Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

55 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

You extrapolate over a season, but he doesn’t stay healthy.  Has missed at least four games in three of the past for seasons.  Is he going to be healthier as he gets older?

Maybe maybe not but at this point there’s two years left on the deal. And if they are moving Jamin to outside linebacker you’ve basically got Landon and Jamin in same role. But if Jamin progresses the way I think he will in a position where he doesn’t have to think as much and can play instinctually and use that freakish athleticism then it allows you to use both of them as interchangeable pieces which keeps both fresh and allows you to do different things on defense mixing and matching pieces based off matchups etc.  But if he’s playing a lower percentage of snaps it should help him stay healthy and if he can continue to play at that level I think he brings more value to your team than the 6 million saved against the cap would. 

• Like 1

Just looked into Eric Flowers Cap hit for 2022 and he is at 10m non guaranteed salary. Do you think he would sign say 3 years 30m with 18m guaranteed, with a 2022 cap hit of around the minimum salary. Which would then give us around another 7m Cap to play with. I would also re-sign Schweitzer(6m Cap hit in 2022), to around a 3 year 17m deal with 8m guaranteed, which again his 2022 cap figure of minimum salary about 4m savings again for 2022. Also Schweitzer contract allows for competition from within, free agency and the draft. 

Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Just looked into Eric Flowers Cap hit for 2022 and he is at 10m non guaranteed salary. Do you think he would sign say 3 years 30m with 18m guaranteed, with a 2022 cap hit of around the minimum salary. Which would then give us around another 7m Cap to play with. I would also re-sign Schweitzer(6m Cap hit in 2022), to around a 3 year 17m deal with 8m guaranteed, which again his 2022 cap figure of minimum salary about 4m savings again for 2022. Also Schweitzer contract allows for competition from within, free agency and the draft. 

Any thoughts? 

I think both of those players should be extended, more from the angle that they are more than decent guards. We could create a bit of cap space by doing that now if needed, but it would only be an essential thing to do if we plough serious coin into a QB.

I do think we need another OL added to the group, either in FA or via the draft. I’d be tempted in FA to add a vet G.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think both of those players should be extended, more from the angle that they are more than decent guards. We could create a bit of cap space by doing that now if needed, but it would only be an essential thing to do if we plough serious coin into a QB.

I do think we need another OL added to the group, either in FA or via the draft. I’d be tempted in FA to add a vet G.

I agree.  Any thoughts on A. Norwell.  He is solid and is still got good years ahead of him.  Obvious ties to Rivera.  I like him.

10 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Any thoughts? 

I like both players. Restructuring Flowers should definitely be done.

Could the outcome of the QB search affect the OL decisions? Meaning different QB's could alter the offensive look and perhaps future personnel?

53 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I agree.  Any thoughts on A. Norwell.  He is solid and is still got good years ahead of him.  Obvious ties to Rivera.  I like him.

Norwell could have been an option a couple of years back but Rivera looked passed him then. I wouldn’t go in that direction now.

I like Glowinski in free agency, or Tomlinson from the 49ers if the intention was to spend more at OG. He has strong links to Mayhew who drafted him in Detroit then backed his trade to SF when he was in the 49ers front office.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

JP Finlay called the Payne extension desires “fake news” on his show today.

Yeah I can Payne getting moved, rightly or wrongly. I also don’t think he wants to play a season on his 5th year option. Jon Allen is the voice of the locker room, don’t go fighting with him publicly.....

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

JP Finlay called the Payne extension desires “fake news” on his show today.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to extend Payne if there's a desire to keep Sweat and Young around. But I argued exhaustively last off-season that we could/should extend Payne because of the way the contracts would stack, you'd only be paying all 4 of them for one year before Chase's big new deal would kick in. I assumed we'd move on from Allen, but in that scenario we'd probably move on from Payne. And then you'd be paying 3 of them top-end dollar. But again, this isn't until 2025. And at that point, who knows where this roster will be. We could draft a guy in the 4th round that breaks out and makes Sweat expendable in 2024. Or we just suck complete donkey balls and trade away the DL because the "load up the front" experiment falls apart.

