Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

If he was actually at 210 or so I think he would have weighed in at the combine and called it a day as that's his listed weight on the LSU site. I wouldn't be surprised if he's under 200 at the moment.

I agree he would have done it at the combine if he was 210. I think he's probably over 200, but not by much. He said he was working on it last offseason. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Please stop with this stuff. This. Doesn't. Happen.

Every year there's some skinny player that everyone just says "Oh in the NFL he can put on another 15-20lbs and be fine." It doesn't work that way unless you want the guy to drink melted ice cream until he puts on 20lbs of pure fat.

If you draft Daniels it has to be with the underlying assumption that he's not going to magically pack on 20lbs of muscle and he'll most likely be hovering around 200lbs or so. Then you take that into account when evaluating.

Yes thank you. 

Also, people need to stop just assuming NFL strength training regimens are leaps and bounds above D1 college programs, especially a top notch one like LSU's. Makes me laugh when people say "when player X enters a professional strength training regimen" as if he was chopping wood and punching bags of meat Rocky style in college.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes thank you. 

Also, people need to stop just assuming NFL strength training regimens are leaps and bounds above D1 college programs, especially a top notch one like LSU's. Makes me laugh when people say "when player X enters a professional strength training regimen" as if he was chopping wood and punching bags of meat Rocky style in college.

In some cases those top tier D1 weight training facilities and coaches are much better than in the NFL. Take a look at pictures of the Commanders weight room. Now take a look at a picture of LSU's weight room. Yeah.

The vast majority of gains are made between high school and college, when the guy is still growing and he also moves into a much more refined and regimented lifting routine at a big college program.

Daniels was listed at something like 6'4 173 when he came out of high school IIRC. So if he's anywhere close to 200 he's probably put on just about as much muscle as he's likely able to with such a slight overall frame.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

In some cases those top tier D1 weight training facilities and coaches are much better than in the NFL. Take a look at pictures of the Commanders weight room. Now take a look at a picture of LSU's weight room. Yeah.

Yep that too. Although our strength training was given an A(then again I think the guy Ron hired got busted for drugs or something lolol).

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

And there’s the trade-back camp… I don’t believe we reach for a qb at #2 if there’s a qb-needy team after free agency.

I HATED the recent Dotson and Forbes picks (should have had olave and Gonzalez) when most on here didn’t have a problem. I’m seeing the same scenario here if we draft maye or Daniels… 

too many are brainwashed into thinking that if you have a top pick it must be used on a qb. It simply isn’t the case… ask the jets.

One thing I never hear from the TBC argument is the logical conclusion that every pick gained from the trade-back has to be GIVEN BACK UP in the subsequent years to move up to try and get a franchise QB. And even after giving back the king's ransom to move back up, it might only be for the #3, #4 or 5th rated QB in that draft. Pull the trigger now when the cost is zero except for the pick it's self. Don't overthink it.

• Like 2

And I had a little more time, so I'm taking @clskinsfan's advice and watching the UNC vs. UVA game from 2023.  

Bottom line up front.

- Maye and Daniels are absolutely a tier higher than McCarthy.  And the gap is wide.  I'd argue Maye is ahead of Daniels, but that might be personal bias towards a type of QB.  I like a strong armed QB who wins from the pocket, can extend plays but isn't looking to run, is looking to pass, and can run for yardage if needed.  (I'd put both Mahomes and Allen in that category.)  That's personal preference.  Daniels can be successful in the NFL, but you'd have to make sure the offense was catered to him.  Maye can run any offense.  

- Arm strength is absolutely ahead of both McCarthy and Daniels, and it's not remotely close. Arm talent isn't everything.  But it's a nice thing to have.  Maye can stretch the field sideline to sideline and from the LOS to the endzone basically on every play.  

- I don't think the footwork is as big an issue as others.  I think he might have happy feet because his OL is absolutely horrendous.  When they lose a block, they lose immediately, and Maye is evading from the top of the drop. I was actually impressed a few times where he managed to organize himself to make off-balance throws.  

