Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Soon To Be Former WFT at Joe Judge's Own 3 Ring Circus

TK
Message added by TK,

1305856091_ScreenShot2022-01-09at3_54_06PM.thumb.png.4511140066d3537caa704a8c1559df9b.png

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its silly to play the schedule game. Some of those bad teams will be much improved. 

Sometimes it is.  Sometimes not.

For example, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady and company headed your way I think you can count on those teams being really good.

Yeah maybe teams like the Lions, Jags, Texans, etc have major turnarounds and end up just as dangerous as a team as the Chiefs, Goff has a career year or whatever but I wouldn’t bet on it 

But I would bet against a collapse from Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, etc

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree to a point. But it would have been interesting to see if Fitz could have an the offense better enough to keep the D from getting as exposed jsut simply by not being on the field enough. Fitz easily beat out Taylor for the starting job. But he never got a real chance thanks to that injury. 

I said this earlier, but do not be surprised if Fits as th starter next year is plan C  - after drafting someone or making a run at a top level Vet. I do not see brining in a Trubisky when you have Fitz, assuming he wants to sign here again and is healthy enough.  

Its one of those things where the defense was so bad to start the season, trying to win TOP wouldn't of saved them because they were giving up so many huge passing plays so quickly. 

We arent factoring in the likely higher number of picks that Fitz was known for every once in a while.  Better QB then Taylor by a country mile, but there's a reason he's bounced around so much in his career. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I would not trade or use a first round pick on any of these qbs in the draft.

It really doesn't matter what you or I would do, what matters is what Ron and company do.  If we end up trading up for a QB, then today's "win" was asanine!

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sometimes it is.  Sometimes not.

For example, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady and company headed your way I think you can count on those teams being really good.

Yeah maybe teams like the Lions, Jags, Texans, etc have major turnarounds and end up just as dangerous as a team as the Chiefs, Goff has a career year or whatever but I wouldn’t bet on it 

But I would bet against a collapse from Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, etc

Sure but even then we beat Brady and had winnable games against Rodgers and Mahomes. 

Ultimately we have no idea 

8 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

With as bad as they were the first 5 games the team would in my opinion would have been 3-2 with Fitz. And the defense would not have been exposed as much due to an offense that gave them leads and less time on the field. It took to week 7-8 for the offense to get on track this season.

and then it fluttered again when covid and injuries devastated the team.

3-2 vs 2-3 isn't that huge a difference.  Who do we beat, the chargers? Fitz was looking like garbage in that game before he got hurt.

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I’m reading a lot on Fitz. IMO, Fitz looked done even before the injury. 

That was my take also.  I reviewed that game several times and I felt as if Fitz was not "up" for the game.  He had a real "pre-season" vibe to me.  

Of course, us calling him "done" is just as crazy as other people saying he WOULD have led the team to the playoffs.

:229:The Rook

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe some will but I don’t think most will.

It didn’t take much imagination to see we had a killer schedule this year with an unusually high number of top 10 QBs on the slate 

I am looking forward to seeing some growth during the off season with Carter. This is the first place he really got a shot to play some WR. And IMO he played pretty damn well. That speed he has cant be taught. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its silly to play the schedule game. Some of those bad teams will be much improved. 

Who you play makes a huge difference.  Washington played a whose who of QBs this past season.  Eight of their games were against great and potentially future great QBs and I didn't include the Raiders' Carr.  It's why I thought they would go between 6-11 and 8-9 even without all the injuries, because the gap between those QBs and Washington's QB was massive. 

They play three games against those types of QBs next year.  The two against Dallas (IMO, Dak is a great QB) and the game against the Packers.  

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure but even then we beat Brady and had winnable games against Rodgers and Mahomes. 

Ultimately we have no idea 

Yeah of course, we can beat a good team and lose to a bad one, any given Sunday.  Yeah sure, you got some weird outlier games for every team but the outliers like the Lions beating the Cardinals or whatever doesn't define the whole season.  It just highlights how wacky it can be week to week.  

There was a reason why the schedule was a topic, talked about by Rivera, Del Rio, the reporters, etc all training camp every now and then.

When you are up against:  Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Dak twice.  And our easier games are against dudes like Derek Carr.  You expect a tough road.  Many thought their schedule would end up one of the toughest in the NFL.  And that's how it ended up if you look at SOS.

It looked unusually hard.  It ended up unusually hard.   Some schedules look just more run of the mill.  Right now, the schedule looks run of the mill.  It could end up harder than it looks today or end up easier.  But at a minimum you don't have that murders row of established QBs in the slate. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Gibson looked great today. Did he do enough to be the stand alone #1 heading into next season given his injury and fumbled plagued career to this point? I love him and think he's a tremendous talent but we need more consistency out of him. I'm chalking this season up a learning year for him and expecting him to come in next year ready to be a pro bowl player representing the Washington Commanders, the peoples franchise with the peoples owner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

All I know is, Mike Tomlin = BEAST. 

Shocks me consistently to see Steelers fans question this man just about every season. 

Harbaugh is great too. They had like 30 guys on IR and were without their MVP QB for quite a few games and were still right there for a playoff spot.

Both of those organizations are top notch. We have a long way to go.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Rook said:

That was my take also.  I reviewed that game several times and I felt as if Fitz was not "up" for the game.  He had a real "pre-season" vibe to me.  

Of course, us calling him "done" is just as crazy as other people saying he WOULD have led the team to the playoffs.

:229:The Rook

Nah, hip injuries are no joke, especially for a guy inching in on 40.  Saying he's done is not a stretch at all, resigning him would be a bad idea, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

I like Tomlin but it'll be interesting to see how the Steelers fare without Ben.

I also wondered why McCarthy got a bad rap in GB but, despite the Cowboys good season, have not been impressed with him in Dallas. If Dallas doesn't make a deep playoff run, Mike is gonna be the reason why.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, clietas said:

Fitz has played all 16 games in only three seasons. 😬

But most of that is being benched for young guys not due to injuries. Not saying he is a lock for 17 games but he is not injury prone either. Again, much of especially the last 5 yrs or so are more due to teams wanting to give thier young gun a try.  

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Its one of those things where the defense was so bad to start the season, trying to win TOP wouldn't of saved them because they were giving up so many huge passing plays so quickly. 

We arent factoring in the likely higher number of picks that Fitz was known for every once in a while.  Better QB then Taylor by a country mile, but there's a reason he's bounced around so much in his career. 

Not sure I completely agree but I get where you are coming from.  BTW: The Fitz chucks ints thing was not true his last few years. He was no worse than any other middle level QB. He was coming off one of his best seasons ever and coming into an offense that gets guys open. 

I really wish we would have had a chance to see for ourselves. I really would have liked our chances. Oh well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure I completely agree but I get where you are coming from.  BTW: The Fitz chucks ints thing was not true his last few years. He was no worse than any other middle level QB. He was coming off one of his best seasons ever and coming into an offense that gets guys open. 

I really wish we would have had a chance to see for ourselves. I really would have liked our chances. Oh well. 

But looking back on it, even with Fitz healthy, the mystery is why the defense was so bad the first half of the season.  Supposedly we didn't have a care in the world on that side of the ball.

Our non-division games, we play the following QBs:

1). Ten (Tannehill)

2). Jax (Lawrence)

3). Hou (Mills)

4). Ind (Wentz)

5).  Cle (Mayfield)

6). GB (Rodgers)

7). Min (Kirk)

8). Det (Goff)

9). Chi (Fields)

10). Atl (Ryan)

11). SF (Lance)

Its basically Rodgers and then middle-of-the-pack QBs for the most part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1