Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Remember this when people post the anonymous scouts. Some of these guys are ****ing idiots, or hyper-focused on particular traits, or just riffing and making **** up because they haven’t actually been assigned that player to do a deep tape breakdown—every scout doesn’t look at every player. Oh, and some of the quotes are just straight-up fake and made up (not McGinn’s, just in general)

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hooper said:

Also interesting you didn't mention Allen in that group of QBs with no big playoff wins. 

Allen put up 30s multiple times in playoff losses.

Meanwhile Vick, Randall, Lamar were routinely held to 3-17.

Lamar has 6tds and 6ints in 6 playoff games and was sacked 26 times. This is what you want?

Allen 10 games 21td 4 int 23 sacks. Lots of points.

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

2274 pages of fan on fan crime regarding the position, and I’m still not excited about Maye, Daniels or any other QB in the draft.

I know I should be excited, given the stars aligning to put us in this position.  But for both players my list of concerns is equal to if not longer than the positives.

I think this kind of takes is horrible and does a real disservice to the board in general. 

Because if you don't declare your love of one particular QB, how are the rest of us supposed to tell you what an idiot you are?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty sick vid here. Check it out.

I feel gut sick even thinking about giving little Napoleon credit for anything, but whoever hired the crew that does the videos made inspired choices. 

They put out an excellent product. Thanks for posting it.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Because if you don't declare your love of one particular QB, how are the rest of us supposed to tell you what an idiot you are?

Well if he read all 2200+ pages do we really have to say it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I think this kind of takes is horrible and does a real disservice to the board in general. 

I desperately want to hurl insults at the opposition, and here I am just sitting on the fence.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Welp... here I go then. I want Maye but the Commies will draft Daniels since they went out and got whole bunch of players on a 1 year rental and would want to hit the ground running and can't wait for Maye to develop. 

23 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I guess all the coaches and scouts out there who tell guys like Keim that Daniels is clearly the better prospect are fanboys. 

If Daniels, Maye, or JJ turn out to be as good as Lamar or Vick, I'll be happy -- especially considering most highly picked QBs turn out to be average or flat out busts. 

And all those guys had way more question marks as passers coming in than Daniels did.

But whatever. Again, will be happy with Maye or Daniels. 

We also have no clue who these "coaches and scouts" are. They could be assistant to the assistant qualify assurance coach or a the assistant to an assistant scout. Also, remember that this is lying season, so there's probably plenty of BS flying for whatever reason. I also don't discount groupthink where x number of "scouts" say "oh, this guy is better" and then others just sort of get on board the same train.

Not saying Daniels isn't a good prospect, but putting a ton of stock in anonymous quotes from supposed coaches and scouts isn't that great of an idea IMO right in the middle of draft season.

There's also pretty much always a guy like Maye who scouts and coaches raved about for some time but now suddenly are nitpicking every single thing about him. It happened with Herbert too, for example.

I think the best and most straightforward take I heard on Maye in a scouting report was "stop overthinking it". As in "the dude checks all the boxes for elite traits to be an top tier QB prospect. nitpicking the flaws to death is how we completely whiffed on Josh Allen and Justin Herbert"

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Welp... here I go then. I want Maye but the Commies will draft Daniels since they went out and got whole bunch of players on a 1 year rental and would want to hit the ground running and can't wait for Maye to develop. 

I doubt that is why they're brought in those guys and if so I hope the get fired.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Not the same coming from you. We already know you're an idiot.

i-kid-triump-the-insult-dog.gif

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I doubt that is why they're brought in those guys and if so I hope the get fired.

Don't think that is a fireable offense though. The coaches still need to better evaluate the other players as well. Who gives them a better chance to do that and still win games in the process?

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Don't think that is a fireable offense though. The coaches still need to better evaluate the other players as well. Who gives them a better chance to do that and still win games in the process?

Well you also said they did because they didn't want to wait for Maye to develop, the QBs who obviously has better traits.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

We also have no clue who these "coaches and scouts" are. They could be assistant to the assistant qualify assurance coach or a the assistant to an assistant scout.

Is that really who you think Keim is talking to? Really?? Come on now.  When we've got the most credible reporter with any connection to the Commanders, notorious for being cautious, giving us info from his sources, you don't think that's worth listening to? Keim is not an idiot and he knows it's "lying season." 

If the primary source (e.g., Keim) is trustworthy, then the secondary/anonymous sources that person uses are worth at least giving fair consideration versus automatic discard. 

When it's Eric Freaking Bickel passing along "gossip" from some unnamed tween, then yeah, it's time for a grain or bucket of salt. 

Besides, you guys need to stop picking on Minnesota's next QB, you'll have Justin Jefferson hunting you down for badmouthing his boy's successor. 

6 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think even Jayden's most ardent followers would admit that Maye has the edge on leadership.

Have you spent time with both Maye and Daniels? If so please enlighten me on the leadership skills that stuck out and the drawbacks of both cause I’d be fascinated to know!

1 minute ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Have you spent time with both Maye and Daniels? If so please enlighten me on the leadership skills that stuck out and the drawbacks of both cause I’d be fascinated to know!

