Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I'm a huge fan of Kurt Warner's analysis of QB play and always watch his breakdowns on YouTube. He just put out an analysis of Howell's preseason...and, it's pretty exciting to hear how high he is on him.

"He's tough, he sees it, he understands it, and he can make every throw, and that's exactly what I've seen"

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm so excited that we have Sam Howell and I feel pretty good with him as our QB.   I believe he will be the best QB we've had since Kirk Cousins, and I think he'll be better for us.   This dude is ready to play and to win.   He's the type of dude that will bounce back from his mistakes....has ice cold veins on the field.    We so desperately needed that trait from our past QB's and we have it in Sam.   Here's hoping to Sam having a successful debut season, and to start building from there!   

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

One thing from all these preseason cuts ups - we ran a ton of the shallow cross concept and Howell was very efficient reading and hitting it. We either LOVE that concept and we will see a ton of it in games that count or they were putting something on tape and have developments off that concept. Maybe a bit of both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Never expected one of his harshest and most vocal critics to become ronpilled but damn I hope steve is right 

“Ronpilled” sounds like he got roofied. 😆

Excited for the first game this year when everyone goes “Sam’s our guy”. It’s coming. I expect it sooner than later. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

One thing from all these preseason cuts ups - we ran a ton of the shallow cross concept and Howell was very efficient reading and hitting it. We either LOVE that concept and we will see a ton of it in games that count or they were putting something on tape and have developments off that concept. Maybe a bit of both.

I remember back in the 20212 preseason, they worked the out-route timing passes to death.  Short outs, mid-outs, deep outs.  And some folks were like, "hey, we're going to run a lot of outs."

It turned out, the reason they worked those concepts to death was basically a footwork drill which they translated into games.  It forced Griffin to get the ball, take the appropriate drop, plant and throw.  

I actually wonder if some of the reason we're seeing a lot of crossing routes is similar.  It's a very standard, basic concept.  You have to read it out a bit, and you need to set your feet and throw.  Everybody runs them, you're not giving anything about your offense away.

Interestingly, I have never thought of crossing routes as really a staple of the WCO.  The Greatest Show on Turf Rams basically won a SB based on those concepts, and that's a very Coryell concept.

But eh, everything has merged.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I remember back in the 20212 preseason, they worked the out-route timing passes to death.  Short outs, mid-outs, deep outs.  And some folks were like, "hey, we're going to run a lot of outs."

It turned out, the reason they worked those concepts to death was basically a footwork drill which they translated into games.  It forced Griffin to get the ball, take the appropriate drop, plant and throw.  

I actually wonder if some of the reason we're seeing a lot of crossing routes is similar.  It's a very standard, basic concept.  You have to read it out a bit, and you need to set your feet and throw.  Everybody runs them, you're not giving anything about your offense away.

Interestingly, I have never thought of crossing routes as really a staple of the WCO.  The Greatest Show on Turf Rams basically won a SB based on those concepts, and that's a very Coryell concept.

But eh, everything has merged.  

It could be nothing, could be something they were working on re footwork, timing etc. But shallow cross is a very specific concept. Its not just lots of drags or mesh its a drag (the shallow cross) with second receiver starting on a drag from the other side (so it looks like mesh) and then sitting down in a hook or sometimes you will run a basic opposite the drag. Maybe its something Howell is very comfortable with, maybe they were working on the read on that concept or maybe they have variations off that or maybe I'm just over thinking a preseason game in which there was no game planning 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

I've read it's one of Kansas City's staples, but they like to add a lot of wrinkles to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I've read it's one of Kansas City's staples, but they like to add a lot of wrinkles to it.

We've heard same from local media and Paulsen, EB only showed base concepts in preseason but they are running a bunch of different crazy stuff off base in practice.

They should be fun to watch!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That person needs a welfare check to make sure he's mentally capable...who the hell buys 4 different Heinicke and 3 different Wentz jerseys? Is that a Gilbert jersey? He must have bought that custom! Guys got a problem.

I was thinking the same thing… guy needs a beer!

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony is you weren't enthusiastic or trusting of Ron which you expressed deep into draft day and with some emotion.  I did trust him.  So we've both switched gears since.

But in short, I didn't see any posts about him having elite traits and him being Lawrence-Herbert caliber.  But if I missed some of the more smitten posts about Pickett, sorry.  But where I was coming from is actually reading a lot of that thread recently.   

