Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

53 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Ron is the HEAD COACH of a team that has had two 10 loss seasons. This in about the 100 years of NFL history IS the equivalent of two strikes. For a HEAD COACH, you are ACCOUNTABLE for everything, even if it is not your fault. 

Let's start with he did not have 2 10 loss seasons. And you can yell all you want but Ron is not going anywhere. It's not as black and white as you want it to be. It's a fact we were poised for a PO run but got ravaged by Covid, something we have not had for "100 years". And both years his starting QBs have gotten injured. Those are just simply facts. And they go into the entire story like it or not. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Disagree and by a mile.   but I'll play along, fire Ron, who do you think Dan will attract to replace him?

I have no idea and is not relevant anyway. I am not arguing that Ron will or should be fired, am only stating the FACT that only 1 HC  who did not have success (record-wise) over his first 3 years is likely a fail. Even the only coach to not have a winning record in year 3 who went on to have success almost beat the 1970 season champ and the 1971 AFC champ. Ron may go 12-5 next year (we were just 5 plays away this season) and win our play-in game which would obviously give him another season. He could go 2-15 (we were just 5 plays away from that in 2021) and obviously would be gone. The only point is if the team is mediocre next year, he will almost certainly be another fail (not necessarily fired, just another fail maybe like Turner or Gruden who weren't fired until year 7 and 6 receptively).

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Let's start with he did not have 2 10 loss seasons. And you can yell all you want but Ron is not going anywhere. It's not as black and white as you want it to be. It's a fact we were poised for a PO run but got ravaged by Covid, something we have not had for "100 years". And both years his starting QBs have gotten injured. Those are just simply facts. And they go into the entire story like it or not. 

Yes, he has had two ten loss season. Further, I did not say 100 years of our history, I said in ABOUT 100 years of NFL history. Again, excuses for failure are not relevant for a person who is the HEAD COACH.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

serious question who do you think Dan will attract to coach this team?

The one person who can do everything.

If you think her jersey design talents are amazing, just wait until you see Tanya coach up the D.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Trubisky

giphy.gif

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Yes, he has had two ten loss season. Further, I did not say 100 years of our history, I said in ABOUT 100 years of NFL history. Again, excuses for failure are not relevant for a person who is the HEAD COACH.

How do you figure 2 10 loss season unless you include the POs? That makes even less sense. Let's punish him for making the POs? LOL  And I said nothing about "our" history. "We" meaning we as a society has never had Covid to deal with. May want to slow down a little. 

No reason to continue here. Ron is not going anywhere no matter how much you yell otherwise. Have a good day! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Do people here prefer Wentz or Trubisky/Marriotta?

I would take a risk on Wentz. The others have no chance of being the medium to long term solution. Wentz appears to be a complete dick, but he has more ability than those two, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Not sure anyone wants to trade for him. Isn’t he a FA?

Does it really. matter he’s not going to get us a SB or get Deep in the playoffs I rather draft a qb and keep TH as back up. I’m tired of Mediocre at best QBs 

Edited by redskin301
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Does it really. matter he’s not going to get us a SB or get Deep in the playoffs I rather draft a qb and keep TH as back up. I’m tired of Mediocre at best QBs 

Agree. I was just clearing up that we wouldn’t need to trade for him.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, cool got it.  So you were arguing how Dan would see it, not you.  I'd agree with that Dan is delusional as heck.   

Exactly.  

There are 2 things really working in Dan's favor if he has to find a new coach: (Assuming he doesn't get forced out)

1. This is still one of only 32 NFL Head Coaching jobs in the world.  And there is great demand for those jobs.  

2. Assuming all stays the same on the football front, he can point to however many years of Rivera where he did not interfere, and claim (probably truthfully) that he gave Ron every chance to succeed.  

Now, will that be enough?  Who knows.

Working against him are an ever growing reputation of mis-handling of every possible situation you can imagine, the workplace misconduct scandal, the fan revolt over the new branding, inadequate team facilities, the worst stadium experience in the NFL in the worst stadium in the NFL, and a dwindling fan base that is in open revolt over the owner.

