Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

On the flip side, kinda weird we don't see a similar influx wave of new Maye fans.

LSU is a much bigger program than UNC, which isn't even predominantly a football school. I don't think it's so surprising

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

LSU is a much bigger program than UNC, which isn't even predominantly a football school. I don't think it's so surprising

Tru dat

I don't watch college ball so I tend to paint all the fans w/ the same brush sometimes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

On the flip side, kinda weird we don't see a similar influx wave of new Maye fans.

Tarheels are more of a basketball school.

LSU football is serious.

32 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

You beat me to it!  Great minds😎

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Adam will spend the weekend going over all information and then let everyone on the team know, including Josh ; whom we are picking on Monday. Our draft board might be set then to.

I wonder who has access to the Skins 'REAL' board... I bet it's 1-2 people. That thing is stored in a mission impossible tomb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well you also said they did because they didn't want to wait for Maye to develop, the QBs who obviously has better traits.

Yes. But still probably don't want to wait and disappoint the vets whose livelihood can be dictated by what the QB can and can't do. It was just a thought that I had and like I said I do prefer Maye for the long run though. Still the question is are the coaches thinking long term right now or short term first and then see what happens? JD still can be their short term and long term answer if that is their view on him minus the whole agent bs. 

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Not the same coming from you. We already know you're an idiot.

i-kid-triump-the-insult-dog.gif

I do what I can to keep you all entertained. After reading the last few pages looks like you guys needed it and need it real bad :806:

12 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Peters: Had no preference on QBs in this draft before taking job, was not scouting QBs for SF last year.

Thought this was interesting.

We all figured this was a better GM destination than most since we had a easy pathway to a new QB, but according to Peters he did not study QBs last year.

I can buy that he was not intimately going over QBs w/ a fine tooth comb (SF had no real reason to chase one) but I gotta assume a guy in his position would at least know this was a "QB strong" draft.

I think that knowledge helped lure him here, but it seems there was no specific guy that he came in with penciled in within his mind. Made the process even more open.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We all figured this was a better GM destination than most since we had a easy pathway to a new QB, but according to Peters he did not study QBs last year.

I can buy that he was not intimately going over QBs w/ a fine tooth comb (SF had no real reason to chase one) but I gotta assume a guy in his position would at least know this was a "QB strong" draft.

I think that knowledge helped lure him here, but it seems there was no specific guy that he came in with penciled in within his mind. Made the process even more open.

It's likely that he knew Maye was available at 2 and figured he was a top tier pick, and then once the season was over Jayden had played himself into contention there with his breakout season.

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't buy it at all.

Its like saying that a record label isn't checking out the new bands coming out. The tech company engineer who ignores new ideas. They're DONE!

Following what guys like Williams, Maye, MHJ, Turner, etc etc were doing is what he probably spent a good portion of his time with.

It's why he got the job. Does anybody really think he walked into the job interview not having a clue what was actually going on?

Come On Man!!!

43 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

that’s not what he said.  He said he didn’t look into them the way he would have liked to if he knew he would have this opportunity.  I agree it’s likely he didn’t come in with a favorite but he absolutely had and has a plan. And he is executing that plan.   

on another note I really like the group outing. You gain a lot of insight to peoples character when in group and social settings.  He is looking for talent but also character fits.  That includes how they interact with other players.  

Not directed at you, more a general statement, it be over next Thursday and the hysteria can begin in earnest!   😂😂

• Like 1

The other good news is that SF are slated to ‘need’ OL/CB/WR in the draft so Peters likely had a strong view in those areas before coming here….

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty sick vid here. Check it out.

Great vid. They are well made.

Peters is living his best life right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Remember this when people post the anonymous scouts. Some of these guys are ****ing idiots, or hyper-focused on particular traits, or just riffing and making **** up because they haven’t actually been assigned that player to do a deep tape breakdown—every scout doesn’t look at every player. Oh, and some of the quotes are just straight-up fake and made up (not McGinn’s, just in general)

Been reading the takes as they are coming out.  WRs and o line so far.

The rankings tend to beat any of the draft media so as flamboyant as some of the takes are the landing spots of these players are much more accurate statisitically typically than name that mock draft.

But yeah I noticed if you get 5 scouts praising a player and 1 scout killing that same player colorfully -- what gets retweeted is the one colorful critidism.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, frontline205 said:

I have so much faith in this front office that if it’s JJ, hey I’m drinking the kool-aid. 

I'd be pissed..... BUT

Looking at other front offices over recent history, those that I'm the most impressed by are the ones who regularly buck consensus in the draft, and HIT on those picks.  Screw y'all, we know better.... if it works, its beautiful

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 2

lol, speaking of McGinn.  For me, I said weeks ago.  For the people here that suggest Schefter (scouts), Breer, (scouts), Keim (coaches) are being lied to and played about who they think is better. To me that's emotional nonsense. I've talked draft here for almost two decades.  And the talk about Daniels is just different here from the past, I think its likely RG3 PTS.  I don't ever recall anyone saying many scouts with no skin in the game are just lying nonstop to reporters for kicks or that some of the smarter reporters in the league are just dupes who are getting played.

