Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

38 minutes ago, illone said:

Check the date on that tweet, its about a month old. 

back then most here dismissed it quickly. I think if you did a poll, a higher percentage would think its more viable now. 

If we select him, that's going to be a huge boost for their social network account. I'm also wondering if Adam Peters had a conversation with Jim Harbaugh ?

As you mentioned I really like the ability of a QB to be able to read defenses properly and to call his plays. I've always favored brain and mindset over physical traits.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Keim wants JD and has been trying to manifest it into existence based on he-said, she-said... and no one inside the team.

Now he's hedging his bets. I know he has his defenders, but it feels like he's living off the graces of FO's of the past. My estimation of him and his petty saltiness on social media had plummeted this offseason.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the view that this decision will come down to how much influence the Washington coaches’ preferences have on GMAP. 

The people who “know” GMAP well in the executive world - Elway, DJ, Spielman, etc. - all think the pick should/will be Maye. 

But it’s no secret that coaches league-wide all seem to prefer Daniels, and my sense is that Washington is no different. Do you go against what Quinn and Kingsbury want when making the most important pick you will likely ever make for the franchise? That’s a heavy weight to carry if you can’t build a consensus for Maye internally. On the other hand, you don’t get a pass for going with the consensus pick internally and he busts - this is your pick to own, and he knows that. 

It’s going to be fascinating to see what happens and read the stories that eventually come out (they always do, regardless of how careful you are about leaks predraft) regarding what went into the decision-making process. 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

SEC also had a down year, especially on defense.

Also, didn't Daniels get injured in the Alabama game? So the one game that comes closest to NFL defenders and...he got hurt. Kinda proves the point.

Yep.  And that Alabama defense was terrible in that LSU game.  They got beaten at the LoS and couldn't get any pressure, and the coverages got lost on very basic presnap motions.  They tried playing man all day and left Jayden free to pick up huge yardage on the ground.  One play where Terrion Arnold had his back to the LoS the entire snap, 20 yards down field, totally unaware that Jayden is running by him stands out.  That game is why I'm lower on Arnold than the room.  Dallas Turner hit Jayden hard twice in that game.  The first was a preview of what will happen to him in the NFL when he scrambles up the middle of a defense and tries to string those runs out long enough for pursuit to reach him.  The second one that came in the pocket took him out of the game, and that is a preview of life in the NFL when he doesn't have tackles getting easy wins all day, and he has to stand tall in the pocket to deliver the throw.

1 minute ago, illone said:

😎

IMG_5272.thumb.jpeg.cdc71bbfef8ac78581013982aed364e0.jpeg

That is terrible!

A grown man wagering on a sporting event. Shameful behavior!

I gave you a trophy emoji uhm…as a sign that you need to repent.

Yes, that’s the ticket! Change your evil ways.

(good luck) 😋

• Haha 2

The draft can’t get here fast enough. 

That’s said we then have to deal with the predictable melt downs of some posters if ‘their’ guy isn’t the pick. 

Sigh. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Keim wants JD and has been trying to manifest it into existence based on he-said, she-said... and no one inside the team.

Now he's hedging his bets. I know he has his defenders, but it feels like he's living off the graces of FO's of the past. My estimation of him and his petty saltiness on social media had plummeted this offseason.

He got it wrong when he said he heard Quinn interviewed well and don't count Ben Johnson as some lock and Quinn in a serious candidate. He got it wrong when he said Quinn would indeed sign Cowboys in FA -- Biadiaz, Armstrong.    When Sheehan kept pushing expect a strong shot at a rebrand this off season -- Keim got it wrong by saying he doesn't get a sense its an immediate priority and didn't expect the rebrand to occur this year.

OK, lol, but in all seriousness not ONCE did he said he thinks they will pick Daniels.  Not once did he say he got a source with the team telling him who they are going to pick.  It's just people pushing him if he had to pick one dude they'd take who would that be?   That's all.  He's not the only dude who is guessing Daniels.  But its never been a firm guess and he's never couched it to be anything more than a guess and he even explained why he is guessing that and why isn't not a firm guess.

He never gave a rats behind about who this team picks at #2, why would he become a fanboy of a player and or this team so late in his career?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Offered for those looking for a quick lazy Sunday recap of the weeks most dramatic, but ultimately irrelevant side show.

First comes the kerfuffle…

Next we get the inevitable walkback…

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

image.gif.b2ba0ad1cf1dbc71b6c549fa07f49fb1.gif

25 minutes ago, illone said:

😎

IMG_5272.thumb.jpeg.cdc71bbfef8ac78581013982aed364e0.jpeg

wow.  I try to be Zen with information.  What's being said versus what I want to be said.

I wouldn't go as far as thinking McCarthy is a betting favorite but with those odds, I'd throw some money at it.  Looks like at a minimum it has a chance.

• Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

It’s crazy cause you made almost all of that up and you probably really believe it 

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The draft can’t get here fast enough. 

That’s said we then have to deal with the predictable melt downs of some posters if ‘their’ guy isn’t the pick. 

