Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

With a QB who can place the ball on him in tight windows Simms is gonna be big for us this year. Dosen't run away from guys but can win and has some good open field skills. I'm excited for him this year. Never understood all the Simms haters. The guy is pretty damn good.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Of the WRs we should have signed back, Sims was the guy. Towards the end of the year I thought Carter started to struggle as a returner ( am I misremembering that?) 

I would think one of the OH State WRs is in play at 11 if there’s no trade back

Should be interesting to see what they do at WR.

According to the beat guys they (sounds like Turner) likes Dyami and think he will be much better next season and they liked how he improved towards the end.  And they expect Samuel to be healthy.  As for Cam, I recall one who covers the team said the thing with him is route running where he's not always trusted on that -- I mentioned this years back hearing a really weird interview with Cam in one sense when he was asked about route running and he said something odd about it, where he played it down, don't recall exactly what he said now but I recall him saying see the ball catch the ball. But other than that, Cam can make some great catches and YAC.

Still IMO we need another WR.  I don't want to bank on everything going right even though its possible it will.  Great draft for WRs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Unless we’re planning on drafting a great MLB or WR2 early, this is shaping up to be a pretty disappointing offseason (Wentz trade with the exception)

Would not at all be surprised to see Dean or Lloyd at 11

I got pelted with salt mackerel, rotten cabbage, and "bathroom waste materials" by some of you after I strongly advocated for resigning Cam Simms.

Now I feel vindicated!

I said it before and now I will say it again with pride and gusto: "If Cam Simms is featured in the passing attack, with stout armed Carson Wentz throwing to him, he will terrorize the third string cornerbacks that attempt to cover him and he will be a breakout star for the 'Manders."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

What kills me about this is I get QBs get cost money and trading for one could take a lot of cap space, but it appears that we are so bad at managing the cap and roster right now that even if we had a good one from get go, we still couldn't put a team around him to win a ring. 

Maybe I'm jus frustrated and speaking out loud, but I do not like this at all, it makes zero sense being in this position right now and not having a playoff win since 2005. Zero sense.

The management of the cap has been one of the highlights of this regime. Very little manipulating of contracts to lessen hits for the present day. The flexibility available to the team to “go all in” on for a future window is available.

Acquiring a QB with 28mil cap hit in the middle of the off season and it not impacting present or future plans much at all is significant.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually actively DON'T want this.  I don't want there to be any reason to stay a run-first or even run-balanced team.  Apart from the Titans, no team currently is able to do that with success. Even the Colts, with Wentz, which had either the best or second best running game in the league and a good defense couldn't make the playoffs playing that style of offense.

I want them to load up on speed, spread teams out, and sling the ball all over the field.  Then they can be creative with the running game off of that.  I'm not suggesting they SHOULDN'T run the ball, they should, but they shouldn't try to be a "manhood issue" run the ball up the gut type of team which they became halfway through last season.  

Think about the way the "Greatest show on Turf" Rams used Faulk, or the early Peyton Manning Colt's used James.  

Both teams could run the hell out of the ball.  But they weren't "straight ahead - power running" teams.  They used a lot of stretch-zone and draws which complemented the pass games perfectly.

Now, I'll grant you, Faulk and James are Hall of Famers.  And a big reason the teams COULD run those style of offenses is because of how good they were.  And we don't have that.  

But, I think that's the mold they should be looking for.  

I do agree they do need another back, and another back who can run with power.  But Gibson can already run with some power.  

Hitching an argument onto Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James/Faulk is never a bad way to go lol. Faulk is the best RB I’ve ever watched, just throwing that out there. 

Those offenses were ahead of their times and benefited because of it. They also experienced great struggles in the playoffs for many reasons beyond my recollection, but lacking a run game was an issue. Brady and company relied/prioritized running the football and embraced it as an identity. Rams and Colts lacked physicality (power run game) and it hurt them against better opponents and in the post season especially. 

Justin Herbert threw for 5,000 yards and the Chargers didn’t make the playoffs ;) I don’t disagree having an elite QB lead your passing offense is going to produce better than an average QB spearheading a run oriented offense. 

28 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The fact that re-signing Cam Sims is a semi big deal tells you all you need to know about the state of the team’s weapons. Not good enough at all. 

Still a ways to go this off season. This type of signing is encouraging as far as team building and development. It’s time to produce a winning season though. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Random thought: I wonder if this type of player ever makes the transition to being a 3rd down back. With the continued direction of the game, less physical and the second level smaller in size (weight) it seems opportunities to do this are there. I’d much rather have an elite short game route runner with average run ability on third downs. We are seeing WRs run the ball at MUCH higher rate these days than in years past, doesn’t seem too crazy. 

Said here first, Humphries as a third down back. Do it! Lol

Edit: Pass pro I guess matters to not get the QB wrecked lol. Forgot this angle while thinking I had idea that would revolutionize the third down role lol

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

Just checked web for best available free agents. Lists Honey Badger as still available...I could have sworn I saw a snippet saying he was signed yesterday. Him and Bobby Wagner are atop my list. Add maybe Daryl Williams as a jack of all trades lineman with starting potential

Edited by bowhunter

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This issue as per the reporting is that Cowboys and Gregory had a deal and the Cowboys came back several times with changes AFTER they had an agreement. It was not him rejecting the initial terms. They had an agreement but then the Cowboys keep changing the terms. The Broncos made an offer and kept to it.  That is not dealing in good faith. That may turn out to not be true, but that's the way it was reported yesterday. 

The updated reports say that he got mad about a clause saying the team has the option to reduce guaranteed cash if the league disciplines him.  He threw a fit about it and signed elsewhere without further discussion.  Funny part is, it is actually standard language in all Dallas contracts, not even specific to Gregory.  So, I kind of feel like the Cowboys dodged a bullet.  The guy is a head case.  One day he may play enough games in a season to beat his career best six sack season, but it won't be with Dallas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Just checked web for best available free agents. Lists Honey Badger as still available...I could have sworn I saw a snippet saying he was signed yesterday. Him and Bobby Wagner are atop my list

Tyrann is looking for a huge contract, I don't think Rivera and Co. will break the bank for him. I am interested in Bobby Wagner though, at 31 he can still ball out but we need to bring him in for the right price.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Just checked web for best available free agents. Lists Honey Badger as still available...I could have sworn I saw a snippet saying he was signed yesterday. Him and Bobby Wagner are atop my list

"...Him (Honey Badger) and Bobby Wagner are atop my list..."

I agree with you if, by "list", you mean the list of players the 'Manders will not be signing during free agency. 😉

No chance we are players for those two. Their demands price us out of the running even if they were interested in coming here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"...Him (Honey Badger) and Bobby Wagner are atop my list..."

I agree with you if, by "list", you mean the list of players the 'Manders will not be signing during free agency. 😉

No chance we are players for those two. Their demands price us out of the running even if they were interested in coming here.

I agree about the Badger, Would be a great addition and certainly would infuse a little flexibility and energy into our D, but I don't think RR is looking for top shelf help in the secondary. However, I'm not sure if B.Wags should be taken off the wish list quite yet. I have no solid data supporting this theory, but I do think RR acknowledges the gaping hole in the middle of our D, and the importance of good LB play

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yeh all sounds lovely, but then he doesn't really play and of a season doesn't really produce, so what's the point?

And I don't doubt he has a level of ability, I'm not saying he's awful im just saying if we're looking to progress in the Wide Receiver department Cam Sims clearly isn't the answer to that with a 4 year sample size to back that up

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1