Considering I try to pay attention of what some posters say (you among them) because I am interested, I think that level of enthusiasm for Pickett would have stuck with me at the time.  Regardless, my point wasn't so much about your previous take but its more that you seem very enthusiastic now.  It's not like the dude has proven to be Lawrence-Herbert caliber now.  So your take at THIS given day is plenty bold enough for me regardless where you can plant your flag and see what happens.  I don't think it matters so much what we thought of a player 2 years ago.   

Yeah I was probably one of Ron's most vocal critics during his first two seasons.  I hated some of the decisions and mistakes he made, and didn't truly get his style and the culture he was building.  Now I feel like I get him.  But mainly, I just really liked his 22 and 23 offseasons.  I believe he fixed almost all of the major mistakes he made at the beginning of his tenure, and that he finally picked a course that can lead to sustainable success.  That's why it has been so jarring and disappointing for me to see everyone jump off the boat with Ron, at the exact moment when I think he has turned things around and is about to start winning and competing in earnest.

From what I remember about that year's draft thread, @clskinsfan was one of the only guys who really loved Pickett.  You're right that I wasn't high on Pickett's personality/intangibles.  I don't know what kind of off-field demeanor he has because I tend to view that stuff as unknowable and don't like to dig too deep into it.  But I just have never really liked Pickett's on-field demeanor/personality.  I think he's kind of a punk.  Huge trash talker and a little bit dirty of a player even.  I much prefer a QB with the demeanor and personality that Sam Howell has.  I recognize that Pickett is good, but I don't really like him or want to root for him.

I didn't think Herbert was an elite QB prospect coming out of college truth be told, and I don't think many did.  If anything, Pickett played better than him as a Senior.  Everyone knew what kind of size and arm Herbert had, but that stuff gets overrated and =/= being an elite prospect.  He's vastly exceeded my expectations in the NFL, and I think Pickett is probably going to have a similar career course.  Lawrence was far easier to see coming, but most of that is because he played on a high profile blue blood team with stacked rosters.

I don't think I'm way out in left field on Pickett now.  Every list and article I'm seeing about him this summer has him as one of the top breakout players in the league this year.  He's got a huge bandwagon forming and there is a ton of buzz on him and George Pickens now.

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is if you think Pickett has elite traits than why not one particular QB?  Unless you think Willis, Howell also have those elite traits?

Don't get me wrong I personally don't think that Pickett is Herbert round 2.  But of course I don't know.  But will see.  But if I did feel that way?  Wow would that add to the pile for me as to Ron.  But I don't feel that way so its irrelevant to me personally.

Well, I do think Willis had elite traits in terms of his physical skills, and I think Howell has really good physical tools too plus he looks so accurate now.  Maybe not as accurate as Pickett, but I don't think the gap is big.

I just don't think that there is a huge difference between most of the first round caliber QBs in most draft classes, and I don't think it has to be one QB in particular to build a winner around.  If you put Sam Howell or Malik Willis on that Steelers roster instead of Pickett, and gave him the same opportunity and development, then I think they could win and produce similar numbers to what Pickett will likely do this year.  I think with the right conditions and support, Sam Howell can also get into that same tier of awesome young QB with Pickett and Herbert and Lawrence.  Maybe he's not as talented as them and will never be quite as good, but it can be close enough that it won't matter to us.  Beating those kinds of teams will come down to how strong we can keep the roster around Howell more than the differences in individual ability between him and them.

Also, for me the difference in talent between Sam Howell and Kenny Pickett < the difference in value we got from being able to get both Jahan Dotson and Sam Howell.  So there is a draft value consideration that mitigates

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I didn't think Herbert was an elite QB prospect coming out of college truth be told, and I don't think many did.  If anything, Pickett played better than him as a Senior.  Everyone knew what kind of size and arm Herbert had, but that stuff gets overrated and =/= being an elite prospect.  He's vastly exceeded my expectations in the NFL, and I think Pickett is probably going to have a similar career course.  Lawrence was far easier to see coming, but most of that is because he played on a high profile blue blood team with stacked rosters.

I didn't either. I thought there was legitimate bust risk with Herbert. His accuracy without having his feet set was bad. If the pocket was muddied and he couldn't step into things it was usually a bad throw. Then somehow he or his trainers figured out what he was doing wrong in the off-season he was drafted and he came into the league having fixed that accuracy issue. Suddenly he was throwing bombs into a WR's bread basket while having a defender in his face.