- There were more NFL worthy throws in this game than in the Daniels and McCarthy games combined.  

- He hit the top of his drop, made a read, and threw the ball on time/rhythm more than either Daniels or McCarthy.  Like, a lot more.  

- Maye presses the ball down the field.  Took deep shots much more regularly than either other QB. 

- His deep ball is hit or miss.  When it's on, it's perfect. But he overthrew 3 potential TDs by 6+ yards. Which is kindof "eeek." 

- There were some "chef's kiss" throws.  I can remember one from Daniels on a deep fade, and none from McCarthy.  Daniels had a few "chef's kiss" runs.  Maye had 5-6 just absolutely gorgeous, just like you draw it up deep passes.  Perfect velocity, perfect touch, perfect accuracy, just perfect.  

- Ran the read option a few times.

- He's NOWHERE near the running Daniels is.  Maye is athletic.  Daniels, if he breaks the pocket, can scamper for 15 yards.  Maye can't do that.  He evades and looks to pass.

- He is not the reason they lost this game.  He made maybe 5 mistakes on poorly thrown balls.  There were 8 obvious drops for big yardage.  The OL is atrocious.  And while I didn't watch UVA's offense, they managed to put up 31 points, and they weren't given short fields. 

- I'm guessing here, but there are probably games where he could get happy feet or could be inaccurate. He was inconsistent through the middle of the game with some inaccuracy. If he had a bad game, maybe that's worse.   There were a few times he was very inaccurate in this game.  So, if you're watching those games, I could absolutely see how you might think he's got a ways to go.

- Here's a possible knock: I thought Maye was, overall, very good in this game.  In order to win this game, he had to be perfect.  He had to overcome drops, a bad defense, and a pitiful OL.  He wasn't perfect.  He has the tools to be perfect.  He showed perfection on a number of plays.  But overall, the performance was inconsistent.  Much more good than bad. Like, much, much more.  But if he hits a few more of the passes which were inaccurate, MAYBE they eek out a win.  Maybe not.  

There is no way I would pin this loss on him at all.  He's the only reason they were in the game to begin with.  He evaded, pressed the ball down the field, played really well.  But he was still a little inconsistent.  Is that troubling?  I don't know.  You can look at it 2 ways:

1. He has the tools to be great.  He's young.  He'll learn.

2. He's just inconsistent, and that's going to be a thing with him because it's hard to grow out of.  

Are his bad games just because he's inconsistent, and while he was maybe 10:1 good:bad in this game, it flips and it's 6:4 in a game where he's struggling?  Can that be fixed?  Why is that?  

After watching these three, my opinion is Maye is a much more prototypical NFL QB and has all the tools.  I also think Kliff and Quinn are going to LOVE the fact he just takes shots.  He sees a matchup he likes, he gives his guys opportunities.  He's going to go down flinging it deep.  Which can be exciting or excruciating.  

I could get behind either Daniels or Maye.  Maye fits my personal preferential style better.  Either could be good.  I want nothing to do with McCarthy.  He's not on the same level as Daniels and Maye.  I might watch Penix and Nix next weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised if I came away thinking one of them were better than McCarthy.  There was just so little to like in the McCarthy tape.  

Play summary (Damn, this game had a lot of plays.)

Play 1: Play Grade: B.  Quick out to the right.  Catch and throw and it was accurate.  

Play 2: Pay Grade: B+.  Deep shot.  He threw the ball from his 12 to the sideline at the UVA 30.  That's 60 yards in the air.  It was well defended, but it hit the receiver in the hands.  It ight have been 2-3 yards to far to the outside, but the route was run poorly to the outside, so he put it where his guy could catch it.  

Play 3: Play grade C-.  Quick shot to the outside.  Threw the ball too far to the outside, receiver couldn't catch up.

