Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I've always maintained I don't mind Ron having final personnel decisions.  And I do think Martin Mahew has agency, I think he makes decisions and Ron delegates to him.

And I question if we had a different GM who worked for Dan (ie: not Ron) they would have made the same decision.  It would really depend on the person, and would probably depend on the relationship with Rivera.  To me it seems Mahew and Rivera work mostly as a team, and are on the same page, which I like.

Would there have been a different executive that would have said, "that 4 game win streak was fool's gold?"  I dunno.  Maybe.

It's actually baffling to me how bad the defense is vs. that stretch, because minus Collins, it's basically all the same players.  How the hell they have regressed with literally the same players on the field is completely baffling.  Collins was good in that role, but he wasn't freaking Ed Reed or anything. (I get the different position thing, but I'm not going to come up with a comp that makes positional sense...)

Letting Loanidis and Settle go didn't help,  our backups to Allen and Payne were 3rd and 4th string last year. 

• Thumb up 2

57 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Letting Loanidis and Settle go didn't help,  our backups to Allen and Payne were 3rd and 4th string last year. 

Payne played a silly amount of snaps last year so even with those guys, the coaches were choosing not to rotate them in, for whatever reason 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Conn said:

Payne played a silly amount of snaps last year so even with those guys, the coaches were choosing not to rotate them in, for whatever reason 

Some interesting facets looking at Io in particular.

1) As of right now, his contract (with us) wouldn’t fit under the cap

2) He had that beef with Mills

3) Del Rio running 1 gap

4) Mills gets fired

5) According to the win rate/double team rate SIP posted on the defensive thread, Io was performing pretty well last year and even better this year

6) Our dline depth is awful.  I do think Mathis and Wise were interesting depth pieces… terrible luck to lose them both.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Some interesting facets looking at Io in particular.

1) As of right now, his contract (with us) wouldn’t fit under the cap

2) He had that beef with Mills

3) Del Rio running 1 gap

4) Mills gets fired

5) According to the win rate/double team rate SIP posted on the defensive thread, Io was performing pretty well last year and even better this year

6) Our dline depth is awful.  I do think Mathis and Wise were interesting depth pieces… terrible luck to lose them both.

Overdrafting Mathis was a huge mistake though

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Restructuring Roullier probably means we’ll be bringing someone in soon. 

I've always felt like Roullier was a pretty good center. Interestingly, I just saw where pro football focus rates him just the 29th best center out of 36 qualifying players. That's a very crappy rating. Apparently they think he sucks.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me

7 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Why hasn’t Ron start raiding other teams practice squads for OL help?

Because he believes ,the people he has acquired ,are superior players because they have played for him .

He obviously doesn’t know NFL talent.

This is pretty much run every year. It's why we don't add many free agents, we don't trade for anybody, etc.

Interesting.  I figured William Jackson wasn't coming back next year unless he renegotiated his contract as he was on the books for 12 million of salary next year (not guaranteed+ 3 million pro rated bonus for a total cap hit of 15 million next year if they brought him back next year without renegotiating his contract. )   If they don't bring back William Jackson next year they will have 9 million dead cap (they had two void years to space out his 15 million dollar signing bonus over 5 rather than 3 years).  That sucks, but that probably is the best bet.   Big miss, because 9 million of cap room next year will probably be taken by a guy not on the team.

https://overthecap.com/player/william-jackson-iii/4737

Edited by philibusters

11 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Breaking news this morning from Kevin Sheehan on Team 980 radio- He believes Ron is going to sit William Jackson their overpaid and underperforming cornerback 

soon.  If Ron has any smarts at all he will bench this over rated free agent mistake.

27mil for 2 years ‘work’ when we cut him in the offseason. Awful.

Please draft a CB early in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Interesting.  I figured William Jackson wasn't coming back next year unless he renegotiated his contract as he was on the books for 12 million of salary next year (not guaranteed+ 3 million pro rated bonus for a total cap hit of 15 million next year if they brought him back next year without renegotiating his contract. )   If they don't bring back William Jackson next year they will have 9 million dead cap (they had two void years to space out his 15 million dollar signing bonus over 5 rather than 3 years).  That sucks, but that probably is the best bet.   Big miss, because 9 million of cap room next year will probably be taken by a guy not on the team.

https://overthecap.com/player/william-jackson-iii/4737

it's 9 mil dead cap, but 6.75 in savings.   if they cut him after June 1st, it's 3 mil dead cap and 12.75 savings.

46 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Wasnt Jackson a man press corner with the Bengals and now we use him in more zone?

If that's the case, maybe Jackson isn't the one who should be benched. Maybe Del Rio for not adjusting the scheme to fit the players or the people that brought Jackson in should be benched.

Get rid of them both. Del Rio has been frustratingly bad at times, and Jackson isn't worth what he's getting paid. 

Edited by Professor_Nutter_Butter
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, philibusters said:

But then I assume you would have a dead cap of 6 million in 2024

He’s due a roster bonus the 3rd day of the new league year, so I’d guess they cut him prior to that with the June 1 designation, which splits the dead cap over 2 years - 4.5mil dead cap hit in 2023 and another of the same in 2024.  Or that’s how I understand it.

And to whoever asked earlier, yes, up to 2 players can be designated as June 1 cuts.  At least, that’s the rule for this year, and has been for a while now IIRC.

• Like 1