Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Such a weird interpretation from Russell (read: built for clicks), to me reading those comments side by side with every other comment from coaches, FO, and players makes it clear to me that this was an emotional Irsay-driven decision. That organization can’t even all APPEAR to be on the same page about such a big move outwardly for the media, but this is supposed to make me feel worse? The stark difference makes me feel better about it all.  

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5

LOL.  Irsay has basically done everything he could to mess up the team.  The got rid of Wentz for two reasons.  He didn't get vaccinated, and those last two games.  Wasn't because of he was so bad, they didn't believe he was a leader, because he didn't get vaccinated.  And Irsay particularly, thought that it effected the team.  That others chose not to get vaccinated because if Wentz doesn't have to, then I don't either.  You are seeing now, that Frank Reich is saying Carson is like my brother, I love him, he is a great person,  Irsay the moral high ground on leadership, and example setting. Just read this from his Wiki Page.  

"On March 16, 2014, Irsay was arrested under suspicion of DUI and drug possession in Carmel, Indiana.[9][10] According to The Indianapolis Star sports columnist Bob Kravitz, Irsay had an ongoing drug problem.[11] This was highlighted when it was later revealed that Irsay's mistress, Kimberly Wundrum, had overdosed and died in a house that Irsay controversially purchased with money belonging to the Indianapolis Colts.[12][13]"

So forgive me if I don't take a single word that guys says as anything close to facts.  He made a knee jerk reaction like he always does.  He basically ruined that team.  He fired the greatest GM in the history of the NFL in Bill Polian.  And he has struggled ever since.  Had the greatest QB prospect in Andrew Luck of the last 20 years, and as the defacto GM since he fired Polian, he didn't do a thing to protect him and got him killed and lost him. 

Irsay made the move.  And Ballard and Reich are trying to be company men.  Reich says I love Carson, he's a brother to me, he is great.  He can be great.  But ummm it was unanimous to get rid of him.  It wasn't no one wanted it but Irsay, and he got what he wanted.  Everyone talks about Snyder around here.  Well Irsay is the Colts Snyder.  Thinks he is a genius and over rules his football people.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Such a weird interpretation, to me reading those comments side by side with every other comment from coaches, FO, and players makes it clear to me that this was an emotional Irsay-driven decision. That organization can’t even all APPEAR to all be on the same page about such a big move outwardly for the media, but this is supposed to make me feel worse? The stark difference makes me feel better about it all.  

It was clear at the time Ballard and Reich essentially preserved their 2022 employment by making sure Wentz was jettisoned. I’m sure many others in that position would do the same. They got lucky with Matt Ryan. Short term rest bite from the owner, can’t see it ending well.

Personally I am also feeling better about the Wentz deal. Liked it at the time, think the positive move is very underestimated.

• Like 4

I think it all can be true relating to Colts. Can get with Ballard and Reich believing Wentz could’ve done more to help Colts last season and okay with getting rid of a top 15 being paid 13% of the cap. 

Pretty clear though, if Irsay wanted Wentz to be the QB this upcoming season he would’ve been retained.

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I think it all can be true relating to Colts. Can get with Ballard and Reich believing Wentz could’ve done more to help Colts last season and okay with getting rid of a top 15 being paid 13% of the cap. 

Pretty clear though, if Irsay wanted Wentz to be the QB this upcoming season he would’ve been retained.

Also shows how much goodwill you get from being successful over a few years. Colts get benefit of the doubt and we take criticism. If our records over the years were reversed, it would be viewed the opposite. Also, Matt Ryan willing to go to the Colts based on their success last few years.

Seeing Reich’s comments about how it was unanimous, over and over, was really weird too. Almost like he had marching orders to get people to stop talking about how Irsay wanted him gone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It cannot all be true, though. Irsay is making it sound like things in that locker room were a total mess, when the people actually in that locker room say otherwise. The non-football issues with Wentz were obviously all coming from Irsay. There are football issues that are fair criticism, and those can be true of course. But Irsay is going out of his way to assassinate this dude’s character because the reality is that he spent most of the season as a very good football player and despite that, Irsay now needs to justify why he’s gone because he threw an extended tantrum as owner. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It was clear at the time Ballard and Reich essentially preserved their 2022 employment by making sure Wentz was jettisoned. I’m sure many others in that position would do the same. They got lucky with Matt Ryan. Short term rest bite from the owner, can’t see it ending well.

Personally I am also feeling better about the Wentz deal. Liked it at the time, think the positive move is very underestimated.

I hope it, in some way, motivates Wentz to play like an MVP here in DC. We need him to be great.