Play 4:  Play Grade: B.  Scramble then throws the ball away.  The LG and LT completely blow a protection and there is an immediate free rusher up the middle.  Maye scramble to his right, throws the ball away.  During the scramble, the RT loses, so there is no up-field scramble option.

Play 5: Play Grade C.  And it couldn't have been any higher. Quick WR screen to the right.  Ball got there when it should have, play was kindof blown up.

Play 6: Play Grade B.  And it couldn't have been any higher.  Quick out to the right.  This should be like taking candy from a baby, and it was.

Play 7: Play Grade: A.  UVA shows a 5 man pressure, the LB on the line drops.  So they bring only the 4 down lineman.  For reasons probably only known to him, the RT ignores the DE, and double-teams the tackle, turning the DE free right where Maye was trying to throw.  He pulls it down and scrambles for the first.  

Play 8: Play Grade B+.  Flea Flicker. After getting the pitch back, May flicks it from the UNC 40 to the UVA 27, basically on a rope.  That's 37 yards.  If anything, maybe a tad high, but good throw in general. If it was 8 inches lower it would be an A grade.  

Play 9: Play Grade A+.  TD past on a skinny post.  This was an NFL throw on an NFL concept.  The receiver splits the safety and the corner and Maye puts the ball, mostly on a rope, right between them.  If that throw is .5 seconds late or doesn't have the velocity, it's an easy INT. But it was perfect.  Note on his footwork.  It wasn't great, it was a little sloppy.  But if THAT kind of sloppy is what we are complaining about, it's really shouldn't be hard to clean up.

Play 10: Play Grade C.  Throw away.  He got good protection, was working the left side of the field, wasn't there, came back and flicked it to the right out of bounds.  Did a funny "hop" thing.  Footwork was janky.

Play 11: Play Garde A.  This was a 3rd and 8.  The primary read was a deep slant, or a deep cross, or something like that.  Protection was good, and Maye waited for the receiver to enter the proper window and then nailed him.  Really good velocity and accuracy.  Also threw it to make the receiver go down to get it so he wouldn't get de-cleated by the safety closing from the front side of the play.  This was an NFL read and throw.  Damn.  Sadly, the receiver dropped the ball.  It was ruled a catch then overturned. Should have been caught.  Mahomes couldn't have thrown that one any better.  

Play 12: Play Grade A.  Dropped pass which hit the receiver right in the "6".  Right on time, perfect pass.  Bad drop.  About 20 yards on a dart straight down the middle.

Non-play #1 - There was an defensive off-sides, pressure immediately, Maye threw it away.

Non-play #2 - Pressure right up the gut.  He slightly underthrew a deep pass on 3rd and 5, possibly because he had a defender about to give him a hug around his stomach, but still go the ball to the receiver, who dropped it.  It was called defensive holding, should still have been a completion.  

Play 13: Play Grade C.  Incomplete pass.  This was a quick read and a throw to the left on some type of a slant. The receiver started on the right side of the formation and crossed all the way to the right.  Throw was a little high and a little behind the receiver.  But ... it hit him in both hands.  Pass could have been better, so down grade.  That's the 3rd drop in a row.  Yeesh.  

Play 14: Play Grade C.  Pass batted down.  I'm not sure who's to blame.  Looked like the timing was ok.  

Play 15: Play Grade A.  TD pass.  About 40 yards in the air.  Wide open receiver, and he couldn't have handed the ball to him any better. 

Play 16: Play Grade B.  And it couldn't be higher.  Completion for 6 yards.  Little stop-route to the left.  Catch and throw, was right on time.  

Play 17: Play Grade B+.  Completion for 11 yards.  Little play-action from shotgun, then immediate pop pass to the outside. Near hash to sideline.  

Play 18: Play Grade D.  Incomplete pass on deep shot.  He should have had a TD.  Receiver got past the defender.  There was time.  He just overthrew the receiver by about 6 yards.  Granted, it was a 60 yard throw down field. 

Play 19: Play Grade D. Almost identical play to the one before.  Just massively over thrown.  

