Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I agree. I’d be concerned for him if we had Fort Knox as our offensive line, which we do not. Without the additional weight to cushion impacts against his bones, joints, and organs, injuries will be reoccurring and stunt his career.

It's a shame and I hope he proves me wrong but it's true.  A humble, super talented QB that I respect a TON but what is, is and he can't help that.  

• Like 1

So that's where we're at now in stupid season. 

Maye is worth record compensation, throw out the draft chart, but not one but two teams who desperately need a quarterback are going to pass on him.

Does logic not factor in to these Imagined scenarios?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Daniels is -180 odds on both DK and FD FYI.

Odds are meant to entice bettors and rake in money so the books win no matter what happens—they are not trying to predict the future or be “correct” in outcome. Just make money and entice bets on both sides. Sometimes people forget that. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

FWIW. 

Also, I’d be excited to have Daniels. A bit more worried though. Short term and long term. 

Something that I haven’t seen talked about a lot is, what happens if both are great. How long do you get peak Jayden Daniels? His game is so tied to his athleticism, and he’s already an older prospect. Drake Maye could be peak Drake Maye for 12 years easy. Is Jayden going to be fading in 7 years because his athleticism is waning at age 30? Even if he never does get that massive injury?

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, Jags said:

Yeah, my point was we saw in a Redskins jersey what he looked like when he couldn't move anymore.  Even pure passers need that elusiveness and instinct to move around in the pocket.  Marino and Big Ben were deceptively elusive pocket passers that could extend plays big without running at all.  McNabb could run.  It was a big dimension of his game.  And when he lost that and his body couldn't do what it instinctively did his whole life when pressured, he was a fragment of his former self.  His game disintegrated.

And yeah, that happened after a fantastic career, but the same thing happened here with RG3 very early in his career, and again just recently with Chase Young.  When someone has that kind of freakish ability from infancy, sometimes they don't (and don't have to) develop the same skills and fundamentals as everyone else.  But then a couple injuries pile up, that elite first step goes away -- the thing that made them special -- and they go from hero to average overnight.  And it can happen just as easily in season 1 or 2 as it might in season 17.

You can't possibly know that Daniels could lose his mobility and still be a great pocket passer without it.  His body does something entirely different when pressured than a QB without that athleticism.  Learning how to do it differently would be like learning to walk again.  Not impossible, but very difficult.  His could easily be a brittle body in the NFL, and he has cavalier running tendencies.  Might not be a recipe for disaster, but whatever it is won't taste good or go down easy...

His career was over when he got here. How did Peyton look in Denver? You're reaching.

26 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

His career was over when he got here.

Without reading the whole post, I’m going to try to guess who you’re talking about here. So far, I’ve got it narrowed down to about 500 players that this could be.

edit: oh ****, I just realized it doesn’t have to be a player. Could easily be a lot of coaches, too.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Conn said:

Odds are meant to entice bettors and rake in money so the books win no matter what happens—they are not trying to predict the future or be “correct” in outcome. Just make money and entice bets on both sides. Sometimes people forget that. 

It looks like that the odds are mixed, just like mock drafts. Many have Maye as #2(MGM), and some have Daniels. I'm glad I'm not a gambler

56 minutes ago, Conn said:

I know what odds are set to do. Would you rather bet $100 to take home $250 on Maye or $100 to take home $155 on Daniels? Seems like Maye would be enticing.

Edited by OtisDriftwood25

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I know what odds are set to do. Would you rather bet $100 to take home $250 on Maye or $100 to take home $155 on Daniels? Seems like Maye would be enticing.

Seemed you were posting Daniels’ odds as if it meant something in regards to what might actually happen, no? You didn’t post Maye’s (until now). 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

So that's where we're at now in stupid season. 

Maye is worth record compensation, throw out the draft chart, but not one but two teams who desperately need a quarterback are going to pass on him.

Does logic not factor in to these Imagined scenarios?

Yeah it doesn't make sense. And some of the guesses on what the Vikings would trade to move up are ludicrous. Stop using the Trey Lance deal as a guide, he wasn't that highly thought of like this class. It's like we never had a chance to trade to 1 for Luck. Vikings aren't trading up with one of the two teams in position to draft a QB WHO HAVE NO QB ON THEIR TEAM TO START. 

1 hour ago, NOLA2DC said:

His career was over when he got here. How did Peyton look in Denver? You're reaching.

How did Peyton look in Denver? His first 3 season there he looked absolutely awesome - he threw 37, 55 and 39 TD passes. His final year he fell off the cliff - but was carried to a Super Bowl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

How did Peyton look in Denver? His first 3 season there he looked absolutely awesome - he threw 37, 55 and 39 TD passes. His final year he fell off the cliff - but was carried to a Super Bowl.

