Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Rivera’s media strategy leaves a lot to be desired. He just handles it poorly. Too honest, too vague, too all over the place. And for some that strategy is perfect. But for this franchise and what has happened with it… that strategy just causes unneeded spotlights to be shined on the most minute of issues and has the opposite effect of what is intended.

Ron doesn’t have a media strategy.  He just says whatever he might be thinking at that moment.  Calling it a strategy is giving it way too much credit

From our first hiring of Ron I shared my negative take on the likelihood of  him  leading this franchise back to even being regular division winners and playoff winners. I have been consistent on my position throughout because that's exactly what I've seen transpire.

Of course I have the typical admiration for the man as a very high quality human being.

When we did win the division I thought the circumstances didn't merit any revision of my take even though I appreciated any form of success, however meager,  after all the years of drought.

At the NFL coaching level (not counting his admirable character as a person) Ron is just the essence of mediocrity.

His w-l record over the years, even in isolation and with all excuses in play, serves as an accurate representation of his hc talent level.

He had one standout year, and some other good stretches within a few seasons in his past, mostly due to the superman qb play of a singular, transitory, talent.

From all I've read of Harris, a great guy with mediocre competency is not who he will want at the top of the coaching tree with all the goals he has for this franchise. 

It's possible Ron will be offered some form of consultancy or advisor presence and Ron may be content with that. But it would take a very unlikely level of success this year for Ron be hc next season.

My hope is whatever players we have of worthy talent will still remain for the new coaching staff (that I think is inevitable) to build upon.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

51 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

From our first hiring of Ron I shared my negative take on the likelihood of  him  leading this franchise back to even being regular division winners and playoff winners. I have been consistent on my position throughout because that's exactly what I've seen transpire.

Of course I have the typical admiration for the man as a very high quality human being.

When we did win the division I thought the circumstances didn't merit any revision of my take even though I appreciated any form of success, however meager,  after all the years of drought.

At the NFL coaching level (not counting his admirable character as a person) Ron is just the essence of mediocrity.

His w-l record over the years, even in isolation and with all excuses in play, serves as an accurate representation of his hc talent level.

He had one standout year, and some other good stretches within a few seasons in his past, mostly due to the superman qb play of a singular, transitory, talent.

From all I've read of Harris, a great guy with mediocre competency is not who he will want at the top of the coaching tree with all the goals he has for this franchise. 

It's possible Ron will be offered some form of consultancy or advisor presence and Ron may be content with that. But it would take a very unlikely level of success this year for Ron be hc next season.

My hope is whatever players we have of worthy talent will still remain for the new coaching staff (that I think is inevitable) to build upon.

Whenever there's a new coach; it's inevitable there will be player turnover for various reasons.   Year 2,3 will see alot of the inherited players gone as the coach find his players.

How many of the current roster will be around in 2-3 years?  We all think there's a core.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I think the best players on our roster, will show themselves to be valuable to the next regime and will be key players in turning around this franchise.  Tears may flow, when you see those guys celebrate a Superbowl win one day. After all, they had to endure and to finally win it all.  I can't wait for that day.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Agree with all of this but with an additional point:

I think Rivera was the man we needed at that time in this franchise’s history DESPITE all that you said (which I agree with). 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 3

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not knowing we were eliminated, flip flopping on starting Sam, until the team said Howell was starting, calling the wrong number on draft weekend 2 or 3 times. 

I'm glad it sounds like he's really stepped back from being the HC except for media appearances. Let ol' man Riverboat hang out with the LBers as he fades towards retirement.

Yeah Rivera coaching wise is looking really hands off.  For me to say he's a ceremonial CEO would take the point too far -- but I don't think he's a mile off that description.

Sheehan said last year he heard that Del Rio is the defacto head coaching running things.  Now we got Bieniemy in the mix calling their practice schedules.

Some say next year put Ron in the FO.  I wouldn't want that if it had anything to do with running personnel.  

29 minutes ago, redskinss said:

SHBURN, Va., -- Washington Commanders quarterback Sam Howell's growth isn't measured solely on whether he completes a throw or not. Or whether he has a good (or bad) practice. It's not that simple.

All of that is taken into account, of course. But there's more. Sometimes, the coaches measure progress by watching his feet. Are they turned properly?

Sometimes it's by asking a question: Why did you make that throw? His answer helps reveal any growth.

