Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m sick of relying on injury prone people. See, we can both be sick. It’s the Commander way.

I'm sick of wanting to throw people away to soon.

2021 was a freak year for Samuel

• Like 2

Samuel is a good piece, however we need more playmakers.  We have a deep threat hopefully in Dynami Brown, that's a huge question mark however since potential doesn't equal production. We have one receiver who has produced for our offense in Terry. Our second leading receiver last year was McKissic. To say we are good and bury our head in the sand is irresponsible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrJL said:

We better draft a WR, a good one. TM hasn’t signed his deal yet, Samuel has 2 years left and was a nothing burger last year. D Brown was also a nothing burger, too expensive to pay these FAs… draft a stud prospect 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Im curious… why do you think getting another receiver means throwing away either of those two? Most teams have multiple contributors at receiver… well the good ones anyways. And injuries happen. 

And… what happens if Samuel stays injured and Brown doesn’t make a huge leap? No backup plan? Just McLaurin and Humphries?

Both of them can be contributors even with a new shiny receiver.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The Jags spending spree makes me wonder....which spree were you most excited about at the time?

2000 - old vets

2003 - JetSkins

2004 - Gibbs first year

2006 -  Randel El, Aarchuleta, Lloyd

mine was 2000, because I actually thought we were going to win the Superbowl.

Man I was pumped about that 2006-07 years.  All we needed was a “tall” WR…. Which didn’t pan out with Anthony Mix.  Too bad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We better draft a WR, a good one. TM hasn’t signed his deal yet, Samuel has 2 years left and was a nothing burger last year. D Brown was also a nothing burger, too expensive to pay these FAs… draft a stud prospect 

I think I agree with your point, why count on Samuel and Brown both next year when neither showed much at all this season? Don't risk that they may bomb again and protect yourself by getting one of the best WR's in the draft. If they all pan out then we have a situation like the Bengals do. More talent at WR should equate to more points and more room for Gibson to run. Add to the defense in FA and draft defense where you can in the draft.

• Like 2

I don't believe the front office when they say they haven't tabbed adding a playmaker at wide receiver as a priority.  Our lack of weapons last year was obvious.  I think them speaking confidently about our current group is the right thing to do but no doubt in my mind we add a significant piece at wr before the season starts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have two kickers right now. I don’t know what that means but as of this moment there are two. And it sounds like they plan on getting Slye to stay beyond the RFA expiration if the beat guys are on point. 

Who needs LBs and S’s and Receivers when you have two kickers, amirite?

Since when have you been promoting WSH to sign a LBer? Is this a new thing?

• Haha 5

We are somewhat limited in free agency due to the cap and because we need to reupp Terry and some of our defensive players. I still think we may sign a mlb in free agency but not in the first wave of free agency. I think we wait to see who may get cut after the draft. Middle backer will be less expensive than signing any wideout. Plus mlb is not as important a position if our line plays better and because everyone plays more nickel packages. 

I suppose we may draft one but I think it’s easier to find a receiver in the draft. I prefer someone with some height someone who can get the contested passes. Wentz liked throwing to Alshon and Pittman both taller receivers. Give me a Burks (6’3)  or Landon (6’5) to pair w Terry (6’0) and Samuels (6’0). 

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have two kickers right now. I don’t know what that means but as of this moment there are two. And it sounds like they plan on getting Slye to stay beyond the RFA expiration if the beat guys are on point. 

Who needs LBs and S’s and Receivers when you have two kickers, amirite?

Sounds like someones forgetting that J.Slye was also a standout Linebacker is HS, and now his biceps are even bigger. I think at this rate we can expect to see him pushing Holcomb to the outside. Two birds/one stone

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Based on what Trubisky got from Pittsburgh we must've really valued Wentz since we're paying him 28 mil for one year and gave up various assets while Trubisky cost the Steelers zero assets and half of Wentz contract while getting a 2nd year out of him. I think I said this right?

Yes we are. We are trying to win the SB this year since we have been really close the last two years. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Im curious… why do you think getting another receiver means throwing away either of those two? Most teams have multiple contributors at receiver… well the good ones anyways. And injuries happen. 

And… what happens if Samuel stays injured and Brown doesn’t make a huge leap? No backup plan? Just McLaurin and Humphries?

Both of them can be contributors even with a new shiny receiver.

Because I don't  you can afford to have that much invested in what should be your fourth or fifth option.  Like it feels to me like your ideal list of targets for the QB would be McLaurin 1, Samuel 2, Thomas 3.  Then you've got your back, your third receiver, your second TE, and who's the 4 and 5 option depends on the formation and the play call

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Not gonna lie, I miss the days of Redskins One.   Even though it rarely worked

That's because at least the off season was exciting...they were good at something, even if dumb.  Now we just settle for hoping one day something good happens in perpetuity. 

Just now, MrJL said:

Because I don't  you can afford to have that much invested in what should be your fourth or fifth option.  Like it feels to me like your ideal list of targets for the QB would be McLaurin 1, Samuel 2, Thomas 3.  Then you've got your back, your third receiver, your second TE, and who's the 4 and 5 option depends on the formation and the play call

Thomas is starting the year on IR. Our second lead receiver was McKissick. We need a big possession receiver and have for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The Jags spending spree makes me wonder....which spree were you most excited about at the time?

2000 - old vets

2003 - JetSkins

2004 - Gibbs first year

2006 -  Randel El, Aarchuleta, Lloyd

mine was 2000, because I actually thought we were going to win the Superbowl.

I think Gibbs first year was the only one I actually liked.  2000 I disliked every  signing but Smith

21 minutes ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

I’m going to completely lose my cookies if this team goes defense in the first round for the 6th time in 7 years

I’d have a bucket ready then :)

I actually think receiver is our best bet, but considering 1) we need a fs, mlb, corner and could even use a DT (highly doubtful we go that route though) and 2) since I see no chance we go rb/te in the 1st, doubt we look at oline, and it’s probably a very slim chance we go for a qb… odds are pretty good we go defense.

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thomas is starting the year on IR. Our second lead receiver was McKissick. We need a big possession receiver and have for years. 

I'd be shocked if Thomas started the year on IR. Possible, but people are really inflating ACL injuries. Serious injuries for sure, but it's not like you can't be on the field 9 months later. It might take close to a year to be at 100%, but Thomas at 90% can still be effective.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't believe the front office when they say they haven't tabbed adding a playmaker at wide receiver as a priority.  Our lack of weapons last year was obvious.  I think them speaking confidently about our current group is the right thing to do but no doubt in my mind we add a significant piece at wr before the season starts.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Sometimes I do not understand if people understand the art of negotiating.  You say you are extremely happy with our receiving core.  That does two things, one if a team wants to trade up in the draft for a WR maybe Washington is a team I should call.  #2, lets say that you simply cant get any WR that you try to get, and you have to go into the season with  the guys you have, how do you think those receivers are going to feel if you say "we have to upgrade our receiving unit".  

I think that they know what they are doing.  I will reserve judgement on the FA from a macro perspective.  One day does not make a FA class if you will.  Smokescreen to try and illicit a trade in the draft and keeping our guys confident.  Its smart business.

Just my opinion.