pick) in exchange for a 2022 third-rounder and a 2023 third-rounder, which can convert to a second-rounder based on Wentz's snap totals. The teams will also swap 2022 second-round selections.

Fresh off a brief tenure in Indianapolis that ended in disappointment, Wentz has an average annual salary that currently ranks ninth among quarterbacks at $32 million. According to my win-share metrics, he was QB19 in 2021. When not under pressure last season, Wentz had an NGS passing score of 82, which ranked 23rd. His 66.4 completion percentage (26th) and 6.7 yards per attempt (27th) when pressure-free also left much to be desired.

Steelers fans should be humiliated that they went from the QB the worst at the throwing the ball down the field to the QB the least accurate throwing the ball anywhere. Wentz can be messy, but I'd take Wentz's average day over Trubisky's average day every single time.