Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

17 hours ago, Conn said:

Sure, we were covering our bases. But we lost the career of a guy we spent 3 1sts and more on, and stumbled into a top-12 type QB in the 4th round while covering those bases. That’s bat**** insane when you really think about it. That’s lucky as hell. 

"Stumbled" is the right word.

Now that you mention it we were incredibly lucky.

Edited by El Mexican
Grammar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

So are Dalton and Trubisky the leading bargain bin, WCO-familiar backup free agents floating around?

I’m counting out Brissett because I feel he’ll get a $10M deal somewhere (similar to Fitzpatrick’s deal in Washington) which I’m assuming would be out of our price range. Ditto Mariota.

Yep. Not only WCO but they are guys who have been in the Reid system

• Thanks 1

I think Ron wants Taylor back, but doesn't want to pay him. And Taylor is probably miffed that winning more games than he lost as a starter and basically keeping Rivera employed led to him being benched for Carson Wentz and now a most likely lowball contract offer to stay. 

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I think Ron wants Taylor back, but doesn't want to pay him. And Taylor is probably miffed that winning more games than he lost as a starter and basically keeping Rivera employed led to him being benched for Carson Wentz and now a most likely lowball contract offer to stay. 

Well he’s likely going to find out what his value is on the open market - and if any offer from Washington is truly ‘lowball’. I think he will find that no one is giving him a deal that’s more than a backup level deal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Rivera owes Heinicke nothing. Let him walk, he'll be back on the street soon enough.

• Like 1

I think only a bottom level franchise like ours would have hired th off the couch where he had appropriately ended up after years of floating around like flotsam and jetsam in the first place.

And now only a really stupid fo would sign th as a backup. It's possible of course someone will. Lots of things are "possible."

If it's us I'll consider it a damning and very disappointing reflection on Ron and anyone else supporting it. But that sort of thing has been the norm for decades here.

• Like 6

Yes, i agree with Est.1974

Awhile back the thread had been a more intelligent discussion when the heinie talk had died. I was not reacting to it's slowly building return seen the last week or ten days, being tolerant of the return to stupidity other than making a couple of scathing rebuttals most recently. 

Don't want to do a mod thing. I'll simply suggest we return to the more intelligent posting which means "letting go" of a need to re-re-re-rehash him, at least until we hear if he's going to be in the team next season.

I will, of course, not make any more blowback posts in the meantime and hope my suggestion appeals to even the still-supportive heinie peeps, who remain our beloved brethren.  Ya can hate the position or arguments but not the member. At least not for this. 😁

🙂😇

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well he’s likely going to find out what his value is on the open market - and if any offer from Washington is truly ‘lowball’. I think he will find that no one is giving him a deal that’s more than a backup level deal 

A backup level deal... exactly what is that nowadays? 3 mil a year? 7 to 10? 

49 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

Rivera owes Heinicke nothing. Let him walk, he'll be back on the street soon enough.

I don't even care if Taylor is back, but without him Ron would be gone. 

Since all we have is Howell on the roster, we are going to be tabbed as an option for every QB with a pulse.

Staffy won't be the only QB we get linked to.

His contract is crazy tho. He is both hard to trade and hard to acquire... which is amazing.

Edited by FootballZombie

35 minutes ago, Hooper said:

A backup level deal... exactly what is that nowadays? 3 mil a year? 7 to 10?  

There are levels in the market. If you take out the guys still on rookie deals top of the market for someone like Jimmy G or Teddy Bridgewater was $7M. Andy Dalton was around $3M. Circa $4M per is probably where we will be - maybe $5M tops.

I took out Lamar, Carr, Daniel Jones and Geno

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/which-quarterbacks-make-top-nfl-free-agents-2023

