Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is your world. 

Maybe you're right, maybe not. Some of us like to play out other scenarios and use logic to say what if something else happens. 

Just like I said "what If Mayhew is not fired at the end of the season" and people got all up in arms like I was doing something illegal. Its cool if you don't want to entertain these scenarios but this years draft class is not like the Luck & RG3 year or the Tank for Tua year (which wound up also having Herbert) or the Burrow year. Instead we have 3 first round QBs who a lot of people are not sold on. Then when you look at age (Caleb Williams - 22, Drake Maye - 21, Jayden Daniels - 23) and contrast that with the guys in the NFL with experience (Howell - 23, Fields - 24), its not as easy a decision as you make it. If it is for you then cool.

There are two options. These conversations are happening all over DC - in bars, on Twitter, at workplaces etc. If EXTREMESKINS will not be a place for whether we keep Howell, trade for Fields, then I think that's sad but I'll just move the conversation back to Twitter. But you're being naïve to think that nobody's having this conversation. Just like people were naïve to think that it was naïve to think we wouldn't keep Mayhew and EB (even for a few days). 

*shrug* I can’t control what anyone else talks about and acknowledged people’s right to do so multiple times in that post. I suspect there will be dozens and dozens more pages doing just that. You cut most of that part of my post out, but I assume you read it. 

I’m simply advocating for living in reality in terms of the things people invest their hopes in. Like I already said—if it’s just for fun, just to talk shop, it’s academic, whatever. To each their own. But I do think reality needs to be acknowledged at times in these discussions when they go completely off the rails. 

You’re the worst offender lol (while still being a good poster—this isn’t an insult). Doesn’t mean you can’t post what you want. But you were still coming up with Howell/EB as the future scenarios like two days ago. You go down these conversational wormholes on twitter and then bring that back here—and that’s fine, it adds another angle to any discussion. But it shifts the foundation you’re posting from so much that sometimes it feels we’re posting from different realities. When really you’re just surrounded by different opinions all day. That’s not a bad thing. But as a way to explain my point of view, let me say this: twitter and Facebook have some of the least informed fans on the planet and I happen to think that a small message board like this has a more curated brand of weirdo who mostly really knows their ****. So I don’t find them to be equivalent “braintrusts” at all. So sometimes the stuff you bring here is shockingly out of line with “truths” that I see as self-evident. Which is more on me than you. And I’m sure that’s the same for you as well, it’s just a different frame of reference.

I won’t have you play the victim like anyone is silencing you though. That wasn’t the point of my post at all, we all value our time differently (and what we spend it discussing). We can all post whatever dumb ideas we want on here within the rules. But along with that comes the right to point out when we think some of the stuff being posted is dumb, on both sides. As much as you are allowed to keep talking about Howell and EB and trading down, etc…I’m allowed to say that I think some of it is a waste of time. Neither of us are victims in that scenario. But I think I laid out my reasoning quite well (you just edited it all out of your quote to focus on the more inflammatory part that offended you). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Justin Fields isn’t a good qb and likely will be out if the league in 3-4 years.

Sam can have a good backup career and maybe gets a shot at starting in a better environment.

We have the #2 qb. While the top 3 aren’t certainly locks, we are drafting one of those qbs.

The only way Sam might of gotten a shot here is if we didn’t have a Top 5 pick.

Anyone that bets their future with Fields , whether that’s Chicago or some other team; they are likely to be fired.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Look at the Giants. They just ANNOUNCED that Daniel Jones is going into the year as the starting QB. Now I was laughing all year with my Giants fan friends (you know I love some low round QBs) about how Tommy D was their new QB, but now I just hang my head in shame. I mean we all do. Are they not even going to try for a QB to get better? Jones was crap. And they are letting Barkley go. 

I'm not trying to turn this into an around the NFL thread. But with a legit GM, I think we can really get somebody to come in and see what needs to be done and say (hmmm) Howell isn't Broken, just like Goff wasn't broken, or just like Cousins wasn't broken or just like Tua wasn't broken. Or a number of other examples. I know there are a lot of other examples of lower and late round picks that he has similar stats to, but that's on Howell to show the new guys that he's worth investing in. Jones has the benefit that (1) he's a first rounder, (2) he has that contract (3) he has been there so many years and people there already love him. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Look at the Giants. They just ANNOUNCED that Daniel Jones is going into the year as the starting QB. Now I was laughing all year with my Giants fan friends (you know I love some low round QBs) about how Tommy D was their new QB, but now I just hang my head in shame. I mean we all do. Are they not even going to try for a QB to get better? Jones was crap. And they are letting Barkley go. 

I'm not trying to turn this into an around the NFL thread. But with a legit GM, I think we can really get somebody to come in and see what needs to be done and say (hmmm) Howell isn't Broken, just like Goff wasn't broken, or just like Cousins wasn't broken or just like Tua wasn't broken. Or a number of other examples. I know there are a lot of other examples of lower and late round picks that he has similar stats to, but that's on Howell to show the new guys that he's worth investing in. Jones has the benefit that (1) he's a first rounder, (2) he has that contract (3) he has been there so many years and people there already love him. 

4. They had no WR's brought in a few stiffs. 5. There head coach is overrated and A.Hole to players coming off the field when things do not go right. No wonder they now have no DC. 

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Justin Fields isn’t a good qb and likely will be out if the league in 3-4 years.

Sam can have a good backup career and maybe gets a shot at starting in a better environment.

We have the #2 qb. While the top 3 aren’t certainly locks, we are drafting one of those qbs.

