Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Just a quick question buddy, but do the agent's always tell the truth about the offer from other teams, or can they tell Washington a figure not really put on the table by an other team. 

I was just thinking the same thing.  If I am the agent I am definitely adding a few points.  However, I guess you would not get anyh deals done for your clients if the leauge finds out, more specifically GM s around the league.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The "we're not making an offer yet" says to me "we are holding massive cap space until we know our QB situation" which keeps the Wilson/Carr hope alive.

JD and McCain wont be getting deals that would be influenced by a major move at QB. Both would be getting relatively low level contracts in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

JD and McCain wont be getting deals that would be influenced by a major move at QB. Both would be getting relatively low level contracts in my opinion.

If you're right, I would expect both deals to be done within the next few days, if not I would think they are asking for money our front office are not happy to pay. 

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

If you're right, I would expect both deals to be done within the next few days, if not I would think they are asking for money our front office are not happy to pay. 

I wouldn’t think the deals are getting done, Mayhew said they can test the FA market first.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Rodgers wants 50mil. Russ and Carr probably the same or close. If it's QB or bust and we won't know what's happening until FA, it's possible they're keeping the runway open. It's just a guess. I am hoping for big swings at both positions. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I find that line a bit odd..”we aren’t ready to make an offer right now but we do want them back”.

Offer them what you would like to pay them. What you think they are worth. They either sign or they choose to look elsewhere first. 

It’s kinda explained in the paragraph above. They don’t want to throw a number out there for the player to use as a starting point with another team. Thus pushing the price up if WSH want to counter. They aren’t going to accept a deal from WSH this close to FA anyway. 

9 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

It’s kinda explained in the paragraph above. They don’t want to throw a number out there for the player to use as a starting point with another team. Thus pushing the price up if WSH want to counter. They aren’t going to accept a deal from WSH this close to FA anyway. 

I get that, but we aren’t talking about 10mil per year deals. Neither player should be getting more than 2 or 3 mil a year offers on very short term deals from us anyway.

McCain is a back up/marginal starter, JD is an important piece on offense but I’d draft a RB before giving him more that 2/3 mil per year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I get that, but we aren’t talking about 10mil per year deals. Neither player should be getting more than 2 or 3 mil a year offers on very short term deals from us anyway.

McCain is a back up/marginal starter, JD is an important piece on offense but I’d draft a RB before giving him more that 2/3 mil per year.

totally agree. I just think every penny counts to the team. Let them come back to you with a number from another team and decide if you want to top it. But don’t negotiate against yourself by making the first offer when they are going to test the market anyway. 

• Like 2

Just now, UK Skins said:

Really surprised/disappointed about McKissick, there was a night and day difference to our offense when he was playing. Thought he would have been the first player re-signed

We still might. He's a big locker room guy too from what I've read.

Gibson is a bigger faster 3rd down back IMO, so having both of those guys is a luxury. 

I would imagine a QB move would be coming in the next week or so. We obviously have a plan for FA, but if we are trading for and/or paying big $$ to a veteran, that'll greatly impact what we can do in free agency.

My guess is if there was a deal to be made it would have been made by now. Past deals would have been announced already at this point in the off-season.

Jimmy G will get moved at some point, but maybe not until after the FA dust settles, The 49ers aren't going to expect much given the injury, etc.

I think unless something changes drastically in the next week (maybe with Watson) ... we are probably going into FA with a plan to land a veteran QB, LB and maybe a Safety

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would imagine a QB move would be coming in the next week or so. We obviously have a plan for FA, but if we are trading for and/or paying big $$ to a veteran, that'll greatly impact what we can do in free agency.

My guess is if there was a deal to be made it would have been made by now. Past deals would have been announced already at this point in the off-season.

Jimmy G will get moved at some point, but maybe not until after the FA dust settles, The 49ers aren't going to expect much given the injury, etc.

I think unless something changes drastically in the next week (maybe with Watson) ... we are probably going into FA with a plan to land a veteran QB, LB and maybe a Safety

I think we definitely sign a safety.  I’d be willing to bet we also sign (or re-sign) a back, corner, a receiver and probably offer a tender for Ismael and Wise (or just sign a C and DT?).  I’m guessing they return Rotimi as well, but maybe not with Toney, JSW and Bradley-King in the fold.