Here’s a list of all QB's ranked by their 2022 average annual value, via Spotrac

• Baker Mayfield (27), Los Angeles Rams: $8.1 million – UFA
  • Sam Darnold (25), Carolina Panthers: $7.5 million – UFA
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (31), San Francisco 49ers: $7 million – UFA
  • Teddy Bridgewater (30), Miami Dolphins: $6.5 million – UFA
  • Case Keenum (34), Buffalo Bills: $6 million – UFA
  • Mason Rudolph (27), Pittsburgh Steelers: $5.08 million – UFA
  • Jacoby Brissett (30), Cleveland Browns: $4.6 million – UFA
  • Joe Flacco (37), New York Jets: $3.5 million – UFA
  • Andy Dalton (35), New Orleans Saints: $3 million – UFA
  • Mike White (27), New York Jets: $2.5 million – UFA
  • C.J. Beathard (29), Jacksonville Jaguars: $2.5 million – UFA
  • Kyle Allen (26), Houston Texans: $2.5 million – UFA
  • Taylor Heinicke (29), Washington Commanders: $2.3 million – UFA
  • Blaine Gabbert (33), Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $2.2 million – UFA
  • Chase Daniel (36), Los Angeles Chargers: $2 million – UFA
  • Nick Mullens (27), Minnesota Vikings: $2 million – UFA
  • Drew Lock (26), Seattle Seahawks: $1.7 million – UFA
  • Brandon Allen (30), Cincinnati Bengals: $1.5 million – UFA
  • Josh Johnson (36), San Francisco 49ers: $1.1 million – UFA
  • Nate Sudfeld (29), Detroit Lions: $1.03 million – UFA
  • Nathan Peterman (28), Chicago Bears: $1.03 million – UFA
  • Cooper Rush (29), Dallas Cowboys: $977,500 – UFA
  • Brett Rypien (26), Denver Broncos: $965,000 – UFA
  • Tyler Huntley (24), Baltimore Ravens: $895,000 – RFA
  • John Wolford (27), Los Angeles Rams: $895,000 – RFA
  • Phillip Walker (27), Carolina Panthers: $895,000 – RFA
  • Trace McSorley (27), Arizona Cardinals: $850,000 – UFA
  • Jarrett Stidham (26), Las Vegas Raiders: $788,423 – UFA
  • Bryce Perkins (25), Los Angeles Rams: $742,500 – ERFA
  • Easton Stick (27), Los Angeles Chargers: $699,391 – UFA
  • Gardner Minshew (26), Philadelphia Eagles: $677,721 – UFA
  • Shane Buechele (24), Kansas City Chiefs: $660,000 – ERFA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If people are of the opinion that we should hire QBs based off the number of wins the rest of their teams earned, I think we need to skip going for the lightweights like Heini. I want Chase Daniel. That man can BACKUP. I want someone with ice running through his veins while he holds his clipboard.

I want someone who, when the chips are down and the coach calls his name, has the tenacity and grit to say "I'm not really feeling it today, man. What about that kid over there? He's a nice chap."

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Jimmy G has a market value of $7M? That’s… odd.

I don’t buy that, personally. 

That was his contract last year with the 49ers as a backup. There were probably incentives on top of that if/when he started. 

His value as a starter this year will be much higher.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Wow. Nathan Peterman still has a job? Jesus. He must have some dirt on Chicago's owner.

Trubisky sucked in Chicago, sat in Buffalo for a year, and then got hyped for existing on the same roster as Josh Allen. Peterman sucked in Buffalo, and is now sitting in Chicago. If they keep him for another year and Fields stops being bad, Peterman is going to be due for a pay day.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Trubisky sucked in Chicago, sat in Buffalo for a year, and then got hyped for existing on the same roster as Josh Allen. Peterman sucked in Buffalo, and is now sitting in Chicago. If they keep him for another year and Fields stops being bad, Peterman is going to be due for a pay day.

I actually don't think Trubisky would be an awful pickup as a backup QB, though it sounds like the Steelers want to keep him. Depends on how much he'd cost. If he's cheap, sure. He's not good but his traits remind me a bit of Howell. Big arm, athletic and can make plays with his legs.

Though unfortunately I think we all know that within a week of him signing here the Temple of Trubisky would inevitably pop up and make our lives just a little bit worse.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Though unfortunately I think we all know that within a week of him signing here the Temple of Trubisky would inevitably pop up and make our lives just a little bit worse.

I'm ready to shave my head. Just waiting for him to light the flare.

Edit: New icon alert! ^^

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, Jumbo said:

after years of floating around like flotsam and jetsam in the first place.

7dzcc8.jpg

Well, Martin popped a hole in the Lamar spy balloon hoax, I tried to get everyone fired up about Brady again, but was defeated by zcommand and an adorable kitten, so when Sneakers old coach starts swinging his opinion around the internet, you know this thread is gonna swirl down the Heini Hole.

• Haha 6

Micah Hyde was on gmfb this a.m. as a guest host. They played a q&a game and one question was who did Richardson run faster than in the 40 at the combine: Stefon Diggs, Isiah Pacheco, or Terry McLaurin.

The answer was Diggs and when they showed all the times for each guy, Terry had the fastest time at 4.35 and Hyde loudly blurts out in a real heartfelt tone "Can' I get a quarterback for him, please?" 

I think we all know that's how every NFL player sees Terry. A guy who would be on equal footing with the biggest names at wr if he'd ever had a real qb. Even with what Terry's accomplished in his situation they all think he's wasted here and they all think he's the ****.

I have solid hope for Howell but as a football fan I still wish we could see Terry play with a current top three qb cuz that's where he belongs.

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Micah Hyde was on gmfb this a.m. as a guest host. They played a q&a game and one question was who did Richardson run faster than in the 40 at the combine: Stefon Diggs, Isiah Pacheco, or Terry McLaurin.

The answer was Diggs and when they showed all the times for each guy, Terry had the fastest time at 4.37 and Hyde loudly blurts out in a real heartfelt tone "Can't we get this guy a qb?" 

I think we all know that's how every NFL player sees Terry. A guy who would be on equal footing with the biggest names at wr if he'd ever had a real qb. Even with what Terry's accomplished in his situation they all think he's wasted here and they all think he's the ****.

I have solid hope for Howell but as a football fan I still wish we could see Terry play with a current top three qb cuz that's where he belongs.

That's one of the reasons my comp for Terry has always been Tim Brown. Guy was every bit as good as Jerry Rice or better, but in a bad situation for his entire career.

• Like 4