Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Right now it’s -165 Daniels and +120 Maye it was -350 Daniels and +250 Maye last night. So big shift.

wow those odds got hammered. 

ive got JJ at +2600. 

• Haha 2

I think the hit thing is more about how a guy's body naturally reacts to hits. Most guys naturally react by getting compact and coiling muscles. Guys like RG3 and Daniels seem to do the opposite. Their bodies go more limp and splay out instead, and as a result they tend to look like ragdolls when they take a hard hit. That's how it was with the Ngata hit on RG3 and you saw his leg flop around during the it and hyperextend. Unfortunately that's probably not something that can really be "trained", it's just a neuromuscular response.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Honestly, between our #2 overall pick, a very savvy front office and coaching staff, plus the deep amount of QUALITY prospects at the QB position in the upcoming draft.  ... I'm not worrying at all. ...

[Edited on 4/272024 14:16]. I deleted the remainder of what I'd hoped would be a positive "bridging post" to help ES'ers refrain from going after each other based on their views of who should be the QB pick at #2, etc.  It was a kind of 'kumbaya" post, and unfortunately some ES'ers started using my optimistic/hopeful post to discredit the following posts I've made after  we've seen who Washington has chosen to select. It's unfortunate, and I thank all those who supported my original 'positive' post

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Power ball is a better return on investment than your bet at this point unfortunately 

😂

Lottery is for suckers. This is just a fun long shot bet that I expect to lose. 

Drake was up to +275 at one point...

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the hit thing is more about how a guy's body naturally reacts to hits. Most guys naturally react by getting compact and coiling muscles. Guys like RG3 and Daniels seem to do the opposite. Their bodies go more limp and splay out instead, and as a result they tend to look like ragdolls when they take a hard hit. That's how it was with the Ngata hit on RG3 and you saw his leg flop around during the it and hyperextend. Unfortunately that's probably not something that can really be "trained", it's just a neuromuscular response.

To start with, don't mess with Daniels, draft Maye

...but regarding the ability to take / avoid a hit.  Daniels just seems more coordinated than RG3.  I think Daniels would be better than Robert at avoiding hits, he seems more elusive and shifty (but not on the same tier at Lamar, Kyler, or Mahomes).

The problem being, that to take advantage of his athleticism, he has to be in that tier of players that seem to ALWAYS avoid the big hit.

So in this area he's a cut above Robert, but that still isn't good enough.

2 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

To start with, don't mess with Daniels, draft Maye

...but regarding the ability to take / avoid a hit.  Daniels just seems more coordinated than RG3.  I think Daniels would be better than Robert at avoiding hits, he seems more elusive and shifty (but not on the same tier at Lamar, Kyler, or Mahomes).

The problem being, that to take advantage of his athleticism, he has to be in that tier of players that seem to ALWAYS avoid the big hit.

So in this area he's a cut above Robert, but that still isn't good enough.

He may be slightly ahead of RG3 as far as eluding hits, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how their bodies respond to hits, which appears very similar.

• Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He may be slightly ahead of RG3 as far as eluding hits, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how their bodies respond to hits, which appears very similar.

Yeah, I hear you.  I'd give him more credit on that front too.  Robert looked awkward and flailing on the field way to often.  I don't see that nearly as much with Daniels (even though he definitely gets pasted way too often).

I think we all have a bit of RG3PTSD... myself included - it's probably why I don't want Daniels.  BUT, some of the comparisons don't seem fair... 

I also realize you were making a point on a very narrow part of their games.

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think even Jayden's most ardent followers would admit that Maye has the edge on leadership.

I'm a 1A Maye fan but the leadership deal swings to1B McCarthy all the way via many scouting reports about his leadership. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don’t believe for one second that they don’t know who they are drafting. They certainly do. 

I’m a solid Maye guy, but if I’m reading tea leaves I think they’re drafting Daniels.

I think Dan Quinn leans Daniels because he’s “harder to prepare for” (which shouldn’t be confused with “harder to stop”).

I think Kingsbury leans Daniels because he’s more of the style player he’s used to working with (I don’t like his offense…there seems to be a lot of pre-snap confusion and missed assignments. I think he’s a poor teacher). 

