Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

21 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Seahawks, Panthers, and Falcons...

giphy.gif

Falcons just signed Mariota. I strongly believe they will then use their top 10 pick on a QB and it is very likely Willis if he is still there (Willis is from the area)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

What's happening with Baker Mayfield. Kinda of surprised Colts didn't go after him. 

Colts already went the reclamation project route with Wentz.  They're looking for a plug and play QB like Ryan or Jimmy G.  Matt makes a lot of sense for them.  They're in win now mode.  

Edited by drowland
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle
4 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

We need a thread just to keep track of it.

C. Wentz: IND --> Washington
R. Wilson: SEA --> DEN
D. Watson: HOU --> CLE
M. Ryan: ATL --> IND (rumored)
B. Mayfield: CLE --> TBD
J. Garrappolo: SF --> TBD
S. Darnold: CAR --> Unemployed probably.

Darnold's in his 5th year option year that's fully guaranteed.  I don't see the Panthers or any team releasing him and eating $18M.

3 minutes ago, drowland said:

Darnold's in his 5th year option year that's fully guaranteed.  I don't see the Panthers or any team releasing him and eating $18M.

They aren't going to release him but they will use him as a backup, kind of what we did with RG3 during his fifth year option year. There is no way in hell Rhule goes into a make or break year for himself with Darnold as his starter

3 minutes ago, method man said:

They aren't going to release him but they will use him as a backup, kind of what we did with RG3 during his fifth year option year. There is no way in hell Rhule goes into a make or break year for himself with Darnold as his starter

No we benched RGIII year 4 so he wouldn't get injured which would make his 5th year guaranteed.  They changed the rule on 5th year options.  Once it's picked up it's guaranteed.  You can't release them prior to the new league year and get out of it anymore.  So Darnold's paid for this year healthy or not.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, drowland said:

Colts already went the reclamation project route with Wentz.  They're looking for a plug and play QB like Ryan or Jimmy G.  Matt makes a lot of sense for them.  They're in win now mode.  

I think it's at least debatable who's the better QB in 2022 though.  Ryan just doesn't come with the baggage Baker does.  And having just gone from wanting to dump Wentz, a solid non-controversial option like Ryan surely was more appealing.  

35 minutes ago, drowland said:

They already went the Matt ryan route with Philip rivers too.

No guarantee it works the second time around either.

Next year it's going to be so much fun seeing which quarterback switches work and which crash and burn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They already went the Matt ryan route with Philip rivers too.

No guarantee it works the second time around either.

Next year it's going to be so much fun seeing which quarterback switches work and which crash and burn.

Ryan has more left in his arm then Rivers did.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think it's at least debatable who's the better QB in 2022 though.  Ryan just doesn't come with the baggage Baker does.  And having just gone from wanting to dump Wentz, a solid non-controversial option like Ryan surely was more appealing.  

I think Ballard prefers taller QBs as well.  6-4/6-5 not 6-0.

1 minute ago, drowland said:

Ryan has more left in his arm then Rivers did.

Nobody ever knows that for sure.

Rivers had a lot left in his arm, until the year he didn't. 

Matt is a couple years younger than Rivers was so it's slightly different but it's still very similar. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Not the same situation. You can't say someone "found" thier solution when they jsut kept the proven they already had LOL  You can't really be serious there.

Sure I can

GB didn't know Rodgers was playing for them next year. Now they do. Ditto w/ BradyBucs and others.

We live in a world were teams with massive question marks surrounding their QB roles around the NFL were filled by Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Ryan and more all in the same offseason. That is certainly gonna weight on how teams view their teams situation and how we view our own.

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Never understood this argument as pertains to justifying Wentz.

If you see your choices for dinner as only crap brand ramen noodles, and other crap brand ramen noodles, are you supposed to take joy that your taking home crap brand ramen noodles #3? B/c they might be slightly less crappy?

Your still eating garbage for dinner.

If you like the move, cool beans, but if the basis of thinking this is a good move is because it was the best of a bad situation and there were no good options available... your celebrating being in a poor situation. That stance only acknowledges there were no good options and thus the route we took was... bad.

Does not add up to me.