Play 20: Play Grade C.  Incomplete pass on 4th down.  Was flushed, rolled right, threw it to a receiver, defender made a great play to break up the ball.  

** I would almost downgrade Play 20 a notch just because they should NEVER have been in that position.  Either play 18 or 19 should have scored. Blech.

Play 21: Play Grade D.  Incomplete pass short left.  Just a bad pass on a timing pattern.  Side Note: This was a 3rd down pass. They ran on first and second down and got to 3rd down. Everybody knows, that's not my favorite stragery.  

Play 22: Play Grade B+. Short pass for 5 yards.  Maye was working the deep left part of the field, it wasn't there, came across in timing of the play to hit the second read for 5 yards.  

Play 23: Play Grade C.  Overthrow deep down the field. However, I think there was something wrong with the route combination which might have thrown Maye off.  Both the outside and the slot recievers ran go-routes.  Like, stride for stride.  Which brought 4 defenders into the coverage.  Maye put it out there, but I'm not sure if he might have been trying to put this ball out of harms way as well.  Unlike the 2 previous overthrows which were clearly just bad throws.  

No-Play #3.  Defensive off-sides.  Maye put it on the hands of a receiver, it would have been a contested catch for a big gain, but it was some combination of knocked away/dropped.  I like that he knew he had a free play and aired it out.

Play 24: Play Grade B+. Completion for 7 yards.  What he was looking for wasn't there, Maye evaded to the right, threw all the way across his body to a WR standing at the sticks.  Impressive that he was able to organize his body to make that throw. If he didn't throw it right then, he would have been CRUNCHED.   Fancy footwork to get out of trouble and extend the play. 

Play 25: Play Grade B+.  Completion for 12 yards.  Looked off to the left, then came back around to the right and threw a dart on a stop/ route.  Well timed.  

Play 26: Play Grade B+.  Completion for 15 years.  Outside receiver just ran an out and Maye put it on him.  NFL throw there.  Easy read.  1:1, off coverage.  Receiver pushed like he was going deep, then broke the route off and the ball was right there.  Absolutely beautiful completion in the timing of the play.  

Play 27:  Play Grade: Not graded.  QB designed run.  I don't grade designed runs. I will say, however, this was a true "option" run.  Maye kept it and then option-passed it after gaining 4 yards.  Tricky.  

Play 28: Play Grade C.  Incomplete pass deep right.  This ball was maybe .5 seconds late or it's a completion.  Ball traveled probably 40 yards in the air.  This is the first ball where I think he could have put a little more zip on the ball, he might have had a deep completion. Or throw it a beat earlier. Or throw it a bit more to the outside.  DB came to break up the play. Receiver should probably still have caught it, had 2 hands on it and was bringing it in.    It wasn't a bad throw.  But it wasn't a great throw.  

Play 29: Play Grade: Not graded.  Designed QB Draw.  I don't grade QB designed plays.

Play 30: Play Grade B.  And it couldn't have been higher.  Completion for 15 yards, mostly YAC. Play action, then a quick, short pop to the outside.

Play 31: Play Grade: Not graded.  Designed QB Draw.  I don't grade QB designed plays. (This was a TD QB Keeper though on a read-option look. Again, tricky.)

Play 32: Play Grade F.  This is the first really bad pocket presence play of the game.  Primary read wasn't there, Maye tried to evade to his right, but basically ran right into the RT and DE who were engaged.  Ooops.

Play 33: Play Grade C.  And it couldn't have been higher.  Screen pass for 0 yards.  It was 3rd and 18. They called a screen, it was fine and went nowhere.

Play 34: Play Grade C+.  Delayed blitz which came in un-touched.  Maybe got the ball out.  Might have under-thrown the route a little but, but the receiver also fell down.  

Play 35: Play Grade A.    Completion for 10 yards.  Blitz coming off the right side, Maye sees it, fakes out the blitzer and throws a dart to the receiver where the safety who blitzed should have bee.  Great play, and really good job not getting frazzled with pressure in his face.  Just stepped around it and made the throw.

