Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

It's early to say, but I've had Pickett and Mac Jones in the same tier of young QBs. Not very mobile, not very strong arm strength, not very special, not very bad. The Honda Accord of QBs. You don't appreciate them until you learn how bad it can be without them.

A Steelers friend of mine hated him last season. This season, he seems neutral. I'd be surprised if he suddenly turns out to be the second coming of Big Ben, but I think he can be "just a guy" in the best way a QB can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Whoof. Dudes were not joking in here.

The belief in Pickett on the national level feels per-injury Purdy levels. Like an inevitability.

I have not watched much of Kenny's play last season, but he was crazy good in the preseason this year.

Shame the 9ers and Steelers play at the same time we do. I need to watch his game a little bit to build some personal takes.

Highly recommend youtube NFL highlights on Monday (of any / all games) - you'll see everything you want to see.

A dub is not even good enough.

There has to be carnage associated w/ the win.

Arizona is gonna field a CFL team.

Its Woodshed time.

Prolly the only time I'll have this level of confidence this year, but my goodness you gotta blow the brakes of a team in their situation.

I will also predict that Sam Howell won't have to get off the bus to win this game.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

As an ironic coincidence given the arm strength discussion above, John Elway was CBS Sports features athlete for “7 days until football” which came out Thursday but popped into my feed today.

My God. His throws left vapor trails.  

If he played in todays NFL he’d throw for 20k yards a season.  He was that good.  And if not the best arm in NFL history, then no worse than 3rd or 4th.  Marino, Favre and Rodgers are the others I’d put in that class.  

He was my favorite non-Redskin player growing up.  He could do things with the ball nobody else could do.  Except Marino,  But Elway had movement Marino only dreamed of.  

Jeff George definitely belongs in that group.

Heck, he might be number one.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Good listen -

A few highlights:

• Says he isn't focused on nerves or pressure
  • Game plan is evolving - base down focus today (1st and 2nd down)
  • Thursday is 3rd down
  • Friday redzone
  • Says EB is awesome, works hard, doing what's best for the team, really cares
  • Amazing time to be a player with all the momentum (ref stadium sellout)
  • Feels very comfortable in this system - play fast and instinctive

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh. Great arm.  I kindof think the legend of his arm were greater than his arm. 

Also, he was a gigantic **** (male rooster) and I don’t want him on the list.  :P 

I mean, if that’s the criteria you better find a replacement for Favre on your list 😬 

Edited by Conn
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It's early to say, but I've had Pickett and Mac Jones in the same tier of young QBs. Not very mobile, not very strong arm strength, not very special, not very bad. The Honda Accord of QBs. You don't appreciate them until you learn how bad it can be without them.

A Steelers friend of mine hated him last season. This season, he seems neutral. I'd be surprised if he suddenly turns out to be the second coming of Big Ben, but I think he can be "just a guy" in the best way a QB can.

I think Pickett is a far bigger talent and playmaker than Mac Jones.  Mac Jones baby sat one of the most talent rich offenses in the history of college football to a national championship.  He was the sixth or seventh best player on that offense, and spent the year delivering mediocre passes to elite weapons.  Pickett spent his big season tap dancing on the ACC and making Jordan Addison look like the best WR in CFB, something that didn't even happen with Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley.  Pickett is the straw that stirs the drink for his teams, and you will never see him win a game completing three passes.

People are sleeping on Pickett's arm and his running ability too.  He runs really well and is blazing fast in his ability to reset and get the ball out, which makes him really hard to chase down when he breaks the pocket.  But more than anything, he just sees the field so we'll and is absolutely money with his touch and placement.  He throws into coverage with great confidence because of how good his placement is.

By the end of this season, the football world will be putting Pickett in the same tier of great young QB as Herbert and Lawrence.  He's really good.