There are some here (maybe many) that don't see him as garbage at all.  Because he was not the best available doesn't make him garbage.

In fact, our hope springs from the fact that as a QB talent, he's not garbage.  The question is "Is he garbage as a person?" and IMO that is still to be determined.

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Never understood this argument as pertains to justifying Wentz.

If you see your choices for dinner as only crap brand ramen noodles, and other crap brand ramen noodles, are you supposed to take joy that your taking home crap brand ramen noodles #3? B/c they might be slightly less crappy?

Your still eating garbage for dinner.

If you like the move, cool beans, but if the basis of thinking this is a good move is because it was the best of a bad situation and there were no good options available... your celebrating being in a poor situation. That stance only acknowledges there were no good options and thus the route we took was... bad.

Does not add up to me.

There are some here (maybe many) that don't see him as garbage at all.  Because he was not the best available doesn't make him garbage.

In fact, our hope springs from the fact that as a QB talent, he's not garbage.  The question is "Is he garbage as a person?" and IMO that is still to be determined.

2 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Its not an open ended question to the people with that belief.

It is a philosophical question to anyone who makes the debate of "there were no good options" and then continues to proclaim Wentz a good option.

It is probably one of if not the leading argument I have seen on here, but it ignores that If you acknowledge there are no good options, Wentz can not himself be a good option.

If people want to argue Wentz merits, there are certainly better ways to do it, but A lot of what I am seeing is people telling me nothing good was available on one hand, yet we locked in good QB on the other.

Just seems contradictory.

1 hour ago, drowland said:

The Colts Owner was behind the Wentz trade.  It's clear now that he didn't have any locker room issues and that was perpetrated by the owner and his media team. 

As for 'the Colts are in win now mode', that isn't exactly true...they're in 'Not Loose Now Mode'. That's not good for more than a playoff birth. That team has more issues than QB with Matt Ryan managing the game. The owner wants a game manager, someone more conservative that won't loose games, not win games. We're talking about a guy like Alex Smith.  The contracts for Wentz vs Ryan are so close they're muted. Differences are in the type of QB you're getting and their style of play, clearly. Their individual playing styles are polar opposites.

WSH already knows what QB game manager results look like and that's not good enough.  Wentz is a strong armed QB who can toss over the top, on a line type balls all around the field. This is dangerous for opposing DC's to defend for 4 Qtrs and opens up what they do well on the ground in their offensive scheme. We haven't been able to see what the Scott Turner offense actually looks like because of limitations at QB and WR.  Now, he has nearly all the pieces to the puzzle. By the end of the draft the should have all the pieces they need to actually run all the plays that Scott Turner has wanted to call at any given moment in each game.  Taking the Wentz trade was an easy move in comparison to Ryan or Jimmy GQ.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think playing the schedule thing is way overblown.  First of all, it's only a 3 game difference to the rest of the division.  

Oh yeah?....this year the Eagles got the Lions and Jets while we had to go to Buffalo and Green Bay.....that's not overblown, that's two easy wins for one team and two almost certain losses for the other. Only a 3 game difference to the rest of the division????? As if that's easy to make up? It's a big factor and RR has said so himself in the past. Had we gotten to play Detroit and NYJ while the Eagles had to go to Buffalo and GB we make the playoffs and they don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Nobody ever knows that for sure.

Rivers had a lot left in his arm, until the year he didn't. 

Matt is a couple years younger than Rivers was so it's slightly different but it's still very similar. 

Matt Ryan has never been considered as a strong armed QB. His arm strength is average and stats clearly show that and even more in the last few years.

27 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its not an open ended question to the people with that belief.

It is a philosophical question to anyone who makes the debate of "there were no good options" and then continues to proclaim Wentz a good option.

It is probably one of if not the leading argument I have seen on here, but it ignores that If you acknowledge there are no good options, Wentz can not himself be a good option.

If people want to argue Wentz merits, there are certainly better ways to do it, but A lot of what I am seeing is people telling me nothing good was available on one hand, yet we locked in good QB on the other.

Just seems contradictory.

I'll have to take your word that people are saying Wentz is bad but good for Washington.  I haven't read many posts.  I agree that it doesn't make sense.