Play 36: Play Grade B.  Completion for 10 yards.  Play Action, keeps the ball, rolls left, organizes himself and throws for a 10 yard completion. Throw was a bit low.  Higher throw and the receiver might have gotten YAC.  He caught it on his knee, so in college, he's down.  

I don't normally grade non-plays, but I'm going to grade this one: Play Grade A. 50 yard TD completion.  Play action, reads, sets, throws a bomb which is caught perfectly in stride.  Damn nice throw. There was a holding which had no impact on the play from a protection perspective.  Sadly, it didn't count.  Probably the right call.  The TE who got called had no reason to even touch the rusher, the ball was out.  

Play 37: Pay Grade B+.  17 yard completion to the left side.  There was immediate pressure, Maye hung in and threw a deep out.  Not as beautiful as a couple of others, but a good throw.

Play 38:  Play Grade B+.  Dump-off completion which turns into a big gain.  Both tackles lose almost immediately.  Maye steps up, evades to the right, and then lollipops a ball over a defender's head to a wide open check down.  Who turns up field and gets good YAC.  

Play 39: Play Grade B.  Incomplete on a slant.  This was a timing route, receiver open.  Ball hit him in the hands ... and he just dropped it.

Play 40: Play Grade C.  Incomplete to the back corner of the end zone.  Throw was late.  If he gets that out earlier, it has a shot. It's probably incomplete no matter what, though.

Play 41: Play Grade B.  Incomplete mid-right.  Play-action, rolls to the right.  Throws on the run and hits the receiver in the hands ... and he just drops it.  

Play 42: Play Grade D. Incomplete middle.  This was a deceptively difficult throw and Maye erred on the side of caution.  He had a WR in the middle sandwiched between defenders.  He had to get it over the near defender and down to the receiver.  He over-shot it by about 8 yards.  Bad pass.  My guess is he was going to absolutely take the incomplete rather than risk throwing it too low and getting it picked off, because he literally had to throw it over a guy who's probably taller than 6 feet, and then drop it into the receiver 3 yards behind him.  I wonder if there was anybody else he could have gone to.  I couldn't tell.

Play 43:  Play Grade A.  Deep pass for 30 yards to mid-field.  The Right Tackle loses so badly to the inside the LDE ends up on Maye's left side.  He slides to his right and throws a dime with touch 30 yards down field.  Great play.

Play 44: Play Grade B+.  Deep pass for 30 yards to the 20.  This was just a simple deep slant type of route, receiver got inside leverage, Maye put it on him gain of another 30 yards.  

Play 45: Play Grade: Not graded.  QB Designed Run, not graded. Though I think this was another read-option, and Maye might have made a bad decision to keep the ball.  

Play 46: Play Grade: F.  Miscommunication on the direction of the route. Maye threw inside, receiver sat down in a spot.  UGLY.

Play 47: Play Grade C+.  Incomplete in the end-zone.  UNC is down 4, 3:15 to go in the game, 3rd and 12.  The entire OL was on roller skates being pushed backwards. Because it was 3rd and 12, he had to hold the ball for a beat longer to let the routes develop. The LG was basically picked up like a rag doll and delivered into Maye's lap.  (Humorously, the DT kept pushing him backwards until they were about 15 yards behind the play). Maye gets an up-tick for evading and throwing a reasonable ball.  But it was incomplete.  So down-grade for that.  

Play 48: Play Grade C. Incomplete on 4th and 12.  He identified the 1:1.  I'm not entirely sure what the plan was, back shoulder, over the top, whatever it was, it was close but not complete.

---  From here, it's desperation time.  Down 4 with 1:12 to go, no time outs.

Play 49: Play Grade C.  Complete for 4 yards. Clock runs.  Total jail break on the OL.  Maye evaded and got rid of it.  

Play 50:  Play Grade B+.  Complete for 17 yards.  Maye evades pressure, rolls left and throws a dart to the sideline.