Look I am not talking about rumors.  I am not talking about the NE FO telling Schefter hey I think Daniels is better in hopes that Maye falls to them.   These are teams who aren't taking QBs who as Keim likes to say, ditto Schefter when they throw their opinions around based on sources, these are sources they've trusted before.  These aren't new reporters having first time coversations with people they've never discussed things before with.

Cooley and a bunch of other smart people that we've lauded before on other takes like O'Sullivan from the QB school love Daniels.  I don't think they are fanboy idiots.

I don't mean its emotional to like or not like a player, that's cool.  Someone can think Daniels sucks. And look I am totally on the band that is worried about Daniels' durability.  But am not on the band that he's "meh" as a player and Maye is miles and miles better albiet I do like Maye better.

And yeah look I've had takes on players that are different than the masses, I do now, too.  But I don't assume the masses in the draft world are lying because my prowess as an evaluator is so out of this world that anyone who doesn't see things as I do has to be either a liar or a complete idiot. :ols:

And we know at a minimum that this FO doesn't see the choice as some big joke.  They wouldn't take it this far if they did.  Peters was lauded as one of the better evaluators in the league at the time of the hire, most were giddy abut the hire.  Some on this very thread were praising him as an elite evaluator as recent as a few weeks ago -- now he's being question by that same person among others as potentially not being good at his job.  So while I appreciate some hard takes by some -- for me is a bridge too far if we are that sure of ourselves for the hardest positiion to judge in sports and mind you a spot that we've all got royally wrong before and came at it back then with the same level of conviction that this time our conviction is absolutely right.

I've done QB evaluations like others here for eons.  And I've put in more time this year than any year by far.  I've gotten some good ones right.  Heck I even got praised by some here for my QB evaluations.  But I also got some royally wrong of course.  And the more I do it the less confident I get in it -- not more confident, less.  I felt good hearing O'Sullivan make the same point and I praised him for his humility even though he does QB evaluations online for a living and is really good at it and goes deeper on that front than QB evaulation than any I've read on the board.  There is so much we don't know about these guys that youtube videos don't answer.

For me the most confident I am is picking QBs who can't play versus can play.  I got a decent record with that.  Not perfect.  And IMHO both Maye and Daniels pass my eye test on that front.  Both IMO look accurate on all levels and are good decision makes.  Maye needs to improve on the first level.  Daniels needs to throw more with antcipation.  They both need to improve but I don't see any of the red flags I've seen with Darnold, Rosen, Haskins, Trubisky. 

But anyway that's me.  As for scouts and bringing this back to McGinn, I says weeks back I'd wait for that if I am going to entertain the flat earth theory that all these scouts from other teams are playing Schefter, Breer, etc.  And dudes some of us trusted in the past who make QB evaluations are off their rocker and just falling to group think -- including people like Cooley who doesn't pay attention at all to draft media and O' Sullivan who takes pride on ignoring group think and getting into the meat of the subject -- among other people doing evaluations.

For me, I would need to hear from McGinn's scouts. Not because they are perfect and don't get things wrong.  But because they are predictive.  These people are simply a series of people who work in FOs around the league and plenty of times these guys have a different take about players than the draft media.  They already do on the first 2 positions they assessed.  

In short, I just read those takes and they echo BOTH QBs are likely studs.  Same position that some of us here espouse, but many don't.  And look I am not arguing that those who are down on Daniels should be high on him.  I don't agree with all these guys assessements on players.  I didn't agree with all of them on the WRs which I read yesterdsy.  But I don't think person after person is lying to McGinn, Schefter, Breer on and on.  That feels absurd.  I do think those that prefer Daniels genuinely do.  I don't think its a lie.

But yeah to the people here who think we are in a good spot no matter what and who we take as to Maye-Daniels, they'd enjoy reading about both dudes.  I am wondering if I should post it because I know some will go ape including the typical rants about the scouts McGinn talks too are idiots.  I think part of it is the scouts he talked to weren't always in love with the players we took over the years.  Some were brutal on Haskins.  Some thought Dotson more or less belonged in the 2nd not first.  Mixed on Jamin Davis, etc.  So if we wanted to feel the love on our draft picks, it wasn't the place to go.

But one thing I can count on with these takes is if they slam a player they like or say something people don't like -- some kill the messenger.  That's a guarantee. :ols:    The messanger is both me for posting it and typically whatever outlier position is made in the mix from that negative scout, that's the one that gets attention and people use to paint the aggregate take to ridicule the aggregate take.  So it can be 90% praise but the 10% hit is what people harp on to discredit the whole thing.  But people can discredit it all they want, McGinn's top 100 often beats the mock drafts top 100 as to what ACTUALLY happens on draft day for a reason. 