I stand corrected, I was thinking about his last year. In reference to my initial post, McNabb spent one year here, and one in Minnesota, and those were his final years.  

• Like 1

In the following short (under 3 minutes) video, Kurt Warner is asked point blank who he thinks the second best qb in the draft is by Rich Eisen. 

His “answer” may well surprise you, but his answer isn’t what I found fascinating about this video. What interests me is the single specific attribute that Kurt values most in a quarterback.

Warner believes that there are many factors a qb needs to possess to be successful (some of them are listed below), but one trumps all the others, because without it he’s doomed to failure.

In fact, Kurt says that he can’t  fairly evaluate a potential qb’s prospects without first determining whether the player possessed this single quality/ability/trait.

Take a few moments, before watching the next video, to consider which of the following characteristics you think Kurt Warner would prize most.

arm strength

escapability

overall athletic ability

processing ability

pocket awareness

foot work

height and weight

overall mechanics

general aptitude/intelligence (using Wonderlic or other metrics)

faith and spirituality

leadership

desire

intuition

imagination

toughness

compassion

Now watch and see if you’re right…

Did you get it right and more importantly do you agree with him?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

41 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

In the following short (under 3 minutes) video, Kurt Warner is asked point blank who he thinks the second best qb in the draft is by Rich Eisen. 

His “answer” may well surprise you, but his answer isn’t what I found fascinating about this video. What interests me is the actual qualities that Kurt values most.

Warner believes that there are many factors a qb needs to possess to be successful (some of them are listed below), but one trumps all the others, because without it he’s doomed to failure.

In fact, Kurt says that he can’t  fairly evaluate a potential qb’s prospects without first determining whether the player possessed this single quality/ability/trait.

Take a few moments, before watching the next video, to consider which of the following characteristics you think Kurt Warner would prize most.

arm strength

escapability

overall athletic ability

processing ability

pocket awareness

foot work

height and weight

overall mechanics

general aptitude/intelligence (using Wonderlic or other metrics)

faith and spirituality

leadership

desire

intuition

imagination

toughness

compassion

Now watch and see if you’re right…

Did you get it right and more importantly do you agree with him?

Isn't that the element the hardest to predict? Mr Money man himself adds:

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I grew up in Philly and I'm 50, so I watched every game of his. Randall is GOAT at that style at a time it didn't exist. Watch the video I posted.

I did, brought back memories. well, i watched part of it. had to grade papers. Great stuff and yeah, he's definitely faster than I remembered. Can't figure out what his 40 would be, but now its not hard to imagine low 4.5 to high 4.6. I remembered flashes of plays in particular, so bummed the playoffs never worked out, something always went horribly wrong (although one of those times was great for us). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

I remembered flashes of plays in particular, so bummed the playoffs never worked out, something always went horribly wrong (although one of those times was great for us). 

image.gif.fba7f7a9cc9dd531d5434bcd8feb0ae3.gif

7 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I did, brought back memories. well, i watched part of it. had to grade papers. Great stuff and yeah, he's definitely faster than I remembered. Can't figure out what his 40 would be, but now its not hard to imagine low 4.5 to high 4.6. I remembered flashes of plays in particular, so bummed the playoffs never worked out, something always went horribly wrong (although one of those times was great for us). 

With one of the greatest defenses ( I think the 91/92 Eagles D was better than the 85 Bears), HoF QB and WR and still couldn't win a SB.

I think its a stretch to always assume a shiny QB prospect made a difficult read of the defense... without knowing who was the primary receiver. or in his head was looking to throw to "his guy" regardless of what the D did. Did the coach tell him be aggressive this series? Or. that is a street grade DB target him!

A QB can't see everything e.g. 1 DB of 5 that had outside leverage may not even be seen by the QB but if it helps the narrative we roll with hey he read that right and assume it points to future greatness. Did the QB really notice his 3rd read DB had outside leverage or are we assuming he did because there was a completion.

Just throwing **** and ranting but something is wrong in the way we grade QBs since so many experts fail in their prediction. Sugar coating plays is a suspect. In the end I think the NFL playbook and OL are huge factors in a QBs success but we are stuck focusing on the pass past because its all we have to look at.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

With one of the greatest defenses ( I think the 91/92 Eagles D was better than the 85 Bears), HoF QB and WR and still couldn't win a SB.

Dent,Hamton, Marshall.... carried that team to a S.B. win. I go with the 85 Bears best ever. Did they ever play a Champ. game while Buddy was there.  Eagles were the best at trash talking, no dou't about that. NYG. D was up there too in that Era.  Reggie White, Lawerence Taylor best ever. Gibbs owned Buddy in the playoffs.  

• Like 1