And, make no mistake, the second year of Howell's development is a big key to Washington's season. He has worked all spring and summer as the Commanders' starting quarterback, ahead of veteran Jacoby Brissett. Though coach Ron Rivera has told reporters a couple of times "don't sleep on Jacoby," the job remains Howell's to lose.

Through two weeks of camp, there have been good days and tough ones; good throws and bad ones. Just as the team anticipated. The Commanders remain impressed with Howell's command of the huddle, his leadership and his work ethic -- all aspects necessary to building a starting quarterback. They also know he's inexperienced -- with one start and 19 pass attempts -- and that it takes time to become a good NFL quarterback.

One rep, Howell can throw a well-placed ball to Terry McLaurin, away from an oncoming safety and beyond the corner's reach. But another time, he can force a pass in traffic that gets deflected or intercepted.

"Sam's still learning everything in this offense, just like the rest of us," Washington tight end Logan Thomas said. "He's made his fair share of mistakes, just like the rest of us."

The next two weeks will tell a lot about Howell's growth -- as well as for the entire offense. The Commanders will open the preseason on Friday at Cleveland and then will conduct a two-day joint practice with Baltimore on Aug. 15-16.

"When you start narrowing the scope of what he's doing, that's where you've got to see the growth," Rivera said. "The preseason games will be really good for him."

But it's not just about Howell. Washington must learn new coordinator Eric Bieniemy's offense while practicing daily against a veteran defense in the fourth year of a system, one that finished third in yards per game and seventh in points last season. The Commanders also have new starters at four offensive line spots.

Rivera has said often about the offense, "It will take time."

Bieniemy has installed a high volume of plays; coaches say they'll obviously narrow their playlist for games -- which, they said, will help Howell. For now, they're running through a lot to see what the offense retains, to see what works.

Rivera also will point out that he's facing a complex defense every day -- one adept at disguising coverages. And, he said, Howell is limited with making checks or audibles. On July 29, Howell and the offense had a particularly bad day. They improved during the week, culminating with a better showing Wednesday before having an up-and-down day Friday.

"He's had a very good week compared to what happened on Saturday," Rivera said. "And the thing I've got to understand, too, is look at the massive amounts of information that he has to process every meeting."

In the spring, Howell said he would call plays into his phone and play it back, listening to his cadence and the conviction of his calls. He wanted to hear how it would sound to others in the huddle.

...Before some practices in camp, when the three quarterbacks were working on taking snaps from center, quarterbacks coach Tavita Pritchard would call out a play -- and Howell had to repeat it out loud for the others.

"At this point, I have total command of the offense," Howell said earlier in camp. "I feel like in the spring I was kind of still learning because that was kind of the first time I saw all the information and now I've had that spring and now I'm really comfortable."

As Howell learns the offense, the players continue to learn about him. They like how he stays even-keeled. The receivers love how he'll continue to throw downfield, more than the other quarterbacks in camp. Friday, for example, he tried to connect with receiver Dyami Brown deep down the middle with a defender in front and behind him.

"He just has a really good feel of throwing the ball down the field," McLaurin said. "He's going to give guys a chance to make the play down the field and he throws a really nice deep ball.

"It's really cool to see a young guy who's not afraid to continue to give his guys catches or guys opportunities down the field."

Other times, Howell just wants to see if he can stick in a throw. Earlier this week, for example, Howell opted for a secondary target, with the primary receiver open. Howell made it more difficult. Rivera asked him a simple question: Why?

Howell told Rivera, "I had that coach, but I wanted to see if I can make that throw."

That, Rivera said, is what training camp also is for: seeing what throws he can make or can't make.

"He's growing," Rivera said. "I like how he's doing and how he's communicating with us as well."

There are aspects in which Howell has been ultra-consistent, like how he handles negative plays.

"You really don't even see him get flustered even when he's had a few, maybe rough patches during practice. He doesn't hang his head," McLaurin said. "He's not yelling, cussing things like that. He said he's pretty even keel, which is really unique for a young guy like that."

And, Thomas said, his leadership has grown considerably from last season when he was mostly behind Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke.

"He used to be that quiet guy," Thomas said. "He's really taken this, this leadership role of the starting quarterback and ran with it and you know, he demands us to be, to be really, really good."