Play 51: Play Grade B+.  Complete for about 14 yards.  There wasn't immediate pressure, so he could step in and drive a ball to a crosser.

Play 52: Play Grade B.  He extended the play, he couldn't see anybody worth taking a shot to, so he threw it away.

Play 53:  Play Grade - Not his fault.  It was an interception.  The left tackle loses immediately.  Like, gets his hands on the DE and doesn't even cause him to break stride, and Maye is in throwing motion and gets hammered and the ball flutters to a UVA defender.  

Game over. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

From the limited tape I saw, had the same conclusion as Voice of Reason: McCarthy looks to me, well behind Daniels & Maye.

As an admitted novice,  I thought Daniels protection was better than Maye's; he seemed to have plenty of time in the pocket & was good at exploiting the gaps that opened up and had the confidence to wait for that. Obviously won't have that luxury at the top level but shows smarts & quick thinking. An absolute athlete on the run, and evasive, but how sustainable with the body size? Would need a stellar protection scheme. Also had a couple of "go to" guns out wide.

It's hard not to think Maye's size would be more attractive to a re-building franchise. Too simplistic? Strikes me he's basically got the solid skills to invest around & like was mentioned, had nowhere near the protection Daniels enjoyed, but generally handled the pressure ok.

Much enjoy the banter in here.  can't wait for all to be revealed. 

O

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have flip flopped between Maye and Daniels. First there was no contest. Maye all the way. Watched some of the highlights.  Liked both.  Listened to “experts”.  Started to hear worrying things about Maye, regarding strange inaccuracies even on easy passes.  Went over to the Daniels camp for a while.

At the moment, still unsure.  The thing that would worry me about Maye is what is causing these inaccuracies.  If it’s simply inconsistent mechanics, we can deal with that.  If he is not processing things fast enough, then that is very concerning.  Either way, I would be tempted to sit him in first year in whole or part.  In addition, I would want to see what the OL is doing before sending him out there.

I feel Daniels would be better suited to start week one. The issue of his slight build and not having top notch arm strength his only knocks from what I have heard.

I just don’t know.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

I have flip flopped between Maye and Daniels. First there was no contest. Maye all the way. Watched some of the highlights.  Liked both.  Listened to “experts”.  Started to hear worrying things about Maye, regarding strange inaccuracies even on easy passes.  Went over to the Daniels camp for a while.

At the moment, still unsure.  The thing that would worry me about Maye is what is causing these inaccuracies.  If it’s simply inconsistent mechanics, we can deal with that.  If he is not processing things fast enough, then that is very concerning.  Either way, I would be tempted to sit him in first year in whole or part.  In addition, I would want to see what the OL is doing before sending him out there.

I feel Daniels would be better suited to start week one. The issue of his slight build and not having top notch arm strength his only knocks from what I have heard.

I just don’t know.

Both IMO have fundamental issues to fix-learn so for me its a toss up as to who needs to sit.

Maye -- hurries his throws without settiling his feet on the first level sometimes -- McNabb style where it makes some easy throws look hard.  Doesn't adjust his feet consistently to his targets when throwing off platform which leads to inaccurate throws.

Daniels -- doesn't throw much with anticpation, that usually doesn't bode well for the NFL it was one of the knocks on RG3, guys aren't always that open where you can wait for them to get open and then throw.  Takes Howell style many sacks in the pocket, doesn't throw much on the 2nd level, wants to run versus throw off platform.

You can argue that Daniels is older, will be 24 (Maye is 21 going on 22) later in the season.  And he could run.  So the combination of being more mature as a player and moblity gives him the easier start in the NFL.  But you can also argue that Maye throws with anticpation, does throw off platform, and throws a lot on that 2nd level which is the sweet spot in the NFL so maybe he's more ready?

As for who is more ready hard call?   I like Maye's potential more because of his age and tools over Daniels.  Also comes off more an extrovert-natural leader than Daniels lead by example style.  But Daniel's uber mobility makes him intriguing to say the least.

chi.png&h=110&w=110

Is Fields on the move?

