Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The combine is basically just an extension of the Senior Bowl now where QBs are concerned. The ones who can possibly help their draft stocks will participate (Penix, Nix, McCarthy, etc) but the ones who feel good about going high will save it for pro day. 

Also head coaches not attending seems to be a growing trend

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I doubt he runs either. QBs projected to go in the top 5 stopped running at the combine a while ago  (Richardson doesn't count, he wasn't projected to go that high until after the combine)

“A while ago”? Fields ran in 2021.  2022 doesn’t really count. 

You would think a QB whose main attribute that sets him apart from the other prospects is his ability as a runner would want to showcase that trait, similar to what other athletic “freaks” have done. Kind of interesting to me that Daniels is bowing out of that. 

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Daniels is going to have to run a 40 somewhere, as his running ability is a huge part of his game. I'd guess it will be at his pro day.

That’s fine for individual teams who are there clocking it I guess. But I personally will never trust a pro day 40 time. 

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I also don't feel like we can afford to waste this #2 pick again like what happened with Chase Young. We need to be sure we get an all pro player with this pick or with picks we get by trading back. All this being said, I understand the draft has risk but a player like MHJ doesn't seem like a prospect with a 60% chance we'll be wrong on . Maybe our analytics guy, Chen, will have some thoughts on all of this as well? 

This is the one approach I think they can’t take. I think the two viable options are (a) take a QB at 2 or (b) trade down. 

The only players who can possibly be worth the price people will pay for QBs are…QBs. If we decide we don’t Daniels or Maye, it certainly appears there will be no shortage of suitors who do want them. Some team would likely pay a price comparable to the haul CHI got last year from CAR for the right to take their QB1/QB2 in our pick slot. Looking at a future 1st, plus maybe a couple 2nds. And a good young player? Whatever it is, it would be a rich return. 

No matter who your top non-QB is in the draft, they’re not worth that. I think Harrison and Nabers are great prospects, but if the choice is between Marvin Harrison Jr. and a package of several valuable assets, the choice has to be the picks every time.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

You would think a QB whose main attribute that sets him apart from the other prospects is his ability as a runner would want to showcase that trait, similar to what other athletic “freaks” have done. Kind of interesting to me that Daniels is bowing out of that. 

Its not a big deal to me. Lamar didn't run. Stroud and Young didn't run. Burrow, Lawrence and Tua did not run nor throw. He can just run at his pro day but teams can decide whether they care where he does it I guess? I mean, I have been saying for weeks I didn't expect any of them to do anything so its not really shocking news to me. 

Also that article I posted singled out Saleh for some reason but Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Jim Harbaugh, Matt LaFleur, Mike Tomlin and many other HCs also aren’t attending. That tweet made it seem like it was just the Jets coach. 

I guess we'll see if Quinn will be there?

17 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I've been saying for a while that the top 3 probably won't be doing anything at the combine but getting measured and doing interviews. This has been a growing trend for a while now. Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Tua all those guys did nothing at the combine. I think agents are basically deciding that if they feel confident their client is going in the top 5, its not worth it. 

They can just do everything at the pro day. 

I am curious how the LSU Pro Day will go with Daniels, Thomas Jr and Nabers. 

They know they are the top 3 as NFL social media has dictated it.  This is what happens year in and out.  Some might not like it and I don't but once it began it has become more common.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The combine is basically just an extension of the Senior Bowl now where QBs are concerned. The ones who can possibly help their draft stocks will participate (Penix, Nix, McCarthy, etc) but the ones who feel good about going high will save it for pro day. 

Also head coaches not attending seems to be a growing trend

image.gif.3c385cdb977174046a31202206b8b24e.gif

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

image.gif.3c385cdb977174046a31202206b8b24e.gif

Let it continue to grow and become more and more of a growing trend and the Combine might go bye-bye and there will only be Pro Days.  NFL is all about making as much $$$ as they can.  They will not lose money on the Combine if this continues, I would think.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I was actually going to use 2021 as a comp for this year. QBs went 1/2/3 that year and none of them did drills at the combine. The next 'tier' (Fields, Jones, Trask) did run. 