Sigh. 

I figured y’all lived for this stuff lol

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

wow.  I try to be Zen with information.  What's being said versus what I want to be said.

I wouldn't go as far as thinking McCarthy is a betting favorite but with those odds, I'd throw some money at it.  Looks like at a minimum it has a chance.

I do think it’s odd that there’s a lot of late smoke coming in on JJ. I just like ripping on @illone‘s love affair with the guy is all. 😆

For the record, I said early on in the process that I liked JJ more than most people here. I think he’s a solid prospect. I wouldn’t pick him at 2. 

I won’t be upset if we pick JJ. Surprised maybe, but not upset. 

I just want to FO to get this one right. I don’t really care who it is. Lots of pressure for them to make this pick count. 

I just wanna have a good team again before my brain inevitably turns to mush. 😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Consistent accuracy, combined with fast processing, poise in the pocket, and a quick delivery, leads to an efficient offense. 

At his best McCarthy could be a surgeon, driving his team with total command of Kingsburry's offense, smoothly down the field. 

Dare I say-- he could possibly be a taller, more athletic, stronger armed, Brock Purdy??? (CITR ducks for cover as rotten tomatoes are tossed at him)

I know McCarthy's play very well at least in my own mind.  I haven't watched as much as him as Maye or Daniels but watched plenty. I've probably watched more McCarthy interviews than the other 2.

To me McCarthy is a cross between Alex Smith (intangibles-wheels), Kirk Cousins (accuracy except for touch), Ryan Tannehill (boots-throwing on the run).  

All to me though B level players.  But solid B.  Can McCarthy exceed that ceiling, got my doubts, but obviously I don't know.

If McCarthy is the pick, I'd assume that his interviews was so much better that the other 2 is that you'd have consider that as part of the soup.  If its McCarthy who they are weighing versus Daniels (and I don't know that is the case just pure theory for argument's sake) the antics with the Top Golf incident in particular would help McCarthy look even better because by most accounts the dude is uber mature.

I'd assume actually all the negativity on Daniels on this thread will ultimately serve as a rallying cry from the Maye is bust crowd if its McCarthy.  Heck if I never watched these QBs and read some posts here and rode with them, I'd think Daniels is a cross between Josh Johnson and Colt McCoy with a C level ceiling.  So my prediction is that all of that anti-Daniels emotion would channel into a positive if they took McCarthy because heck at least its not Daniels.  But who knows?  Just a guess. 

• Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Yeah. It’s been a tough off season for Keim and Bram.  Two of my favorites.  I think they’ve both lost objectivity. 

My hope is it’s a blip and they get back to normal after the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Fwiw and credible ?

No. It's draft week. Anything that doesn't come straight out of the mouth of either GMAP or DQ is not credible. Anything.

As far as Keim, he's a good reporter, and I like him, but everything he says right now is basically a very long winded "I don't know".

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

He mentioned that Maye set and adjusted protections at the LoS based on what the defense was doing vs. Caleb and Daniels who looked to the sidelines.

Not sure how much of a flex this is though based off results.

There were an awful lot of free rushers in mayes face pretty quickly this year.

As we’re pondering p2s ratios, and arm strength, processing speed and all kinds of other variables it’s easy to forget that being a qb also requires the ability to motivate your teammates and sometimes that means finding a common denominator— one that literally pays off in victories.

”Show me the money”

Tom Brady spent thousands of dollars bribing his teammates to make big plays, according to former Pro Bowler

Brady knew how to get the Bucs' offensive linemen extra motivated

When it comes to motivating his teammates, Tom Brady was always one of the best. Apparently, though, his motivation wasn't just limited to fiery speeches. According to former Buccaneers offensive lineman Ali Marpet, Brady essentially bribed his teammates to play better during the quarterback's time in Tampa Bay. 

Marpet revealed that information during an interview on the "Wam Bam" podcast. According to Marpet, the Buccaneers' ability to run a simple screen had gotten so "abysmal" that Brady felt like he had to step in, and that's when he apparently decided to start offering cash payments in order to motivate everyone to play better. 

"[Brady] took our starting offensive line to the side and he's like, 'Hey, if you guys can get a screen to go for more than 15 yards, I will give you $1,000 cash each. That is for you guys; so every time that we get that, I will be happy to make that payment,'" Marpet said, via JoeBucsFan.com

If you do the math there, that's an offer that's not cheap to make. There are five offensive linemen, which means that Brady would have to pay out at least $5,000 every time the Buccaneers ran a screen for at least 15 yards. 

Not surprisingly, the linemen were thrilled with this offer.  

"Are you kidding me? Like a little extra juice," Marpet said. "So those kinds of things [Tom did to motivate]."

According to Marpet, the Buccaneers ran multiple 15-yard screens over the rest of the season, which means Brady paid out at least $10,000, if not more. 

"There were definitely multiple 15," Marpet said. "So those kinds of things. Again, Tom just knowing how guys are wired and what goes a long way and inspiring and getting the most out of his guys."

