Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

This should cease to even be a Wentz vs Heinicke discussion.  The minute the coaches made it apparent they would not go into 2022 with Heinicke starting, any idea that Heinicke could be coached into being an NFL starter left the building.  The focus should be on Wentz and whether a good QB is still there to be salvaged. I think there is, but that will be on Wentz to go out there and show it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t believe for a second that Philly has moved on. I’ve seen this too many times where a team “moved on” only to swoop in and make a deal. As for SF, what do they have to offer? Didn’t they trade the farm to move up to get  Trey Lance? 

You should be nearly undefeated when the defense allows net 21 or fewer points.  A return for a TD is on the offense or teams and the defense only gets tagged for 4 max if the other guys take over inside the 30 and get a TD. 8 times last season our defense achieved this and we went just 5-3 as such games are defensive wins (whether you actually got the win or not). Of the games where our defense allowed more than 21 points, we went 2-7. Of the two wins, one included a KO return for a TD (offense scored net 27) and a botched pass that gave the Giants 3. Further, if your defense gives up less than 350 yards, you should win almost every time. We went just over 500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

I don’t believe for a second that Philly has moved on. I’ve seen this too many times where a team “moved on” only to swoop in and make a deal. As for SF, what do they have to offer? Didn’t they trade the farm to move up to get  Trey Lance? 

I suspect in Philly's case "moved on" is a polite euphemism for "Watson has other destinations in mind and he's not waiving his no trade clause for you."

Kind of like what happened to us with Russell Wilson.

13 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I suspect in Philly's case "moved on" is a polite euphemism for "Watson has other destinations in mind and he's not waiving his no trade clause for you."

Kind of like what happened to us with Russell Wilson.

Yeah there have been multiple reports that Watson is pretty firm on what teams he'll accept being traded to. Apparently Philly (and Washington) is pretty much firmly in the "no" category.

That doesn't mean that Philly has to stop asking, but it also means it probably will go absolutely nowhere. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Say Watson goes to Tampa. Brady unretires and goes to San Fran, giving Lance another year to learn.  2 Superbowl contenders to join LA and Green Bay.

I think TB would own Brady's rights (could be wrong). SF doesn't really have the ammo for that trade.

Edited by Burgold

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

"Cap hell" is basically a myth because the cap increases by so much every year.

That and they can easily move money from one place to another. Even teams that are supposedly right up or even over the cap can make big deals. 

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

Starting to think salary cap hell is a myth. 

44744140-611B-4772-A4C0-3F70F02F1D99.jpeg

Teams are better off waiting to convert $$$ to SB year in and year out because you really only want to do this with players you want to keep at their current price. 

These conversions are effectively taking "non-guaranteed" money and converting it to guaranteed money... that's why teams don't do it from the start.

3 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

These conversions are effectively taking "non-guaranteed" money and converting it to guaranteed money... that's why teams don't do it from the start.

Bingo.

Plus it hurts you down the line.  Lets say a player has three years of 10 million each season left on his contract (none of it gauranteed).   If you convert his 10 million salary into a signing bonus, that 10 million is spread over 3 years.  So now only 3.33 million counts against the cap saving your 6.66 million.  But the next two years, you will have 13.33 million against the cap so it all equals out.   

If you did the same thing the following you (spreading their 10 million year salary in year 2 over the two years of the contract by making it a signing bonus), he would only count 8.33 million against the cap in year 2, but in year three you now have 18.33 million against the cap rather than 10 million.  So you are just pushing the issue down the road.  Even if you cut that player in year 3 its 8.33 of dead cap on you.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:59 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe it's just me but all year long I saw TH over throwing his receivers all the time. Looking at this video the plays are not even comparable yet I see TH over throwing the receivers. I'll admit we need a better QB I'm just saying IDK that arm strength is an issue. 

29 minutes ago, VRIEL1 said:

Maybe it's just me but all year long I saw TH over throwing his receivers all the time. Looking at this video the plays are not even comparable yet I see TH over throwing the receivers. I'll admit we need a better QB I'm just saying IDK that arm strength is an issue. 

Sailing a ball over the receiver on intermediate throws is not an indicator of adequate armstrength.  Just check out these two plays, in the first, Heinicke leads Terry way out to his left because he can't drive the ball up the hashes.  Terry could have arguably caught this ball, but either way he's tackled at the 10 as a result of having to give up the ground laterally.  Meanwhile, the exact same play Wentz doesn't need to try to lead his receiver away from the defender, he just throws it over top of him because he can.  Credit to Mark Bullock for these, I recommend his blog:

I think if anyone is looking for a reason to be excited, it's the above.  That's the special sauce, and it can hopefully more than make up for the areas where he's not as good, like passing up easy checkdowns, etc.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2