Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I think just getting rid of Bruce and some of the other awful elements of our FO automatically provided a huge boost to our culture on its own. Asking if our culture is better now is almost as nonsensical as asking if you're better or worse off after getting a cancerous tumor removed. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think just getting rid of Bruce and some of the other awful elements of our FO automatically provided a huge boost to our culture on its own. Asking if our culture is better now is almost as nonsensical as asking if you're better or worse off after getting a cancerous tumor removed. 

Getting a cancerous tumor, say in your stomach, removed is obviously a good thing. But if you still have an even bigger one, in say your brain, which refuses to be removed you are still going to die.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Getting a cancerous tumor, say in your stomach, removed is obviously a good thing. But if you still have an even bigger one, in say your brain, which refuses to be removed you are still going to die.

4ce5506eccd1d5b824050000?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know if I like this move by the NFL. Couldn't they just wait unit Wentz had settled into the Commanders offense first? If we end up losing to the Jags.... I hope it doesn't mess up Wentz head for rest of the season. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I don't know if I like this move by the NFL. Couldn't they just wait unit Wentz had settled into the Commanders offense first? If we end up losing to the Jags.... I hope it doesn't mess up Wentz head for rest of the season. 

They added 7 FA with a record in guaranteed monies dishes out, 2 1st rounders and a new coach (they know this team and QB).  

The jags are a totally different team, who knows what they're like this year despite being the #1 overall pick / worst team last year. 

4 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

They added 7 FA with a record in guaranteed monies dishes out, 2 1st rounders and a new coach (they know this team and QB).  

The jags are a totally different team, who knows what they're like this year despite being the #1 overall pick / worst team last year. 

Wonder if Peterson is going to have success with Lawrence like he did with Wentz. I think the Jags are going to be pretty good and playing them early might be a godsent. 

• Like 2

I try to go to a home game and a road game a year and the way the schedule is falling its likely its going to the Eagles for the home game and Indy for the road one.  If so, Carson I need you to come through for me on your "revenge" games

Commanders QB Carson Wentz on playing Eagles in 2022: 'It'll be fun -- make for a good storyline'

A fresh start is what Carson Wentz is looking for with the Washington Commanders, but he'll be reminded of past tribulations right from the onset of the 2022 schedule and all the way through a season that plays out like a reunion tour for the former Philadelphia Eagle and Indianapolis Colt.

In a campaign in which Wentz will play against the Eagles for the first time, return to play the host Colts and also face his old head coach, Doug Pederson, he'll begin his Commanders tenure on Sept. 11 against a Jacksonville Jaguars team that essentially ended the quarterback's time in Indianapolis.

"Obviously, it will be a big game, lot of emotions going on running out here at FedEx Field," Wentz said Thursday night on NFL Network's '22 Schedule Release. "First one as a Commander. Lot of familiar faces on the other side of the ball. Obviously, the last game of last year was against the Jaguars as well and didn't go quite as planned, so definitely trying to regroup from that one and hopefully set the stage for this season the right way."

Wentz's debut versus the Jaguars will of course simply whet the appetite for a campaign highlighted by the former Eagles franchise QB facing his original NFL squad on two occasions and also returning to play the Colts.

Carson Wentz Reunion Tour

Table inside Article
Date Opponent Venue Storyline
Sept. 11 Jacksonville Jaguars FedExField Playing vs. Doug Pederson, team that ended his '21 season
Sept. 25 Philadelphia Eagles FedExField Playing vs. team that drafted him
Oct. 30 Indianapolis Colts Lucas Oil Stadium Playing vs. team that traded for him
Nov. 14 Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field Playing at Philadelphia for first time since trade

In Week 1, Wentz will face the last team he played against in 2021, as the Jaguars stunned the Colts in Week 18 and ended Indy's season in the process. At a time the hottest team in the NFL, the Colts went ice cold and lost two in a row to conclude their campaign with Wentz's subpar play often cited as one of the reasons for the team's woes. Ultimately, the Colts' fall led to Wentz being one and done in Indy.