8 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I will say a backfield of Gibson, Guice, and mckissic would be an extremely well balanced RB group and I would argue would be one of the most talent backfields in the league and when you combine them with Wentz arm and the speed on the outside in the PA game could potentially make the Offense very dangerous

It would be interesting if RR picked up the phone and was the first to call Guice to see how he was doing and to get a feel for where his head is. Can it hurt to bring him to camp in the Spring and see how he looks? I recall Guice having his best game in the NFL against RR in Carolina.....I'm sure RR remembers that too. Guice had some Beast Mode in him before the **** hit the fan in his life....if people deserve a second chance then why not here as opposed to somewhere like Philly, Dallas or NYG??????

I haven't seen a post saying that RR and Co. are signing Guice back to the team.  He was released I believe and I don't think he would fit in with the culture of player that RR and Co. want on the team.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

It was just on Mayos snap count overall and last couple of games, but someone had already posted the stats earlier so I deleted. 

Gotcha. Yeah, I get the snap count thing. Just going by what Coach said and making sure I didn't say anything stupid.

Edited by Koolblue13
I'm an idiot.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

It would be interesting if RR picked up the phone and was the first to call Guice to see how he was doing and to get a feel for where his head is. Can it hurt to bring him to camp in the Spring and see how he looks? I recall Guice having his best game in the NFL against RR in Carolina.....I'm sure RR remembers that too. Guice had some Beast Mode in him before the **** hit the fan in his life....if people deserve a second chance then why not here as opposed to somewhere like Philly, Dallas or NYG??????

No.  If for no other reason than he was hurt basically all the time.  The off the field stuff is troubling.  But the fact he couldn’t stay in the field kindof disqualifies him as well.  

I have a lot of time and respect for Coach Rivera…

Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is frustrated, and understandably so.

At the NFL owner’s meetings, Rivera expressed his frustrations on the franchise often being the target of bad news. “Quite honestly I’m tired of it, I really am,” Rivera said via John Keim of ESPN.

“But the only way to fix it is winning, and that’s the truth.”

No doubt, Rivera must be tired of hearing about the inappropriate culture at Ashburn, prior to his arrival. But also following his arrival, his first Washington football team was called the uh, lame, “Washington Football Team.” His owner in February was accused on national television of inappropriately touching a woman not his wife. After the allegations, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced another investigation into the sexual climate of the franchise. 

I feel for Ron Rivera, I really do. No one would want the past to continually be brought up in your face, when you are attempting to change the culture yourself since your arrival in 2020.

Coach Ron has been here two years, but I must ask, how does he think we feel? I have been following the franchise passionately since the 1969 season.

I grew up watching George Allen have winning years in each of his seven seasons (1971-77). Joe Gibbs made us proud to be Washington fans, during his tenure (1981-1992) coach Joe had one losing season in 12 years! In those years, Coach Joe experienced eight playoff births, five NFC title games, four Super Bowl appearances and three Super Bowl championships.

In the 29 seasons that have followed, Washington has only been to the playoffs six times (1999, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2015, 2020). And Gibbs came back for a four-year stint and led Washington to two of those playoff appearances.

I’m tired of the franchise for the past 29 seasons having 18 losing seasons. I’m tired of the franchise for the past 29 seasons winning only two playoff games.

I’m tired of the owner having meddled in signing overpriced, unmotivated free agents, disrespecting the football scouts, coaches and front office to draft a quarterback because his son went to the same high school.

I’m tired of the owner creating a culture that runs off entirely too many good hard-working employees on the business side, being an embarrassment for the sexually inappropriate culture he did nothing to eliminate. And now I am tired of hearing he himself may have inappropriately touched Tiffani Johnston.

I believe Ron Rivera is sincerely tired of his two years with the team. How much more must many of us be tired after the last 29 years?

Plus if we ever have to throw hands, all take Rivera. 

Edited by sebestian
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It's really hard to take anything Irsay says as serious.  The guy is a train wreck.

Colts haven't won a game in Jax since 2014, so that worst team owns the Colts, no matter who is playing QB which they've proved by changing the spot every year for 6 straight years.

• Like 1

The media is full of what Irsay says and they crucify Wentz as trash. I'm sorry, you want to argue about him being clutch or not fair game. But in no world is 27 TDs with 7 INTs ever close to trash in the NFL. They all ignore the support from former teammates while the say he is a horrible leader and no one liked him. They bring up Irsays comments to prove how bad Wentz is and that Reich gave up on him while ignoring Reichs comments that are glowing. For some reason they have nothing to say about the owner being so vocal and involved, it's okay for Irsay to do? Wentz is going to make them all look like fools and he doesn't even have to playing amazing to do so with how they are all talking. 

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1