Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jay Gruden states the obvious.

Which is why I think Ben Johnson is going to the Chargers.  

I suspect but don't know that there will be more to the decision than just the QB.  Jay just in general especially since he's left comes off over the top obsessive about QB.  Don't get me wrong, the QB spot is clearly key but Jay takes it to the extreme  -- sort of like his version of you on the topics of PFF and Jay.  :ols:

I think an owners reputation, location, salary -- years on contract, relationship with the GM might be factors, too.   Harris has been persuasive to land top GMs and coaches so we might have a fighting chance.

But clearly if we wanted to rehire Jay, something you might be hankering for, I am not sure though 🤔 he'd take one of those other jobs instead.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I believe Ben Johnson and Sam Howell have a relationship both being former UNC guys so that could swing things in our favor.

The other thing is the setup. The question I would ask BJ's agent now is whether there is a list of GM candidates he'd like to work with. We could try to set up a package deal to hire that guy (assuming he is legit) + BJ

I’m not so sure the Chargers are that much more attractive than us right now. With a competent GM I think we might even be the better job. 

And I know no one likes it, but I think the grace we are giving Ron’s last hurrah helps in that regard too. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I’m not so sure the Chargers are that much more attractive than us right now. With a competent GM I think we might even be the better job. 

And I know no one likes it, but I think the grace we are giving Ron’s last hurrah helps in that regard too. 

I disagree. I think Ron's situation is leading to worries that the owner will be uninvolved with the team after he hires his GM. If I were a head coach, I'd be concerned if my prospective employer wasn't constantly looking over my shoulder and giving iron-fisted suggestions about who to pick in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I disagree. I think Ron's situation is leading to worries that the owner will be uninvolved with the team after he hires his GM. If I were a head coach, I'd be concerned if my prospective employer wasn't constantly looking over my shoulder and giving iron-fisted suggestions about who to pick in the draft.

You had me for a second there lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen, Joey Bosa, and Derwin James would instantly be the best 4 players on this team. They also play in LA, which is a chill market with less pressure on it. Even though KC is an unstoppable force, you get to play the Raiders and Broncos twice. Hell, their stadium gets taken over every week too but at least it is a literal palace to play in. IIRC, they’ll be opening up a new team facility near El Segundo as well. 

That job is pretty well ahead of ours. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen, Joey Bosa, and Derwin James would instantly be the best 4 players on this team. They also play in LA, which is a chill market with less pressure on it. Even though KC is an unstoppable force, you get to play the Raiders and Broncos twice. Hell, their stadium gets taken over every week too but at least it is a literal palace to play in. IIRC, they’ll be opening up a new team facility near El Segundo as well. 

This.  If the Chargers job becomes available, it instantly becomes a top destination for any hot coaching prospect.  Herbert in my opinion is a Top 5 QB, who could be even better, with the right offensive minded HC.  The Chargers overall have a VERY talented team, especially on the defensive end.  The Chargers are 100% going to hire a hot OC to become their new coach.  Its almost a lock, after the unspeakably awful job Staley has done as Chargers HC (being a former DC).

If I’m a coach trying to pick where I land, LA is #1 by a long shot.  I think Ben Johnson will end up there.  We don’t have a shot at him in my opinion, because I think that the talent on our team is NOT up to par with the Chargers, and we’re going to start completely over in our front office and scouting departments.  We’re more of a long term fix, as opposed to a quick fix like the Chargers are.  I do believe that we might be able to hire someone like Bobby Slowik from the Texans, or the Seattle OC.  That wouldn’t be bad at all.

Edited by samy316

Chargers have several legitimate star pieces to build around, plus an unquestioned franchise QB. We have none of that.

I'd be hard pressed to think our situation is more attractive than theirs for a HC.

MAYBE you can make the argument for more attractive to a GM b/c you have a much easier opportunity to shape the roster here, but that is a bit of a stretch too.

And since we have a new owner and are coming outta the situation we are currently in, you gotta account for the wildcard of massive organizational turnover, football side and beyond. This whole franchise from top to bottom is probably about to spin more than Sonic the Hedgehog, and that may require a little extra navigation.

