Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Do teams really rest guys any longer with the one bye/three wild card playoff? 

It seems like everyone is in the hunt and the seeding are chaos until the last game these days. 

Last year that's what happened with the Cowboy game.

It depends upon whether you can accomplish anything in terms of seeding/opponent/and home away status in the playoff game. Because the conference is so wildly split this year between solid teams, straight garbage, and solid record garbage teams, I have a feeling that Detroit and SF will run away with division crowns, and SF and Philly will battle for the bye. If either gets a 2 game lead down the stretch it calls into question whether they'll even need a win in the final two weeks when we play SF. 

In terms of the rest: Dallas is kinda screwed, despite being a lock as a top 3-4 side in the conference, they strike me as unlikely to catch Philly, at that point, its all about 5th-7th seeding, and their motivation will be entirely contingent on whether they have any chance at all at locking in the NFC South champ, or not, since that champ will be utter ----. 

The question with the Rams, and the Jets regards whether they'll be competitive enough over their next 6 games to have a chance at grabbing a 5-7 seed despite likely playing around .500 ball or a touch below. If they're near .500 when they play us, they have something to play for, if they don't, it will be interesting. The Jets will need to draft a QB soon, to replace Rodgers, the Rams need a reboot, but are probably too good for now, unless they sustain a ton of injuries, to get in the QB zone. So we'll see.

I have a harder time seeing NYJ, or LAR tanking those games, than I see SF, or particularly Dallas resting guys. I 100% could see Dallas do it, or at least pull starters at the half, unless playoff positioning via a win could help them. 

It cost us last year a little bit, and man, if we had had one more loss going in, it would have been a flat out catastrophe (we pick last year inside the top 10 if we just lost the game we tied (or another one) and if Dallas cared about that result and played to win. Instead we pick where we pick, and took a bust (for now) corner, and as we know since, an absolute ton of blue chip guys we could have used would've been available around 8-11 which is where we would've picked (I think 8th or 9th). 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

If you are growing as a team, play Stromberg and Paul (and Lucas because he’s better than what they trot out there).

I think that's Ron attempting to sell the new owners, don't treat this as season 4 for him, this is season 1 with Howell -- this is a reset and a do over, let me finish what I started.  Ron has made other comments that make me believe this is his sell behind the scenes.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think that's Ron attempting to sell the new owners, don't treat this as season 4 for him, this is season 1 with Howell -- this is a reset and a do over, let me finish what I started.  Ron has made other comments that make me believe this is his sell behind the scenes.

well, there's no real reason to be so all in on Charles at least.  He's a free agent after this year so benching him and putting one of the four other players who can play left guard in the spot to try to shore up the line somewhat wouldn't be abandoning the future or something

refusing to adapt is not a sign you should be kept on

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Harris truly possesses all the qualities you describe, this won't be accepted. Your speculative viewpoint on this is quite intriguing relating to Ron attempting to sneak in another year 

• Like 1

It really does feel like Ron is trying to hypnotize the media and new ownership by continuing to answer every question with yadda yadda Sam yadda young QB yadda yadda.  They could ask him what color uniform they intend to wear Sunday and he’d respond “the thing about Sam is he’s young and developing and we’re building around that”.

It is a sad state of affairs listening to this guy.  There’s not much you can say when it’s your 4th season in the 3-4 range again, having dropped 4 of the last 5, and only won squeakers against other dregs of the league.  But to hear him say he believes in and likes what they are doing offensively, and pretends his team was actually competitive just makes him look senile.

I am certain that Harris and Co. see right through it all as they likely have numerous people in the know in their ears.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, MrJL said:

well, there's no real reason to be so all in on Charles at least.  He's a free agent after this year so benching him andd putting one of the four other players who can play left guard in the spot to try to shore up the line somewhat

refusing to adapt is not a sign you should be kept on

Wholeheartedly agree with this. There’s a few things you can do. Play Lucas and move Wylie inside. Play Paul. Play Stromberg. Play Stromberg at C and slide Gates over.

• Like 1

Rivera's responses in those Tweets show how clueless he is.

I thought 7-9 wins before the season but now I would put decent money on us winning 4-5, who are we going to beat?  We've played 4 of the worst teams in the NFL and have only won 2 of those games. I don't see us getting on one of those mid season runs or beating anyone outside of the Giants at home.

