Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I half expect people to spot Putin carrying a bag of bricks and a satchel of mortar towards east Germany.

Dude is like a high school athlete that peaked in 1989, and desperately wants to relive the wonder years.

Putin was the lead blocker for Al Bundy’s 4 TD game 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

No worries.  Reports can still be accurate without being “official”.  I just wasn't’ familiar with the OP or the DailyMail and how reliable they are.

Oh man, I didn’t realize that the link to the mail article was in the tweet…

they aren’t the bbc, but I think it’s a solid enough source to believe that at least most of what’s being said is true.

Edited by MrSilverMaC
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thousands in Russia protest Ukraine war, hundreds detained

Russian police have detained more than 1,700 people at anti-war protests across dozens of cities as thousands took to the streets after President Vladimir Putin sent troops to invade Ukraine, an independent monitor said Thursday.

Many in Russia had been sceptical about Putin's plans to attack the pro-Western neighbour.

Moscow was asleep when Putin ordered an air and ground assault on Ukraine in the small hours of Thursday.

As troops advanced, the Kremlin said it was certain that Russians would "support" the war and that Ukraine needed to be "liberated and cleansed of Nazis".

But with shocking scenes of death in Ukraine, many prominent figures publicly spoke out against the war on Thursday and thousands of ordinary Russians defied draconian anti-protest legislation to take to the streets across the country.

Several thousand people gathered near Pushkin Square in central Moscow, while up to 1,000 people gathered in the former imperial capital Saint Petersburg, according to AFP correspondents at the scene.

Rallies also took place in dozens of other Russian cities.

The invasion of Ukraine is taking place during an unprecedented crackdown on the Russian opposition, with most protest leaders assassinated, jailed or forced out of the country.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

3 hours ago, tshile said:

image.thumb.png.005e3bfa2a3be4036ac96e9238ca2981.png

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode (either TOS or TNG, can't remember which), where an alien species had some system where when nations went to war, they would simulate it on a computer and then civilians would be picked (at random I think) to be "casualties of war" depending on the results of those sims? 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Any of you guys been on Twitter today and seen all the republicans siding with Putin?  What the **** is going on?

Republicans don't want to talk about Trump calling Putin 'smart.' Time for the media to make them

Donald Trump says the Russian invasion of Ukraine is President Joe Biden’s fault, and quite a few Republican lawmakers are taking that position, too. Trump also says Russian President Vladimir Putin is being “smart” in invading. Wouldn’t it be nice to know what Republican lawmakers think about that? Do they agree with their leader, or is that where they start to distance themselves from him?

According to Punchbowl’s Thursday newsletter, “An extraordinary situation has unfolded in recent days as Trump has lashed out at Biden and praised Putin. There’s nothing like this in U.S. history as far as we can remember. The Republican leadership and senior ranks of the party have basically ignored Trump on this issue, and they’ll continue to do so.”

First off, while Republican leadership has ignored Trump’s praise of Putin, they have echoed his attacks on Biden. Secondly, maybe, just a thought here, but maybe they shouldn’t get to ignore the inconvenient parts of what Trump says.

House Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik got her leadership position by sucking up to Trump and taking advantage of Rep. Liz Cheney’s refusal to be quiet about Trump’s role in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. Her individual statement on the invasion of Ukraine follows Trump in taking a blame-Biden-first approach, railing against him as “weak, feckless, and unfit” for a long paragraph before turning to Putin more briefly. But she departs from Trump when she describes Putin as a “gutless, bloodthirsty, authoritarian dictator” and a “war criminal and deranged thug.”

It seems like it’s time for Stefanik to be asked what she thinks about Trump’s description of Putin as “smart” and “savvy” and “genius,” specifically in his Ukraine strategy. And it’s time for the traditional media to say it outright when Republicans follow Trump’s lead on attacking Biden over Putin’s actions.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode (either TOS or TNG, can't remember which), where an alien species had some system where when nations went to war, they would simulate it on a computer and then civilians would be picked (at random I think) to be "casualties of war" depending on the results of those sims? 

Yes.

A Taste of Armageddon (episode)

Edited by China
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Any of you guys been on Twitter today and seen all the republicans siding with Putin?  What the **** is going on?

Not that surprising. He's making the democrats look bad and that's all that matters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/23/republicans-view-putin-more-favorably-than-they-do-leading-democrats/

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Intercontinental ballistic missiles

Good luck 

Speculation on my part, but with our current ABM defense, in the event of a full scale launch, we might get some but most would get through.  The problem with ABM has always been that its easy to counter by simply using more decoy warheads.  

At minimum, every major US city would be levelled.

If you can get the MIRVs before re-entry, you have a better chance but I don't think we have this capability.

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Speculation on my part, but with our current ABM defense, in the event of a full scale launch, we might get some but most would get through.  The problem with ABM has always been that its easy to counter by simply using more decoy warheads.  

At minimum, every major US city would be levelled.

If you can get the MIRVs before re-entry, you have a better chance but I don't think we have this capability.

What do you think all those Musk satellites are really for?

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Destino said:

Supporters of an autocracy/fascism tend to like other dictators 

its not like they have a large pool of friends to choose from. Other dictators are kind of all that’s left. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Had CNN on for less then 3 minutes. 

Jus wanted to see specificly what was going on and what anyone was doing about it, and instead it was a reporter trying to rip heartstrings out showing people in subway stations to hid from bombings. 

Cameras jus pointing at random kids that likely didn't speak English, the only things missing was Sarah McLachlan and some SPCA music.

Its not that I don't care, I do, have said that repeatedly, but I turned on the news to understand more specifics about the attacks and what were doing about it. If the setup was to make us feel like crap, that worked, but if the goal is to drum up public support to do something, I don't know if that's what the news should be doing, let alone that it won't work.

We didn't start sending troops in World War 2 because UK was the last democracy left in Europe and getting shelled into oblivion, their citizens also hiding in subway tunnels.  It took us getting attacked ourselves to change public opinion (not that wouldve stopped FDR from responding the way he did for bombing of pearl harbor) but the overall opinion of the country towards isolation died right then and there, total 180.

CNN has been doing a really credible job of covering this world crisis, with reporters in the heart of the action, and military experts explaining "the specifics of the attacks," as you seek.   But a big part of an unprovoked assault on an innocent populace is the effect the violence has on the people.  Your post about CNN's coverage of families hunkered down in subway stations sounds pretty ****ing callous and, frankly, diminishes my respect for you as a poster on Extremeskins and as a human being.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

This is the 2020 GOP candidate for Senate in Delaware:

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

That is great if it is true but who will Russia take out it’s retribution on?

That's a tough question.

Anonymous, from what I've read. Is extremely decentralized and not like many other APTs that are not only based in a certain country but abided by that country's government (basically given safe harbor).  

This was what Biden was calling out Russia on after the pipeline acts.

But because Anonymous is decentralized and not given "safe habor" from any government that we know of, it's likely Russia will try to hunt down individual members.

The argument can be made that because they briefly "broke up" following the 2016 Election concerning internally disagreements about how to react to Trumps election and Russia involvement, that a lot of major players are American based.  Having said that, that's a huge assumption and thus a huge leap to attack us for what Anonymous is doing to them currently.

So i lean towards tracking down members, not attacking us for what Anonymous is doing.  US government has no control of Anonymous that we know and has frequently been targets of them themselves, so that wouldn't make sense to come after us for this.

Edited by Renegade7