Keim/Schefter etc. say that Daniels is quarterback 2 according to the scuttlebutt of scouts and coaches. 

That’s all speculation (except for the third point), but feels plausible to me. 

I have a hard time believing that Peters goes against all of those opinions.

My bet is that in hindsight,  we should’ve known the pick was Daniels the day that Kliff Kingsbury was hired.

13 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I don’t believe for one second that they don’t know who they are drafting. They certainly do. 

I’m a solid Maye guy, but if I’m reading tea leaves I think they’re drafting Daniels.

I think Dan Quinn leans Daniels because he’s “harder to prepare for” (which shouldn’t be confused with “harder to stop”).

I think Kingsbury leans Daniels because he’s more of the style player he’s used to working with (I don’t like his offense…there seems to be a lot of pre-snap confusion and missed assignments. I think he’s a poor teacher). 

Keim/Schefter etc. say that Daniels is quarterback 2 according to the scuttlebutt of scouts and coaches. 

My bet is that in hindsight,  we should’ve known the pick was Daniels the day that Kliff Kingsbury was hired.

This is where I'm at as well.

It's hard not to love Maye's traits, but Daniels has a clear lead in poise and processing, and his ability to run is a nightmare for Ds.

This is not Peters' decision alone. There needs to be a consensus. And I think in the end it will be Daniels. 

Either way, I'll be pumped. Thank God we sucked so bad last year. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

i think they wouldve kept Sam around if they were going Jayden

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hooper said:

This is where I'm at as well.

It's hard not to love Maye's traits, but Daniels has a clear lead in poise and processing, and his ability to run is a nightmare for D's.

I disagree that Daniels has a clear lead in processing and poise. My post was just an attempt to explain why I think we draft Daniels. 

Personally, I prefer the QB who can rip a forty yard rope down the seam. And it ain’t Daniels. 

I still can’t believe we want the small frame guy who is “a better runner and throws more accurate passes to the flats”.  Saying that out loud just makes my head hurt.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, I do think that's a different conversation and agree with Daniels seemingly not having enough strength to curl/coil when he *does* get hit. 

My point previously was that he doesn't actually take a ton of big hits, we just keep seeing the same 4 hits over and over. I've watched all of his 2023 snaps, a few times (get a life, me) and the big hits in those clips are really the only 'bad' hits he took all year. There were other solid tackles, but nothing vicious and no other ragdolling.

But I also agree, it just takes one bad hit, whether it's a legal hit or not, and his career could be done - it's my biggest (RG3PTSD-induced) fear about Daniels as a possible Commanders QB.

One thing I like about Maye is, he seems to know how to take a hit. Part of that, I think, is because he's physically strong/solid and so it's harder for DL/whatever to leverage against him on tackles. Most of the time, it's kind of a slow-mo wrestling/twisting fall. Don't want to jinx him, but it seems like tacklers generally have a hard time getting a solid hit on him.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm a 1A Maye fan but the leadership deal swings to1B McCarthy all the way via many scouting reports about his leadership. 

I should have been more precise in my language.

I was only comparing Maye to Daniels, as I believe those are the two top competitors fir us at two. 

Agree completely with you that overall JJ is the likely personality champion abd even said so the day we first found out they were going to have a group intervuew.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I disagree that Daniels has a clear lead in processing and poise. My post was just an attempt to explain why I think we draft Daniels. 

Personally, I prefer the QB who can rip a forty yard rope down the seam. And it ain’t Daniels. 

I still can’t believe we want the small frame guy who is “a better runner and throws more accurate passes to the flats”.  Saying that out loud just makes my head hurt.

Yes, that's all he did, throw to the flats.  That's why his yards per attempt dwarfed Maye's -- who again, I like. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dunfer said:

i think they wouldve kept Sam around if they were going Jayden

I’m sure some folks roll their eyes at this, but I thought the same- trading Sam signaled Maye to me.  Just too awkward to have both in the room.  Thats the only legitimate reason I can think of to move Sam.

• Like 6