If Howell emerges as they hope, then perhaps Washington will have solved its longtime quarterback quest. Rivera has started eight different quarterbacks (including Howell) in his first three seasons. Heinicke has the most starts (24) since Kirk Cousins left after the 2017 season.

In the past five years, Washington has the NFL's worst total QBR (37.8); not so coincidentally, the Commanders have a .384 winning percentage in that span.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Article from the summer of 2018

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/08/01/concerning-patrick-mahomes-interceptions-training-camp/

Arrowhead Addict

FanSided

How concerning are Patrick Mahomes’ interceptions in training camp?

By Matt Conner | Aug 1, 2018

DENVER, CO - DECEMBER 31: Quarterback Patrick Mahomes

DENVER, CO - DECEMBER 31: Quarterback Patrick Mahomes /

How concerned should the Kansas City Chiefs be about the number of interceptions from Patrick Mahomes in training camp so far?

Seven interceptions. Adam Teicher of ESPN is keeping count of how many interceptions Patrick Mahomes has thrown so far in training camp with the Kansas City Chiefs. To make note is, of course, to at least bring up the question or concern about Mahomes’ performance so far and whether or not the team should be concerned.

Mahomes is a first-year starter for the Chiefs, a second-year quarterback coming out from Alex Smith’s shadow. That’s a bit problematic because, for the last five years, Chiefs Kingdom has become accustomed to a quarterback who is one of the league’s best at avoiding mistakes. Throwing an interception was a rarity most years, but even just last year, Smith was on another level entirely, leading the NFL with a 1.0% interception rate.

That sort of instant comparison is something that Mahomes will not be able to shake. Some fans won’t care at all, because they’ve been clamoring for more of a risk-taking quarterback in the hopes of a much higher offensive ceiling. But others who aren’t so quick to write off Smith or those not caught up in the Mahomes hype have to at least wonder whether these interceptions will carry over to the regular season.

The Chiefs and even Mahomes himself don’t seem too concerned. Despite the interceptions, Eric Bieniemy still described training camp as “going well” for Mahomes and the team’s offensive coordinator doesn’t seem to be too concerned about these “hiccups.”

"“It’s been going well. I will say he had a few hiccups today, but that’s part of the process. When you are young, you need those hiccups because they become valuable lessons in life. Would we like for him to be perfect? Yes, we would like for him to have the highest passing quarterback rating ever. He just needs to be poised under pressure.”"

It’s early in camp and a first-year starter has to work out the kinks. That much is clear from all parties involved and Mahomes, Bieniemy and Andy Reid have all stayed on script in terms of being loose and unconcerned. Many fans will say the same, but how long until they become concerning? If the trend continues through the preseason games, is it alarming? And how many interceptions are okay during his first actual year of being the team’s starting quarterback.

For now this is all conjecture. Mahomes seems to know very clearly why certain mistakes are being made, and the positive spin makes the Chiefs defense look good. At the very least, for a team that had Alex Smith under center, this is a whole new conversation entirely.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Rivera’s media strategy leaves a lot to be desired

Here's a new drinking game. Every time Rivera is trying to make a point and say's "I really do", take a shot.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Rivera coaching wise is looking really hands off.  For me to say he's a ceremonial CEO would take the point too far -- but I don't think he's a mile off that description.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t take it almost that far.  EN runs the offense, JDR runs the defense, and it seems like EB has basically set the practice schedules.

Maybe Ron is involved in game days, but he’s as “uninvolved” from and X’s and O’s Perspective as any coach I can remember in the NFL.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m not sure I wouldn’t take it almost that far.  EN runs the offense, JDR runs the defense, and it seems like EB has basically set the practice schedules.

Maybe Ron is involved in game days, but he’s as “uninvolved” from and X’s and O’s Perspective as any coach I can remember in the NFL.  

Agree but since he supposedly is involved in the FO to some extent, he's a bit involved if you add it all up but not majorly

On 8/5/2023 at 5:33 PM, KDawg said:

Agree with all of this but with an additional point:

I think Rivera was the man we needed at that time in this franchise’s history DESPITE all that you said (which I agree with). 

Maybe so, but that point is overplayed. If it was someone other than Rivera would we really be any worse off now ?

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe so, but that point is overplayed. If it was someone other than Rivera would we really be any worse off now ?

We arguably may have ACTUALLY bottomed out and gotten a QB if Rivera hadn’t kept us with our heads just barely  above water. 