I also think the Steelers found themselves a superstar in Pickens.  He was a major underachiever and a childish dope at Georgia, and I wanted us to have nothing to do with him in that draft.  But his talent is Odell Beckham like and damned if he doesn't look like he's reaching his potential in Pittsburgh.  He's going to be one of the elite WR1s in fantasy this year, if he can stay healthy.  Friermuth is going to feast too because of how good Pickett is throwing in the middle of the field.  That Pittsburgh OL looks really good too, and they have a really strong RB2 to spell Najee now.  That offense looks super explosive and their defense is still very strong.  They are the AFC North team I wish we had gotten to test ourselves against in the preseason.  I think they're going to be the best team in the NFL this year.

• Like 2

Jordan Love piqued my interest too.  I don't think he's as accurate or creative as Pickett, but he looked really good in the preseason.  Great arm.  Great coaching.  Offense reminds me of classic Shanahan Denver looks with rolling pockets and not a pass rusher within a mile, creating tons of easy throwing lanes into wide open space.  It's a movie we've seen a ton of times before.  I think he's going to work out and be pretty good too.

If Sam can insert himself into the conversation with Pickett and Love, we're going to be in good shape.

Don’t see the Pickens/OBJ comp. Prime OBJ made his living off of creating insane separation and YAC, despite his biggest highlights featuring his contested catch gene. Pickens cannot separate like that, but can consistently make the spectacular catch in coverage. If anything Pickens reminds me of prime Hakeem Nicks, or a slightly juiced Devante Parker. 

Mac supposedly has had a good camp.  But I am getting sick of his comments blowing smoke up the Eagles butts this week.

On 9/6/2023 at 6:54 AM, Going Commando said:

I think Pickett is a far bigger talent and playmaker than Mac Jones.  Mac Jones baby sat one of the most talent rich offenses in the history of college football to a national championship.  He was the sixth or seventh best player on that offense, and spent the year delivering mediocre passes to elite weapons.  Pickett spent his big season tap dancing on the ACC and making Jordan Addison look like the best WR in CFB, something that didn't even happen with Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley.  Pickett is the straw that stirs the drink for his teams, and you will never see him win a game completing three passes.

People are sleeping on Pickett's arm and his running ability too.  He runs really well and is blazing fast in his ability to reset and get the ball out, which makes him really hard to chase down when he breaks the pocket.  But more than anything, he just sees the field so we'll and is absolutely money with his touch and placement.  He throws into coverage with great confidence because of how good his placement is.

By the end of this season, the football world will be putting Pickett in the same tier of great young QB as Herbert and Lawrence.  He's really good.

I also think the Steelers found themselves a superstar in Pickens.  He was a major underachiever and a childish dope at Georgia, and I wanted us to have nothing to do with him in that draft.  But his talent is Odell Beckham like and damned if he doesn't look like he's reaching his potential in Pittsburgh.  He's going to be one of the elite WR1s in fantasy this year, if he can stay healthy.  Friermuth is going to feast too because of how good Pickett is throwing in the middle of the field.  That Pittsburgh OL looks really good too, and they have a really strong RB2 to spell Najee now.  That offense looks super explosive and their defense is still very strong.  They are the AFC North team I wish we had gotten to test ourselves against in the preseason.  I think they're going to be the best team in the NFL this year.

If you see Pickett as this level potential elite.  And it turns out that way and lets say he's better than Howell -- no beef with Rivera on that?  

I bring that up because that was Randy Mueller's beef with Ron among other things.  Mueller didn't buy that Ron didn't have an opportunity to find a franchise QB and actually cited Pickett as the example. 

I don't recall on the draft thread you being smitten with Pickett to that extent where you were saying he's that level good.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you see Pickett as this level potential elite.  And it turns out that way and lets say he's better than Howell -- no beef with Rivera on that?  

I bring that up because that was Randy Mueller's beef with Ron among other things.  Mueller didn't buy that Ron didn't have an opportunity to find a franchise QB and actually cited Pickett as the example. 

I don't recall on the draft thread you being smitten with Pickett to that extent where you were saying he's that level good.