Sometimes players just make a random unexpected leap like Herbert did after college. You can't really scout that besides hoping intangibles might lead to it.

I was high on Pickett, I wouldn't say I was overly enamored with him. But I recall saying things like good chance of being an average QB and maybe topping out as an above average QB in the NFL, and that's a big cost savings on a rookie contract. That type of QB gets 25-40 million a year right now, and Pickett is paid like 10% of that.

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Well, I do think Willis had elite traits in terms of his physical skills, and I think Howell has really good physical tools too plus he looks so accurate now.  Maybe not as accurate as Pickett, but I don't think the gap is big.

Are you sure about this? College stats support Howell being the more accurate QB than Pickett and with a real high rating too. Pickett only had one breakout season in college as a senior, after being a senior for the 2nd time. Pickett last year played in 13 games as a pro and only completed 63% of his passes with 7 TD and 9 INT. With all that said, Pickett does look more comfortable this year and should fair better. 

Btw, Howell has been pretty accurate QB not just now. 

15 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Are you sure about this? College stats support Howell being the more accurate QB than Pickett and with a real high rating too. Pickett only had one breakout season in college as a senior, after being a senior for the 2nd time. Pickett last year played in 13 games as a pro and only completed 63% of his passes with 7 TD and 9 INT. With all that said, Pickett does look more comfortable this year and should fair better. 

Btw, Howell has been pretty accurate QB not just now. 

I think he's more accurate than Sam.  I wouldn't base that take off of completion % since so much goes into determining that number beyond a player's accuracy.  You have to base it off watching the placement, and that will be subjective based on which games you've watched.  I think accuracy is a notable and very promising trait for Sam, and it's the trait I'm the second most excited about with him after his toughness/unflappable poise in the pocket.  I just think Kenny Pickett is next level with his accuracy.  I was blown away with his ball placement when I watched him in the preseason.  He is so comfortable placing tight window throws in tough coverage, and is pretty much as good as Tua is throwing between the numbers, but has a better arm and ability to throw deep than him.  He's also very accurate on the move.

Remember how good Pickett looked his senior year?  I think that's translating to the NFL.  Pittsburgh is getting his best case scenario, and that player is a big time playmaker and pretty much an elite QB.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I was probably one of Ron's most vocal critics during his first two seasons.  I hated some of the decisions and mistakes he made, and didn't truly get his style and the culture he was building.  Now I feel like I get him.  But mainly, I just really liked his 22 and 23 offseasons. 

It certainly though bled for you into off season 3.  You were hitting him through that draft day.

Not saying its not OK to change your mind.  I change my mind, too.  Ironically, we've both changed our minds about Ron.  For me i don't think I am as tough a critic for Ron as you were back in the day.  Because I actually do think his instincts are still above average.  I don't care for two things about him now -- I don't think he's capable of greatness and I don't think it's in him to step on the gas and go for the kill.    I think we can do better.  But I don't think he sucks.  And as a dude, as a person, great guy.

From what I remember about that year's draft thread, @clskinsfan was one of the only guys who really loved Pickett.  Y

Yeah I was reading that part of the thread when Pickett faced off Howell during that game.  Me, @KDawg, @Koolblue13 were extolling Howell.  @clskinsfan extolling Pickett.  There was another dude there who also was really high on Pickett but he's not been back on that draft thread.  I liked Pickett, didn't love him.

I don't think I'm way out in left field on Pickett now.  Every list and article I'm seeing about him this summer has him as one of the top breakout players in the league this year.  He's got a huge bandwagon forming and there is a ton of buzz on him and George Pickens now.

You are not in left field as to liking him.  But the Herbert-Lawrence talent comparison takes it up a level.  I mentioned Mueller because he's a long time GM and was very enthusiastic about Pickett and liked him over Howell by a good margin.

I just don't think that there is a huge difference between most of the first round caliber QBs in most draft classes, and I don't think it has to be one QB in particular to build a winner around.  If you put Sam Howell or Malik Willis on that Steelers roster instead of Pickett, and gave him the same opportunity and development, then I think they could win and produce similar numbers to what Pickett will likely do this year.  I think with the right conditions and support, Sam Howell can also get into that same tier of awesome young QB with Pickett and Herbert and Lawrence.  Maybe he's not as talented as them and will never be quite as good, but it can be close enough that it won't matter to us.  Beating those kinds of teams will come down to how strong we can keep the roster around Howell more than the differences in individual ability between him and them.

