Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Wentz will be fine...we play the easiest schedule in the league and the defense has to be better than it was last season. He won't be asked to win game by himself, just don't turn the ball over. If he picks up the offense quickly he'll be fine and so will the team. 

We've had this argument before, we have no idea how the schedule will eventually unfold.  The prediction of the NFL schedule is all about looking at the past performance of the teams and not how the teams might do this year.  It's possible several teams on our schedule take a big step forward.  

I do agree the defense should be better.  I think an underappreciated fact is they really shook up the DL room.  That group was underperforming, and needed to be shaken up.  I'm sad to see Settle go, but he was clearly seen as easily replaceable.  MI probably needed to go. 

I also think, forget the schedule, unless the team is completely ravaged by injury, this could legitimately be a pretty good, talented team.

I do take a different approach on one thing though: I don't want them to go into the season trying to make Wentz a game manager.  I want them to swing for the fences on offense. I don't want them to think they have to run the ball 40 times a game and limit Wentz.  Go for it.  They have McLaurin, Samuel, Brown, Dotson, Gibson, McKissic, Patterson, and the TEs.  That's a lot of weapons.  Go use them.  Sling it.  You're going to get a few INTs along the way.  That's the cost of doing business.  I'd much prefer to see them shoot for 30 points every week, and have an extra few INTs because they are being aggressive than trying to be conservative. 

Give themselves a better margin for error.  Don't be conservative.  Attack success.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We've had this argument before, we have no idea how the schedule will eventually unfold.  The prediction of the NFL schedule is all about looking at the past performance of the teams and not how the teams might do this year.  It's possible several teams on our schedule take a big step forward.  

I do agree the defense should be better.  I think an underappreciated fact is they really shook up the DL room.  That group was underperforming, and needed to be shaken up.  I'm sad to see Settle go, but he was clearly seen as easily replaceable.  MI probably needed to go. 

I also think, forget the schedule, unless the team is completely ravaged by injury, this could legitimately be a pretty good, talented team.

I do take a different approach on one thing though: I don't want them to go into the season trying to make Wentz a game manager.  I want them to swing for the fences on offense. I don't want them to think they have to run the ball 40 times a game and limit Wentz.  Go for it.  They have McLaurin, Samuel, Brown, Dotson, Gibson, McKissic, Patterson, and the TEs.  That's a lot of weapons.  Go use them.  Sling it.  You're going to get a few INTs along the way.  That's the cost of doing business.  I'd much prefer to see them shoot for 30 points every week, and have an extra few INTs because they are being aggressive than trying to be conservative. 

Give themselves a better margin for error.  Don't be conservative.  Attack success.  

i am praying that the reason we avoided your proposed gameplan is because Turner/Rivera didn’t trust the qb. And, I suppose, that’d be fair of them to do.

i just need to see that formation of Gibson, mckissic, Terry, Samuel, Dotson… and I want to see it a lot. Who can cover that?! It feels simple and doable with any qb at the helm, but here’s to turners last chance to impress.

42 minutes ago, CTskin said:

i am praying that the reason we avoided your proposed gameplan is because Turner/Rivera didn’t trust the qb. And, I suppose, that’d be fair of them to do.

i just need to see that formation of Gibson, mckissic, Terry, Samuel, Dotson… and I want to see it a lot. Who can cover that?! It feels simple and doable with any qb at the helm, but here’s to turners last chance to impress.

You literally couldn’t do that with TH because the field shrinks so much based on what he can actually throw.  He can’t throw tight window throws in front of him and he can’t throw quick to the outside.

So you can’t put the ball in his hands to execute that type of a game plan.  That’s why they went and got Fitz.  

With Wentz, you can do it.  The question is, can he execute it?  The answer is we’ll see.

However if they come out and run the ball 40 times in the opener I’m going to be irate.  Unless they win by 20.  Then I suppose I don’t care.  

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Here's my question and its not really Wentz related. But what does this do for the Colts in terms of other players? Will they look at the Wentz situation and say look at how they're doing him, that's not a place I want to be? Is it making them look ?good? I agree with the Junkies who said that if you want them to stop dogging him, stop asking the same question and expecting a different answer, I kinda get that. But at some point you've just gotta say I've answered that already lets move on. 

I think Ballard IMO is damaging his brand and that of the Colts some. I still think money speaks more than anything in FA.    But yeah its really made me dislike that team.  i didn't dislike them previously. 

You'd think they are coming off multiple SB wins.  Since 2015 they've had the same number of playoff seasons as this team.  Yet they are acting like their crap doesn't stink.