This is the worst team of Ron's tenure and not far off the 2019 team.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is absolutely malpractice. I know we have some here who just want to throw, throw, throw. I just don’t understand the reasoning… because we can’t run because our guys can’t run block and our scheme stinks seems to be the main reason.

We can’t pass protect, either, though. Throwing this many times is a recipe for disaster.

This is one of the reasons I really wanted Jahmyr Gibbs, though he would have been gone by our pick. He’s a back who can legit do it all. Can pair him with two of the remaining three and make things more dynamic. 

This is why I wanted Cody Mauch or Torrence in the second. This is why I wanted Stromberg (and to start him). This is why I wanted to sign a quality OL. 

The running game is a young QB’s best friend. We don’t have one both by choice and personnel. 

Though I’d enjoy not running the ball in obvious situations… maybe mix that up a little bit :ols:

• Like 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t have any idea if you can look at Howell’s sack rate as a judgment on him. The OL and play calling have been so bad.

Its mind boggling to see on some of "his" sacks yesterday, there zero WRs running short/quick routes, and those that were not were not facing the ball and were blanketed DEEP. 

Maybe EB bet on the Giants ML parlayed with Bijan under 3.5 yards rushing.  Yes he kept in extra guys to block but when the OLs blocking scheme is getting schooled keeping a back in to take on a blitzer is not enough.

• Like 2

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Its mind boggling to see on some of "his" sacks yesterday, there zero WRs running short/quick routes, and those that were not were not facing the ball and were blanketed DEEP. 

Maybe EB bet on the Giants ML parlayed with Bijan under 3.5 yards rushing.  Yes he kept in extra guys to block but when the OLs blocking scheme is getting schooled keeping a back in to take on a blitzer is not enough.

This has generally been the case. EB gets impatient. The short game is there at times and it looks overall solid. But he doesn’t want to methodically move the ball. He wants to take shots and we get sacked or there is good coverage and we get behind the chains. 

This offense needs to play the long game. Flip the field, move the ball, give this defense long fields to defend. Be patient and let it come to us. Sure, take shots. But wait until we’re ahead of the chains, or in good starting position. 

Throwing to throw is a miscalculation.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is absolutely malpractice. I know we have some here who just want to throw, throw, throw. I just don’t understand the reasoning… because we can’t run because our guys can’t run block and our scheme stinks seems to be the main reason.

He's played half a season in his career and they put the whole offense on his shoulders like he's a seasoned Dan Marino. 

42 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Makes me wonder if a big part of starting Sam was to cover his own ass through excuses. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To doubledown @Thinking Skins as to why we don't want the Martys back.

Look at yesterday.  Would the Giants have won that game without Darren Waller, Jalin Hyatt, Banks and Okereke?  Heck even Isaiah Simmons made a big play for them.  How novel off season additions actually helping right away?

Guys from the off season that actually contribute to wins.  Who did we get?  Nada right now.  And I am not so sure the Giants aren't now just an outright better team than this team.  Giants have had the harder schedule.  Only bad teams they've played was the Cardiinals and the Commanders and they beat them both.  We played the Bears and Denver while they played SF and Dallas and Miami.  They played the Bills much tougher than we did.

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 6.27.41 AM.png

So I've updated my position. I'm not back in the Kyle Smith board. He was let go by Ron so he's not team Ron. But I think he's respected. Question is what's his opinion on QBs and Howell and this roster. 

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t have any idea if you can look at Howell’s sack rate as a judgment on him. The OL and play calling have been so bad.

It's hard to have good play calling with no line.  Like I've heard talk about having no running game so the blitzers can just tee off on the pass but most blitzes we see aren't creative stunts they're overload stuff where whoever has the ball is getting tackle

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

we actually brought in Lucas as an extra blocker a time or two

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It really does feel like Ron is trying to hypnotize the media and new ownership by continuing to answer every question with yadda yadda Sam yadda young QB yadda yadda.  They could ask him what color uniform they intend to wear Sunday and he’d respond “the thing about Sam is he’s young and developing and we’re building around that”.