That said, I think an extension for Payne is not a bad idea. But I also wouldn't be bummed out if they opted to move on after next year.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Doesn't make a ton of sense to extend Payne if there's a desire to keep Sweat and Young around. But I argued exhaustively last off-season that we could/should extend Payne because of the way the contracts would stack, you'd only be paying all 4 of them for one year before Chase's big new deal would kick in. I assumed we'd move on from Allen, but in that scenario we'd probably move on from Payne. And then you'd be paying 3 of them top-end dollar. But again, this isn't until 2025. And at that point, who knows where this roster will be. We could draft a guy in the 4th round that breaks out and makes Sweat expendable in 2024. Or we just suck complete donkey balls and trade away the DL because the "load up the front" experiment falls apart.

That said, I think an extension for Payne is not a bad idea. But I also wouldn't be bummed out if they opted to move on after next year.

The deciding factor on all of that really boils down to how much we are paying our QB. If we have a vet QB getting 35mil per year then we will shed players, if we are going to roll with a QB on a rookie deal for several years there is no reason to let any half decent player move on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The deciding factor on all of that really boils down to how much we are paying our QB. If we have a vet QB getting 35mil per year then we will shed players, if we are going to roll with a QB on a rookie deal for several years there is no reason to let any half decent player move on.

Exactly, and a great point. If we trade for Wilson or Watson, then you're committing a massive chunk of future $$ to that position alone. The premier QB salary could pay for 2 of the premier DL-men in terms of annual cap hit.

It's why I would prefer to build around a drafted QB, because our window would extend an additional 5 years in which we could commit huge salary resources to other parts of the roster. I also understand there's substantial risk in that strategy given the upcoming draft class and our position within it. It's also why I'm really only interested in "paying up" in draft capital and salary for Watson (Age) and Wilson to a lesser extent.

Signing a Trubisky or Mariota and drafting a Willis or Corral at pick #11 would extend our window and allow us to compete in 2022. I wouldn't expect an extension for Payne to come into play until after the QB situation plays out. If we don't land a premier high-paid QB, we can afford to extend Payne. If we go get a Wilson or Watson, if Payne isn't part of a trade package, we're going to need the $16-20m that would go to him in 2023 and allocate that to our QB, especially considering we'd lack the 1st round draft capital to replenish our talent at a relatively cheap price point.

Also, extending Payne now would probably take him out of any compensation that would go toward a QB in a trade. McLaurin being extended isn't an issue, since he's a key piece to this offense and someone we'd need if we had a premier QB anyway. I don't expect McLaurin to be involved in any QB trade. Payne, could be.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Our defense looked utterly lost when Landon was in the lineup. 

In the first half of the season I agree with you. When he was moved to LB he was making plays and the defense gelled.  I could see reason to keep him, I'm of the mind that if there's a financial reason such as signing a QB to a big deal he may be a cap casualty.  Most likely a restructure however I could see him forcing their hand he is kind of stubborn.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

In the first half of the season I agree with you. When he was moved to LB he was making plays and the defense gelled.  I could see reason to keep him, I'm of the mind that if there's a financial reason such as signing a QB to a big deal he may be a cap casualty.  Most likely a restructure however I could see him forcing their hand he is kind of stubborn.

And was promptly taken off the field for passing downs. He also doesn’t want to play LB

20 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would like to get Vander Esch to be our next middle linebacker.  He has had some injuries but he can really hit running backs hard and plug up the middle of our defense.

Not sure if he is still on the Cowboys roster.  Hope he is a free agent now.

I have him on my list of targets that I expect us to go after.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I have him on my list of targets that I expect us to go after.

He's good but he's been banged up the last couple years and missed time.  Red Flag to me.  If he hadn't had all the injuries, he's one to sign. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, RWJ said:

He's good but he's been banged up the last couple years and missed time.  Red Flag to me.  If he hadn't had all the injuries, he's one to sign. 

Slim pickings at LB. We could do with a couple more in though this offseason.