I still think this will be a desirable destination all things considered tho. Just not the most desirable. We got more in our favor than against. Its not like this is a terrible place to come in... outside of the stadium if you like warm showers.

Edited by FootballZombie

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Chargers have several legitimate star pieces to build around, plus an unquestioned franchise QB. We have none of that.

I'd be hard pressed to think our situation is more attractive than theirs for a HC.

MAYBE you can make the argument for more attractive to a GM b/c you have a much easier opportunity to shape the roster here, but that is a bit of a stretch too.

And since we have a new owner and are coming outta the situation we are currently in, you gotta account for the wildcard of massive organizational turnover, football side and beyond. This whole franchise from top to bottom is probably about to spin more than Sonic the Hedgehog, and that may require a little extra navigation.

Flip side: it’s a total blank slate with high draft pics, a workable QB situation and $90m in cap space.  

Sure, you don’t have Herbert, but an executive/Coach team could build the team in their image very quickly.  There’s nothing to really tear down because they have almost nobody under contract.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Herbert alone makes their situation more attractive than ours.

But, it should be pointed out:

-Their cap is a mess.

-Allen will be 32 before next season. (honestly I would rather have Terry going forward, though it's not by a ton)

-Bosa and James both have pretty spotty injury histories. 

_Ownership there has to be considered a negative.

Actually, after Herbert, the most appealing piece they have is Rashawn Slater, imo. 

• Like 1

Chargers look appealing on paper and probably will remain so to coaches, but I've actually cooled off on them a lot. The Chargers have had the same story for 20 years.

Marty/Norv/McCoy/Lynn/Staley is going to be the right guy to push Brees/Rivers/Herbert from being just very good to true greatness. Just you wait, they're going to set the league on fire.

They are the Dallas Cowboys of the west coast. Always good, never good enough.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Herbert alone makes their situation more attractive than ours.

But, it should be pointed out:

-Their cap is a mess.

-Allen will be 32 before next season. (honestly I would rather have Terry going forward, though it's not by a ton)

-Bosa and James both have pretty spotty injury histories. 

_Ownership there has to be considered a negative.

Actually, after Herbert, the most appealing piece they have is Rashawn Slater, imo. 

All good points. 

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Chargers look appealing on paper and probably will remain so to coaches, but I've actually cooled off on them a lot. The Chargers have had the same story for 20 years.

Marty/Norv/McCoy/Lynn/Staley is going to be the right guy to push Brees/Rivers/Herbert from being just very good to true greatness. Just you wait, they're going to set the league on fire.

They are the Dallas Cowboys of the west coast. Always good, never good enough.

Yeah they remind me so much of the pre 2018 Caps. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If you truly desire a coach, empower them to select their GM. This way, you secure the candidate you prefer. 

The coach won’t opt for the Chargers over Washington if Washington offers more authority. 

This sounds like the perfect way to land Bill Belichick when he gets fired from the Patriots for sucking at picking new players to fill the huge void that Brady left behind. If we're lucky, we might even be able to land someone who's already familiar with the coaching and front office staff that he wants, like Ron Rivera. Woot.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 4

I laughed out loud when Jay Gruden said that.

I make it a point to listen to that guy. I hate him, but I love him. It's super weird.

In this case, he is a complete dummy. 

Herbert isnt as good as people think. I am not a buyer on him yet..

Washington is in a MUCH better position than Los Angeles at everything except "facility" as their stadium is state of the art. 

Sorry, Jay. You sound like sour grapes bruh.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think some fans miss our dominant run game of the past but the game has changed. Fantasy folks saw the shift on who you draft in round 1 has shifted to WRs. For all the complaining about EB mine included, the lack of run game, our fixation on Howell etc I think it needs to be said EB has done great developing BRob into an all down back. He is at 4/rush which surprised me as his stats are only padded by 3 big runs of 20+ and 29 long this year. In fact, all our backs are over 4 per. I feel like its been years since we have seen 4. Our OL is woeful and it may be the only thing all fans agree on so getting 4 from them may tell an untold story.