It is a sad state of affairs listening to this guy.  There’s not much you can say when it’s your 4th season in the 3-4 range again, having dropped 4 of the last 5, and only won squeakers against other dregs of the league.  But to hear him say he believes in and likes what they are doing offensively, and pretends his team was actually competitive just makes him look senile.

I am certain that Harris and Co. see right through it all as they likely have numerous people in the know in their ears.

What I believe Ron is trying to do is build up the roster and franchise to show to Josh he is worthy of sticking around as a team president with EB taking over. 

It’s failing miserably 

• Like 1

This is exactly my fear about what this team could do to Howell. Yes, some of the sacks he takes are on him because he holds the ball too long but he is running for his life every time he takes a snap. That's got to affect his judgment. I think he takes too much risk and I think that's because he is basically trying to carry the entire offense and in fact, the entire team because everyone else has been playing (and coached) so poorly.

I've been afraid ever since the Arizona game that our team will get him killed before the end of the season, if not with a major injury at least get him mentally screwed up in his approach to playing. This is starting to remind me of when RG3 got hit during the Seattle playoff game and I had been literally yelling at Shanahan through the TV to get him out of the game before he got killed. Unfortunately, he was never really the same on the field afterwards. That's not exactly the same situation as now but my fear for Sam is as real.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/commanders-at-risk-of-ruining-howell-s-career/ar-AA1iIbPK

Commanders at Risk of Ruining Howell's Career?

>>The last time a quarterback took the amount of punishment Washington Commanders quarterback Sam Howell has through the first seven games of the season, you would have to go back 21 years to the 2002 season. 

That was when David Carr was the starting quarterback as a rookie for a Houston Texans team in its first season as an expansion franchise. He was sacked 43 times through his first seven games and finished the season with 76, the most a quarterback has ever been sacked in an NFL season. 

Anytime you're drawing parallels to Carr's rookie season and the Texans' inability to protect him, it's never a good thing. But through seven games, Howell's first seven games have nearly been a spitting image of Carr's. 

Howell has been sacked 40 times through seven games, the most in the league. He took even more punishment in the Commanders' 14-7 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. A Giants (2-5) defense with five sacks heading into Sunday had five in the first half and finished the game with six. 

Howell completed 22 of 42 passes for 249 yards with an interception in the loss.

Seemingly every time Howell dropped back to pass, there was a Giants defender in his face. Even on the game-deciding play, Howell had to evade a sack and roll left to give Jahan Dotson time to get open before making an errant throw. 

Reshuffling the offensive line would be a start. Offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas was Washington's best offensive lineman when he made an emergency start for Charles Leno against the Atlanta Falcons on Oct. 15. Starting him on the offensive line is a necessity at this point. 

More emphasis on running the ball would also go a long way toward protecting Howell. Washington only averages 86.1 rushing yards per game, the 26th worst in the league, and has only run the ball 143 times this season, the 29th least in the NFL. Even if the Commanders aren't gashing teams in the running game, patience on the ground will help protect Howell and set up more play-action passes, which can lead to even bigger plays in the passing game.

If any quarterback is going to succeed, let alone one who only has eight starts in the NFL, protecting him should be the top priority. Washington has been the worst at that by a country mile, and if it continues to stay like this or gets any worse, they run further risk of ruining Howell's career when it has barely begun.<< 

Edited by SonnySideUp

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Come on. The OL is garbage. But Howell clearly struggles with pocket awareness. Both can be a problem. 

I don't know.  It only takes him around two seconds to realize there is no pocket and that he needs to protect the ball as he goes down

28 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Come on. The OL is garbage. But Howell clearly struggles with pocket awareness. Both can be a problem. 

I keep seeing this and I think it’s wrong. He has very good pocket awareness. He knows when he has to get rid of the ball… he just doesn’t make great decisions in the moment. He holds it the extra second hoping something comes open and takes sacks because of it. 

But he definitely looks (to me) that he is aware of what is happening.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The Vikings have been absolutely tremendous tonight. They look fast and they are varying their route concepts and getting the ball out incredibly quickly. They are running plays to purposely get the ball out of Cousins’ hands because of Bosa.

Swing passes, screens, short crossers, one step fades, short motions to create space in man coverage. It’s been a clinic. 

It’s everything we don’t do with our offense.

They look fast, smooth and electric.

• Like 3