It's not clear when this happened, but Marpet was only teammates with Brady during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, so it was obviously one of those two years (Marpet started 29 games at left guard while playing with Brady and the offensive lineman went to the Pro Bowl in 2021). 

The 2020 season would make a lot of sense for multiple reasons. As Joe Bucs Fan points out, a former Buccaneers player actually called the team out for their "atrocious" screen game in 2020 and if an outsider noticed how bad the screen game was, you can bet everyone inside the building was aware of how bad it was. Also, let's not forget the the Buccaneers struggled late in the season in 2020. The team was sitting at 7-5 heading into their Week 13 bye, but after that, they managed to run off eight straight wins on their way to a Super Bowl victory over Kansas City. 

If this all happened in 2020, then the investment definitely paid off for Brady, who walked away with his seventh Lombardi Trophy. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-spent-thousands-of-dollars-bribing-his-teammates-to-make-big-plays-according-to-former-pro-bowler/

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I do think it’s odd that there’s a lot of late smoke coming in on JJ. I just like ripping on @illone‘s love affair with the guy is all. 😆

For the record, I said early on in the process that I liked JJ more than most people here. I think he’s a solid prospect. I wouldn’t pick him at 2. 

I won’t be upset if we pick JJ. Surprised maybe, but not upset. 

I just want to FO to get this one right. I don’t really care who it is. Lots of pressure for them to make this pick count. 

I just wanna have a

good team again before my brain inevitably turns to mush. 😆

I try to roll with where the information goes and don't kill the messenger if its not what i like. 😎. It just is what it is.  Not that Keim or whomever is always right.  But they have more inside sources than any of us do, so that's all I got. 

And I said for months (not that it's some rocket science statement) that I trust Keim more in the last week or 2 before the draft versus earlier in the draft.  His intel gets better as the draft comes recalling past drafts.

Now he's not saying this is McCarthy's to lose.  But that he's a serious candidate.  And that's somewhat a departure from him -- not that he at any point said no chance for McCarthy but he did say multiple times he doesn't think so.  Now he's saying keep him on your radar.  

He among others have said for eons that this FO plan to take the team visits very seriously.  Maybe something happened there that made McCarthy a stronger candidate.  I keep hearing he's a smart and super impressive person at a young age so maybe they were especially taken by his preperation or something in those meetings.  Their meeting wasn't just the golf event, they met with each one on one, too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He never gave a rats behind about who this team picks at #2, why would he become a fanboy of a player and or this team so late in his career?

I know you worship at the alter of Keim but if you can’t see his bias on this then you’re looking for what you want to see rather than what’s in front of you.  

He’s lost objectively on this.  And he has said his preference was Daniels. Openly he’s said it’s his preference.  

It’s fine.  It’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it.  

But if you can’t see he has an opinion, you’re missing something fairly obvious right in front of you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Llevron said:

The whole SEC defense thing is about the size and speed of the defenders AND the coverages they run. Less about individual talent and more about what the team is actually doing as a defense…..from my understanding. 

Who knows? I could be making it all up to confuse you since we are enemies now. 

It's more talent too. Part of the degradation of the Big-10 performance wise was the movement of jobs from the rust belt to the south and the movement of workers following the jobs. Inevitably athletes follow, as a part of those families. The SEC just has more 5 and 4 star recruits than anyone, and has a bigger pull than anyone in recruiting outside their region. So they get a variety of advantages from it. On top of all that, there's a lot of $$$ in it in part because many of these stats like Alabama and Mississippi's version of pro football is college football. Ohio State has the Browns and Bengals, Michigan has the Lions, Penn State fans have the Eagles and Steelers, but fans in Mobile, Jackson etc only have Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, and Alabama etc. It is their pro game. I still can remember the feuds 10-15 years ago that resulted in some irate deluded, lunatic Auburn or Alabama fan, I forget which, killing some sacred football tree with like arsenic or something that was like 130 years old or something just based on the rivalry. 

Just now, redskinss said:

Not sure how much of a flex this is though based off results.

There were an awful lot of free rushers in mayes face pretty quickly this year.

That happens plenty of times, even as part of the protection shift.

There was a video where Maye was breaking down some of his film with Colt McCoy. He said he realized the defense was in cover 0 and knew that they were bringing the house and there would be free rushers, but also that he'd have a guy to go to in a certain matchup without safety help over the top for a deep shot.

So he shifted the protection so he would know exactly where the free rusher would be coming from, then post snap he intentionally drifted to his right a little bit, away from where the free rusher was coming (and he was right about who the free rusher was) to give himself an extra half second, and dropped a dime for a TD.

Also, his OL sucked, so there were plenty of times his guys simply got beaten like drums and he ended up with a guy in his face regardless of a correct protection call.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Jayden Daniels is not Randall Cunningham. 

This was always a lazy comp. 

Randall moved around the pocket like Barry Sanders ducking and juking guys. Ive never seen JD play like that. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I still don’t understand why McCarthy has been discounted the entire cycle. 

Me either. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2