He'll have a chance to claim some individual redemption against the Jaguars, but in the process will also face his former Eagles head coach, Pederson.

Pederson's and Wentz's final seasons in Philly were the same, 2020. Wentz struggled, Jalen Hurts showed promise and the Eagles were grounded to the tune of a 4-11-1 record. Eventually, Wentz was traded to the Colts and Pederson looked to be returning for 2021 before he was let go.

Now finding himself in Washington, Wentz will play his old Eagles squad twice in 2022. The Colts didn't play the Eagles in 2021, so this will be Wentz' first reunion with the franchise that took him second overall in 2016.

The Commanders will host the Eagles in Week 3 on Sept. 25, but the big one will be Wentz returning to Philly on Oct. 30. It's likely a safe prediction that Wentz will not get a warm reception upon his return.

"I know that'll be a big game. A lot of emotions," Wentz said. "I'm sure fans will eat that one up and it'll be fun – make for a good storyline. But at the end of the day, it's going to be just another ballgame. It's going to be a huge divisional game for us when that one comes. So I'm excited for it, but at the same time, I'm trying not to get too excited for that one, because, again, it's just football. Can't press. Can't do too much."

In between the two Eagles games will be a trip back to Indianapolis on Oct. 30. Head coach Frank Reich stumped for the Colts brass to bring in Wentz in the 2021 offseason in the hopes of being the missing QB piece to them being a Super Bowl contender. But Wentz was unable to find his former Pro Bowl form and his stay in Indy was 17 games long and he was traded for the second time in as many offseason.

Now, Wentz is primed to start for his third time in as many seasons.

"I mean I'm going to do everything I can just like I always have, you know, and not try and force anything or push the issue or do anything outside of what I can do and what I can control," Wentz said. "And go out and try and play good football. Be accurate, be consistent, be the same guy, be a leader. I think we have a pretty young squad – trying to be a veteran voice and a leader in that way -- and just go do my job. We have a lot of playmakers out here, and I'm excited to see how this offense kind of takes shape and what we can do."

The Carson Wentz reunion tour kicks off in the season opener. He'll play against two former head coaches and both of his former teams. It will make for some good storylines, indeed.

• Like 1

Shows the power of having a franchise QB.  Bengals and Denver with 5 prime time games.  I like Carson but right now at best he's a fringe franchise QB and clearly most of the national media and I gather the league too based on comments made about the trade think he's average at best -- i think they are wrong about that and I am hoping and thinking that narrative will change after this season.

We are back to not having a single Sunday Night game, which I think it like 4 out of the last 6 years or something like that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zCommander said:

If it does mess up his head for the rest of the season at least we'll find out in week one so we can adjust accordingly. The Jags defense is no joke so our defense may need to win us this game, hopefully not putting it all on Wentz in his first game. Maybe we spread the ball around to Samuel, Terry, Gibson, and Dotson while mixing in the TE? But our defense HAS to play well early and set a tone for the season!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zCommander said:

Will see.  I liked that he said he doesn't want to dwell on the Eagles game because that would make him press.

I think part of this experiment to see if Wentz can be that guy is to turn around the narrative that he presses in big spots.  It sounds like he's at least at stage 1 of overcoming that which is he's aware of the issue.  

He mentioned in that article about not pressing and not trying to do too much.    That seems to be the narrative from his detractors which is his decision making-hero ball burns him too much and he needs to learn to reign that in and the other is when the lights are brightest he presses and struggles too often.

I think he is talented enough and sharp enough to overcome those two issues.  As his friend, Chris Long has suggested, coming to DC might be the right tonic for him because Carson can be a bit stubborn and set in his ways and being discarded so fast from the Colts and going to a team where he doesn't have a security blanket of sorts might be the wake up call he needs to rediscover his form.

Found this article this morning, interesting.  Again this dude doesn't come off like a locker room cancer.  He's not a Jeff George, Cutler type who is miserable in the locker room. 