Also, for me the difference in talent between Sam Howell and Kenny Pickett < the difference in value we got from being able to get both Jahan Dotson and Sam Howell.  So there is a draft value consideration that mitigates

OK, so you think Howell and Willis or just a shade behind Herbet-Lawrence whereas Pickett is right there.  So you think its close enough.  If so that ends up as a killer QB draft versus what most think-thought which was that was meh.

For me I am just a bit more measured.  I'd be happy if Howell is Kirk-Carr level.  10-14 type QB.  If he exceeds that fantastic.  As for Pickett, I've been posting on and off for months the Steeler local media being convinced he's the guy.  So I buy into the hype to some extent. But right now, for me ditto, I'd think he is mostly likely in that 10-14 range.

I am not saying these guys can't exceed that.  But for this franchise in particular where "good" Qb play is like a miracle to find.  I'll start with wanting good.  And if elite-top 5 type talent happens, awesome, but am starting with lower expecations to ensure they are met.😎

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I think he's more accurate than Sam.  I wouldn't base that take off of completion % since so much goes into determining that number beyond a player's accuracy.  You have to base it off watching the placement, and that will be subjective based on which games you've watched.  I think accuracy is a notable and very promising trait for Sam, and it's the trait I'm the second most excited about with him after his toughness/unflappable poise in the pocket.  I just think Kenny Pickett is next level with his accuracy.  I was blown away with his ball placement when I watched him in the preseason.  He is so comfortable placing tight window throws in tough coverage, and is pretty much as good as Tua is throwing between the numbers, but has a better arm and ability to throw deep than him.  He's also very accurate on the move.

Remember how good Pickett looked his senior year?  I think that's translating to the NFL.  Pittsburgh is getting his best case scenario, and that player is a big time playmaker and pretty much an elite QB.

I know you can't base it on just the completion % but it is just one of the metric though. I saw his pre-season game as well and Pickett did better than last year. Howell has a rocket arm and is really accurate on his deep throws too. At this point I am not going to say Pickett is way ahead of Howell. I am still going to give a slight push to Howell who is also younger. The height advantage goes to Pickett by 2 inches. Which isn't a lot and a non-factor in my book. Unlike you I am not going to say Pickett has next level accuracy at this point. His TD to INT ratio was horrendous last year too. 

What makes me think twice is that Pickett only had 1 good year in college (in 5 years there) whereas Howell was more consistent than Pickett and only played for 3 years.

Here is a play from Howell to Terry showing his rocket arm and accuracy

• Like 2

According to Jay, per Monson's tweet, I do think they took the phone call but perhaps didn't take a follow up call on it. Unless Purdy kills it, feels like Kirk ends up in SF next year.

Regardless, i know some hate Kirk like he's Dan Snyder level evil.  But for those interested, good article about mastering the position.  And when different beat guys including Keim reference all the camps they've been at and Howell reminds them the most of Kirk from the context of approach-work ethic.  Keim said Kirk is much more boisterous and talkative in practice but otherwise Howell's professional approach reminds him of Kirk. 

And others have said Howell has shown the best accuracy in camp since Kirk.  It's all sounds good to me.  Hopefully he's even better than Kirk.  But if he ends up Kirk level that's plenty good enough for me.  As I've said before Kirk might even be considered a great QB if he were clutch.  But lack of clutch play has dogged him IMO. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.20.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.22.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.22.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.23.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.24.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.25.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 7.26.04 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Commanders quarterback had a strong preseason but as we enter the regular season, opposing teams will be looking for weaknesses in his game to try and exploit. If there was one thing that teams might pick up on from his preseason performances it would be his ability to recognize blitzes and get them picked up. 

Now in general, I actually thought Howell did a good job working with center Nick Gates and getting things picked up in general, but he did take a few sacks, all of which were his fault rather than the offensive line. 

The first sack Howell took was in the preseason opener against the Browns. On this play, the Browns rush the slot corner and linebacker off the left side of the offensive line, while having the defensive end on the opposite side drop out into coverage. The offensive line are responsible for the four down defensive lineman and can also pick up the linebacker that blitzes. However, if any secondary player blitzes, like the slot corner, Howell is then responsible for that defender. 

After the game, I wrote that I thought Howell actually saw the slot corner and knew that he was responsible for him, which Howell confirmed after the game. However, I think he saw that the blitz would take a while to get there and he’d have the chance to throw over it to Jahan Dotson in the slot. What he didn’t expect was the safety working down to Dotson rather than carrying Curtis Samuel up the seam. My guess would be that safety threw him off and then he panicked a bit rather than calmly working to his running back in the flat as his checkdown. 