The only way Sam might of gotten a shot here is if we didn’t have a Top 5 pick.

Anyone that bets their future with Fields , whether that’s Chicago or some other team; they are likely to be fired.

agreed... Fields is not the answer. Also with recent changes to the NFL... a backup qb is a very important commodity and requires a highly skilled qb (just below starter quality) as there is a very good chance he will play in multiple games per season 

Issue is for backup QB you want:

1. Experienced veteran that can help a rookie learn a new system, be a sounding board, show how to prepare for games, etc. Sam is too new and inexperienced to help in this way. 

2. Be good enough to win games in a pinch

Sam at this point is not a good backup QB.. at best he is a #3. Now he might learn and get better and actually become a starting QB at some point, he has the tools. But the way he finished, i am not sure I can trust him to come in and win a game. I would love to keep Brisset, not sure we will though. 

36 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I would still offer Sam a contract extension this year along the lines of a 4 year 40-50 million dollars.

That is such a bizarre take. LOL! I like Sam Howell, I have not hidden that fact, and believe the offensive scheme did not play to his strengths. It is hard to know what they are anymore honestly. But my head says EB only threw the ball maybe 30% of the time, and that is not a good structure for any QB, let alone a 1st year starter.

BUT the fact remains Sam fell apart.  I think they need to bring in a GM, watch a lot of tape, talk to Sam, and if they believe Sam could be "rehabilitated" here in a new scheme, with a rebuilt O line that has actual talent, then see if he can perform. He is still on a rookie deal, and if you think he has potential why deal him?

But I am like everyone else here. We have an opportunity for a new QB. We have to swing at it and then build around them and hope for the best. I just do not know who is best.  I think they will wind up with Maye, but who knows. 

• Like 2

Here is my season prediction for Howell - I was curious how I did. I thought EB would have designed runs, and clearly envisioned less INTs but overall wasnt too far off.

image.png.6a8503f1647f2b74567f2edef846af4c.png

Actual:

Passing:  388 for 612 for 3946 yards 63.4% 21 TDs 21 INTs

Rushing:  48 for 263 5 TDs.

image.png.a541dfa9c2f8de05cc871195320944bb.png

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

good thing you're not the GM then

lol 😂 I was drinking hot chocolate when I came upon your response and pretty much choked on it LOL 😂… my thought exactly, we give that kind of $ to Howell after that performance and that alone might cause me to give my loyalty of fathom up 

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I would still offer Sam a contract extension this year along the lines of a 4 year 40-50 million dollars.

Ummm why?? Are you talking about Sam the QB?? Not trying to be a smartass but why in the world do you believe he deserves a 4 year extension?? Did you watch him play any during the second half of the season???

Edited by DazedSkinsfan
  • Like 1

Our new GM- Peters or Cunningham and the coach they will hire; will see they have the #2 pick.   They will do their due diligence and look at Sam's season and then look at the careers  of the top 3-4 college QBs. They will come to the conclusion that those Top 3-4 qbs are better than Sam is and will be better than going with Sam. So they will draft those QBs.

Odds are Sam isn't even on this team coming training camp.

Justin if he remains with the Bears will continue to show he's mediocre and whatever improvements the Bears make, will be held back because Justin is their QB.  If Justin is traded to another team, it will be the same thing.  Justin is destined to get his coaches and gm fired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

You talkin about Howell?

No way this happens. 

Maybe Snyderatto or Brucey the "Pink Panther" Allen decision making process would net that type of result way before it's necessary, but not the way things are trending now with a competent staff on the way.

Howell is under contract through Jan 2026 (2025 season).

If he was to be offered a 2nd contract with the team it would happen NEXT offseason, not this year.

Hopefully I just wasted 3 minutes typing this out and you actually meant Sam Cosmi...

13 minutes ago, illone said:

Wow, well I guess we know who he is talking to Harris about but I dont think Spielman was brought in for draft insight... was he?

No hes just gonna help find the next GM. He will have zero input on our personnel decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No hes just gonna help find the next GM. He will have zero input on our personnel decisions.

I don't know man. If he's kept around after hiring people we all know how one opinion start to sway others in their own opinions. Seen it enough times around here. One of the biggest was when Wentz was signed. It was comical how almost everybody laughed at that when it happened but by the time the season started most everybody thought he was going to be good. 

But I hope you are right, of course. 

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

I don't know man. If he's kept around after hiring people we all know how one opinion start to sway others in their own opinions. Seen it enough times around here. One of the biggest was when Wentz was signed. It was comical how almost everybody laughed at that when it happened but by the time the season started most everybody thought he was going to be good. 

He wont be kept around.

5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Harris said in the presser Myer was going to stick around as an adviser to him.  But Spielman the answer was “I don’t know yet, we’ll see.”

Spielman is going to be gone after we hire people.  

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Odds are Sam isn't even on this team coming training camp.

Where are these odds coming from? He's a 5th round pick who's future is still very much in front of him and who's to say a new regime won't like him? 

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Here is my season prediction for Howell - I was curious how I did. I thought EB would have designed runs, and clearly envisioned less INTs but overall wasnt too far off.

image.png.6a8503f1647f2b74567f2edef846af4c.png

Actual:

Passing:  388 for 612 for 3946 yards 63.4% 21 TDs 21 INTs

Rushing:  48 for 263 5 TDs.

image.png.a541dfa9c2f8de05cc871195320944bb.png

SEVEN HUNDRED rushing yards??? Who do you think he was? Where did you get that idea from? lol 

• Haha 1