I had Pickett 13th overall in that class.  I was higher on him than most, especially because I remember so many people were completely down on him because of his age and that dumb hand-size issue.  Are you trying to have a gotcha moment in saying that I'm full of crap for recognizing how good Pickett is now, because I didn't think he was as good as Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert then?  In April 2022 Trevor Lawrence's career was on the ropes, nobody was making best case outcome comparisons to him.  I know I was significantly higher on Pickett than the consensus, but that doesn't even matter now.  There is so much buzz about Pickett heading into the season that pretty much everyone can see him coming.  I'm pretty sure that by the end of this season, he too will be one of the guys used as best case comparisons for prospects.

As for being pissed about passing on Pickett, In that class I wanted Willis.  I liked Pickett and would have been fine with him at 11, or better yet 16.  At the time I was thrilled with getting Howell at 144, and I still am.  If we hadn't gotten Howell then yeah, I absolutely would be pissed that we passed on Pickett.  But it's not one particular QB or nothing for me.  We got our QB and committed to his development.  I don't care about the path to getting to this point any more, I just care that we reached the destination.  It's true that I thought Pickett was better than Howell, and he probably is gonna be better in the NFL.  But I like Howell, and I really like Howell + Dotson.  I'm not worried about what Randy Mueller thinks of this front office.  You can flog that point to death and you're just not going to convince me that I should be worried about what Randy Mueller thinks of this FO.  I would never have given Ron a pass for endlessly punting on QBs in the draft any way, and that's not what he did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mac supposedly has had a good camp.  But I am getting sick of his comments blowing smoke up the Eagles butts this week.

In fairness, they have spent way more on DL resources than we have. We go to an extreme as a fanbase and assume nobody has spent nearly as much as we have...and then there are the Eagles. Graham and Cox are on the backend of their career, but they're still being paid a healthy amount.

• Brandon Graham they drafted in the 1st round that they re-signed to $10 million a year
  • Fletcher Cox they drafted in the 1st round that they re-signed to $10 million a year
  • Derek Barnett they drafted in the 1st, he's signed cheaply as he was a bust, $2.3m
  • Haason Reddick was a 1st but came in as a FA, they signed him to $15 million a year
  • Jordan Davis is a 1st rounder on a rookie contract
  • Jalen Carter is a 1st rounder on a rookie contract
  • Nolan Smith is a 1st rounder on a rookie contract
  • Milton Williams is a 3rd rounder on a rookie contract (felt like adding him because Day 2 picks are still valuable)

Compare that to us and we have on paper 4 former 1st rounders with 2 signed to a premium, 2 more on rookie contracts, and a 2nd rounder. Of those, Chase Young is looking to be a bit of an injured mess. Managed 4 snaps in the pre-season before being unable to practice for a month. The 2nd rounder is also maybe an injured mess, he's on IR again.

Yeah, the Eagles on paper have invested a lot more resources into the DL that will actually see the field than we have.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We're in the playoffs with those stats (assuming the defense is good).

Hell we were close last year in a tough ass division injured stud at WR carousel at QB coach not knowing playoff scenarios....  I cannot be the only one with new found over exuberance after a few preseason wins, a QB allowed to move around/throw sidearm, and for the love of the game, a new ****ing owner finally.  Hard part was deciding how much EB is gonna let him run. Ron would never he'd make him sit in the pocket and learn the old school way - by eating helmets on the chin deer in headlights style.

See y'all in 453 Sunday showing my fandom crushing half priced hot dogs screaming like a teenager at whatever her names is concert.  Sean Taylor D'Andre Swift.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Hell we were close last year in a tough ass division injured stud at WR carousel at QB coach not knowing playoff scenarios....  I cannot be the only one with new found over exuberance after a few preseason wins, a QB allowed to move around/throw sidearm, and for the love of the game, a new ****ing owner finally.  Hard part was deciding how much EB is gonna let him run. Ron would never he'd make him sit in the pocket and learn the old school way - by eating helmets on the chin deer in headlights style.