Free Agents:

Safety - McCain and Apke 

Back - McKissick and Williams 

Corner - DJ, Roberts and Elder 

Receiver - Humphries, Sims and Carter 

C - Ismael is an ERFA and I think Larsen is an UFA

DT - Wise is an ERFA, Settle and I think Bada (and another?) 

I’m probably missing more from those groups…

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm not worried about the Cap figure, 30m in credit atm, with players we can cut, trade and rework there contract which could save us 30m at least. Plus there is a chance if we traded for say Wilson we could give him a new deal straight away and get a cap figure that is low for his 1st year. The cap is going to soar in the next few years as well. 

14 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Really surprised/disappointed about McKissick, there was a night and day difference to our offense when he was playing. Thought he would have been the first player re-signed

I'll be extremely disappointed if they let him walk. This might be a Chris Thompson situation 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Couple of Guards we could go for if we're not happy with Schweitzer starting are Austin Corbett (LAR), and Connor Williams (Cowboys) both expected to fetch between 7/10m per year. I like Schweitzer but don't know if Rivera and Co would be happy with him as a backup. 

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Couple of Guards we could go for if we're not happy with Schweitzer starting are Austin Corbett (LAR), and Connor Williams (Cowboys) both expected to fetch between 7/10m per year. I like Schweitzer but don't know if Rivera and Co would be happy with him as a backup. 

Thoughts? 

I like a couple of the available guards, Glowinski and Tomlinson.

Interestingly Rivera stated at the combine that he feels we have the pieces in place to protect the QB, and give the QB weapons to work with. Perhaps that means Flowers and Schweitzer are set to be starting guards. 

Personally I think we need to consider an addition at tackle. 

13 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think we definitely sign a safety. 

Agree.

I think the decision to let McCain test the opening market is an indication that we initially intend to go after one of the top FA safeties. If we bag one of those, McCain becomes a depth signing if he can’t get hooked up elsewhere.

Wonder if the same applies at RB ? Do you think there is a workhorse RB we would target to pair with Gibson? 

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In a podcast I listented to the talk was DeAndre Carter's agent is asking for some suprisingly big money (if I recall that was in a Kiem podcast talking to a WR reporter) and the team and him are far apart.

Based on the apparent depth of talent at WR in the draft, spending significant money on a #3 to #5/6 receivers isn’t happening. 

I would certainly spend on someone who could drop in as our #2 alongside Terry. Or draft one high if we sort QB out. But depth receivers and return guys look abundant in the draft right now.

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Based on the apparent depth of talent at WR in the draft, spending significant money on a #3 to #5/6 receivers isn’t happening. 

I would certainly spend on someone who could drop in as our #2 alongside Terry. Or draft one high if we sort QB out. But depth receivers and return guys look abundant in the draft right now.

Agree. I've not been thinking they'd sign a FA WR or at least not one for major money, I've said that on and off on the draft thread. Terry obviously has to get paid.  Samuel was paid. I don't think you can pay big money for three guys.

Only wildcard is if Dallas releases Amari Cooper, this team supposedly loved him so do they suck it up and do it?  I suspect not but you never know. 

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I saw somewhere that the Giants would take a 4rth round pick to trade Barkley. That's interesting. If he gets healthy and isn't thought of as the only workhorse back, he is absolutely worth a 4rth rounder.

I am hoping the Giants release Martinez he was really good for them pre-injury.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. I've not been thinking they'd sign a FA WR or at least not one for major money, I've said that on and off on the draft thread. Terry obviously has to get paid.  Samuel was paid. I don't think you can pay big money for three guys.

Only wildcard is if Dallas releases Amari Cooper, this team supposedly loved him so do they suck it up and do it?  I suspect not but you never know. 

Inclined to agree at WR......However, I must admit really do like Valdes-Scantling as a free agent option.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am hoping the Giants release Martinez he was really good for them pre-injury.

Heck no on Barkley!  Dude is the most overrated player in the NFL.  Has no toughness.  Never runs through contact.  Has no vision.  CANNOT pass block.  

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully Aaron Rodgerts doesn't insist they keep Campbell

Well the Packers might struggle to pay Rodgers, Adams and Campbell, don’t know.

That said, Campbell has played a couple of seasons on very modest money in context. Someone needs to make him a contract offer structured in a way GB will struggle to match.