Graziano: I'm still not hearing anything to convince me the Bears won't take USC quarterback Caleb Williams with the first pick in the draft, which means I believe they'll trade Justin Fields. But they did not find the market they were hoping to find for Fields, so as of now, they're waiting to see what happens with Cousins, Baker Mayfield and maybe some others, and what kind of market emerges once those situations sort themselves out.

The idea that Chicago could get a second-round pick for Fields no longer seems likely, but it's always possible that one of these QB-needy teams will get panicky once other options fly off the board, so it behooves GM Ryan Poles to wait. Right now, the message the Bears are getting back from teams is that they don't consider Fields more of a sure thing than other potential one-year options such as Sam Darnold or Drew Lock, who wouldn't come with the fifth-year option decision that Fields' eventual team will have to make by early May. It's an odd offseason in which the supply at the quarterback position seems to be higher relative to the demand than usual, which works in favor of the teams who are looking for quarterbacks and likely drives the price down in these kinds of trade talks.

Fowler: Some around the league are starting to wonder whether the Bears have any enticing offers. But one word was used by a source on the situation: "Patience." The Bears aren't panicked despite no deal reached for a Fields trade. If somehow Cousins and Mayfield re-sign with their respective teams, Chicago suddenly has potential leverage with Atlanta. Or if Mayfield leaves, does Fields jump into the fray with Tampa Bay? Letting a few dominoes fall is risky, but it also isn't the worst thing.

pit.png&h=110&w=110nyg.png&h=110&w=110lv.png&h=110&w=110

Who will get Wilson?

Graziano: The Giants and the Steelers have already spoken with quarterback Russell Wilson, and I don't think they'll be the only teams to do so. The key thing to understand with Wilson is that he is practically free. He is owed $39 million fully guaranteed from the Broncos this season no matter what, and any money he earns from another team this year will be offset against that $39 million -- meaning the Broncos basically get that amount back. Wilson has no motivation to do the Broncos any favors, so he has no motivation to take anything more than a minimum salary deal. If you want Wilson on a one-year deal, the most you would have to pay him is $1,377,500 (the $1.21 million minimum salary established by the CBA and $167,500 in additional veteran salary benefit compensation that Article 27 of the CBA allows you to exempt from your salary cap).

One team I'm watching closely for Wilson is the Raiders, who could address the quarterback position in the draft but are currently picking in a spot (No. 13) where whoever they get might not be ready to play right away. The idea of Wilson playing in the AFC West, where he'd get two games a season against the team that's paying his salary, is a fun one, and I'd bet he agrees.

Fowler: Pittsburgh's interest in Wilson is indeed real, as was assured to me by a team source. Wilson arrived at the Steelers facility on Friday afternoon and had what a source described as a "very positive" meeting with the club. While the team has begun the process of rebuilding Kenny Pickett -- offensive coordinator Arthur Smith recently visited him in South Florida -- the Steelers were always bringing in competition. This would be that and then some, as it's hard to imagine Wilson as anything other than a starter.

I'm told Wilson is eager to help his new team on the contract front and enters the free agency process looking not only for the chance to win but also a team with an infrastructure for winning and has done it consistently. Pittsburgh fits that mold. Let's see how this shakes out, but the Steelers appear well-positioned.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39691968/2024-nfl-free-agency-latest-buzz-news-rumors-signings-contracts-trades

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 80's Fan said:

From the limited tape I saw, had the same conclusion as Voice of Reason: McCarthy looks to me, well behind Daniels & Maye.

As an admitted novice,  I thought Daniels protection was better than Maye's; he seemed to have plenty of time in the pocket & was good at exploiting the gaps that opened up and had the confidence to wait for that. Obviously won't have that luxury at the top level but shows smarts & quick thinking. An absolute athlete on the run, and evasive, but how sustainable with the body size? Would need a stellar protection scheme. Also had a couple of "go to" guns out wide.