Now that the team’s been sold to Harris, all this organizational change and culture change was gonna happen anyways. Maybe the roster’s a little better than it would have been, maybe the future FO can really build on that and just plug in a QB. It’s what we all have to hope for.

But there’s an alternate reality where Harris walked into a situation where our records the last couple years had been worse, but we drafted high enough to get a QB. Who knows. There’s probably more value to already have a decent football culture in place. But I think the importance of Rivera steadying the crew while Snyder sunk the ship—it’s a little overstated with the info we have now. I reserve the right to change that opinion if the foundation he left ends up instrumental to a future regime’s success. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I reserve the right to change that opinion if the foundation he left ends up instrumental to a future regime’s success. 

RR was the perfect man for this job. Now, his job is done. It was always going to be the next coach that benefitted from a coulture change.

RR is a .500 coach

EB is far more demanding and will win more often.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear RR laterals into GM type FO role and EB gets a shot at HC gig.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I hate to come across as crass... but if I thought that wasn't the case I wouldn't be continually making the same point.

So yes, I think we would be.

To be clear, I am not saying Rivera is the ONLY guy that could have navigated this team through that storm, but there isn't a large number of guys who could have.

The team is in a much better place from a foundation and asset point of view than it was upon his entry aside from OL. LB is just about in the same sorry state it was before. 

I can tell you this as a person with experience in locker rooms and the inner workings of football politics: Things could be a lot worse than we are right now. A lot worse. This team is in relatively good standing all things considered.

I'm not referencing the record, either, for what it's worth. I'm referencing the overall team and franchise. 

I keep seeing people say his standing here is overstated, and sure, maybe it is. But I'd have to argue that what has happened with this franchise is literally something that has never happened anywhere else and there is still something to work with. I think the storm that he navigated us through is INCREDIBLY understated.

But this is where Rivera's job as HC has come to it's apex. 

It's time after this year, unless he flips the script on what his baseline is. And even then it's probably time. 

He did what he needed to do for this franchise. Now it's time to pass the baton to someone who can get it over the bar. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I hate to come across as crass... but if I thought that wasn't the case I wouldn't be continually making the same point.

So yes, I think we would be.

To be clear, I am not saying Rivera is the ONLY guy that could have navigated this team through that storm, but there isn't a large number of guys who could have.

The team is in a much better place from a foundation and asset point of view than it was upon his entry aside from OL. LB is just about in the same sorry state it was before. 

I can tell you this as a person with experience in locker rooms and the inner workings of football politics: Things could be a lot worse than we are right now. A lot worse. This team is in relatively good standing all things considered.

I'm not referencing the record, either, for what it's worth. I'm referencing the overall team and franchise. 

I keep seeing people say his standing here is overstated, and sure, maybe it is. But I'd have to argue that what has happened with this franchise is literally something that has never happened anywhere else and there is still something to work with. I think the storm that he navigated us through is INCREDIBLY understated.

But this is where Rivera's job as HC has come to it's apex. 

It's time after this year, unless he flips the script on what his baseline is. And even then it's probably time. 

He did what he needed to do for this franchise. Now it's time to pass the baton to someone who can get it over the bar. 

His elite coaching trait of cultivating relationships and building a team first identity has shined from the jump. As you mention, managing a lockeroom and keeping all United for most part is an incredibly difficult task, even in ideal situations. There’s been minimal drama and if drama does breakthrough, it’s quickly resolved since the arrival of Ron. 

Also, I believe coaches should be graded on a +3 or -3 curve in terms of wins and losses depending on if you have an elite QB or not. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 7

If the team miss the playoffs this year and that ultimately ends Ron's time here then he will at least have fulfilled what I originally assumed he was here to do, which was to right the ship of the roster overall.  I think the roster today, despite the missing pieces still there, is monumentally better than where it was when Ron got hired.  I wasn't convinced he was the coach to take the team to the promised land, and until I see what this roster does in the playoffs (if they get there) I won't be convinced to change that opinion.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

If the team miss the playoffs this year and that ultimately ends Ron's time here then he will at least have fulfilled what I originally assumed he was here to do, which was to right the ship of the roster overall.  I think the roster today, despite the missing pieces still there, is monumentally better than where it was when Ron got hired.  I wasn't convinced he was the coach to take the team to the promised land, and until I see what this roster does in the playoffs (if they get there) I won't be convinced to change that opinion.

