Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

CNN has been doing a really credible job of covering this world crisis, with reporters in the heart of the action, and military experts explaining "the specifics of the attacks," as you seek.   But a big part of an unprovoked assault on an innocent populace is the effect the violence has on the people.  Your post about CNN's coverage of families hunkered down in subway stations sounds pretty ****ing callous and, frankly, diminishes my respect for you as a poster on Extremeskins and as a human being.

I see why you'd feel that way about my post and opinion of their coverage.

So go watch PBS Newshour, or Al Jezeera, or BBC, and you'll notice the difference I'm talking about. 

It doesn't not show show people in the subway, but puts more emphasis about the who, what, when, how, and what is going then the attempts to show the trauma we all know and expect to be there.  This is why I prefer to read the news instead of watching, not because the imagry gets on my nerves or bores, but I want to know exactly whats going on and what we are doing about it.

Some news sources are just way more efficient at that and not bogged down by also emphasizing what they think we want to see or more importantly will react to.  Some go further into topics CNN won't cover because they don't think we care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

ICBMs.  They actually fly over the arctic I believe.  I'm not sure of the flight time of an ICBM from the Russia to the US.  If we have the ability to shoot down Russian ICBMs, the system to do so is not public knowledge.

There are questions about how many functional ICBMs that Russia has, but most people seem to think enough to do quite a bit of damage.

From what I  understand, it only takes one nuclear warhead to ruin your whole day.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Any of you guys been on Twitter today and seen all the republicans siding with Putin?  What the **** is going on?

Well, Confederates are traitors and the Grand Oligarch’s Party is the new Confederacy.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

My theory is they are paid by him and they always side with their money. 

As old dude said, we can do this the easy way (taking Putin's $$$) or we can do it the hard way (kompromat), e.g. "Comrade Graham, please take sack of cash, or pictures and video of you vith pool boy vill mysteriously be sent to US news agencies."

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I have a question, are Russian people happy about this?  Are the troops wanting to do this as a work of passion?  I think of us after 9/11, how we wanted revenge.  Americans wanted to go to war so badly. 

Are Russian people WANTING to fight Ukraine?  Why?

There have been large anti-war demonstrations in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Given how dangerous that can be for a protestor, that’s a pretty good indication of discontent and disillusionment, at least in the metropolitan areas of Russia.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ukraine conflict: Many misleading images have been shared online

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has led to false or misleading videos and photographs being posted on social media claiming to be from the conflict.

Some of those checked by the BBC include footage from previous conflicts in Ukraine or elsewhere in the world, and images of troops on exercises.

Social media platforms such as Twitter seem to be taking a proactive role in confronting misleading content, removing several videos shown to be misleading by fact-checkers and researchers.

In the opening hours of the conflict, several videos claiming to be the Russian air force operating over Ukraine were posted and went viral on social media.

One clip, which has subsequently been deleted, shows a fighter jet flying over an urban area. It is accompanied by a caption which implies it was filmed in the current Ukraine conflict.

_123405102_0000--1.jpg

Closer inspection, however, reveals that the aircraft is an American-built F-16 Fighting Falcon, which has never been in service in either Russia or Ukraine.

A second clip shows formations of fighters and bombers flying over an urban area to the sound of air raid sirens.

_123405106_00000.jpg

Checks made by the BBC found that the footage showed preparations for a military parade flypast in 2020. The sound of an air raid siren had been dubbed over the original audio.

Another video clip claims to show Russian paratroopers landing near the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv.

It's been viewed hundreds of thousands of times on Twitter, but actually first appeared on Russian-language internet in 2016.

A fourth clip shared widely on Twitter and YouTube is labelled as showing a Russian jet being shot down over Ukraine.

_123405472_0000-self-deleted.jpg

However, BBC journalists have seen this footage before. It's a Libyan government aircraft being shot down by rebels over Benghazi in 2011.

Voices on the video can be heard celebrating in Arabic.

Some imagery does not show combat operations at all.

Footage of an explosion behind some apartment blocks claims to be from the city of Mariupol in south-eastern Ukraine.

Among those sharing the clip is the Twitter account of former Ukrainian ambassador to the US, Volodymyr Yelchenko.

Click on the link for the full article

On 2/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, Renegade7 said:

Putin was instrumental in installing a puppet government in the most powerful  superpower the world had ever seen in 2016.  Keep underestimating him if you want, I won't.

I recall the words of a friend of mine. Putin was the Russian manager of a project she lead for a certain US Company back in the 90s. She has dealt with misogynists, criminals and even murderers. While in Russia, she had her life threatened, saw a colleague assassinated and had 3 teams of bodyguards simultaneously.  Putin was the only person who ever scared her.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

There have been large anti-war demonstrations in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Given how dangerous that can be for a protestor, that’s a pretty good indication of discontent and disillusionment, at least in the metropolitan areas of Russia.  

Let's be cautious with the large term. There's been a few thousands people demonstrating against WAR, but it's not that much for a country of 144M. More than half of them are pro-Putin. Let's not mistaken here.

Regarding @China post about misinformation, I saw a vid yesterday of AAA fighting an airplane that was an A-10 Thunderbolt which was kinda weird.

I watched the clip of Trump praising Putin for being "smart" and "taking over a vast, vast land for $2 worth of sanctions."   

The shocking thing is none of the "very nice people" stood up and walked out of the speech.  None.  I don't care if you are a big shot GOP donor, but if you don't get the urge to walk out on a speech like that, you are anti-democratic and on the side of a dictatorial, military tyrant.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I watched the clip of Trump praising Putin for being "smart" and "taking over a vast, vast land for $2 worth of sanctions."   

My favorite part was that Trump said we should do the same with our southern border. 🤦‍♂️

Trump's clearly not a yUge President Polk fan. He kinda already did that. Which is why we have a southern border now instead of a western one. 🤔 

11 hours ago, tshile said:

Hell of a read. Thanks for sharing. That stuff fascinates me

Back in 2018 when USA kicked ass the Wagner mercs. There were 300 of them killed or injured in one bombing. One of them decided to testify to french journalists about Wagner and Putin.

Edited by FrFan