The more the suck continues, and the longer the story lingers, the harder it's going to attract top-end talent, in any facet of the organization.

I mean, it could happen.  But the longer this stuff drags on, the less and less likely it is...

26 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Do people here prefer Wentz or Trubisky/Marriotta?

So, I prefer none of them on their own.  If paired with a rookie QB who is clearly the guy they are grooming for 2023, then ...

1. I don't think Wentz fits into Ron's culture.  So I'm not sure he would even be considered.  Dude seems to be an enormous ass.  But if you are evaluating ONLY the football side ...

1a. You have to trade for Wentz.  Now, I'm not sure what Wentz's market would be.  Could you get him for a 4th or 5th?  If so, he's a more proven and better QB right now than either Mitch or Marcus.  I would probably give up a 5th which could escalate to a 3rd under certain conditions for Wentz assuming he's bought in AND there is a rookie in the building as well.

2. If the compensation is more than a 5th, I would probably go with either Mitch or Marcus.  I don't know why, but I kindof prefer Marcus?  But I really don't care about either one.

The key would be, none of the three would be "the answer." They all have to been seen as stop gaps.  IF Mitch can have a re-birth like Tannehill did, and prove to be a qualified starter, great.  But you can't bank on that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Jim Zorn?

So, Zorn is a special case.  First, they wanted to hire Jim Fassel.  Fassel would not have been a big name, but he would fit into that "average" class of NFL coaches. The problem was, the fans revolved, and they heard it, and got cold feet.  And by that point, they had already hired Zorn as OC (at Fassel's recommendation) and had Greg Blache as DC, and a lot of the coaching staff was going to stick around from the Gibbs staff,

When they got cold feet with Fassel, they really had no good options.  Hindsight being 20/20, they really should have just hired Fassel, and hoped for the best.  

That really is the only completely bizarre Dan hire.  

He hired Marty, then fired Marty for Spurrier.  Then Spurrier quit and he got Gibbs. Then Gibbs resigned, and the Zorn thing happened.  Then he rebounded with Mike Shanahan.  Then Bruce hired Jay.  Then Dan hired Ron.

Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan and Ron are all good hires  Spurrier should never have ben hired, but at that time, he was as hot a prospect as there was out there.  

To @Skinsinparadise's point, I don't know that this can continue.  There is a cumulative effect of suckitude over the years.  However, I'm sure Dan looks at this track record and thinks he did an awesome job.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera's tenure has been far from a disaster.  But even if I thought it was, for those who want to see Rivera fired before his tenure -- serious question who do you think Dan will attract to coach this team?

I wonder, if we cross-referenced people who want to fire Ron with the ones that said McVay "didn't make adjustments" and Kyle Shanahan "only got the job because of his dad;" how many would be the same?

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

The game tonight is why I'd trade the farm for Carr. I think he's very much in the Stafford territory. Not Rodgers/Brady/Manning level, but enough to take a team deep into the playoffs and give you a fighting chance.

Just now, Peregrine said:

This superbowl proved definitively, dont draft a QB, instead trade for a vet from another team, or otherwise you cant win the superbowl.

I mean that seems the proper interpretation for this forum.

That or get a 1st overall pick to draft someone named Joe. Swap the QBs and I'd say the game has the same result.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Carr is good but Stafford was legitimately elite but stuck on a garbage franchise. 

The same comparison went for Stafford vs. Brady. Stafford isn't anywhere near Brady's level, and neither is Carr, but after watching Stafford this season, I think it's a little too easy to just write off a QB with "but his team isn't THAT bad." Take away the QB who props them up, both will be seen in a different light.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The same comparison went for Stafford vs. Brady. Stafford isn't anywhere near Brady's level, and neither is Carr, but after watching Stafford this season, I think it's a little too easy to just write off a QB with "but his team isn't THAT bad." Take away the QB who props them up, both will be seen in a different light.

I'd be horrified of Watson on a semi-competent squad. He was electric on a horrific team.

If you can see a guy is legit, even when surrounded by trash... that's a "dude" dude.

• Like 2