Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Silver quoted in an article from September the 1st and 3rd was an "opening" offer.  See my post on the previous page

And we had no intention of going further. I don’t tend to share the notion we are close in these kind of deals. See Amari Cooper as another example I often refer to (20mil in gtd money vs 60m from the pukes, not close).

Interesting article though thanks. Quite a lot of thoughts in there from Rivera that look pretty marginal at best right now. 

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

8.25 for Pickett (if that's the correct hand measurement) will be talked about endlessly.

That is pretty small for an NFL prospect. I'm only 5'7 and my hands measure 8.3" or so. 

Guess I could have been an NFL QB  prospect...If I wasn't short, unathletic, slow, and clumsy. 

• Haha 5

What is the success rate of coaches that get a 5 year deal but don't start with a viable QB, nor draft one with a top pick in their first year?  Every year they wait and don't take one, that rate has to drop.

Shanahan waited and I think it forced Dans hand into forcing Shanny take RG3, who then took Cousins for spite. Losing all those picks did untold damage.  There are ramifications for not getting the QB sorted out early in a coaches tenure that we usually brush aside crushing on that player we took instead. QBLess coaches end up signing low end vet backups good enough to be 6-10 every year and ensure mediocrity.  The marketing wheels of the NFL dictate there is no losing on purpose. It's at the core of their tremendous success in being a top watched sport.  So the coach panics in year 3 and just takes whatever is out there which is what they should have done in year 1 - TRY.

We don't spend enough picks on QBs to find success. I wonder if RR will be fired before he tries to draft his QB. It'd so us. His best hope is Dan has bigger fires to put out and leaves him be.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, profusion said:

How would *you*, Mr. Koolblue, like to play QB for the Washington Whatevers? Dan and his son are already on their way over for a chat...

I do eat like Brady. Could really use a wife like that. And I'm old.

I'm in! 

When I read "Dan and his son" I instantly thought of Ted 2 in the park. :ols:

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Haha 2

I would make a pitch to Mister Rogers from Green Bay if he decides to leave.  I know when Montana left the 49ers to the Chiefs nothing great happened for the Chiefs

but Rodgers is like Brady in that he leads the team and will not stand for stupid penalties or players not giving 100 per cent on the field.  Rogers needs a new team

and we need a Pro Bowl quarterback in the worst way.  We have nothing to lose by trying to get him.  He and Riverboat Ron went to the same college just not in

the same year together.  If our defense could actually improve before the end of the year then Rodgers might actually consider us.  Also he would set Scott Turner

straight by doing audibles when ever Turner called a play that would most likely fail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Rodgers can pick from like 25 different teams. Why would he want to come here?

This technically isn't true, because Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract.

However, he's also the kind of guy who would flat out say the if he gets traded to a team he doesn't like, he'll refuse to play or retire.

We're not exactly a desired destination. None of Wilson, Roders, or Watson are going to come here. It's a pipe dream.

A few things to keep in mind in these debates:

1) the best players aren’t always really options for this franchise

2) guys with built up credibility are unlikely to come here by choice due to the myriad of issues surrounding this franchise. Players with choices likely wouldn’t choose WFT at this juncture

3) Combined with the above, a lack of a quarterback prevents big name/top tier talent from signing here at other positions.

4) Due to this our best options are: a) rookie, b) rookie deal QB already in league that is available for a trade or c) veteran who is looking for a chance. Those aren’t in any order.

With A, if you fall in a place where you can get one or spend proper assets to do so, it’s great. However, there isn’t always an opportunity to be in the place to get a guy you’re comfortable with and other QB needy teams have more assets. So this is tricky.

With B you’re looking at a guy like Tu’a, Haskins (lol) and that’s just about it and it would cost trade assets of some sort. 

With C you’re looking at Jameis, Brissett, Bridgewater, Mariota, Trubisky.

The problem with C is that in most circumstances this is a stop gap solution. It’s better than no solution and there is a chance it works out long term but there’s nothing really to suggest it should be viewed as anything other than a stop gap. 

Bridgewater and Trubisky are the two most intriguing of that group. Mariota isn’t an awful idea. 

But C has a very small chance of solving the franchise QB issue.

B probably doesn’t either. 

A could, but so far I’m not sold on the 2022 crop.

The best chance is a trade for a meteoric name, but the likelihood we could convince a guy to come here of that caliber is low. Even if they don’t have a no trade clause… because they can just hold out and not care. 

This franchise continues to spin its wheels. We could have given up some assets and traded ahead of the NFCE and gotten Fields. Or traded up for Mac. 

But we didn’t. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The best chance is a trade for a meteoric name, but the likelihood we could convince a guy to come here of that caliber is low. Even if they don’t have a no trade clause… because they can just hold out and not care. 

This franchise continues to spin its wheels. We could have given up some assets and traded ahead of the NFCE and gotten Fields. Or traded up for Mac. 

But we didn’t. 

Your post is a good summary of the situation.

I've typically defended Rivera and tend to give him the benefit of the doubt and I actually do at the moment at the QB spot still but that's couched under they got to figure this out this off season.  And its definitely in play that they squandered their chance.  Like you I was big on Fields.  I was also one of the higher ones on Mac.   They had a shot at both and didn't take it.  I don't fault them for Stafford since they gave it a strong shot and he wasn't coming here anyway. 

They are in a pickle right now.

A.  The top QBs hitting the trade market won't want to come here.

B. The reclamation projects won't get fans in the seats and they will probably fail

C.  this draft isn't as good as last draft at QB.

Based on reports including Silver who I gather got it from Rivera directly they didn't want to give up major draft capital in the draft.   So they wanted for example Microsoft stock but only if the market crashed and they got it at a discount.  That gamble didn't work out.  But I get a sense that they didn't think it would work but if so they were betting on Plan B which was...