'

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This is the scouts McGinn's talked to on McCarthy.  it backs at least what Breer-Schefter said recently that McCarthy is seen by the scouts they talk to as QB #4.  The people Schefter-Breer spoke to recently don't buy he overtakes Maye or Daniels.

Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 7.36.57 AM.png

I thought Lance Newmark gave the best answer in the presser regarding QBs, when he talked about the player basically having that inner belief and drive to succeed. I get the leadership point too, but to be a high end performing and successful QB, damn you have to be a different kind of beast. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I thought Lance Newmark gave the best answer in the presser regarding QBs, when he talked about the player basically having that inner belief and drive to succeed. I get the leadership point too, but to be a high end performing and successful QB, damn you have to be a different kind of beast. 

No doubt.  And some of this stuff is hard for people from their couch of course to figure that out.

Heck for example I recall all the articles about how Mac Jones was a good dude, always joking around in the Alabama locker room, etc.  But then in the NFL, you find out he's a head case, not very coachable and teammates don't like him.

Shanny, Gibbs, Arians all reference the makeup of that QB -- confidence, toughness, work ethic, calmness under pressure on and on as key.  Clearly that's a big reason why Peters among others doesn't just watch some youtube videos, call it a day and say this is whom we are taking.  We had that guy in the building making calls like that, Dan Snyder, and lucky for us he's gone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I think that they really don’t scout for future drafts that much, there is so much on the plate and time is a factor. They might have an idea about who’s coming out, but they more than likely have a slotted time frame that they use to learn about this years draft prospects. There are so many prospects to learn about, and so much other stuff going on, including free agency, I doubt there is enough time to really focus in on who might be coming in with the next years crop of players. 

I can buy that he hasn’t really zeroed in on anyone coming out this year before coming here, because he probably didn’t have the time necessary to thoroughly review the prospects. And then once he got here, it was time for him to really start to try to review and learn about these draftees, and even then he still had free agency eating up a lot of his time as well. By now though, I’m sure they have pretty much decided on who their QB pick will be at #2 and have filled out their draft board. And I doubt they’ve done hardly any research on players in next years draft.

Peters went to a bunch of UNC practices.  He's known about Drake Maye for a while.  NFL personnel people absolutely track players who show NFL potential in future classes.  Not finalizing your evaluations on them is different than not scouting them.

• Like 4

At the end of the day the Scouts, Coaches, Keim unless it's coming from a source inside the Commanders office, Shefty the same thing, It's who they would take on outside sources information.  Who cares right now? They have no real sources, just opinions?  I am just hoping It's who I would take or want them to take and that's it at this point. The front office shut the media out this time, great for them that's different.  Also not interested in Numbers Metrics, Media, or any of that it's, time to move on.   

I want in this order, 

1.Maye fits the type QB I want for this team.

Upside, Age, Size, Leader.

2. J.J. McCarthy

QB Type, Size, age, leader winner

better with a small trade down if possible.

3. Penix 

Really good QB, not what I really want but in a trade down I am okay.

4. Daniels 

Not the QB type I want for the team but if they take him, I hope he becomes a really good QB and I was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Is that really who you think Keim is talking to? Really??

He's talking to Jay Gruden.  So he's talking to a high ranking idiot, but an idiot nonetheless.

The NFL is largely populated by Jay Grudens.  And many times, even when the people in charge are smart and not stupid like Jay, they are toxic and unprofessional nutjobs unfit for any kind of senior management job, like Daboll.  Joe Gibbs was one in a million, people like him are not the ones that make up the league.

More NFL owners than not are terrible people who build organizations with terrible culture, they manage their teams via whim, and their front offices are riddled with ego and unprofessionalism.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

9 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

At the end of the day the Scouts, Coaches, Keim unless it's coming from a source inside the Commanders office, Shefty the same thing, It's who they would take on outside sources information.  Who cares right now? They have no real sources, just opinions?  I am just hoping It's who I would take or want them to take and that's it at this point. The front office shut the media out this time, great for them that's different.  Also not interested in Numbers Metrics, Media, or any of that it's, time to move on.   

I want in this order, 

1.Maye fits the type QB I want for this team.

Upside, Age, Size, Leader.

2. J.J. McCarthy

QB Type, Size, age, leader winner

better with a small trade down if possible.

3. Penix 

Really good QB, not what I really want but in a trade down I am okay.

4. Daniels 

Not the QB type I want for the team but if they take him, I hope he becomes a really good QB and I was wrong.

My point wasnt that people should care what they think. My point was some seem to think they are making it up as to sharing their opinion and deep down they feel the opposite.

McGinn’s scouts for me was the final straw that I seriously doubt that scouts secretly have the opposite views than what theyve been sharing.

As for what you care about or not thats up to u. But that wasnt my point 

• Like 1