Is it just a coincidence that about 99% of the Daniels fanboys joined since January?

This one just spawned in the past few hours.

It's a conspiracy!!!:headbang:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

We also have no clue who these "coaches and scouts" are. They could be assistant to the assistant qualify assurance coach or a the assistant to an assistant scout. Also, remember that this is lying season, so there's probably plenty of BS flying for whatever reason. I also don't discount groupthink where x number of "scouts" say "oh, this guy is better" and then others just sort of get on board the same train.

Not saying Daniels isn't a good prospect, but putting a ton of stock in anonymous quotes from supposed coaches and scouts isn't that great of an idea IMO right in the middle of draft season.

There's also pretty much always a guy like Maye who scouts and coaches raved about for some time but now suddenly are nitpicking every single thing about him. It happened with Herbert too, for example.

I think the best and most straightforward take I heard on Maye in a scouting report was "stop overthinking it". As in "the dude checks all the boxes for elite traits to be an top tier QB prospect. nitpicking the flaws to death is how we completely whiffed on Josh Allen and Justin Herbert"

I love Drake Maye and if we have the patience we’re in a golden position. 

But he’s more Josh Allen than Justin Herbert. Do you remember watching Josh Allen as a rookie? I do.

My preference is Daniels. But I’d be stoked with Maye, just if we ease him in a bit and I’d prefer Mariotta start if we can afford it. Maye has higher upside agreed but I hope everyone hangs in here during the lumps because watching the bills Josh’s rookie year was atrocious. It wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies out the gate I can assure you that. 

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

Is it just a coincidence that about 99% of the Daniels fanboys joined since January?

This one just spawned in the past few hours.

It's a conspiracy!!!:headbang:

Ooooof.

1 minute ago, TurningTheCorner said:

But he’s more Josh Allen than Justin Herbert. Do you remember watching Josh Allen as a rookie? I do.

My preference is Daniels. But I’d be stoked with Maye, just if we ease him in a bit and I’d prefer Mariotta start if we can afford it. Maye has higher upside agreed but I hope everyone hangs in here during the lumps because watching the bills Josh’s rookie year was atrocious. It wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies out the gate I can assure you that. 

I think most here would be fine with that, as Josh Allen is better than Justin Herbert. We aren’t a playoff team this year either way. People will just want to see growth and big flashes. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

Just now, Conn said:

I think most here would be fine with that, as Josh Allen is better than Justin Herbert. We aren’t a playoff team this year either way 

I’d be thrilled with it! Just remember that Allen was hardly great his rookie year and Maye is going to need that type of patience. Will be well worth it though

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Is that really who you think Keim is talking to? Really?? Come on now.  When we've got the most credible reporter with any connection to the Commanders, notorious for being cautious, giving us info from his sources, you don't think that's worth listening to? Keim is not an idiot and he knows it's "lying season." 

If the primary source (e.g., Keim) is trustworthy, then the secondary/anonymous sources that person uses are worth at least giving fair consideration versus automatic discard. 

When it's Eric Freaking Bickel passing along "gossip" from some unnamed tween, then yeah, it's time for a grain or bucket of salt. 

Besides, you guys need to stop picking on Minnesota's next QB, you'll have Justin Jefferson hunting you down for badmouthing his boy's successor. 

We don't know who he's talking to. The only thing we know is that pretty much all teams are keeping their traps shut for the most part. I'm not saying he's lying or talking to completely unreliable people, but usually the only people talking to reporters about QBs at this point in the process are either scouts for teams who aren't actually looking for a QB in the draft or who probably won't be in a place to pick one of the top ones. That or if it IS a scout or FO person for a team in a spot to land one of the top QBs, it's likely not a top level scout or decision maker.

12 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

I’d be thrilled with it! Just remember that Allen was hardly great his rookie year and Maye is going to need that type of patience. Will be well worth it though

Allen was garbage at first, worse than Howell last year easily but I think he got better towards the end of the year instead of worse. With the way Howell started if he had improved this team wouldn't be in position to draft a top4 QB.

What would suck is if all of these guys are busts but Howell turns out to be a winner. That would be so Redskins.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

IMO it's more about the leadership style and what Washington is looking for. It's pretty well established that Daniels is an introvert, kinda shy, and more of a "lead by example" guy and that Maye is much more extroverted and more of a vocal leader. From what we've seen so far from GMAP and DQ, then seem to tend to prefer the latter sort of leader.

21 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Ooooof.

The whole "Maye needs to sit" thing is so overblown. Rookies with worse footwork and more inconsistent accuracy have started and been fine. As far as Allen, yes Maye does remind me of Allen a bit more than Herbert because Maye, like Allen, is super aggressive and will push the ball down the field at the drop of a hat. But Maye is also less flawed than Allen coming out. Allen had even worse footwork and accuracy issues (otherwise he would have easily been a top 3 pick if not 1st overall).

So I'd say he's a bit more of a refined Allen, but without quite the ludicrous physical gifts of Allen. Still very gifted, but not not on his level (Allen probably has the single strongest arm in the NFL and is also at least 10 lbs heavier and a little taller than Maye).

Edited by mistertim