Now obviously Howell should have just taken the checkdown to the running back in the flat, but I think that’s a much easier error to correct than him not recognizing the blitz. The more worrying sack was the first sack he took against the Ravens. 

This blitz isn’t exactly the same as the one the Browns sacked Howell with, but it is a similar principle. The Ravens rush an extra defender off the right side and drop the edge rusher off the left side of the line. Again, I think Howell probably knows this rush is coming and the offensive line actually picks it up and handles it well. However, Howell shows that little bit of panic again. This time, he looks to throw over the blitzing linebacker and hit the slot out, but the safety is in position to defend it. 

Howell should then come back across the field where he has two crossing routes both breaking open. Instead, he immediately takes off running to his right, rolling into pressure and having to double back to his left. At that point, he can’t expect his line to be able to block for him because they no longer know where he is and thus where to protect. The trailing defenders eventually catch up to him and bring him down. 

These are correctable issues. The positives are that I think Howell saw both rushes coming and fully intended to throw over the top of them, which can often lead to the biggest gains. However, he got surprised by the safety rotating down from deep to cover the blitzer and then panicked on both plays when he had other options available. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see opposing defenses look to send similar blitzes in the opening weeks of the season. 

With that in mind, I thought I’d watch some of the Arizona Cardinals preseason All-22 ahead of their clash with the Commanders this weekend. I wanted to see if they were particularly blitz heavy, especially with this type of blitz that Howell took a few sacks on. What I found was that the Cardinals, under new head coach Jonathan Gannon, are quite similar schematically to what the Eagles were last year, which makes sense given Gannon was the Eagles defensive coordinator last year. 

The Eagles last year were primarily a quarters based defense with some man coverage mixed in too. Quarters coverage requires seven defenders to drop into coverage with four playing deep and three underneath. In preseason, the Cardinals showed they were going to live in quarters coverage regularly too. 

Here we see the Cardinals in their preseason opener against the Broncos. The Cardinals are in their nickel package with four rushers, two inside linebackers and five defensive backs. They drop back into their basic quarters coverage with the safeties and two outside corners playing deep while the linebackers and nickel corner play the underneath zones. 

Obviously if the Cardinals are dropping seven into coverage regularly to play quarters, then they can’t send a fifth rusher on a blitz. However, the Cardinals also showed a lot of man coverage concepts in preseason. 

This time we see the Cardinals defense against the Chiefs in their second preseason game. They try to disguise their intentions a little bit by keeping two safeties deep and split outside the hash marks, but actually they’re playing a variation of Cover 1 with each eligible receiver having a dedicated man with a safety in the deep middle of the field and a linebacker sitting in the middle of the field underneath. 

Playing man coverage has its risks because defenders have to cover one-on-one. With receivers like Terry McLaurin, Jahan Dotson and Curtis Samuel to contend with, it would be tough to prevent all three from getting open playing this style. Now the upside of man coverage is that it frees up a defender to join the rush, but the Cardinals consistently opted to keep that extra defender in coverage to help defend crossing routes, as you can see him doing here. 

This suggests to me that Gannon and the Cardinals aren’t necessarily likely to send a bunch of disguised blitzes at Howell and try to test if he’s learned from his mistakes in preseason. In fact, Gannon’s style with the Eagles was to focus more on playing sound coverage and trusting the front four to generate enough of a pass rush. However, in Philadelphia, Gannon did like to throw in the occasional Cover 0 call and that appears to have followed him to Arizona. 

These two plays were run back to back against the Broncos. The first play came on second and seven. The Cardinals line up in their base 3-4 front with the outside linebacker walked out towards the slot receiver. However, at the snap, the Cardinals send all available defenders to join the rush while the safeties rotate down to cover the slot and tight end in man coverage. This is a Cover 0 call where the defense plays pure man coverage and rushes every other available defender. Running it in this style means it takes a while to get home, but the surprise allows them to overrun the protection scheme and generate pressure, forcing the quarterback to throw it away. 

Having had success on the first play, the Cardinals call Cover 0 again on third down. This time they’re in a nickel package but the nickel ends up joining the rush. Once again it takes a little while to get there because the Cardinals are trying to disguise it, but it does eventually arrive and forces the quarterback to hurry a throw down the field which lands nowhere near a receiver. 

