Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is where I’m at as well. I think it’s obvious that Sam is a starter in this league. How good can he be? Time will tell. But that is my most important takeaway. Finding a quality starting QB has been our kryptonite. 

OL was terrible. Let’s hope they get better with reps. I know their upside is limited but let’s hope that’s their floor. Maybe we get lucky with a camp cut or two. 

I like what I've seen and heard about Howell.  But its so tricky with young QBs including some flashing early and fading that I want to see some sample size and game planning against Howell before I am sold.  But I definitely lean optimistic and have been leaning that way for quite some time.

As for the O line.  I think their best chance is Cosmi stays healthy and Paul develops.  I think that's their best shot for not sucking.   Leno IMO is just OK and faded at the end of last season and will be 32 this season.  Wylie I think is just a guy at best.  Gates as for his play in his career has been OK, nothing hot. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

As Doc Walker would say: he didn't wet the bed.

I don't think his performance is indicative at all of how he'll play in the regular season good or bad.

Really?

His short range accuracy seems to be on point.

I didn't see enough midrange or deep throws to come to similar conclusion, but even him consistently showing he can zip in short throws and run for first downs should carry over into regular season...two things we didn't have last year with any sort of consistency from QB position.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Really?

His short range accuracy seems to be on point.

I didn't see enough midrange or deep throws to come to similar conclusion, but even him consistently showing he can zip in short throws and run for first downs should carry over into regular season...two things we didn't have last year with any sort of consistency from QB position.

Deep throws are going to be few and far between unless he evades the entire defense to make the throw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Deep throws are going to be few and far between unless he evades the entire defense to make the throw.

I feel a bit bad for Howell considering what happened to him with that porous O line his last year at North Carolina.  But i think that might help prime him for what he will face here.  Though I doubt this coaching staff will let him run for 800 plus yards, etc like that season in NC.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I feel a bit bad for Howell considering what happened to him with that porous O line his last year at North Carolina.  But i think that might help prime him for what he will face here.  Though I doubt this coaching staff will let him run for 800 plus yards, etc like that season in NC.

They may not have a choice. His pocket had a Cleveland hand so far in it like they were using it as a leash.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh, facts...I'm not getting my hope up for any slow developing plays this year.

But what I also saw was the inevitable breakdown of a defense from them being human, Sam seeing it, and making them pay.

That was pretty cool even if we turn into an offense that runs and does short stuff as much as possible to protect the QB.

It will be up to our talented WR core to meet their hype and get open early as they can every passing play.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I was happy w/ Howell and JB

-Howell made good choices behind a bad oline. He's gonna have to stay real familiar w/ Mr. Throwballaway

-Used his legs

-Didn't panic

-Threw a good pass on the run too

-Accuracy was much better than it was vs Dallas

-JB beat up on guys below his weight class

-Had several wow throws

-Used his legs

-Was very aggressive for a guy who plays it safe. Dude was foaming at the mouth

-Fromm was really bad

-He has legs, He might be the fastest of the 3, at least in a straight line. He's better off using them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I

-Fromm was really bad

-He has legs, He might be the fastest of the 3, at least in a straight line. He's better off using them

I have no idea why Fromm is on the 93. I get we need an 3rd ‘break glass in an emergency’ QB and a human jugs machine for camp but Fromm just doesn’t belong on an NFL roster or practice squad. There has to be a better option somewhere we could add to the practice squad after cuts!! Bryce Perkins is still a free agent - there is at least a conceptual chance he could play at an NFL level.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I have no idea why Fromm is on the 93. I get we need an 3rd ‘break glass in an emergency’ QB and a human jugs machine for camp but Fromm just doesn’t belong on an NFL roster or practice squad. There has to be a better option somewhere we could add to the practice squad after cuts!! Bryce Perkins is still a free agent - there is at least a conceptual chance he could play at an NFL level.

Fromm has started NFL games.  He’s going to get for sure, but you need a live arm for camp and that 3rd preseason game

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I think Paulsen mis-spoke.

The drop was negated, so it did not factor into his 9/12

I remember him throwing two balls outta bounds as throw aways, and one where he was under heavy pressure where he had to force a pass to gibby that never got there and was short. You can call that one a throw away if you want, he was trying to dump it off to avoid a sack.

That's what I was remembering as well, but thought I must have been wrong lol...

A lot of people harp on the fact that Howell was a 5th round pick. My take is different. I feel we were fortunate that he fell to us in that round. I think he will turn into a solid QB if he can stay healthy. That's a big "if" with this OL.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

A lot of people harp on the fact that Howell was a 5th round pick. My take is different. I feel we were fortunate that he fell to us in that round. I think he will turn into a solid QB if he can stay healthy. That's a big "if" with this OL.

Harping so they can say "see this is why he was a 5th rounder" if he fails. But in reality he was pegged as a mid-late 1st rounder to high 2nd rounder. But I am glad we got him and he had the chance to sit for 16 games because of where he was selected. 

This is Bryce Young, thrown to the wolves behind a bad OL: 

The No. 1 overall pick participated in 11 plays over three drives in Saturday's 27-0 loss to the New York Jets. Young completed 4 of 6 passes for 21 yards, took one sack, and was popped a couple of other times.

All of Young's completions were short or behind the line of scrimmage, with only one attempt downfield.

• Thumb up 3

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Nice short breakdown on Sam in the first preseason game from JT O’Sullivan. Positive stuff overall.

In the game day thread, I made a joke about whether or not we were gonna start criticizing Howell's TD throw for almost overthrowing a wide open Dotson...Then this video calls that throw "probably one of his worst throws of the night" lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Perks of getting Howell... a crap OL his senior year prepped him for our crap OL. Plus that crap OL tanked him on draft day so he dropped to the 5th after a great Junior year. He made throws from outside the pocket on the move. It's a must have trait IMO. The days of a Rypien untouched in the pocket are long gone.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Leno IMO is just OK and faded at the end of last season and will be 32 this season. 

Leno was seriously hurt at the end of last season.  He was on some pod, maybe JPs, recently where he went through it a bit.

Not disagreeing with the overall point.  Older players tend to get more banged up the longer the season goes as a general rule.  And counting on players who have been banged up is very Bruce Allen-esque . So not disagreeing he is ok and could wear down.  Just providing additional context.  

He was playing through injury. He said at one point he couldn’t carry his infant child.  And his wife took a video she was going to post somewhere and didn’t because he couldn’t walk down the stairs.  Or something like that.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The QB room at the majority of HS’s in Maine are better than our QB room last year. 

But a lot of you guys (not saying you specifically) were saying how much better Wince was going to be and everybody who laughed at the signing and ridiculous trade of picks were going to be eating crow. :ols:

37 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

In the game day thread, I made a joke about whether or not we were gonna start criticizing Howell's TD throw for almost overthrowing a wide open Dotson...Then this video calls that throw "probably one of his worst throws of the night" lol...

I posted that as well.  It wasn’t a great throw.  It should have been laid out further upfield towards the sideline so Dotty could run under it without stoping.  Needed more touch and different ball placement by probably 3-4 yards.  

That said, it was still a catchable ball. Had to be a good catch, but it was where his guy could get it and nobody else could. Not every throw is going to be perfect. 

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. If we criticized our QBs last year for bad throws, we can do the same with Howell.

The difference is Howell has the arm to get it there (unlike REDACTED) and he didn’t miss by 3 zip codes (like Wemtz)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

Ta'amu would easily be a better 3rd QB than Fromm and has been with EB twice in KC. He knows the system and offers a whole hell of a lot more.

• Like 3