It's just that he's not a Fitz, Burrow or a Hurts, Ryan or name that QB with some personality who rallies the troops in that fashion.   Daniel Jones for example doesn't come off to me as a rally the troops type.  Herbert is known to be shy.    I think it was Keim who suggested Wentz might fit in better in this locker room because it has plenty of more quiet type of personalities, too. 

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/02/25/former-eagles-malcolm-jenkins-chris-long-offer-insight-into-carson-wentz-saga/

“We played with some locker room cancers. The guy is a good dude, he’s got things to work on,” Long said of Wentz.

“Like you said, he’s not a locker room cancer. We played with him and that’s not it,” Jenkins said.

So what went wrong?

“When he first got to Philly, he didn’t have to be a leader, right. We allowed him to just stay in your corner and worry about being a rookie quarterback. That really allowed Carson to just grow of in a pot, per se,” Jenkins said.

“If anything, he’s a little shy. You’d like to see him reach out more to the other corner of the locker room and that sort of thing,” Long said.

Long and Jenkins believe the contrast in personality between Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles stunted his growth.

“It’s not his fault that Nick Foles is just this guy with crazy magnetism. He’s not the greatest quarterback of all time, but he did do those things where he was like a really social dude,” Long said.

And the lack of communication extended outside the locker room.

“When you don’t handle something and something bubbles and spills over, then you give them the right to write your story without your narrative in it and I think that’s really – we’ve missed Carson’s voice in this whole discussion,” Jenkins said.

And as for reports that Wentz was resistant to coaching: “He’s not the only quarterback who is stubborn, but this has existed as this extreme conversation when he’s got things to fix, but I don’t ever remember thinking, ‘What an [expletive],'” Long said.

“No, never,” Jenkins said.

John Madden once said winning is the best deodorant. Jenkins and Long agree that success with the Colts will help Wentz come out of his shell and give him a way to address his shortcomings.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This is pretty funny....

to be fair RG3 said surprise contender is our ceiling.  Its not like he is saying were going to the SB for sure.  He also said there are a lot of "ifs"  which i think is true for most teams in football.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

to be fair RG3 said surprise contender is our ceiling.  Its not like he is saying were going to the SB for sure.  He also said there are a lot of "ifs"  which i think is true for most teams in football.   

It's funny that it's coming from RG3 and with all the "book" talk, he's kind of turned in to a Commanders homer.  LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I got no problem w/ what he said. If all the "ifs" for most teams come together then your gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

For us it would be

-Wentz performance

-Turner's playcalling working as intended

-Chase and Sweat taking the step

-New O-line Gelling

-Samuel, Dotson, Dyami being actual contributors

-Getting Thomas back in form

-Linebacker's not sinking us

-Overall D rebound

It seems unreasonable that everything works out, but if it does, we are a force.

He also pointed out that he would have felt better w/ another QB like Jimmy G at the helm, because it helps take one of those "ifs" off the board.

Jimmy G does not take any “if” off the board. He is not some clutch winner or even a smart steward of that good 49ers team, he made ill-timed plays frequently. He has the “winner” tag purely by association. The 49ers have succeeded in spite of Jimmy G, that’s why they went all-in on Lance smack dab in the middle of Jimmy G’s prime. I guess he’s charismatic and popular, that could be one “if” with Wentz that Jimmy G would cover. At great cost though when you’re comparing the rest of their football skill sets imo.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If it does mess up his head for the rest of the season at least we'll find out in week one so we can adjust accordingly. The Jags defense is no joke so our defense may need to win us this game, hopefully not putting it all on Wentz in his first game. Maybe we spread the ball around to Samuel, Terry, Gibson, and Dotson while mixing in the TE? But our defense HAS to play well early and set a tone for the season!

If it messes up his head; then he isn’t an nfl qb.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was a pretty cool interview. I like that he describes the offense as aggressive and explosive. He seems giddy like a kid waiting for christmas. 

He also seems really really happy to be back in the East.

• Like 1