Its absolutely better without a doubt. But if you don't have QB locked down, it almost doesn't really even matter.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, Conn said:

We arguably may have ACTUALLY bottomed out and gotten a QB if Rivera hadn’t kept us with our heads just barely  above water. 

Now that the team’s been sold to Harris, all this organizational change and culture change was gonna happen anyways. Maybe the roster’s a little better than it would have been, maybe the future FO can really build on that and just plug in a QB. It’s what we all have to hope for.

But there’s an alternate reality where Harris walked into a situation where our records the last couple years had been worse, but we drafted high enough to get a QB. Who knows. There’s probably more value to already have a decent football culture in place. But I think the importance of Rivera steadying the crew while Snyder sunk the ship—it’s a little overstated with the info we have now. I reserve the right to change that opinion if the foundation he left ends up instrumental to a future regime’s success. 

We will know in 2-3 years. If the players Ron drafted/signed are key to the new regime; then you can say he built a foundation.  Some of the players he inherited are key and already on their 2nd contracts.

How much does Sam play on Friday?  He needs to play at least a quarter and then next week a half.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its absolutely better without a doubt. But if you don't have QB locked down, it almost doesn't really even matter.

Every franchise knows this, but even the good ones that recently had great ones are struggling to replace them, same as every other franchise that doesn't have one (ex Steelers and Patriots).

I can agree with a lot of things concerning the need to move on from Ron, jus in the context of how hard it is for even the best franchises to land an elite QB I'm not buying him not accomplishing that should be high on the list.

On the list, sure, but this revisionist history where we are completely uncompetitive worst case scenario and it increases our odds I'm seeing hinted at or outright said in this thread right now.

I'd be shocked if Ron gets fired versus told he won't get an extension.  Every team in our division was in the 2nd round of the playoffs last year and could be back, that's tough for any coach without an elite QB to deal with (BB in New England bout to get a real good taste of something like that this year)

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Some of the players he inherited are key and already on their 2nd contracts

In large part due to Ron. 

Yes he inherited terry, sweat, Allen and Payne but how many of them would still be here if Ron wasn't a coach players love to play for?

How many would be here if he hadn't cultivated a culture of teamwork and made this a place players don't want to run from like a burning building?

How many would be playing at the top of their games and how many would be playing below their capabilities because they're disgruntled?

This is something I believe gets overlooked when evaluating Ron's job of putting this roster together.

• Like 6

If Howell turns out to be the real QB that Ron has never had since he has been here then Ron should be back next year. I am really big on continuity, something we have never had and keep on turning over after only 4 years. Jay Gruden was the last coach that got an extension. Ron is better than Gruden. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Every franchise knows this, but even the good ones that recently had great ones are struggling to replace them, same as every other franchise that doesn't have one (ex Steelers and Patriots).

I can agree with a lot of things concerning the need to move on from Ron, jus in the context of how hard it is for even the best franchises to land an elite QB I'm not buying him not accomplishing that should be high on the list.

On the list, sure, but this revisionist history where we are completely uncompetitive worst case scenario and it increases our odds I'm seeing hinted at or outright said in this thread right now.

I'd be shocked if Ron gets fired versus told he won't get an extension.  Every team in our division was in the 2nd round of the playoffs last year and could be back, that's tough for any coach without an elite QB to deal with (BB in New England bout to get a real good taste of something like that this year)

Sure, Rivera has made attempts to fix the QB position. But at the end of the day his downfall will largely be because of his inability to stabilize that position, unless Howell really is a diamond in the rough.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If Howell turns out to be the real QB that Ron has never had since he has been here then Ron should be back next year. I am really big on continuity, something we have never had and keep on turning over after only 4 years. Jay Gruden was the last coach that got an extension. Ron is better than Gruden. 

Really depends on how it plays out imo. If the QB shows promise but we suffer the same gameday and seasonal issues we always have under Rivera, you have to really evaluate whether it’s better to rip the bandaid off and give Howell the best chance to succeed, or ride what he’s comfortable with. If EB gets hired away (likely if the QB and offense overperform) Howell is starting over anyways—so organizational change on top of it might just be the cost of doing business. 

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Jay Gruden was the only coach that got an extension under Dan

Gruden himself readily admits that his extension was an attempted distraction by Allen and Snyder. He joked about it in a recent interview after the sale. 

Edited by Conn
  • Thumb up 1