I think this is definitely a 'hate the game, not the player(s)' situation, with agents pulling guys out of things left and right. Ironic, since the combine was originally created so players could just go to one place instead of the various 'camps' teams previously ran. Now, players don't do the drills, and coaches increasingly don't even go to the combine, sending scouts/admins instead.

Combine is great for unknown prospects who dont go to a big enough school or have enough national recognition to get their own pro day. its not going away anytime soon.

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Here is my question though if head coaches aren't bothering to attend the combine either, who are the interviews with? Coordinators and scouts primarily? It says some people aren't even sending their coaching staff?

Gms and FO people I guess

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Here is my question though if head coaches aren't bothering to attend the combine either, who are the interviews with? Coordinators and scouts primarily? It says some people aren't even sending their coaching staff?

I hear teams are using psychologists/similar for the combine interviews, creating profiles for review by GMs/coaches.

Has anyone seen anything on Twitter about what Washington plans to do? I have not seen anything reported.

The entire Seattle coaching staff is skipping it because they said they need to focus more on install and preparation 

EDITED. Peters and Quinn will be there. They're speaking.

Looks evenly split between coaches attending and coaches skipping it.

20240225_234522.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am glad our coaching staf fis going. This is such a huge year for us, having 6 picks in the top 103 and 2 overall. Nailing this draft could obviously really set us up. 

Regarding Daniels, I never thought he would run. He is going to eat 30k calories a day for the 2 weeks prior, lead weights for the 24 hours prior and drink 2 gallons of water before he weighs in. He was never going to run. And it wouldn't be smart for him to throw either. 

I wonder what Mayes will do. I really want to see what he measures, and I'd love it if he ran and jumped. If he throws, and kills it, looking better than everyone else, that could help him solidify the 2nd spot. However, I think there is probably more risk for May in throwing. If he doesn't really stand out as head and shoulders above the other guys in throwing drills, it could open the door for Daniels. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That’s fine for individual teams who are there clocking it I guess. But I personally will never trust a pro day 40 time. 

exactly. Laron landry ran 4.3 and was never that fast ever again… that seems like one of the first times i realized players deployed “40 yard dash” coaches just so they could clock well. 

My trust in the entire draft process is very low, esp pro days. 

• Like 1

Hmm Gemini info cutoff date is allegedly June 2023 plus it's got some hallucinations in there (Daniels win against LSU in 2023? Nope that was late 2022.  Daniels is only 6'0"?).

So it's roughly as good as the average fan, I see.

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Certainly possible. Remember the vaunted 2012 class with RG3 and Luck? Well the best QBs from that class were 3rd rounder Russel Wilson and 4th rounder Kirkland Cousins.

Its a numbers game. Sometimes 16 beats dealer 10 and 20 loses to a dealer 6.

Luck and RG3 were better QBs, they got

chewed up in the meat grinder of the NFL.  Agreed that sheer luck is a huge factor in determining career outcomes.  Kirk is an intense grinder who did his best with every opportunity he received, but he was also the luckiest player of that 2012 class.  He's going to retire the richest twelfth best QB in league history.  Teams have tripped over themselves to pay him top five money ever since the first time we franchised him.  His brand is so strong now because of that Netflix show that it's going to happen again despite him coming off an Achilles injury and heading into his age 36 season.  Basically until that Achilles injury, from the moment that RG3 tore up his knee, every hand that Kirk was dealt broke his way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gooseneck said:

I've tried Several times to watch this guy's videos but I just can't.

I watched 15 minutes of this one and gave up.

He rambles and rambles and rambles, 

There was about 2 minutes worth of content in that video stretched out to 34.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I've tried Several times to watch this guy's videos but I just can't.

I watched 15 minutes of this one and gave up.

He rambles and rambles and rambles, 

There was about 2 minutes worth of content in that video stretched out to 34.

Wait, people don't watch YouTube videos in 1.5x or higher speed? I don't have the patience to watch anything in normal speed. 

I haven't watched the video yet, but that guy is usually decent enough compared to other YouTube opinion people. 

Just now, spjunkies said:

haven't watched the video yet, but that guy is usually decent enough compared to other YouTube opinion people

I guess as far as youtube opinion people go he's ok.

Maybe it's just those videos in general I can't stand, because I have seen worse.