It's hard not to think Maye's size would be more attractive to a re-building franchise. Too simplistic? Strikes me he's basically got the solid skills to invest around & like was mentioned, had nowhere near the protection Daniels enjoyed, but generally handled the pressure ok.

Much enjoy the banter in here.  can't wait for all to be revealed. 

O

What's your take on McCarthy and the distance between? 

Was this video already discussed? This is the JoeA "Money Where the Film Is" QB analyst who has been the MOST in the tank of anybody for Drake Maye. He's calling Maye's performance in the 2023 UNC - Virginia game - which I and most others have mentioned as Maye's worst performance - one of the best he has ever scouted. It's interesting to at least listen to how he can even claim that. I've maintained yhat his NC State game, which many cite as a bad performance, was really pretty solid when you look at it in context and at each of his actual plays. But I didn't see that with the UVA game. But this guy goes way deep into defending him. Interesting to look at some of his other QB analyses as well.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Was this video already discussed? This is the JoeA "Money Where the Film Is" QB analyst who has been the MOST in the tank of anybody for Drake Maye. He's calling Maye's performance in the 2023 UNC - Virginia game - which I and most others have mentioned as Maye's worst performance - one of the best he has ever scouted. It's interesting to at least listen to how he can even claim that. I've maintained yhat his NC State game, which many cite as a bad performance, was really pretty solid when you look at it in context and at each of his actual plays. But I didn't see that with the UVA game. But this guy goes way deep into defending him. Interesting to look at some of his other QB analyses as well.

Thanks. I'll watch it.  I never really thought the Virginia game was that bad, so many drops in that game with receivers struggled to seperate.

One of the things Logan Paulsen said was getting his hands on the All 22 made him like Maye a bit more and Daniels a bit less than he did previously.  He started big time as Daniels is the dude at #2.  He's now in the Maye camp of wanting him at #2.  Looks like his pal Hoffman went on that same ride.

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Why would I go through all of that when I can draft a QB with ideal size, a cannon arm and is still very athletic?

For me that answer would be because you like Daniels better and don't want to rush a kid into starting day one regardless of which QB you take. In other words, you think Daniels will be a better pro in the long run and are willing to be patient with him.

1 hour ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Was this video already discussed?

This is the game I watched for the humorously long play by play breakdown about 15 posts up from yours.  

I wasn’t go that far.  It was good.  But Maye made some mistakes and was inconsistent as well. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is the game I watched for the humorously long play by play breakdown about 15 posts up from yours.  

I wasn’t go that far.  It was goodt Maye made some mistakes and was inconsistent as well. 

Yeah I saw your strong analysis and I tend to agree with your takes more than JoeA....but some of his reasoning is interesting to hear, at least. 

My take on the top 3.

Willams is a very talented QB that is not going to be able to wether the adversity that is just a part of the NFL.

Maye has the potential to be special if the scheme he is put in plays to his strengths. Has prototypical NFL QB build, elite arm, and is also somewhat athletic. 
Daniels if put in a scheme to maximize his talents is going to be very good until he is inevitably injured. 

• Like 5

So Mel is trying to speak into existence Daniels is a lock at #2.  

I love Mel.  But there are times when I think he knows what’s going to happen and goes the other way just so on draft night he can be ornery.  

He’s also trying to speak into existence McCarthy is challenging Maye for the third string position.

Bram has bought fully the pick is Daniels.  Though he’s allowing for the possibility it might be Maye, finally.

I don’t think he’s right.  But we’ll see. 

The McCarthy thing is a sell job.  He should be nothing better than a 3rd round pick.  

Fair to say New England really likes the top 3 QBs in the draft?  They know they will get one (if not JJ).   I suppose it’s not like Mac was someone they wanted to build around anyway so maybe reading into it too much but feeling like they and others think the top 3 are no brainer picks.  None of the top 3 teams appear interested in a trade down either.   

• Thumb up 2