Cover 0 can be a great call to mix into a defensive scheme because it guarantees the defense can bring one more rusher than the offense is able to handle. However, the Cardinals preference for running it from depth while trying to disguise it does mean it leaves the offense extra time to attack it. Later in the same game, the Broncos took advantage of that.

This time, the Cardinals find themselves near the red zone in a fourth and five situation. Despite being spread out by the Broncos formation, they still opt to call Cover 0. The rush takes quite a while to make up ground from depth, giving the quarterback time to find a receiver. The quarterback is able to work to the slot receiver, who quickly cuts inside the safety rotating down to cover him. This is the downside of Cover 0. Once the safety is beat, which most slot receivers would expect to beat a safety, there is no help over the top to prevent that receiver from running all the way into the end zone. 

From watching the Cardinals in preseason and some of the Eagles scheme from last year, it seems unlikely that Gannon will look to call many blitzes. It’s even more unlikely that he’ll call the type of blitzes that Howell struggled with. However, Howell could potentially see a few Cover 0 calls mixed into the game which he will need to be ready to deal with. Fortunately, Howell saw a Cover 0 look from the Browns in preseason and I felt he handled it almost perfectly. 

On this third and short play, the Commanders look to run a variation of the mesh concept, which has been one of the top plays in third and short situations around the NFL for a number of years now. However, the Browns put six defenders on the line of scrimmage and have the remaining five defensive backs all line up across from the five eligible receivers. Howell recognizes it’s actually a Cover-0 blitz before he snaps the ball, so he uses it as an opportunity to attack. He adjusts the protection to slide to the left, picking up all the rushers apart from the edge rusher off the right side. That defender is unblocked and Howell knows he’s responsible for getting the ball out before that defender can get to him.

He does this because he knows that if the Browns are indeed sending a Cover 0 blitz, then the deep safety is the defender that will be responsible for the running back working out to the flat. As it’s only third and short, that’s a lot of ground for the safety to make up in order to save a first down and with the potential traffic created by the other receivers, there could be a big opportunity for additional yards after the catch down the sideline. 

Off the snap, Howell immediately starts to roll out to his right to try and avoid the unblocked defender and get his throw off to the running back in the flat. Unfortunately, the defender does a terrific job closing on Howell and getting his arms up to tip the pass, causing it to fall short of the running back. However, the overall point to note here is that Howell recognized the blitz, saw it as an opportunity to attack and took the necessary steps in order to do so. The mental process was fantastic and it’s just a shame that the defender tipped the pass, because if he hadn’t, that safety would have had a hard time stopping the running back in the flat.  

Now not all Cover 0 blitzes are equal and the Browns certainly made their rush more obvious than the Cardinals did in any of their Cover 0 calls. However, by making it obvious, the rushers didn’t have to make up as much ground and thus were able to generate pressure quicker, whereas the Cardinals were able to disguise their intentions more, but the pressure took longer to arrive. So that will be a different test for Howell, but it’s one that I expect he’ll pass because the mental process appears to be there. Still, until we see teams game planning specifically for him and dialing up looks he hasn’t seen before, we won’t know for sure how he’ll handle it. I fully expect the Commanders to beat the Cardinals on Sunday given the Cardinals appear to be tanking this season, but how Howell handles the Cover 0 blitzes will be more of a determining factor to how he will do going into tougher games than anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to Jay, per Monson's tweet, I do think they took the phone call but perhaps didn't take a follow up call on it. Unless Purdy kills it, feels like Kirk ends up in SF next year.

I bet they heard the offer, said no, and then that was the end of it for them.  I still can't believe how badly Kurt was mishandled by Bruce.  How deeply in denial do you have to be to refuse to sign your QB to an extension, but also do absolutely nothing to prepare for him to leave?  It was a surreal, slow moving disaster to watch play out, and it was crushing to watch as a powerless fan.

Any one of us on here could have done better than Bruce.  But I am at peace with how it all played out in the end, because I would have taken that #2 overall offer and spent it on DeShaun Watson.  And I would have looked pretty smart for doing it at first.  And then I would have inadvertently thrown thrown a pipeline of gasoline on the fire that could have burnt this franchise to the ground.  That 2017 draft was a minefield, but to Sam Monson's point: nobody would have drafted Patrick Mahomes #2 overall in April 2017.  People thought the Chiefs were crazy for moving up to 10 and reaching on him there.

• Like 1