I watched their in season hard knocks show and they gave off the vibe that their team is so so special. OK they had the most pro bowlers in the league last year -- they seemed very chesty about that in one of the episodes.    Between that and their off season bashing of Wentz and talk about them missing the playoffs represented some sort of disaster as if they are regulars in the postseason (even though they are not), they come off to me insufferable. 

I used to buy the Ballard narrative to some extent.  He comes off smart and classy.  But I don't anymore -- to me he comes off now full of himself and disrespectful. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Regardless, we play the easiest schedule in the league, if we don't take advantage of that then shame on us. As for your opinion on how you want Wentz to play that will depend on who he has available. TH had limited weapons and managed to stay healthy despite getting beaten up pretty good at times. We'll see how Wentz does and how heathy the team around him is. If Wentz has Terry, Samuel, Dotson, Gibson, McKissic and Logan Thomas available all at the same time then he should flourish given any kind of protection and a running game. 

But the key to the Commanders is gonna be how good the defense plays. We need to get off the field on 3rd down and get the ball to the offense. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think Taylor doesn’t make it out of preseason. He’ll be one of the final cuts.

That would be moronic. He’s a dude that has proven he can win some games and not just against bad teams. He’s an excellent backup and we are lucky to have him, along with Howell as well to develop. There’s some unknown to Wentz but this is the best our QB room has looked in a long time. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think Taylor doesn’t make it out of preseason. He’ll be one of the final cuts.

I will wager a shiny new quarter that you are wrong.

Also, isn't Taylor H off-topic for this thread? I certainly don't see him in the title.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Regardless, we play the easiest schedule in the league, if we don't take advantage of that then shame on us. As for your opinion on how you want Wentz to play that will depend on who he has available. TH had limited weapons and managed to stay healthy despite getting beaten up pretty good at times. We'll see how Wentz does and how heathy the team around him is. If Wentz has Terry, Samuel, Dotson, Gibson, McKissic and Logan Thomas available all at the same time then he should flourish given any kind of protection and a running game. 

But the key to the Commanders is gonna be how good the defense plays. We need to get off the field on 3rd down and get the ball to the offense. 

Just for reference, last year, heading into the season, Washington's SOS was ranked 15th based on the season ending ranks of 2020.  The opponents had a .504 winning percentage.  The Steelers were #1, for what it's worth.  

At the end of the season, we had played the hardest schedule.

What does this prove?  Pre-season strength of schedule analysis is as meaningless as a watering can on the moon.  It means absolutely nothing.

There is nothing to take advantage of.  You don't know how good teams are going to be one year to the next.  It's a year to year league and even a week to week league. 

I agree the defense is going to be key, and obviously health is always key.  Having a legitimate starting QB for 17 games and not 16 plays would be a good start.  

56 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Nah, I don't think so.  I think he's going to be the gameday backup regardless of anything else.

And I'd be fine with that.  Howell has a lot to learn.  The NC offense is SO simplistic and based on the read option, it could take a lot of reps for him to really get comfortable with an NFL style offense.  That's not an cut on Howell, it just takes time to learn things, and you have to practice the concepts, and there are only so many reps to go around.  

The Cooley film breakdown of Howell on the Sheehan podcast was really illuminating.  Cooley liked him (not a ton, but liked him), but basically said there is a lot of learning to do, both form a technique perspective (footwork, being "unsettled" in the pocket" and learning an NFL offense.  

TH knows the offense, and he could come in for an injured Wentz and at least execute the offense.  NOT the full offense, because he can't make all the throws, but at least get the plays called and we know he's a gamer and can have a few good games here and there. 

(As somebody who probably has the reputation of being a TH hater, I'm not.  I know EXACTLY what he is.  And what he isn't.  He's very useful from the perspective of coming in and finishing a game.  I just don't want him STARTING more than a game or two in relief.)

Now, if Wentz goes down early in the season, I think they will quickly transition to getting Howell in the game and getting him live experience, because we know how the TH story ends.  There is no reason to re-read it.

If Wentz went down really late in the season and they were making a playoff push, then they will have to make a choice as to who the best player would be.

Heinicke is going to make the team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the QB2 in literally every scenario. If Howell shows any promise as a starter and Wentz misses any real amount of time I think he becomes the starter. But I don’t see a scenario where Heinicke isn’t the QB2 this season. Under contract and a learning year for Howell unless Wentz goes down imo.

• Like 2

TH really would have to poop the bed and Howell has to throw

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Heinicke is going to make the team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is the QB2 in literally every scenario. If Howell shows any promise as a starter and Wentz misses any real amount of time I think he becomes the starter. But I don’t see a scenario where Heinicke isn’t the QB2 this season. Under contract and a learning year for Howell unless Wentz goes down imo.