The defense looked close.  So lets fine tune the roster and then in 2022 be in a situation where they could perhaps convince a major QB that this place is a good place to come to because they'd be the last piece of a strong roster.  That gamble definitely failed, the team looks bad versus a team on the verge then you add that the scandals don't seem to go away.   So the idea that this team is on the verge and don't worry about the bad culture stuff from the past because its long gone -- that's out the window.  So maybe if they went 10-7 and the defense looked great and everything was quiet on the scandal front they could talk someone like Russell Wilson who grew up a Redskins fan to come here.  But alas, its gone from maybe 25% shot to 0% shot now.  Unless this season miraculously turns around.

So that leaves really the best shot to do anything is to go after a QB in this draft.   I do like Corral.  And I do like Willis potential.  But can they get either guy?  If they don't, its not going to be pretty in all likelihood.  

Even though I am not wild about the idea myself, I wouldn't be shocked if Matt Ryan is the target.  He's not a franchise QB at this juncture.  He's old.  But I do think Atlanta might trade him and they will unlikely ask for a first.   He plays into the idea they seem to have with Fitzpatrick but Ryan is better.  I am not saying its what I want.  But it wouldn't shock me if it happens. I think everything being equal they'd prefer a veteran over a rookie.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A day one or two pick for Ryan is a loss. 

After the big three this season. If they all change teams, then what the next year. What's available? Anything?

Too early to tell for certain but looks to be potentially stronger: Stroud, DJ, Bryce Young, etc. 

I am not into Ryan either, I am just saying it wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up a target if they can get him cheapish

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Too early to tell for certain but looks to be potentially stronger: Stroud, DJ, Bryce Young, etc. 

I am not into Ryan either, I am just saying it wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up a target if they can get him cheapish

I mean FA QBs next year. Nobody.

The supporting cast (offensive line, good WR-1, decent pass-catching RBs, and an "adequate" TE/Receiving corps) might help attract a decent FA QB to Washington . .. Maybe not Rodgers/Wilson/Watson good, but good.  And if the defense picks up its effectiveness and re-establishes its reputation as a top-tier unit, that would really help.  I think Rivera is still well-regarded around the league and seen as one who treats his players professionally and fairly.  With the exception of Dallas, some QB candidates might consider that The NFC-East is easier to win than, say,the NFC-West, etc.  So Washington might be seen by a candidate as a possible vehicle to be in the playoff picture.

That said, Snyder, his yes-men, FedEx field, and the continuing string of controversies and dysfunction surrounding the Washington franchise will continue to be a deterrent to attracting some quality FAs, especially top-tier QBs. While, IMHO, Rivera is the best thing that has happened to this franchise for a while now -- who's to say that Snyder won't fire him, before he completes the sorely needed overhaul of the Team?  THAT'S the kind of 'negative' lurking in the background, that will keep some top-tier QBs from coming here. 

I think Rivera would be wise seeing if a reasonable price can be obtained for Ryan, Garoppolo, or Carr to keep Snyder at bay, while Ron continues the rebuild the Team and its culture. IMHO, there's no QB in the upcoming draft who seems worth Washington mortgaging their future for, especially when the Team still needs to rebuild.  Maybe if one of the better QBs slid to the vicinity of Washington's pick in the 1st round, they might then go after him, assuming he was a fit with their vision of the offensive strategy.  (Heck, they might even be able to take a flyer on Pickett if he slides to Round-2.)

Instead, with a  FA veteran "former-franchise QB" on the roster, Washington would be better positioned for the day when they DO go "all-in" on a potential Franchise QB--hopefully in a year when the draft is stacked with decent candidates. Meanwhile Washington should keep improving the present team, so they have a high enough quality roster to work with after they've mortgaged the team's future for a chance at the fabled "Franchise Quarterback" that Washington is confident can deliver the goods.

Edited by Wyvern

Well sign me up for trading in our QB's for new group.

Let Allen start next week? Sure

Trade a 3rd rounder for Tua for a 3rd tonight? Sure

Sign Mitch T or Teddy B on March 16th also? Sure

Take a QB with the first round pick also? Sure

Let them all battle it out in 2022

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

D.J. Uiagalelei?  He has looked rough.   You sometimes hype up  QB's like Graham Mertz and D.J. Uiagalelei who have some talent, but are not even good college QB's yet.  Lets see if Uiagalelei turns into a decent college QB before worrying about whether he is a prospect.  He is completing 55% of his passes, averaging less than 6 yards per attempt and has 4 td's and 5 interceptions.  Last year Wisconsin had their worse season on offense in a while and you were hyping up Mertz and its like the dude is not even in the top half of the Big 10.

19 minutes ago, philibusters said:

D.J. Uiagalelei?  He has looked rough.   You sometimes hype up  QB's like Graham Mertz and D.J. Uiagalelei who have some talent, but are not even good college QB's yet.  Lets see if Uiagalelei turns into a decent college QB before worrying about whether he is a prospect.  He is completing 55% of his passes, averaging less than 6 yards per attempt and has 4 td's and 5 interceptions.  Last year Wisconsin had their worse season on offense in a while and you were hyping up Mertz and its like the dude is not even in the top half of the Big 10.

I know he looked rough.  He was hyped big time the year before.  It's tough enough for me to prepare for 2022 QB prospects let alone 2023.  But rough season or not, DJ is still often mentioned as a potential high pick for 2023.  He has another season to make up for this year, his weapons aren't hot, that might change next year.  Will see.  But I don't care enough to debate 2023.  I am trying to dive in as hard as possible for 2022.  

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Today is yet another timely reminder that we badly need a QB. Simply going to have to make that commitment to invest at the position.

• Like 3