So while "we need more balance" blah blah EB may be proving right in front of our eyes without noticing it that his hyper passing game is opening up the run game. Something not wired in our staunch purist hog DNA that has told us the run game opens up the passing game, and that it's a one way street.

EB ain't perfect but that fake texas grass littered with toxic black rubber balls ain't always greener. We have had a pansy assed schedule maybe the easiest in the league but not anymore. The final verdict on EB and should we draft a "franchise" QB starts today. I want EB and Howell to dominate and expose RR and JDR as the teams weakest links for all to see.

Edited by RandyHolt

I grew up in Alexandria, but live in Los Angeles and follow both the Rams and Chargers closely. 

The upside to coaching the Chargers is Herbert, living in Socal (which ain't for everybody for sure), and a media that couldn't be more chill. I think people underestimate how much of a headache the DC media is for coaches. Lots of drama created, lots of click-bait articles. None of that is LA. But that brings me to a big negative to the Chargers job...

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE CHARGERS. They simply should not be in LA. There are zero charger fans. The only reason there are two teams in LA is because Spanos is so cheap and loves that he gets to play in a stadium he didn't pay for. If you coach the Chargers, you will NEVER know what it's like to have a stadium even halfway filled with your own fans. Seriously, the crowds at Sofi make Fed-Ex look like Lambeau.  There is no passion, no hunger. In Washington, there still is -- if you win in DC, the fans will come back in droves.

I also think the Chargers roster is aging and overrated.

I think if you like Howell, and you don't mind the microscope that comes with being the Washington coach, Washington is the better job. Plus there's the cap space issue. And I think Harris will be willing to pay a lot more than Spanos. Add in the cost of living and I don't think it's close. What I paid for my ranch style house would get you a mansion pretty much anywhere in VA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, illone said:

I laughed out loud when Jay Gruden said that.

I make it a point to listen to that guy. I hate him, but I love him. It's super weird.

In this case, he is a complete dummy. 

Herbert isnt as good as people think. I am not a buyer on him yet..

Washington is in a MUCH better position than Los Angeles at everything except "facility" as their stadium is state of the art. 

Sorry, Jay. You sound like sour grapes bruh.

Sorry, but this isn’t correct AT ALL.  Herbert is MOST DEFINITELY a Top 5 QB in the league.  He can make any throw, and his accuracy is insane.  People look at box scores and don’t see the whole picture. Take last week for example, Chargers WR’s had 4 drops in their loss to the Packers (3 of them inside the opponent’s 10 Yard line), but people look at the box score, and see that Herbert was 21/36 for 260 Yds and 2TD’s and think that he got outperformed by Jordan Love, who was 27/40 for 322 Yards passing and 2TD’s.  It’s laughable that fans call Herbert overrated, or think that he’s overhyped, when the truth is that he does everything possible to get his team in a position to win every week, despite the fact that he has a terrible defense, and a HC that just might be as clueless and arrogant as Ron Rivera in Brandon Staley.

The Chargers have a LOT of talent, and a Top 5 QB.  They most certainly are a premier destination for any top coach this offseason.  Washington is not as talented as the Chargers, AND you have to build a completely new OL & defense secondary, along with constructing a new scouting department and front office.  We’re probably the 2nd or 3rd most popular destination after LA.

Edited by samy316

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

If you truly desire a coach, empower them to select their GM. This way, you secure the candidate you prefer. 

The coach won’t opt for the Chargers over Washington if Washington offers more authority. 

This has to be sarcasm....right?

...right?

Dear sweet jesus on thanksgiving day...please tell me you're joking 😆 

I don't know why people are whining that Gruden said he would rank the Chargers job over this job.  Having Justin Herbert will make everything easier.  Likewise, having Caleb Williams will make everything easier.  I agree with what he is saying

Plus Gruden was a head coach.  He knows how head coach candidates think

Edited by philibusters