I'll go further and say the only way Howell leapfrogs a healthy Heinicke would be the last few games of a clearly dead season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, evmiii said:

With the exception of an injury, I will be surprised if Howell ever sees the game day active roster.  If he shows them enough next year he will then replace Taylor as the backup.  

Yup. Sans injury season would have to be a lost cause before Howell gets a shot.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At the end of the season, we had played the hardest schedule.

What does this prove?  Pre-season strength of schedule analysis is as meaningless as a watering can on the moon.

Then don't look at it that way. Forget pre-season analysis

We played the hardest schedule in the NFL last year, what are the odds of that happening again.

Seems like the safest bet possible that we face an easier schedule this year. If you were gonna bet the fat man on anything, you bet it on that. That seems like a reasonable thing to expect.

Meme: "The less you bet" - All Templates - Meme-arsenal.com

I like Matt Ryan more than most on this thread.  Yet with all the nonstop violins from the Colts about Ryan and all the crapping on Wentz -- feels like its going to be one fun showdown at Indy.  I am really tempted to go, love that town, but if they lose that one it would suck, a win though would be mega sweet.

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/27432/veteran-qb-matt-ryan-brings-a-breath-of-fresh-air-to-indianapolis-colts

Veteran QB Matt Ryan brings 'a breath of fresh air' to Indianapolis Colts

INDIANAPOLIS -- "A breath of fresh air" is how Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Marcus Brady described having veteran quarterback Matt Ryan as the team’s new starter. Brady was referring to having another voice outside of just the coaching staff during the team’s offseason workouts.

To some, the breath of fresh air could also have meant Carson Wentz's short stay had officially ended since Ryan is now throwing passes and working with his teammates during workouts.

“You feel him in this building,” Colts defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said of Ryan.

Defensive lineman DeForest Buckner said Ryan reminds him of former teammate Philip Rivers, another veteran who spent most of his career with one team -- the Chargers -- before ending it with the Colts in 2020.

A presence at quarterback is exactly what the Colts need. The type of presence that carries the respect of the coaches, inside the locker room with his teammates, and on the football field.

That’s what Ryan has brought already since being acquired from the Atlanta Falcons in March.

“I cannot even tell you how refreshing he is. [He has a] very strong opinion, but also very engaging, but very humble, like very humble,” Colts coach Frank Reich said. “Very humble but very strong. It’s just good. It’s a really good dynamic, very professional in every way. It’s just a collaboration, but he also understands he’s coming in and learning a new offense, and he feels that right now, he feels it.”

The Indianapolis Colts hope Matt Ryan solves the quarterback issues that have haunted the franchise since Andrew Luck retired in 2019, at least for the next few years. AP 

The Colts, who have been seeking stability at quarterback since Andrew Luck’s retirement nearly three years ago, don’t look at Ryan’s stay in Indianapolis as a quick one. Owner Jim Irsay said over draft weekend that he would like Ryan, who turns 37 on May 17, to quarterback the team for the next three, possibly four, seasons.

The offseason workouts are still in the infant stages. The passes Ryan is throwing to his receivers are routes against air. Time will tell if things will run just as smoothly moving forward, because remember, there was this same kind of vibe at this time last year with Wentz.

"I can't say enough about Matt Ryan," Irsay said. "There's no way I can sit here and explain to you, unless you look at [general manager] Chris [Ballard] and Frank and different people in this organization's eyes, and see the difference that goes on right now because of Matt Ryan being in this building. His professionalism, his stature still at 36 and coming in here, and we really are fortunate."

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Also, isn't Taylor H off-topic for this thread? I certainly don't see him in the title.

You can talk about Taylor in this thread. The thread creator has a thing about Taylor and that he is not a NFL caliber QB because of his arm strength. The ironic thing is many in media have said Wentz is comparable to Taylor except for arm strength. 

Edited by zCommander

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- Commander Carson and the development of Howell, Kelley and the rest
6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We played the hardest schedule in the NFL last year, what are the odds of that happening again.

50/50.  Either we will or we won’t.

There’s just no way to predict it.  

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

You can talk about Taylor in this thread. The thread creator has a thing about Taylor and that he is not a NFL caliber QB because of his arm strength. The ironic thing is many in media have said Wentz is comparable to Taylor except for arm strength. 

And size, FWIW.

But that’s kindof like saying a 1980 Ford Pinto is comparable to a Bugatti Chiron except for the engine.  

It’s kidof an important aspect of the car, and a key differentiator. 

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And size, FWIW.

But that’s kindof like saying a 1980 Ford Pinto is comparable to a Bugatti Chiron except for the engine.  

It’s kidof an important aspect of the car, and a key differentiator. 

You are right - Wentz is a Bugatti - price wise....but everything else is just a Honda Accord...lol

• Haha 1