See y'all in 453 Sunday showing my fandom crushing half priced hot dogs screaming like a teenager at whatever her names is concert.  Sean Taylor D'Andre Swift.

I mean...most of us are there with you, we just have been let down by our over exuberance all too often. I'm trying to be unemotional. That'll probably last until kickoff on Sunday.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I had Pickett 13th overall in that class.  I was higher on him than most, especially because I remember so many people were completely down on him because of his age and that dumb hand-size issue.  Are you trying to have a gotcha moment in saying that I'm full of crap for recognizing how good Pickett is now, because I didn't think he was as good as Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert then? 

There is no gotcha moment from me. If people say things that do not jive with what I remember I assume either I am misremembering or they are.  But the intentions are good either way.  We post a zillion things about a zillion players on those threads.  Impossible to recall everything.

I mentioned it purely for the reason that I've read through a lot of that thread in the last week or so because I was curious especially about my takes at the time about those QBs.  Felt like a good learning exercise.  Going through many (not all) of the posts it was clear I even forgot some of my takes.  For example, I didn't recall that in the end I had the top 5 QBs all in the 2nd round and not far off from each other.

I did read some of your takes in that mix.   I just don't recall reading any posts where you were that in love with Pickett.  You liked him over most of the others on that thread.  But aside from that, the main Pickett long post from you that I stumbled on was ironically a post from you to @KDawg about why you didn't agree with his degree of enthusiasm for Howell and explained why Pickett was better in your eyes.

And me and you had some debates about Pickett's personality-intangibles.  You liked the player more than I did, I liked the person-intangibles more than you did.    Your takes were slighty different from mine on that QB class but not that much different on the aggregate.  Like me, you were cool with the top 5 to different degrees.  You didn't come off smitten by any one of them.  Neither did I. 

The irony is you weren't enthusiastic or trusting of Ron which you expressed deep into draft day and with some emotion.  I did trust him.  So we've both switched gears since.

But in short, I didn't see any posts about him having elite traits and him being Lawrence-Herbert caliber.  But if I missed some of the more smitten posts about Pickett, sorry.  But where I was coming from is actually reading a lot of that thread recently.   

Considering I try to pay attention of what some posters say (you among them) because I am interested, I think that level of enthusiasm for Pickett would have stuck with me at the time.  Regardless, my point wasn't so much about your previous take but its more that you seem very enthusiastic now.  It's not like the dude has proven to be Lawrence-Herbert caliber now.  So your take at THIS given day is plenty bold enough for me regardless where you can plant your flag and see what happens.  I don't think it matters so much what we thought of a player 2 years ago.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

But it's not one particular QB or nothing for me. 

My point is if you think Pickett has elite traits than why not one particular QB?  Unless you think Willis, Howell also have those elite traits?

Don't get me wrong I personally don't think that Pickett is Herbert round 2.  But of course I don't know.  But will see.  But if I did feel that way?  Wow would that add to the pile for me as to Ron.  But I don't feel that way so its irrelevant to me personally.

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm not worried about what Randy Mueller thinks of this front office.  You can flog that point to death and you're just not going to convince me that I should be worried about what Randy Mueller thinks of this FO.  I would never have given Ron a pass for endlessly punting on QBs in the draft any way, and that's not what he did.

I only posted Mueller's quote ironically to make your take on Pickett look good.  He agrees with you.  ;). It's not like its some consensus take that Pickett is an elite caliber QB.   So Mueller was one of the ones who actually thinks the same way.    

So lol no need for the comments about me trying to convince you about anything relating to Ron using Mueller.  If you ever go back and reread that thread, you'd see you were a very emotional Ron critic.  Now you are a very emotional Ron defender.  There was no swaying you then in the heat of the battle.  And there is no swaying you now clearly on the same topic.  That's not a criticism.  I am the same way on the topic but simply took the reverse course you did.  Though its not that I don't trust Ron's judgment ala what you said back then.  I am just emotional about the point that he does C plus-B minus work -- he's OK but greatness IMO alludes him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1